004 Dealing with Death
347 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His eyes opened to a slightly blurry world of muted colors. He was floating in liquid. Something was covering his mouth and stuck down his throat. The instant he tried to move there was a harsh buzzing sound and a red light flashed.

Lilithana’s voice spoke in one ear. “Don’t move. You are in a healing tank. If you break the wrong thing you could drown and die.”

Ok. He waited.

A few minutes later Lilithana’s feet then legs appeared in front of him as she lowered her nude self into the tank with him. She worked swiftly disconnecting many small wires, and other uncomfortable things, from all over his body. She climbed out then pulled him onto a metal grate. She disconnected a mask and pulled the tubes from his mouth.

He winced as fresh air hit his raw throat.

She dropped a large fuzzy cloth on his head and said, “Dry off.” as she did the same.

“How am I not dead?”

“You have been in a healing tank for twelve days. Your bones are healed enough for you to start your mental education.”

“What happens now?”

“I have been left in charge of your training. I find you interesting, but training is not my usual job. If you anger Cinder again I will force her take over. I don’t have time to dedicate to your constant medical treatments. Maybe she will go easier on you if she is the one who has to treat you.”

“I think I will take your advice of staying away from her.”

“Good.”

“What’s this thing?” He pulled at the thick metal ring still stuck on his neck.

“That is a training collar. It will let you practice using Mecromancer powers. It also has an internal storage so you can spawn weapons and equipment while you train.” A long metal staff inlaid with crystals and runic patterns appeared in her hand. “All mecromancers have an internal storage. You will have to wear yours for now.” The staff vanished.

“That’s a neat trick.”

She finished drying her hair. “Shall we continue your orientation? You seem to like me being direct and I have much work to do. Is it ok if I skip to the end? I will add the rest to your training regimen.”

“That’s fine.” He finished drying off.

“We want you to become a Mecromancer. It will involve years of difficult training and the implantation is a dangerous process. But if you survive, you will become basically immortal and more powerful than anyone, other than another mecromancer.”

“Wow.”

“We will send you to another world, called Geothae, to find the Cradle. Once you locate and return the Cradle and Endrala is free, you will be free to do whatever you want with your life and power.”

His life was a constant struggle for survival. He could not even picture a long life with power and freedom. But there was a burning question he had to ask. “What happens if I say no?”

“It has taken us far too long to find a compatible candidate. We cannot let you leave and we have ways to make you compliant.”

“That is a long way of saying I don’t have a choice.”

“You have a choice as to how much you suffer through this process.” She bowed slightly. “I think you would be a much more capable Mecromancer, if you do it willingly. And I have no desire to cause you harm.”

“I will get food and shelter while I am here?”

“Yes. There are also programs in the training simulator to let you socialize and release stress. It is my job to ensure all of your needs are met.” There was a strong emphasis on the word ‘all’.

He swallowed and reflexively eyed her slender form up and down at the implied offer. He felt his cheeks glowing as other parts of his body responded to his thoughts. He noticed her sly grin and wished he had clothes. “All?” He managed to say.

“You are my claim. I would like to mate with you. I am attempting flirting to get you more comfortable with the idea. I want it to be mutual.” She licked her lip slowly, but somehow wrong.

Since fourteen, he had lived a solitary, nomadic life. He only had experience with one woman before. While he found the odd speech and behavior sort of cute, her forwardness was, unexpected. His unease had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that this woman was a terrifyingly powerful Goddess of Death who could break him into tiny pieces if he did or said the wrong thing. “May…maybe later.”

“You are shy. I like that.” She gave him a once or twice over with her eyes.

“So, um… what else was it we needed to talk about?”

She leaned forward and pitched her voice high like she was playfully talking to an infant. “You were agreeing to be a good little boy and do all your chores so that you get snacks and treats.”

“So are you a snack or a treat?” He blurted out without thinking then buried his glowing face in his hands. “Please don’t kill me.”

“While I would like continue flirting, I think it best we get back my original offer.” She nodded. “I suggest you consider your physical condition. We treated your wounds from both of your figh… um, combat encounters, and you will make a full recovery. That is just a sample of what we offer you. But you must be willing to do what is necessary to find the Cradle and complete the mission.”

He nodded and took a step back. He stretched his stiff back and limbs as he looked over his body. The cuts and bruises from before were all but gone. There were some dull aches but even old scars seemed to have faded a bit. It had taken only twelve days to heal him from all those wounds. Many of which would have been fatal in the wild tunnels. The powers and abilities here were far beyond anything he had ever imagined. Another question came to him. “Explain necessary.”

“I don’t know the full political situation on Geothae. I don’t know if someone is holding the Cradle or if others will try to interfere with our search. All I know is that Endrala needs the Cradle to survive. But you understand doing what is necessary to survive.”

Survive? He had lived and breathed that for a decade. He was tired of spending every day fighting for scraps of food, tired of spending every night alone and worried about if something was going to eat him. He had suffered enough. She was offering food, safety, incredible power, and sex with Lilithana Gurista, the Goddess of Death. It was a damn tempting offer. “I have a question.”

“I will always answer anything I can.”

“There are a lot of conflicting legends about all the different gods. How do they all fit together? I mean…”

She held a hand up. “Many legends are fictional or distorted. Other legends tell of mecromancers who are no longer with us. While I like studying the folklore, I think it best to stick with facts. You were trying ask about who is here, correct?”

He nodded.

The only mecromancers living here are me, Cinder, and Karimere. I am usually represented as a goddess of death, divine punishment, and rebirth. Cinder has many names. She is usually seen as a goddess of conflict, martial arts and bones. Karimere Lifeshaper, is variously seen as a goddess of creation, fertility, lust, trickery, spite, among others. I am the youngest here and Karimere is the oldest and above everyone. There are other mecromancers but they help run things outside the lab. We can discuss them later.”

“There are a lot of tales about mortals dying horribly after making deals with Karimere and the other gods.”

“You were starving and dying when you were teleported here. We have saved your life, twice and healed your body. I don’t know what else I could do to show you that your life and wellbeing is important to me.”

“The second time was only necessary because of Cinder.”

“I think you are nervous and stalling. You have the facts. I am unfortunately running low on time to debate you. Accept now and I will give you a double ration at every meal for a six-day, starting with two meals in your room as soon as we get done here.”

He laughed to himself. A deal with the Lilithana Gurista and Karimere Lifeshaper, and I accept at the mention of food. “I’ll take the deal.”

“Good. The first thing you must learn is that the mission comes first. We call this the First Rule. You must never violate the First Rule. If that requires you to kill me or leave me to die the so be it.”

“Damn. You are some serious people.”

“Yes. Orders are also important here. Do as you are told or you will be punished. For reference I consider what Cinder did to you a harsh punishment, mainly because it delayed your training. I know several moderate punishments that are much more painful but do not have such a lengthy recovery.”

He took a step back.

“You are below Mecromancers but above all other test subjects. Your position will grant you some freedoms and privileges. You will get your own room and be able to manage your own time and training. For those privileges, we expect results. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“I have claimed you. That means you are mine to use whenever I want. If another mecromancer tries to use you sexually remind them of my claim.”

Use? Dammit. I accepted the deal. I have to live with the costs. He had to give her one thing, she lived up to the legends about gods and their deals. “When are you going to… use me?”

“You are important. I am to care for your body and mind. I want you, but I will let you take your time, for now. Besides, once that adorable shyness goes away it never comes back.” She leaned in and kissed him quickly on the lips.

He glowed red. Then he was relieved when she let him to follow a drone to his new room.

15