054 God of Darkness.
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zagreus spent hours following an eye-drone. He walked and crawled, through parts of the lab he had no idea existed, until he finally found Lilithana. She was working in a room with a massive crystal that had to be the size of Gwenyr’s palace, one of the main power crystals.

“Need something?” Lilithana said as she continued to work, only acknowledging his presence with her voice.

“I want to talk.”

“I know. I thought having the golem lead you nowhere for hours would give you the hint that I don’t want to.”

“I’m stubborn.”

“I noticed.” She turned to him and walked closer. “I am glad that you are awake. You had me worried. When I discovered that you were lost, I sent every golem I had to find you.”

“Were you worried about me or the Eleventh?” Damn that was a low blow but he had to know her answer.

She squirmed. Dead mode… squirmed. “The Eleventh is necessary for the mission but I would be saddened if I lost you. I enjoy our time together.”

“Do you think because of this thing on my neck or Cinder or Karimere that I would just forget about you? Or reject you?”

“I consider it a possibility. I claimed you. I forced you.”

“Except that first time, I have been completely willing. And even I understand that first time. No matter what happens I’m not going to forget about you. All of this is messed up and not normal. But I am trying.”

“I accept your statements.”

“I am doing the best I can, with all of you. But I need you lighten up on Cinder. She is trying too. But she can’t work through millennia of shit in a six-day, especially not while she is being pressured in the worst and most shocking ways.”

She shifted uneasily. “I don’t understand you anymore. You chose the Life Eternal with Gwenyr. Before that the only thing you ever agreed to was sex and dates me. You have adamantly resisted everything, constantly, from everyone else. Then you suddenly let Gwenyr mark you, twice. Why?”

“I am an idiot. I’m sorry. Ok, a complete and total moron.”

“So you regret letting it happen?”

“I regret how it has hurt all of you.”

“You have not hurt me.”

“Try to tell that to someone else, I know you better than that.”

She spoke softly, “I will admit to some … confusion.”

“I need you to answer some questions.”

“I will tell you whatever I can.”

“When you sent me to Gwenyr did you expect her to try to mate with me? And did you expect her to use the god favor for a child? Did you plan on making Cinder jealous? Did you plan on letting Gwenyr mark me? Are there any other similar events that I am missing that you manipulated?”

“Cinder has been short temper for a long time. Being around you had heightened that reaction. She must go with you to Geothae. She cannot go in her current condition. We had to do something. Some of your questions are correct, others were convenient coincidences. The fact that I took advantage of them and more makes the questions irrelevant.”

“Did you wake Cinder so she could rush to my room earlier?”

“Do I have to answer that?”

“No. I want you to go apologize, to Cinder, and tell her how you manipulated her. I don’t need to know. She does.”

“I don’t think that is a good idea.”

“I’m not asking. Do it, or I cancel all of our dates until you do.”

“That is unacceptable.”

“It is unacceptable that you have been using me to hurt her. Go own up to what you did, and I will do my best to clean up this mess.”

She looked him over, but did not respond.

“Maybe I should put it more in your terms. I like spending time with you, and want to continue. We just need to adjust a few things around it, so I am comfortable with the situation again. Ok?”

“What about the threesome? You only have two days left.”

He groaned, “Are you seriously counting while I was unconscious?”

“A year is a lot of time to lose. You made many excuses. I will accept them no more.”

He rubbed the bridge of his nose. “I will find someone willing by the two days or you can invite Karimere.”

“Acceptable. I will confess to Cinder before our next date.”

He nodded. “Now, give me alive mode.”

She complied then looked at him with sad eyes.

He hugged her and held her for a minute. “You need to think about what you want.”

“I want my time with you.”

“I have missed you too.” They kissed then he left.

***

He got a shower to wash off the grease and grime from his explorations. He got some fancy clothes from Rezu then used the telepad to the ruins under Gwenyr’s Palace. It was just past noon in lab-time so, just past midnight there. He went through the door into the palace and made his way to Gwenyr’s chambers to find seven guards outside it. He showed himself to them.

They all jumped and readied weapons.

He bowed. “I am here to see Queen Gwenyr.”

A female wearing shiny silver armor stood tall. She held a short staff with a spiked bottom and a flat top. There was a snowflake on the top of the staff and emblazoned on her chestplate. She demanded from behind her facemask. “Who are you?”

“I am Zagreus Shadowbane. God of Darkness.”

“What is a ‘god of darkness’?” She asked.

“What kind of things happen in darkness? Dangerous predators, carnal relations, everything and anything. Fear and love. What do you do in the dark?”

She sighed, “What business do you have with the Queen at such an hour?”

“And I am her Love Eternal.” He showed them his neck.

More guards appeared. Soon he had two dozen guards around him.

“What is the problem?” Everyone should know who I am. Who are these guards?

“The problem is that no god would let a mortal mark him like that. On top of that Shadowbane is a female. We are going to escort you to a nice cell until someone can come collect you.”

He groaned to himself. These were obviously the Chosen. They spoke his language clearly. They probably knew Sarya was dead, but they would not reveal that. His existence had not been announced so they would not know of him. Rezu must have added guards to protect Gwenyr from any retribution from the dead Lord’s allies. Zagreus smiled. “What happens if I say no?”

She gestured and the others backed up to the walls. She spun her staff and wielded it like a spear. It glowed with a deep indigo arcane, a mecrotech power weapon.

He shrugged, “First one to get hit loses and you have to promise not to propose afterwards. I can’t deal with any more marriages right now.”

The other guards laughed.

She growled. “Deal.”

Yep. Chosen. He rushed in with an illusion of himself dodging her first strike while he got to her side. The room was a bit dim. His hidden self would be almost impossible to see in this light. He let his illusion give her an opening. She lunged, striking the illusion straight through the shoulder. He appeared beside her as his hand closed around her throat. “Nice hit. You went for wounding.”

She swallowed.

He felt it. “Now it’s my turn.” He sent a cold sensation across her body.

She shivered.

He chuckled as he let her go. “Do you have a name, Chosen?”

That last word got their attention. “I am Feyrath. But I still cannot let you pass.”

“I was hoping to surprise my wife in bed but I will wake her if…”

“Stop playing with him.” Lilithana’s voice said from nowhere. The other guards were unsurprised but the female seemed annoyed. The Goddess of Death continued, “He is the god Zagreus Shadowbane and that is the Love Eternal mark of Queen Gwenyr. He fought Gessil the Undying and lived. Gessil is no more. And if any of you repeat that ‘darkness’ nonsense I will have your tongues for lunch.”

There was much muttering. Feyrath bowed low. “As you command.”

He gave a quick nod. “It has been fun playing with you. Maybe I can visit your little army again sometime.” He went through the door with Feyrath as escort. Four more guards stood in the anti-chamber. Through the next door, he saw a shadowcat standing just inside the Queen’s chambers. It was a young male with light purple stripes.

*I am Zagreus Shadowbane.* Zagreus sent to the shadowcat but he looked to the far corner where the shadowcat was actually standing.

The illusions vanished. The shadowcat sent. *What is the third rule you created?*

*Don’t anger the God of Fashion.*

The shadowcat nodded and left the room with shiny guard.

He appreciated the efforts Rezu had went to, to protect Gwenyr, but he was glad finally to be alone with her now. Then he had an idea. He smiled, stripped and morphed.

This bed was as big, or bigger, than the massive one at Founder’s Cove. He walked softly as possible onto the bed. He put his massive head over Gwenyr’s and licked her whole face with his giant tongue.

She shoved at him to no effect. “What are you doing you slobbering beast? I allow you to guard me, not join me in bed. Get out, now!”

“I missed you too.” He licked her face again.

She threw her arms around his massive neck. “You… You…”

“Are you ok?”

Her grip tightened. “I saw it.” She spoke softly. “I saw the column coming for us. I saw that monster coming up behind you. Then we were suddenly somewhere else. I thought you were dead. Rezu was desperately trying to get back to you. He was furious. He left and I didn’t know anything for hours. Oh… it was horrible.”

“It’s over. I’m safe. She’s dead. We defeated that monster.”

“Thank you for saving me.”

“Thank Rezu. He got you out of there.” He felt a tingle on his neck.

“I did. I gave him a knighthood and he is now Lord of those lands.” She let go and fell back on the bed. Her hands rubbed his neck and there was faint lavender glow shining on her face. “Love Eternal.” She said breathlessly, almost crying. “I can see it in your fur.”

He morphed and lay down next to her. Her face was still tinted lavender. “So you turned me into a lamp?”

“That is Love Eternal. It is a precious thing. Do not joke about it.”

“You are precious to me but I will still make jokes. It’s what I do. That, and glow in the dark.”

She laughed at him, smothered him in kisses and gentle clawing.

When she gave him a moment to breathe he said, “There will be a meeting with you, me and the other goddesses in about a day. I will sort out all the non-sense with Cinder and the others.”

“I thought I knew what I was getting into but I saw their power. I know I am just a mortal. They scare me. The Goddess of Death kept asking questions about the Love Eternal.”

“I will get her to apologize. You will be ok. I will be there.”

She nodded. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” He pulled her close and whispered. “I love you.”

She trembled. “I still can’t believe you are real, my love.”

They made love, then he left. The glowing faded when he got away from her.

1