023 Stupid Stupid Stupid
124 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

**Note** I derped up and posted this as ch 22 - I fixed it. Sorry for any confusion.***

A six-day later, Jade lay naked on an examination table. The cold metal under her body and Lilithana’s icy hands had long since become normal. Routine checkups and diagnostics were a part of life for her. But this one was special. “How is it?”

“Your mecromail is stable. All systems are nominal. But I still don’t want you activating any systems without supervision. I will meet you for basic system testing tomorrow.”

Jade’s training mecromail was a set of articulated implants along her spine. Except for the occasional itch and the odd sensation when she leaned against something it, was almost unnoticeable. “So I am officially a mecromancer?”

“Yes. Or, as close as you will be until we get the second mecromail from the Cradle.” Lilithana nodded. “Don’t forget that being a mecromancer comes with more rights and responsibilities. Take them seriously.”

“Yes.” Jade sat up and squirmed with energy.

“You are used to taking orders from all of us, but other than rank you should see us as equals. If you need anything, feel free to request assistance. Respect orders, but don’t be afraid to argue for what you want.”

Jade nodded. She had a plan. She had only been waiting for the all clear from Lilithana.

“I am Lilithana Gurista. The Black Bloom of Oblivion. I welcome you Mecromancer in training. May you serve Endrala well.”

She hopped off the exam table and gave Lilithana a hug, lifting her off her feet. “I am a Mecromancer!” She spun with Lilithana in her arms.

“How do you like your new hair color?” Lilithana said.

She set Lilithana down. “It’s… really green.” She looked down. “All of it.” She sighed.

“My color was green, for about a year, before I used my teleporter, so I know the feeling.”

“Green rabbit ears? Do you have pictures?”

“No. I deleted all of them. I have accepted that I will be this color forever.”

Jade smiled and illusioned up a mirror in front of them while changing the color of Lilithana’s hair to match her dark green. “You get to suffer with me today.”

Lilithana’s head tilted as she stared at the reflection.

“Maybe there is some way to fix you.”

“I’m sorry. I don’t see it happening. Someone would have to be an expert in Mecrotech and the invaders tech to be able to fix my mecromail.”

“Oh.” Jade sensed unease from Lilithana, even in dead mode, so she dropped the topic, and got dressed.

“How are you and Zagreus doing?”

Just hearing his name hurt. “He seems to listen when I talk, but he won’t speak or look at me.”

“Grief is hard. Plus his brain tried to fill in the gaps in his knowledge with you. He will need some time.”

“I hate that I did that to him.”

“You had no idea what had happened.” Lilithana put a hand on Jade’s shoulder. “It is possible the dueling realities could have seriously damaged him eventually. I think you helped him in the long run. And don’t worry, I will make sure he copes in healthy ways.”

Jade nodded.

“I know it was a big hit for you as well. How are you coping?”

“I don’t really know. It was a lot to take in. I’m going to leave Zaggy alone until he is ready to talk.”

“I know you don’t like the companionship programs. I could help you find a mortal to claim if you want.”

“I don’t want to do that. Maybe you could let me out of the lab.”

“It is too dangerous for that right now.”

Jade sighed. “I’m going to take some time to think about things.”

“If you need anything just ask.”

Jade gave her a long hug. “Thanks for taking care of him for me.” She left.

***

Jade knocked on a door.

The door opened to Cinder’s room. “Yes?” Cinder was relaxing in a tiny hot tub mounted on a shelf. Tiny bubbles swirled around her.

Jade walked in and bowed on her knees, putting her head to the floor. “Please train me.”

“What?”

“You are the combat specialist here. I want to learn how to fight.”

Cinder stood in her pool. “What are you talking about? You are receiving combat training equivalent to your level.”

“I don’t want to fight on my level. I want to fight the bitch that killed my mother.”

Cinder slipped out of her hot tub managing to just catch flight before she hit the floor. She flew over to hover in front of Jade. “No! Absolutely not! Never! I will not risk the Second for that!”

Jade stood up straight. “I am a Mecromancer now. I want you to train me.”

Cinder hovered in front of her. “That is a training unit. You have less than a tenth of a full mecromail’s power. She will kill you. Horribly.

“Then I should get my skills as polished as possible.”

“I am not going to train you so you can go on a suicide mission. You are too important.”

Jade help up a hand. “I promise, I won’t do anything without permission. But if something happens and I encounter her I want to be able to fight as best I can.”

“Why? So you can die in three seconds instead of two?”

“Tell me. Why haven’t you been able to kill her yet?”

“Her power to throw multi-ton boulders is annoying. She sets traps and only attacks with an advantage. And her personal ability to heal is one of the strongest on record. She just won’t die.”

Jade glowed green and smiled at her. “Please. Train me.”

“This is stupid. You’re stupid. And I’m stupid for even considering it.”

5