Chapter 28: Lang Clan Celebration Pt. III
176 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The main table was served first. Just like the previous trays of food, there were 3 different desserts on each tray. 

Fu Lian picked up a spoon and focused her attention on a bowl with three spheres of black ice cream. A caramel sauce was drizzled on top of the black spheres along with pieces of brown bits sprinkled everywhere. 

She scooped up some of the ice cream with the toppings and placed it into her mouth. The ice cream began to melt from the warmth within Fu Lian’s mouth. As it turned into liquid, the ice cream slowly coated her tongue. 

Not wanting the ice cream to melt anymore, Fu Lian quickly moved her mouth and consumed the ice cream.

“mmmm”

The texture of the ice cream was satisfyingly smooth and creamy with a sweet, nutty, and pleasantly bitter flavor. She could taste some sweetness and saltiness from the viscous caramel and enjoyed the crunch that the sprinkled brown bits had. As she continued eating, Fu Lian discovered that there were black seeds within the dairy dessert. Biting into the seeds released an intense nuttiness with slight bitterness which was similar to the flavor of the ice cream. 

Fu Chen made a small smile as he watched Fu Lian enjoy the cold dessert. He looked down at his own platter of desserts and quickly devoured his own bowl of ice cream. 

“clink” 

Fu Chen placed his spoon down and picked up a cup of water.

“gulp, gulp, gulp” 

After he drank a few mouthfuls of water to cleanse his palate, Fu Chen wiped his mouth with a napkin and held a new spoon that a server gave him. In front of him was a white plate with a large slice of pie. The dessert consisted of three layers: the thin pie crust, bright yellow lemon filling, and meringue topping. 

Fu Chen used his spoon to separate a piece of the pie and ate it. The thin pie crust was flaky and tender with a rich, buttery flavor. As the lemon filling touched his tongue, Fu Chen’s taste buds were hit by the tart(slightly acidic with some sweetness) lemon flavor of the filling. The wave of sourness was followed by a wave of sweetness from the sugar that had been added into the creamy and smooth lemon filling. 

The meringue was light and fluffy with a texture of whipped cream. It wasn’t sickly sweet and perfectly balanced the tart lemon filling. A slight toasty flavor could be tasted from the meringue which had been slightly browned. 

He finished the rest of the delightful pie and replaced the empty plate with one that had a slice of chocolate cake on it. There were three layers of sponge cake with a chocolate filling. Strawberries rested on top of a chocolate ganache that was slowly oozing down the sides of the cake. 

After cleansing his palate with water again, Fu Chen took a bite of the cake after cutting off a piece with his spoon. The cake was fluffy, tender, and moist with a rich chocolate flavor. The filling itself was creamy, sweet, and had a slightly bitter chocolate flavor that was extremely rich. Espresso powder had been included in the filling in order to create a darker, richer chocolate flavor. Although there was espresso powder in the filling, it didn’t add a coffee flavor to the cake. 

He bit into another spoonful of the cake with a large strawberry on top. The plump strawberry tasted fruity, slightly acidic, and very sweet. Juices came out of where Fu Chen bit into the strawberry and mixed with the chocolate ganache. The sweetness of the red fruit balanced the bitterness of the intensely rich chocolate cake. 

It was simple compared to the previous two that combined various textures and flavors together, but the chocolate cake was still a satisfying dessert to eat. 

Fu Chen drank some more water and signaled for another platter of desserts. While he waited, Fu Chen looked around his table and saw some familiar people enjoying their desserts. Du Hong looked up, wiped his face with a napkin, and smiled at Fu Chen. Fu Chen acknowledged him and then thanked the server who arrived with a new tray of desserts. 

---------------

Dinner ended an hour later and Lang Ya signaled for the entertainment to begin. While dancers were performing, the guests had started casual conversations with each other. Fu Chen made some small talk with Du Hong and several other guests near his table. Most of the people unfamiliar with Fu Chen were confused why Lang Ya considered him to be an important guest since he seemed so ordinary.

The fox woman sitting at the head of the table was also confused until she received information about him that her subordinates could access. Her expression changed slightly and she looked oddly at Fu Chen who turned his head and nodded in her direction. 

The performance reached its climax and the guests politely applauded. Suddenly, the banquet hall ceiling opened to reveal the night sky dotted with bright stars and a full moon. Everyone looked up and saw fireworks launching into the sky.

“Bang! Bang! Bang!”

They exploded into bright lights that depicted a white fox next to a reddish-orange and white wolf. The colorful and gigantic picture that appeared in the sky awed the crowd below and people outside of the Lang Clan territory.

The celebration ended soon afterwards and most of the guests left after saying their goodbyes. Fu Chen and Fu Lian stood within the mostly empty banquet hall next to Lang Ya, Du Hong, Old Peng, and Shi Feng. Lang Ya beckoned them to follow her. They walked out of the banquet hall and into a tall office building. Everyone stepped into an elevator which descended underground.

“ding”

The elevator doors opened up to reveal a hallway filled with metal doors. Lang Ya stepped towards one of the doors and opened them to reveal a group of people sitting inside.

5