Chapter 8: A Sweet Breakfast Pt. II
215 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wan Xinyue was surprised, “Oh, they added two new dishes to the menu.”

Gao Long pushed up his round glasses, “Let’s just order the brown butter yeasted waffles without toppings since they’re the cheapest.” 

Everyone nodded and Wan Xinyue raised her hand.

“Excuse me, we’d like to order now.”

The masked waiter walked over and Fu Lian followed him. She placed the mask onto her face and it just stuck on. Fu Lian was surprised that it didn’t feel like anything was on her face and she could actually breathe through the mask.

He cheerfully said, “Esteemed guests, please give us your order.”

“For now, we’d like four brown butter yeasted waffles.”

“Right away.” 

As Fu Lian followed the masked waiter, she finally decided to ask the question that had been on her mind. She tapped on the waiter’s shoulder and he turned around.

[What do I call you?]

“Well. Master never gave me a name, but we can ask him later after breakfast service is over.”

They walked into the kitchen and saw Fu Chen standing next to four waffle irons filled with waffle batter. He looked at them and told them, “They’re halfway done so get ready to bring them out to the guests.”

Fu Lian was a bit confused.

[How did you already know their order before we told you?]

The masked waiter answered the question in Fu Chen’s stead. “This whole building is part of my master so he heard their order when that girl talked to us.”

“Ding”

The waffles were done cooking so Fu Chen placed them on white plates that were the perfect size for each of the round waffles. The plates were placed on a black tray and the masked waiter carried it out of the kitchen. Fu Lian and the masked waiter walked to Xinyue’s table. Surprisingly, another person was being led by the masked host towards a table next to Xinyue’s group. It was an old man who had a hunched back that wore a brown bathrobe.

Gao Wu, Gao Long, and Sun Ning were slightly weirded out, but Wan Xinyue started to make conversation with the old man with a smile on her face. “Hello Mr. Du, are you here for rice again?”

Mr. Du smiled and responded, “Hello little Xinyue, I’m ordering some spicy beef curry today.”

Wan Xinyue had a worried look on her face, “Are you sure you’ll be able to handle it?”

She had tried the spicy beef curry yesterday and although it tasted great, she couldn’t handle the spiciness. Mr. Du laughed, “I may be over 400 years old, but I should be able to eat some spicy food.”

The masked waiter placed down the tray and distributed the plates to each person in Xinyue’s group. “Here are your brown butter yeasted waffles. I hope you enjoy them.” The group thanked him and he headed towards Mr. Du’s table. Mr. Du immediately ordered. “I would like one bowl of spicy beef curry.”

“The food will be here shortly.”

Wan Xinyue had already started eating the waffle and looked very happy. The other three took a bite of their waffles, their eyes lit up, and they started to rapidly devour their food. Suddenly, they stared at their empty plates, surprised that there was nothing left, Wan Xinyue and Mr. Du saw their dumbfounded expressions and laughed. 

“Here is your spicy beef curry.” 

Mr. Du smiled, “As delicious smelling as yesterday’s bowl. Time to dig in.” After eating a few bites, a delighted expression could be seen on his wrinkled face. ‘The fluffy rice has soaked up the spicy curry and complements the textures of the tender potatoes and fall-apart beef.’

Wan Xinyue’s group had ordered four more plates of waffles with different toppings. They quickly gobbled up the waffles and satisfied expressions could be seen on all of their faces. Gao Long started talking, “Xinyue, although the food is the best I’ve ever eaten, I don’t think it’s worth the credits. We can eat here from time to time, but we need to buy cultivation resources.” 

Mr. Du stopped eating his second bowl of spicy beef curry and politely interjected, “Young man, you should check your spirit veins first.” 

Gao Long checked his dantian and was surprised. “How is this possible? Why do my spirit veins have so much energy?” Everyone else checked their spirit veins and were surprised at their increase in energy. They had all increased by at least one level. 

Cultivators absorb energy from their surroundings and concentrated energy sources like energy crystals. The absorbed energy enters the body and travels into veins called spirit veins that exist throughout the body. As the energy circulates through the spirit veins, the spirit veins are strengthened and are able to contain more energy. After cultivators absorb the required energy and strengthen their spirit veins for the first time, they will ‘level up’ to LVL 2. Usually, cultivators will have to control the energy and circulate it through their body in order to strengthen their spirit veins, but there were some special constitutions that automatically circulated the absorbed energy and strengthened the spirit veins. The automatic process is way easier than having to manually circulate the energy and those with special constitutions are usually envied. There were processes that existed with the current technology of the Azula Galactic Empire that could change a person’s spirit veins into a special constitution, but the process was very expensive and usually reserved for the wealthy.

This was why they were all so surprised since energy consumables capable of automatically circulating through normal spirit veins did not exist within the empire or any other galactic empires. 

Gao Wu, Gao Long, and Sun Ning all had shocked expressions on their faces and collectively said, “This is unbelievable.” 

Wan Xinyue was delighted with their reactions, “I know, right? I was also as shocked when Mr. Du told me to check my spirit veins yesterday.”

Everyone finished eating their meals and headed towards the exit. Suddenly, “I hope that you enjoyed your meals and will continue your greatly valued patronage, dear customers.” Gao Wu, Gao Long, and Sun Ning were surprised at hearing the host, waiter, and a new voice thank them. They turned around and saw the masked host, waiter, Fu Lian, and Fu Chen bowing. Mr. Du smiled and warmly responded, “Fu Chen, your food was delicious, of course I will continue to visit.” 

The others thanked Fu Chen and promised to visit again. Everyone exited the restaurant and Fu Chen could be seen with a horrific smile on his face. 

4