048 I would rather die than become a star.
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The soldier’s baths had dozen small copper bathtubs and one large, round, deep copper bathtub. A small lantern dimly lit the room.

The susneran soldier had stripped and was pumping water into a small bath with a manual pump. She tried not to think. “Just keep it together and do what he says.” She told herself. She had thought of ending it, but the floating metal ball had made angry hissing noises when she touched the knife on her belt.

With a cyan flash the bloody, armored god appeared right in front of her.

She screamed and slipped.

A firm hand caught her arm and stood her on her feet.

She shook and was unable to speak.

He walked around her. There were some strange metallic noises then the sound of rain on metal. “Join me.”

She held a towel in front of her and turned. She was not like other girls. She always had to keep her ‘extra package’ hidden from people she didn’t trust.

His bloody armor was on a stand. Pink beams of light were coming from more floating metal balls and scrubbing the armor clean. Some metal pipes went up from the pump and made in rain in the tub. He stood naked beside the large round tub. Streaks of blood covered him where it had soaked through his armor.

He held out a hand. “Come on. This is just a bath. We have to leave soon.”

It didn’t matter if he was lying. She couldn’t get away from that power of his. She nodded and took his hand.

He helped her into the tub. He handed her soap and a rag, said, “Wash me.” and turned away.

She set the towel aside and washed his back as he washed his front. She said, “So, you are really a god?”

“Yes. I am Rezu Archinius. Call me Rezu. Your name is now Star.”

Star…Heretics were given the star cloaks and forced to wander from town to town telling of what the gods had done for their betrayal. Those who wore the cloak were always to be offered food and shelter in exchange for telling their story, but only for two days. This gave them a means of survival, but it forced them to always keep moving. They were all called Star.

“I would rather die, than become a star.” Star said as she washed down his sides.

He was silent as she continued. She washed his tail, down his legs and his feet. He turned to her.

She spun away as he did. Her Pappy was a merchant and worshipped Rezu, the God of Trade. Stories painted Rezu as a prolific lover of men and women. She hoped he would accept her difference, but she had just seen him kill the other heretics. It was best to be cautious. She jumped as the rag landed on her shoulder.

“Do not fear. I have no intention of hurting you.”

He washed down her back and legs the same way she did him. Then he put some flowery smelling soap in her hair and washed it too.

When he was done rinsing it out she said, “Thank you. But I can normally wash myself.”

He laughed, “It’s been a long day. You are my claim. It is my responsibility to take care of you. We will talk later.”

She wrapped herself in a large towel as he finished up.

He cleaned up everything, by making it magically disappear. He changed the floating cat ball into a flat pendant and put it around her neck on a beautiful, black, metal chain. It hung heavy between her breasts. He touched her hand then everything felt warm and glowed cyan.

She took a step back and looked down. She now wore black pants and shirt. They were thick, but soft, good for traveling. She felt underwear underneath. She squirmed a bit and adjusted everything.

Similar clothes appeared on him. “I didn’t have anything that fit you exactly. That was the best I had on me. Is it comfortable?”

She nodded. It fit better than anything she had ever owned, “Yes. It’s a little tighter than I’m used to.”

He nodded.

Her heart sank as the star cloak appeared over her.

“Keep the hood up. There is an enchantment on it. No one will see your face.”

She nodded. At least she would not have to bare the stares of the others, “Thank you.”

“We’re going now.” In a cyan flash, they were back outside.

A pile of bloody clothes, armor and weapons was on the grass. Rezu held out a hand and her things were added to the pile.

She had been purged just like the other heretics. Ever since the ambush had went wrong she had been swinging from panic to fear to despair over and over again. Now, she felt dead. She felt… nothing.

“Hurry up. I want to see the body now.” A little voice said. A three meter tall metal man carried two bodies wrapped in blankets as it walked through second gate house. A child rode on his shoulder.

“Coming.” Rezu said as they followed.

A crowd of people stood near the first gate. All of them fell to their knees and prayed.

Star didn’t flinch as Rezu’s voice boomed. “I am Rezu Archinius. The heretics are dead. But you must work to remove the stains of their presence. Clean their blood. Salvage their equipment. Put their heads on sticks, every ten paces, along the road as a reminder to others. Recruit new, faithful, soldiers to defend against the tide of the swarms.”

More metal men joined them as they left the first gate. Each one disappeared as Rezu touched it.

They walked out onto the open plain towards what looked like strange colored fires.

She went over everything that had happened in her head as they walked. She tried to figure out what Rezu was planning to do to her.

“Did you clean up the ambush?” Rezu said.

“Of course. I always finish the job.” The dryad spun around and rode backwards on the metal shoulder. “I’m not sure if that lot are still worth eating, but meat and bones make good soil even if they have gone bad.” The child looked at Star. “You let one live?”

Rezu shrugged and pulled her hood back. “She is my claim.”

The dryad bowed her head. “Nice to meet you. I am Klaus Mordgammler.”

“I know of you.” Star said, “You’re the God of Fire.”

“That’s me.” She smiled.

“How is a dryad the God of Fire? I thought they hated fire.”

“Well, I…”

Rezu interrupted. “Did you get any intel from the Lord?”

“There are some other noble allies you will have to deal with, and there are a handful of heretics in Red Rock Harbor.”

Star gasped.

“Someone you know?” Rezu said.

She shook her head. Maybe the Lord didn’t know. Maybe Pappy would be safe if she held her tongue. What else could they do to her?

“Who is it?” Rezu said.

Klaus gave a toothy grin as she glowed magenta.

Star shivered at remembering the question penetrating her mind. “Can I make a deal?” She asked Rezu

Klaus said. “You just lost everything. What does a Star have to offer?”

Rezu held up a hand to Klaus then asked. “What do you want and what do you offer in exchange?”

“Spare one person. And… I… offer myself. I will marry you.”

Klaus giggled.

Rezu said. “Why do you think I would want that?”

“You don’t bath with a woman you just met, for no reason.”

Rezu shrugged. “You are my claim. I own you already.”

“You wanted to talk later. You wanted to offer me marriage instead of being a star. You wanted me to accept willingly. Tell me I am wrong.”

Klaus giggled again. “Three times in one day. This will go down in history.”

Rezu groaned and grabbed her arm. There was a cyan flash and then they were standing just outside the village. He said, “Where are they?”

“What?”

“Where is this person you want me to spare?”

“You haven’t accepted the deal.”

“If you are right, they will be fine. If not, I will kill them and take you as mine anyway.”

She resisted the urge to attack him. It would gain her nothing. “You are a bastard.”

“You are a heretic, and I’ve had one hell of a day.” He gestured forward. “Lead the way.”

She huffed then walked fast through the town as Rezu followed. She didn’t bother to put her hood back up. The few people on the street stared at the newest star, but she did not care. The person she used to be died at Red Rock. She soon reached a three story building at the south edge of the harbor, overlooking the water. The bottom floor was red stone with the top two made of wood. She pounded the door continuously.

“There better be a fire!” Pappy’s gruff voice grumbled as heavy steps approached the door. There was the sound of latches, then the door opened.

“YOU!” Rezu and Pappy shouted at each other.

She didn’t see who hit first but they were quickly inside, on the ground, punching and biting each other. They rolled around the room and knocked things over.

She shut the door behind her as she shouted, “REZU! PAPPY! STOP IT! BOTH OF YOU! NOW!”

Rezu disappeared from the floor and appeared beside her. “Sorry.”

Pappy groaned, sat up, wiped his bloody lip and eyed Rezu. “You should be dead.”

“You smiled in my face and led me into a trap. Consider yourself lucky to be breathing old man.”

Pappy sneered at her.  “What are you doing with that heretic?”

“We were the heretics Pappy. Red Rock Keep has been purged by the gods.”

“What gods?” Pappy groaned.

He held up his hand. “Rezu Archinius.”

“You are Rezu?” Pappy sighed, “I’m sorry. I just wanted that damned infernal. They are evil. They killed her parents, my son.”

“That’s not my business.”

“The gods are supposed to protect us!”

“We try, but it’s more about protecting the population from the swarms and disasters. We can’t possibly take care of each of you individually.”

He spit at Rezu’s feet. “I knew the gods didn’t care about us.”

“We are trying to save the planet.” Every word got louder as Rezu glowed brighter. “Without us this place would still be overrun with the swarms and most, if not all civilization would have been wiped out by now. I’m sorry I can’t stop saving the planet long enough to get vengeance for your child.” Rezu punched a wall, sending stone crumbling into the alley.

Pappy got to his feet and shook his head. “You were holding back.”

“No shit.” Rezu gasped.

Pappy nodded then his eyes locked on Star. “Are you wearing a star cloak? Did anyone see you in that?”

She nodded. “Anyone who was on the street tonight.”

“Star or not, I am glad to see you alive.” Pappy sighed. “What happens now? Did you came here to kill me, god?”

“I’m going to give you a chance at mercy. But you have to go somewhere tonight. I have people who will watch over your place until you return.”

If, I return.” Pappy said.

“Yes. If.”

Star noticed Rezu did not mention their deal.

Someone knocked on the door. Rezu let in a weathered old dhonzel man. They spoke quietly for a moment. Then Rezu told Pappy, “Take two hours to gather whatever you want to take with you, and then go with this man. I will come to you in few days.”

Pappy eyed her, “Is he treating you well? Because if you are going to be miserable, it would be kinder to let this old man die.”

Star choked up. Pappy knew. She nodded. “He has shown me nothing but mercy.”

Pappy sighed then stared daggers at Rezu. “I have worshiped you my whole life Rezu. If you hurt her, I will curse you ‘til my dying breath.”

Rezu smiled. “I see where she gets her fierce attitude.” Rezu took her arm. Flash.

1