051 Do you hate me? Fear me?
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well… What now?” Star stood and took in the scenery. “Flying cities? So this was Endrala.”

A few minutes later Rezu appeared beside her wearing a tight, sparkly, bright green, sleeveless dress that went to just above his knees. It had a V-neck down to his navel showing his firm chest and a slit up one hip.

Star burst out laughing. “What are you doing?”

“You asked for a date. I thought I should dress for the occasion. Do you not like it?”

She tried to catch her breath.

Rezu ‘s clothes changed to a yellow and white, wide skirted, frilly dress with stocking and many little bows.

Star had tears streaming down her face as she choked out. “You look like the little dryad girl!”

“If you think it is that funny, I will make a matching one for you to wear on our next date.” Rezu curtseyed, sat and waited.

After a few minutes, when she was able to breathe again, she said. “What happened to Jade?”

“She has to go on a diplomatic mission. I stuck her back in a healing tank.”

“Is she in trouble?”

“This is your date with me. Do you really want to talk about Jade? I can set you up with her, if you prefer. I know she will date a female susneran, though I don’t know if she has any interest in you. And you might have to share.”

“No. I think she just wants to be my friend.” Star shook her head.

“Do you hate me?”

“No.”

“Fear me?”

“No.”

“Did I kill someone you cared about right in front of you?”

“You spared Pappy. At least, you told me you did.”

“He is fine.” Rezu nodded. “But you did not answer my question.”

“No. I am sure you killed some people I knew, but I had ended up with a bunch of kitchen staff when you were hunting everyone.”

“Did you care about the ones I killed?”

“Are we going to spend my whole date talking about Red Rock?”

“I only want to know where we stand, before we get started.”

“I didn’t like the people at Red Rock. Some were professional and tolerated me but some, were not so kind. I would have left if it was not for Pappy wanting to stay there.”

Rezu smiled. “Do you like my dresses?”

She giggled. “They are, interesting. I’ve never seen anyone wear such clothes, other than Klaus.”

“I wear fashionable clothes, often. But they would get ruined with the work I have been doing recently so I have had no opportunity to show them off. It feels nice to dress up again. I try to dress plainly around the test subjects. It makes them easier to deal with.”

“Test subject? Jade mentioned that too.”

He pointed at the number on her forearm. “You are test subject five-zero-two-seven-one.”

She pointed at his arm, “You have a number too.”

“I am test subject seven-nine-nine-four. Becoming a god is one hell of a test. Unfortunately, those that can survive the process are extremely rare. You will remain a mortal.”

“Why did you bring me here? Why do you keep me in your room?”

“I was going to make you a star, but I decided to take a better look at you before I sent you away.”

“You showered with me. I was scared out my mind.”

“You had a really bad day but you held it together enough to check the exits when I put you on the table. You were bold enough to tell me you could bath yourself. Then you had enough sense to make a reasonable, if inaccurate, guess about me wanting to force a marriage. But it really impressed me that you had the nerve to you challenge me with that idea when you offered your deal.” He took a swallow of the glass of spiced liquor Jade had left, without flinching. “After that you walked through the town, dressed as a Star, with your head high, and you yelled at me when I was fighting with Pappy.”

“You like getting yelled at? Is that your kink? I am your sex slave. Jade told me what a claim is.”

“Jade is so innocent.” He sighed. “We can do whatever we want with any mortal as long as it does not affect the mission. I waged a centuries-long war and no one batted an eye until I didn’t show up for work one day. If you were to be my sex slave I would have thoroughly used you by now. Making you my claim keeps the other gods from touching you. I kept you in my room because I wanted to evaluate you more. I was also giving you some quiet time to deal with what had happened to you.”

“That still doesn’t tell me why I am here.”

He shrugged. “I didn’t have a specific plan when I brought you here. I just found you interesting. And by time you listened to my rantings in the shower you had heard far too much to become a normal Chosen. I thought having you work as Gwenyr’s assistant would be a good fit.” He gave a sly grin. “But we have had time to make an assessment of your abilities, and there have been some, new developments.” He slowly drank the rest of the glass of spiced liquor.

“Stop stalling and tell me.”

Rezu smiled. “The word you are looking for is ‘teasing’.”

“Tell me. Please.”

“Queen Gwenyr will be joining us soon. You will be her, replacement.”

“Come again?”

“Are we back to talking about being a sex slave already?” Rezu teased.

She groaned. “I really want to punch you right now.”

“I guess we are.” He sighed and shook his head. “Pain is not really my thing. I’m more of an exhibitionist, and voyeur. I love a good show. I could set you up with Karimere if you really want to explore pain.”

She took a deep breath. “So you want make me Queen Star? I’ve never heard of a Star being anything other than a Star.”

“Ah, yes,” He feigned surprised, “I have to give you a new name. Do you like Nova?”

“What does Nova mean?”

His tone was finally serious. “A nova is when a star shines brighter than normal. I hope you shine brightly.”

“Queen Nova.” She said to herself then smiled. “I like the sound of it.”

He stood, and held out his hand. “I am sorry to cut our date short, but something has come up. If you ask again, I promise to make it up to you next time. Grab your drone.”

Nebula landed in her hand.

With a cyan flash they were back in his room.

He leaned in and whispered in her ear. “I find you quite desirable Nova. But the choice is completely yours, my Queen.” His voice was smooth and made her body tingle.

Damn he can really lay on the charm when he tries. Nova thought.

He smiled, his clothes disappeared then he got in the shower. He loudly sang melodic tune about love and flowers.

Nova groaned to herself then plopped in a chair with her arms crossed. “That asshole and his stupid god powers.” She chuffed. “Queen? Does he really think I would fall for some obvious lie like that? Does he expect me to chase him into the shower? I don’t care how sculpted his god-body is or how nice he talks. I will honor my word, but I’m not going to chase him like a little puppy.”

There was a knock on the door.

Nova looked at Nebula.

“I do not know.” He said.

She went to the door and ordered it open.

There stood a remnant female with cobalt blue shoulder length hair wearing silver plate armor, minus the helmet. She bore a passing resemblance to Jade. “Greetings mortal.”

Her voice and presence chilled Nova to the bone. Now she had some hint as to how dangerous this place could be. “I am Rezu’s claim. I am not allowed to leave the room or make deals.”

“I have no interest in you past my orders mortal. I have been waiting for over an hour for you to return to this room.”

“Who are you?”

Rezu stepped out of the shower. “Hey, Fey. I didn’t mean to keep you waiting. I had a promise to keep. How are things? ”

Her eyes rolled. “They would be better, if you put some clothes on.”

“Do not tell the God of Fashion what to wear.” He teased as he dried off.

“You are insufferable as ever.”

“You wound me.” He dramatically clutched his towel to his chest, exposing everything else.

Nova laughed.

“I see you have fallen for his charms.” Fey said to her.

“No. Never.” Nova forced a straight face as she shook her head.

“Many have said the same thing. Myself included.”

Rezu dropped the towel and gestured. “Nova. I would like to introduce you to Feyrath Zhaan. The Winter Queen.”

Nova bowed. “Nice to meet you.” Zhaan?! The Goddess of Storms?! Why is she here?!

Rezu said, “Fey, this is my claim and future Queen of Ereopolis, Nova Archinius.”

“You gave me your name!” Nova’s jaw fell slack.

“You did promise to marry me.” He shrugged. “This is your first lesson to becoming Queen. Images must be maintained. You have to wear my name and pretend to be my bride, until we meet again.”

“What do you mean ‘meet again’?” Her heart sank at the thought of being sent away.

He sighed. “Zhaan is taking you to The Fallen Fortress to visit with Pappy. I have to resolve some god business here. I will come find you as soon as I can.”

“Stop coddling your mortal.” Zhaan growled.

Rezu spoke firmly. “I’m have to meet with the treefolk because the Second trespassed and injured a treefolk. I have to handle the fact that the Eleventh carries Cinder’s love mark and the Queen Gwenyr’s Love Eternal. Lili seems primed to kill all three of them or anyone who get near her. And Kari is talking about marrying everyone here. And on top of all of that,” Resu held up a tablet but Nova couldn’t see the front.

“Where did you get this?” Zhaan said breathlessly as she took the tablet.

“Klaus. He is a nine year old dryad now. I think dryad could be added to his ban list.”

Zhaan scowled. “You have only been here a few days. How did you let things get this bad?”

“If you don’t like how I am handling things, I will gladly take my claim to The Fallen Fortress myself. You can stay here and keep this place running while trying to solve all this insanity.”

Zhaan shook her head and handed the tablet back. “Come mortal.”

Rezu said. “Call her Nova.”

Zhaan paused, then stated. “Come, Nova.”

Rezu looked at Nova. “The drone can send me messages, but don’t contact me directly, unless it is an emergency.”

Nova nodded. “You are really going to send me with the Winter Queen?”

“Zhaan will take care of you. She is a cold hearted bitch, but good to her word.”

“I am standing right here.” Zhaan said.

Rezu ignored her as he looked at Nova. It seemed like he wanted to do or say something.

Nova smiled, hugged him and whispered. “Thank you for saving me and for sparing Pappy.”

“I saved you from me, so it doesn’t really count.” He said softly.

“I am still alive, so it counts to me. Stay safe and come find me soon. I want a second date.” She kissed him on the cheek.

Then she left with Zhaan.

1