011 Dont let the door hit you
189 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilithana reactivated the ball of silence after Jade left. “I didn’t want to hide this, but I had to.”

Karimere spawned a fluffy cushion and sat on it. “Please, enlighten me.”

“I didn’t warn you because I didn’t want to risk Cinder reading it from your mind. I was worried about her reaction.”

“I’m sorry. Why would she get upset about his powers?”

Lilithana thanked the fact that she was an almost emotionless husk as she explained Zagreus’ powers and about him hearing Cinders thoughts. Hopefully any dread she showed would be ignored or forgiven due to her exhaustion from treating Zagreus constantly for thirteen days.

“That is the most insane thing I have heard, maybe ever. The fact that you two managed to keep it secret for a year and a half is amazing in and of itself.”

“I didn’t find out until it was far too late.”

Karimere rubbed her chin, “I think you took the safest course of action. But next time, warn me of a situation this volatile. Cinder is expressly forbidden from reading my thoughts without permission. It would be foolish for her to react rashly if she discovered it that way. I will put a lock on her.”

Her dead heart skipped a beat. “Yes Karimere.” Lilithana bowed and was relived that she was still in one piece.

Karimere gave one of her devious grins. “I will have the Eleventh deal with the matter.”

Lilithana felt a momentary need to protest, but ignored the foolish sensation.

Karimere shook her head. “As strong as Cinder is, she can be quite, fragile.”

Lilithana said. “This long life, this work, wears on us all.”

Karimere stretched her limbs and fluttered her wings. “That obstinate golem forced me to rush down here so fast my whole body aches.”

“I’m sorry, I thought Cinder was monitoring him.”

“She was occupied. How is the Eleventh?”

“By all metrics, the implantation seemed successful. I will do a diagnostic once he wakes.”

“I will take care of him.” Karimere sighed. “You must rest.”

Lilithana nodded. “Thank you.”

“You foolishly teleported down here like you were protecting the Second from me.” She shook her head. “You look like you really might die this time. I order you on as much rest as possible until you have recovered fully. I can’t lose you now.”

“Yes Karimere.”

“I think the Eleventh should work on developing his powers further. The simulators are useless with that kind of ability, so use the low quality test subjects to train him. I can’t have him accidentally scrambling the brain of someone important. Start by reviewing all the data we have on mental powers and I will see if I can dig up anything from my sources.”

“Yes Karimere.”

“Set the simulator to something nice. Like a tropical island with a warm breeze and a tall mountain.” Karimere lay back on her cushion. “That is all.”

“Are you ok?” She spoke before her better judgment could stop her.

Her eye peeked open. “Yes. Why do you ask?”

“I’ve never seen you so, um…calm.”

“The Eleventh’s implantation was successful and we have a strong candidate for the Second. We have made more progress in the past year and a half than the past five millennia. Why would I not be calm?”

“I see.”

“You have done well. Your work with earning their trust is invaluable. I don’t think I or Cinder could have matched your results.”

“Um…Thank you.” She quickly dropped the privacy bubble, set the simulator, and left. When the door closed behind her, she leaned against it and slid down to the floor. “She complimented me? That has to violate some law of nature or something.” She shuddered.

Jade appeared a fingers width in front of her face. “Are you ok?”

Lilithana screamed.

Jade jumped across the hall almost dropping her precious box.

Lilithana clutched her chest. “Don’t do that child. You scared the life out of me.”

“You scared me. Screaming like a crazy person. And you dead anyway.”

“I told you to go to your room.”

She pouted. “I wanted to wait on you.”

“Karimere got you good didn’t she?”

Jade nodded.

“Ok. Help me up.” She held out a hand. Jade pulled her up and they slowly made their way to Zagreus’ room. She lay down on his bed. She should really go to hers but it was farther and she didn’t want Jade knowing where it was. Hopefully she would get moved before he returned. She said, “I need to rest so I will tell you what I can before I do. Give me the box.”

Jade slowly held out the box and had to force herself to let go.

“Consider this like you have come across a new enemy and you need to learn as much about their power as possible. Tell me what you know so far.”

“She made me fall apart.”

“What else.”

Jade scratched her head and scrunched up her face, then shrugged.

“Look at your hand. What is not happening?”

“Oh, I’m not bleeding.”

“Good.” She opened the box. Jade winced, but remained calm. “Now tell me what you see? Take a good look and tell me everything you can learn from seeing them.”

“I see my fingers. They don’t bleed.” She scratched her head again, looked at her good hand then got a twinkle in her eye. She held out her bad hand and giggled as all the pieces twitched. “I can still move them.”

“Good.” Lilithana didn’t have long before her mecromail forced her to rest. She spawned an empty syringed and quickly stuck it into a fingertip.

“Ow ow ow! That hurts.”

“What hurts?”

“My finger,” Jade said holding up her damaged hand. Her eyes lit up again.

“Good. Always a quick learner.” She knocked the finger tip off the needle, “You have to get the pieces right and get the direction right for the middle pieces. Don’t let the pieces touch until you are certain. If you are unsure, you can wait until I wake.” She closed the box and handed it to Jade. “I must rest now. I might sleep for a few days. Remember, keep the box with you.”

“I can do it now. I will show Purple-Bug and that stupid golem I can do it. Then I’ll go see Zaggy.” Jade patted her head, “You sleep now.”

***

Cinder’s eyes popped open to an alarm beeping. “What now?” She stiffly sat up and looked at the bank of screens that covered one wall in her room. One of them flashed a red border. She flew over to the screens. “Why is Lilithana passed out in Zagreus’ bed? How did she end up all the way down there?” She saw movement on another screen. “And why is Karimere in that training room?” She rubbed her eyes. “I sleep for the first time in a six-day and everything goes to shit.”

She gathered some golems and supplies then made her way down to Zagreus’ room. When she neared it, Jade popped out her room. “Hi Bug Girl! Look, I did it!” She wiggled her fingers at her for a moment then took off running down the hall.

“No running in the halls!” Cinder shouted after her. She resisted the urge to go chase the child. There were more important matters to attend to. “Did Jade actually smile at me?” She shook her head as she entered Zargreus’ room. Lilithana was a sickly yellow color.

“I told you to notify me immediately after the implantation was over.” She chastised the unconscious woman. Cinder added containers of fluids and nutrients to Lilithana’s internal mecromail storage. Then she attached a battery bank. Lilithana’s mecromail would use the resources to heal her.

Lilithana had spent thirteen whole days stabilizing the power out of Zagreus’ newly implanted Mecromail. That included syphoning off nearly double the expected amount of energy. No person or drone was safe going within two hundred meters of them until the process was over. It had been successful, but it had taken a heavy toll. Cinder hoped there was no lasting damage.

After giving Lilithana a full examination, Cinder left the woman to rest. She had no interest in dealing with Karimere today so she went to check on Zagreus.

Before she got half way there an alert went off in her mecromail. She groaned then sped off towards the farm.

The farm was a set of converted simulation rooms. Plants of various types hung from planters that extended to the high ceiling. Long water tanks ran along the perimeter for fish and algae. Dozens of golems mindlessly toiled away tending to the needs of the farm.

Or they should have been. All the workers stood like statues. Emergency lights cast eerie shadows and bars of light through the room. Cinder flew towards the back wall where the power node was located.

With a thunderous boom and flash of light the thick iron door came flying at her. She punched hard enough to stop most of the momentum but the rest of the door wrapped around her. She was bounced and nearly deafened as the ball of metal skipped across the farm floor.

When it finally stopped she slowly stood. There was barely enough room in her metal cocoon for that. “It had to be an iron door.” She grumbled. Iron was capable of and dulling the effectiveness of arcane. That is why it was used to insulate the power node room. But that did not help her escape from her nice new prison.

She set her feet and punched the same spot as before. The metal gave a little. It took several hits to open a gap wide enough to escape from the broken door. She flew into the power node room and found exactly what she expected. Everything was burnt, all the crystals were shattered. It was a total loss.

It would take days to rebuild fully, if she had the parts. She checked the inventory for spare parts and found the last entry dated a few centuries ago. “Motherfucker!”

She made her way to the room where spare parts were supposed to be stored. The gearing was stuck. It took a few minutes to get the open. She found layers of dust and little else. She groaned and rubbed her forehead. “Maybe she is carrying them.”

She took another trip across the lab complex to Zagreus’ room. She connected her tablet to Lilithana’s mecromail and checked her inventory. Her guess was right. Lilithana had been keeping all of the spare parts in her personal storage. But there was little left and several of the key components were out of stock.

She left the room, activated her comms and said. “Karimere, the southern power node has failed. I need parts immediately.”

“Define failed and parts.” Karimere gave a disturbing calm reply followed by the sound of something being slurped through a straw.

“The explosion blew the door, and me, half way across the farm. It is a total loss.”

“That is unfortunate. I will go to the farm and use my mecromail to maintain functionality. I need you to go to Ereopolis and do a collection.”

“Me?” Cinder swallowed.

“You are powerful child, but you lack the fine control to keep the food and air systems working. I must do it, so that leaves only you able to collect the parts needed for repairs.”

There was a pause and the slurping sound again.

“Just tell them you are there to collect. If they resist, show them strength. There is no need to explain yourself. Take all the free eye-drones. Run the collection program. Set the area and the drones will do the work.”

“Yes Karimere.” She bowed to no one.

12