063 You can share in that madness.
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everything fell silent. Jade’s body was numb as she tried to process everything that had just happened. The vines fell from her as she slowly staggered to her feet.

Rimmer jumped out of the mass of bug flesh and landed a dozen paces away. Her golden armor was thoroughly soaked in gore. This was a distinctly wrong sight because even in simulations Rimmer always made a point to keep her kills clean. She would dismember enemies with her power she always let it the effect stay active long enough to get of ‘spash range’.

Before Jade could move a blue ball of energy landed beside Rimmer. The silver armored figure grabbed the staggering goddess and screamed, “WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?! You almost killed me!”

Rimmer gave no resistance. Her body went limp in her assailant’s grasp.

Before she could think, Jade had spawned a spear and attacked from the side. She swept the feet out from the newcomer then smacked her in the chest sending her slamming into the ground. In an instant the newcomer was on her back looking up at the spear point.

Rimmer collapsed into a heap.

There was a long moment where no one breathed.

A scythe slowly lowered between them. “Zhaan. Go help with the cleanup at the breach.” Lilithana stated.

Jade despawned her weapon and slowly moved back.

The armored woman stood then jumped away.

“Who the hell was that?” Jade demanded.

“Another mecromancer.” Lilithana said with a dismissive wave. Jade watched nervously as Lilithana examined the collapsed goddess.

Jade finally asked, “Is Rimmer ok?”

“Why did you attack Zhaan?” Lilithana asked.

“I… um…” Jade shifted her feet, “Is Rimmer is ok?”

“She is stable. Now answer my question.”

“I didn’t mean to. I got upset… because she grabbed Rimmer.”

Lilithana stood and changed to her alive mode. She took hold of Jade’s arm as the world around them was consumed with a ball of darkness.

Jade felt countless tiny pinpricks from Lilithana’s energy.

“Tell me the truth. Did the treefolk make you attack her?”

“What…? No. It was all me.”

“You are overflowing with their power and I registered an unknown spell from Azona shortly before you attacked. Are you sure?”

“Yes. Azona was only protecting me.”

“Have they forced you to do anything against your will?”

“You mean like stealing my eggs?” Jade snapped.

“Are they affecting your mind?” Lilithana stated with her eternally calm voice.

Jade had gone through so much lately that she just wanted to ignore Lilithana but she knew that would only prolong the interrogation. She answered as best she could. “Other than asking me to help coerce Rezu into becoming the Seedfather, no. To be completely honest, I was kinda pissed at him for this shit show, so I went along with that willingly.”

“Are you certain you are not being influenced?”

“Yes.” Jade grit her teeth.

“Is something wrong?”

“Wrong?” Jade’s anger was rising again. “I don’t know. Maybe we are in the middle of a battle and you stopped for a damned chat. Maybe I have had a nightmarish few days and I don’t WANT to talk right now! MAYBE …”

There was a flood of light and sound as Lilithana’s scythe grew and swung.

Jade’s eyesight returned to find the bisected remains of a twitching murder hornet at her feet. The ball of darkness had vanished. Jade swallowed, and rubbed her neck with an instinctual need to ensure that it was still intact. She felt lighter as Klaus’ harness release.

The little dryad staggered as she landed. “Your arcane could wake the dead Lil.” She stretched and added, “Before you ask, Karimere would have approved of every choice I made in this matter. And it was all worth it just to see the look on Rezu’s face.” She walked off.

Jade added. “The treefolk were scared and angry when we got here. But Azona’s birth really calmed them down, until the bugs showed up. I sense no hostile intent towards us from Azona, or the others.”

Lilithana let go, shifted back to her dead mode and nodded “I believe you. Tell me if you sense anything odd from them.”

“I will.”

Lilithana looked her over for a moment, “You really attacked Zhaan over Karimere…” and shook her head.

“What do we do now?” Jade said to change the topic.

“There is not a land based bug on this side of the wall for ten kilometers and at least half a kilometer deep. The few survivors in the breach are barely a threat. Now we go home and let the treefolk secure the wall.” Lilithana slung the goo off her blade while grumbling too herself. “Karimere knew she was in no condition to use that technique and it grinds up the terrain so the next generations can rebuild easier through the broken up stone layers. That damned fool.”

A distant banging noise caught Jade’s attention. She looked to find Klaus’ feet sticking out of open panel on the side of the inverted ramdart. It was barely visible under the layer of bug goo that used to be the chomper.

“Can it move?” Lilithana shouted.

The banging continued for a bit then the dirty tree girl crawled out from her hole. “Maybe.” She scraped dusty goo from her clothes then poked at the controls for a moment before stepping back.

The dart groaned and whined as it hovered into the air then rolled to where it was right side up again. The ramdart swayed and whined as Klaus drove it to them. She hopped out. “It should make it back, but it’s going to be slow.”

Over the next few minutes Klaus kept working while Jade was tasked with cleaning the seat and controls. Lilithana transferred Karimere to a stretcher platform that spawned from the back of the dart.

Jade made a willful effort focus on her work and not Rimmer’s unconscious form. This was still a battlefield. Everything else could wait until they were really safe.

“Come on. Let’s go.” Klaus said slamming a battered panel shut.

“Drive it back. I will guard you.” Lilithana added.

Jade hopped in behind Klaus and slouched back in the seat, letting the dryad drive. The ramdart moved, barely.

Lilithana walked in front of them, cutting down the occasional hornet.

Kytheras, the black ball of metal and ominous red stone eye, drifted over to them and hovered outside the open door. “You survived.” He stated with a chuckle.

“Fuck. Off.” Klaus groaned without looking up.

“No thanks to you.” Jade said.

“You are so strong. I thought you had everything under control.”

“UNDER CONTROL!” Jade snapped. “I was almost devoured by a chomper you flying light crystal!”

“But you did survive. I am surprised. You are less of a failure than I had first predicted.”

Jade was stunned silent at the backhanded compliment.

“Wait for it.” Klaus muttered.

“Maybe letting you live will be worth it for the entertainment of watching your despair when you finally realize how unacceptable you are.” Kytheras cackled with laughter.

A cloud of fire shot out of the ramdart consuming the area Kytheras was just occupying as his laughter flew off into the distance.

“Don’t listen to that asshole.” Klaus said.

Jade groaned, “Just drive.”

The ramdart swayed and shuttered as Jade rode.

“Sooo. This was your first bug fight?”

“Yea.” Jade said absently barely registering the words.

“You killed a scorcher, solo.”

“Yea.”

“You survived a chomper.”

“Yea.”

“You almost started a civil war.”

“Yea.”

“I’m gonna press a button and eject you from that seat.”

“Yea…” a long pause… “Wait what?!” Jade snapped back to reality.

The little dryad giggled.

“Very. Funny.” Jade jabbed the girl in annoyance.

“I tease, but you did well today, Second candidate.”

“How do you even know what happened? You passed out.”

“We all have combat recorders built into our mecromails. I reviewed mine while I worked.”

“Oh, yea, those things.” Jade rubbed her temples.

“Jade Shadowbane. Do I have your attention now?”

Uh oh. My full name. What did I do wrong this time? “I am listening.”

“I want to thank you for everything you have done for me.”

“All I did was drive.”

“You saved my life. You carried me even when a chomper was after you.”

“I was just running on instinct and adrenaline most of the time. I barely had time to think.”

“I… well, he… well, we appreciate what you did. After what happened with the Worldtree, we were concerned that you would leave us behind.”

“We?”

“The old Klaus and me. Um… It’s hard to explain. I age and die but can be reborn through implantation.”

“That’s sounds really strange. Do you just walk around with a creepy voice in your head?”

“I learn at a young age I was different. I would know things about the world that I had no way to learn, like I could read words in foreign languages and I knew specifics about locations before I visited them. I tried to talking to myself. That was when I learned our name is Klaus. I treated him like an imaginary friend and would talk to him often. I would sometimes get feelings or ideas in response. He never really talked back directly until yesterday. He doesn’t normally do that. It makes it harder to integrate with the new host.”

“It doesn’t feel weird having some ancient god living in your mind?”

She shrugged. “He has always been there. I am Klaus, a continuation. I still have a lot to learn but the mecromail is working to train and prepare me for this life.”

“Still seems like he is using you.”

“With the mecromail, I am strong. I have knowledge and power. I have provided food for my people and slain our enemies. I think I am the most powerful dryad to be born since The Fall, other than Azona. I gladly accept the costs of that power.”

“You sound really mature for such a young age. Maybe you had to grow up too fast.”

“I have spent the last year being treated as an amusement for a Lord’s child. If they had attacked me as an enemy I am certain that Klaus’ mecromail would have survived but my poor little body would have likely burned up from the arcane use. I knew the risks before I traveled there. I chose to go. My people needed the food.”

Jade gave an exhausted sigh, “Forget I said anything. I don’t know why I am being hard on you.”

The little dryad patted her thigh. “I think you see yourself in me. You have had old gods messing with your life too. One old purple haired goddess in particular.”

“I, um, don’t want to talk about that.”

“Reese told me you were her current mate, but I never expected that display from her.”

Jade swallowed. “Wh..what display?”

“The gratuitous-overkill display.”

“Oh, that.”

“’Oh, that’? Yeah that.” Klaus held up a finger like and instructor. “On the battlefield the one word that defines Karimere is efficient. Wasting power like that, especially in her condition, is just crazy.”

“I know… Maybe it would be better if I just stayed away from her.”

“Hey. Don’t take me the wrong way. I don’t know if she see is able to admit it to herself but you are important to her. I just want to make sure you see that as well.”

“I could be me or maybe she only cares about the Second.”

“Well, that is a factor, but there are other factors that I think are more significant.”

“Like what?”

“There was someone else… but, Karimere was rejected. She shut herself off after that. It is worrying to see her in such a state, but I think she cares for you.”

“She has a strange way of showing it.”

“And from how you treated Zhaan I think you want Karimere as well.”

“I can’t believe I did that.”

“I suggest you apologize the next time you see Zhaan. We don’t need any more bad blood between mecromancers.”

“Yea. I will. So who was it that Karimere fell for?”

“I… well… it doesn’t really matter.” Klaus squirmed nervously.

“Out with it.”

“Can we, not do that?”

“Now I am more curious. Tell me.”

With a deep breath Klaus said, “Do you know the Summer Qu…?”

Jade grabbed her throat and whispered murder into the little girl’s ear. “Forget I asked.”

Klaus nodded furiously.

The ramdart shuddered as Jade’s power spiked for a moment.

“Jade?” Klaus whispered as she stabilized the vehicle.

“This better be a new topic.”

“Yes. Yes. It is.” She glanced back at her passenger. “I don’t want to delve into any more sensitive areas but you have recently gained a lot of power.”

“And?”

“Normally a training mecromail is conditioning your body to use more power than you naturally have. But this is different. Your training mecromail was not meant for this level of arcane and your body is not ready either. You will have to train extensively be able to control it.”

“I am already training.”

“No. I mean you should stop using your powers completely. Focus on meditation and basic physical training for the next year, at least.”

“What? I am supposed to be the Second, I can’t just stop using my powers.”

“You need to do this. You are already having power spikes. This is dangerous.”

Jade let go and slouched back in the seat. “More shit to worry about.”

“I need this training as well. I will help with you. We can train together.”

“Ok, whatever you want. I’m too exhausted to think right now.” A loud squishy thump drew Jade’s attention as they passed through the shattered wall. Mouse was painted in goo and happily stomping the remaining bugs inside the pocket. He stopped long enough to wave as they passed.

Jade smiled and waved back.

The treants now held a solid line and smashed each anterra as it climbed the dirt embankment.

Kytheras cackled as he wizzed past. He had an anterra at the end of the red whip and was using it to bash the others.

Lilithana’s scythe grew to massive proportions and sliced all the anterra between her and the treants. The line of treants parted and a gap opened up in the embankment.

No matter how many simulations she had been through it was still amazing to see the brutal efficiency of the Mecromancers in a real battle.

They followed Lilithana to far end of the runway. Azona and Rezu were waiting there.

Klaus set the dart down safely and the two of them climbed out.

Jade checked on Karimere, who was supposed to be unconscious on the platform attached to the rear of the ramdart. But she was awake and stubbornly trying to sit up. Jade helped her to her feet. “You should be resting.”

“I could say the same thing to you child.” Karimere said as the gore and her armor disappeared to be replaced with a formal dress. She swayed and held onto Jade and whispered. “Let’s get this done. You can punish me later, Mistress.”

They both turned to Rezu and Azona. Her clothes were dirty and damaged from the battle. He looked emaciated and was wearing a dark green robe of thin material.

Jade bowed to him. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He laughed. “Azona and the dryads are a fun bunch.”

Jade straightened up. “Oh, no. I’m not sorry about that at all. I had my organs harvested. You can share in that madness just as much as Klaus.” She gestured. “I was talking about your ramdart.”

“Oh.” He laughed harder and gave a flippant wave. “That is a machine of war. I built it to fight swarms along the walls. It did its job.”

“I also might have lost a few weapons to a chomper.”

“Again. Weapons are expendable, Mecromancers are not. I am glad all of you are safe. I am only disappointed that I missed another battle.”

Azona straightened her pose and spoke like a queen. “I thank everyone for coming today. This has been a marvelous birthday. You have all shown me so many amazing things.” She kissed Rezu on the cheek. “Especially you.”

He pulled her to his side. “I promise, next time will be better.”

Azona giggled then bowed to everyone. “You honor me with your bravery and skill. The worst of this swarm seems to be over. The treefolk will hold this location and rebuild the wall.”

Karimere bowed to Azona. “My people have been returned safely and we have reforged our alliance with the blood of our enemies. You fought with fury and honor. I will fight beside you any day, Worldmother.”

Jade stretched and groaned. “I’m tired of fighting. I just want a bath, a massage, and to sleep for a week.”

Azona laughed.

Karimere nodded. “There is a temporary tele-pad setup in that old hanger. We will head home and get some rest. But don’t hesitate to ask for help if there is a need.”

Rezu recalled his dart and Klaus collected Mouse, as everyone headed for the hanger.

Jade walked with Karimere and let the goddess lean on her for support.

At least thirty dryads were waiting outside the hanger. Every, single, one of them, was kissing Rezu and thanking him for his seed. He looked a bit overwhelmed.

“Go ahead. I will be along shortly.” Karimere told Jade.

Jade giggled to herself as she walked past the throng of females.

1