V01: CHAPTER 1: Sudden Death
5.3k 5 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now the derivative of X with respect to....."ring"...."ring"...

.

.

Well looks like we will continue this class next meeting, said  Mr.Hunt.  Mr. Jonathan Hunt is a 30 something caucasian man, with a nice trim beard and with the typical teacher look and vibe. "Remember class we will have our exam two-class meeting from now, so if you have questions or don't understand anything when you study feel free to ask them in class," he said.

As soon as all his students left the classroom he let out a huge sigh of relief, "Finally that's over" he said.

He really would like to go home now, he had a package that was delivered today. Which he was very excited to open, but he stared at all the unchecked paper on his desk, and a defeated expression marks his face. "Stupid homework....." he said to himself, 'but you're the one who gave your students all this homework, so in the grand scheme of things you're STUPID,' he thought.

As he was checking the papers, a bulky black man with glasses and a freshly shaven face entered the classroom. "Hey Hunt, me and Oscar are going to meet in the bar at 6 pm tonight, you're coming with us. We're not taking no for an answer" said the black man.

"Howard it's Monday today. Are you really going for drinks today? Or you want to continue a weekend to weekdays drinking streak or something" said Hunt sarcastically.

"Hahahahahaha. I wish man" said Howard. Then suddenly Howard's jolly demeanor changes to a more serious tone. "Oscar just found out his fiancée,(a girl he has been dating for 5 years) cheated on him. He wants to drink his pain away. So our job is to keep him out of trouble", Howard said.

"Damn that sucks. I'll be there", Hunt said. Howard, Jonathan, and Oscar have been good friends since the 3 of them have been hired in the same school year 2 years ago.

"I know right. We'll pick you up here. We'll just eat burgers at the bar or something. Ah, love, so sweet yet so cruel!" Howard said as he left the room. 

'Well looks like I have to hurry checking these papers', Hunt thought.

"Finally done, with 1 hour to spare".  There was a moment of silence. Hunt looks at the necklace he wore. A wedding band was used as the pendant of his necklace. Oscar's heartache made him remember his own painful heartache.  Instead of his significant other cheating, his partner in life suffered and died from a heart attack.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy was the sickness that killed her life, 3 months before he was hired as a teacher. A disease that his wife didn't know she had, one moment she was fine laughing at his lame jokes and suddenly she couldn't breathe. He called an ambulance but she had sadly died before they arrived. It was the most devastating time of his life. Most of his friends and family decided to give him space to recover but it was hard.

It was hanging out with Howard and Oscar that helped him slowly recover from such loss. He'll never tell Oscar and Howard that though. Those two fuckers are good people and wonderful friends. He'll repay them by doing the same. As Jonathan was reminiscing, he was suddenly shocked by an extremely loud Oscar, "We're gonna drink tonight boys!" accompanied by a supportive Howard.  Oscar was a chubby redneck of a man. He was always the loudest in the room and the one with the most stories to tell. Even if those stories were some of the most embarrassing moments of his life.

He looked at both of us. Say it with me "Fuck those fucking bitches!!!" he said with so much vigor in his voice. Both I and Howard stared at each other. We both realize that we're going to have a full plate in our hands tonight, then we gave a response with the same equal vigor "FUCK THOSE FUCKING BITCHES!!!".

"Then to the bar we go!!!" said Oscar.

Our drinking at the bar was intense in the beginning. Oscar was talking about how he would never marry or date any woman anymore. That he was going to be a monk. A couple of hours later Oscar became a sad drunk and told us, his pain and sadness about the cheating of his fiancé. Howard had the smart idea to go to a strip club, but Oscar said no. Shortly after that, we decided it was time to go home. It was a weekday after all. Our job wasn't going to do themselves, well probably only the kids who really want to learn something.

"Home at last", Jonathan said. It was already 1:15 am in the morning. The 3 of us took an Uber and made sure that Oscar returned home safe.

I was the last one to return home among the three of us. The package that I was so excited to open was in front of my door. It was addressed to my wife, Zoey. She was my high school sweetheart, she and I clicked from the start. My jokes weren't that good, most often people didn't like it. Apparently, it was too dark even for "dark humor" but she always smiled, laughed, or giggle at it.

Before she died she was able to get a yearly subscription about the latest anime trend of the year. At first, I never had the courage to cancel it, but slowly I became hooked on anime. It's was like her last gift for me. Sounding amuse about that idea. Hmmm….. If she could see me now watching anime and reading all this light novel in my spare time, she would definitely laugh at me and tell me "I told you they were awesome!".

I never really got into anime, and light novels when she was alive, I always fancy myself with western-based media for entertainment. Only when she died did I tried this anime stuff. That was the beginning of my now deep enthusiasm for anime.  Don't get me wrong I totally believed that I am already recovered from her loss.

It's just Oscar and him losing his fiancée to cheating, somehow made my mind remember my now-dead wife. I will always remember her dearly but I know that she will want me to move on with my life. Finally, "The Kaido figurine has arrived". I stared at the figurine in my living room, we awe and delight. "Cool. This just might be the start of a beautiful collection…hehehehehe" Hunt said aloud.

He looks at his phone and saw the time, "damn it. It's already 1:30 am, I can't watch any show now. Or maybe I can?" he asked himself, really considering the idea. "Nah can't do that, Stupid Work", he told himself grudgingly. He got ready and went to bed, pissed that he can't watch anime or read some light novels, cause of responsibilities. So he went to sleep hoping to have a chill day tomorrow. Little did he know he would never wake up again, not Jonathan Hunt at least. It took a couple of days for his dead body to be found. An autopsy was done by a pathologist but nothing conclusive came out of it. In fact, it became a modern age medical mystery.

 

91