060 I show courtesy by letting them live.
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At dawn Karimere, Lilithana, and Zhaan arrived at the coordinates Rezu had been given for the meeting.

Susneran Karimere wore golden armor and carried a repeating power crossbow.

Zhaan, the Winter Queen, wore silver armor with a snowflake emblazoned on the chest plate and carried a long power spear with a flared base.

Lilithana wore black armor under thick black cloak and carried a massive metal power scythe with its meter long blade hanging high over her head.

A single Mecromancer is a show of force. Three of the strongest, standing in full battle gear, sent a clear message.

A wall of treants stood guarding the tree line. Treants were the stronger, males of the species. Treants usually had earth magic and could move tons of soil with a thought. Their tough bark would resist all but the most powerful attacks.  They could look like a normal tree. But they could show there wooden faces, if they desired. The wall of scowls told the Mecromancers that the treefolk were taking this seriously too.

Demeter, a teak dryad with dark skin walked out of the forest. She was dressed in a flexible armor similar to Jade’s and wore a power sword on her hip. She had been given a training mecromail and was the official arbiter between mecromancers and treefolk. She walked close, despawned her helmet, and bowed.

“Where are my people?” Karimere demanded.

“They are safe.” Demeter said.

“Then let them leave.”

“They will be able to leave soon. Our alliance depends on you waiting.”

Karimere fumed. This made no sense. The treefolk did their best to keep everyone out of their land. They talked big and would give a show of force, but they always escorted wayward Mecromancers out of their territory as fast as possible. There was no reason they would want them to stay.

“Maybe there has been a battle and the treefolk are treating them.” Zhaan said.

Most other Mecromancers were suspicious of the treefolk, but Karimere and Sarya had established the Treaty of the Falls. She knew how desperately the treefolk depended on the support of Mecromancers to rapidly respond to a sudden threat on their vast border. With cooperation, both factions had prospered, and the swarms had been driven completely from many areas. The remaining wildlands were too tainted or porous to effectively control without mounting an overly costly war.

Zhaan and Lilithana walked off to the side and spawned a ball of silence around them.

“I have no desire to fight treefolk,” Karimere said to Demeter, “but our alliance depends on the safe, and immediate, return of my people.”

Demeter bowed low.  “My humblest apologies, your people will be returned safely. Please be patient.”

“What is going on? The energy readings from this area are insane. I only received pieces of a message. I know that they were all alive, half a day ago, and they had taken refuge in an old building. Demeter, give me something, anything, to work with.”

Demeter held out a hand and spawned a net-bag with four drones in it. “My people found these crashed in the forest. I am returning them in accordance with our treaty.”

Karimere took them and checked. They were completely scrambled. Some useful information might be accessible, after a month of analysis. “There is nothing on these.”

“This is an internal matter. It will be over soon, and your people will be free to leave.”

“‘Internal matter’?” Karimere blinked, “The treefolk don’t have internal matters. You are not holding a senate. The Worldtrees run everything.”

Lilithana spoke as the ball of silence deactivated. “Satellite data suggests a Worldtree has died, just south of here. I suspect it was the last one.”

The last Worldtree… dead…? Karimere couldn’t even fathom the level of screwed they would be if that was true.

There was rustling and creaking from the line of treants.

Demeter held up her hand to them and they stilled. “Today is a glorious day for treefolk. We are not dying.”

“You are birthing a new Worldmother, aren’t you?” Zhaan said. “I only remember bits of it from when Rezu was studying. But it’s really important.”

Worldmother… Karimere shook her head. Damn. I haven’t heard that word in ages. No wonder they are acting so crazy. “Wait… does this mean Rezu and Jade are the Progenitors?”

Demeter bowed again. “There is nothing I can speak of in relation to those subjects.”

“That has to be what you are doing. Why didn’t you warn me?” Karimere said.

“Your people will be returned safely, soon.” Demeter said.

“I want to see my people. Now.” Karimere bowed. “I will disarm. I will not interfere.”

Demeter stood still for a long moment then said, “I can let you visit the two females. Rezu is, busy.”

“Define, busy.” Karimere said.

Demeter smiled. “Rezu is the new Seedfather. He is husband to all dryads now. I long for my turn.”

Zhaan glowed cobalt. “Your turn?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM?!”

Lilithana’s scythe blade fell in front of Zhaan. “Stand down.”

“Get out of my way!” Zhaan snapped at her.

“He is doing what is necessary.” Lilithana said, “Look at the energy readings. No mortal could survive in there.”

Karimere said, “The treefolk must reproduce. Rezu and the Eleventh are the only known candidates that could breed a Worldmother.”

“That is our assessment as well.” Demeter said.

Karimere bowed, “If we get our people back safely, I will consider the treaty to still be valid.”

Lilithana added. “I don’t think it is that simple. There is, or was, a danger. Isn’t that right Demeter?”

“Your people are clever and resourceful.” Demeter bowed. “The treefolk are eternally grateful to the Mecromancers.”

Karimere looked over Demeter. The woman had always maintained a level of neutrality between her dueling existences. The treefolk had powers over her body while her training mecromail gave the mecromancers power as well. Kari didn’t think Demeter would ever do anything to actively harm the Mecromancers, but the treefolk had been increasingly desperate over the past dozen centuries. “Tell me one thing Demeter. Is the danger over?”

She hesitated, then nodded. “Yes. If you disarm, and promise to follow me, I will escort all of you to the females.”

Karimere stepped close until she was millimeters from Demeter’s face, as little flames of purple arcane danced on her skin. “Don’t mistake my acceptance of the results as condoning the treefolk holding my people hostage. You will be punished for not notifying me immediately. And if this happens again I will make you my personal plaything until I am thoroughly bored with you.”

Demeter shuddered and choked out. “Y-Y-Yes M-Mistress.”

Karimere stepped back, smiled and gave a most diplomatic bow. Then she morphed to an aerial with a finely sewn green outfit. “I accept your terms.”

Lilithana despawned her scythe and armor but kept her cloak.

Zhaan changed into a white and powder blue, formal, dress complete with a gem encrusted silver tiara. “Lilithana, this is still a diplomatic mission. You should show courtesy, and dress the part.”

“I am the Goddess of Death. I show courtesy by letting them live.”

Zhaan groaned. “Now I remember why you never leave the lab.”

 “Come ladies.” Karimere said. “We have a rescue mission to complete.”

A wide path opened up in the forest. They walked down an abandoned runway and through the vine covered remains of a military complex. A trio of treants drove a path through the mass of tree limbs and leaves covering the ground.

They soon neared a vine covered, hardened, hanger. Jade and Klaus were in front of the big sliding door fussing at each other. “Get Mouse back out and open the door.” Jade said. “Please. I just want to see the ArcFury in the light.”

“No. It’s not good for him to be out in this crazy power for too long. Playing guard all night was bad enough, but at least he was protected by his ward then. Be patient, rescue should be here soon enough.”

“Rescue is here.” Karimere said as she flew up to them.

Klaus cheered. “Finally!”

Jade turned back to the door and pressed her hand to it.

Karimere flew over to her. “Are you Ok?”

“Are you asking about Jade, or the Second?” Jade said without turning from her task.

“I am asking about your condition, child.”

“Don’t call me child. I’m a mother now, apparently.”

“What?”

“Me, the Worldtree and the little tree-girl made a big tree-girl baby, though this involved more flesh eating, and organ harvesting, than usual.”

Klaus and Jade had a child? Karimere ignored that train of thought. She landed on Jade’s shoulder and softly said. “Are you ok?”

“Let’s see… my girlfriend fucked my father figure and made me watch. I was almost killed while she healed up. Then she has barely talked to me and hasn’t touched me since. Would you even be out here if I wasn’t the Second?”

Karimere froze. She had never meant to be exclusive with Jade, but she had not meant to neglect her either. For some unexplained reason, everything she could think of saying seemed cheap. She felt… wrong.

“Hello Mothers. Would you introduce me?” A new voice said.

Jade turned. “Azona meet, Karimere Lifeshaper. She was my girlfriend, but I don’t know anymore. Karimere, this is Azona Archinius, my daughter, the new Worldmother.”

Archinius?! Rezu is married?! Karimere barely managed to keep a straight face as she ignored that insanity. She bowed. “It is nice to meet you.”

Azona bowed. “Nice to meet you as well.”

Jade huffed, and spun her shoulder to signal that she no longer wanted a passenger.

Karimere hovered in place as Jade walked off. She wanted to follow but securing relations with the treefolk was paramount.

Klaus handled the rest of the introductions.

Zhaan spawned a simple shirt and shorts and held them out to Azona. “Wear this, please. You can have them.”

Azona smiled and took the gift. “Thank you, Zhaan.” She dressed.

“So you are in charge of the treefolk now?” Karimere said.

“Yes, until a Worldtree can mature.”

“Is the Treaty of the Falls still valid?”

“There are some matters I wish to discuss, but the Treaty of the Falls stands Mecromancer.”

“What exac…”

A loud crash shook the ground, from the north.

1