Many Many Minotaurs
451 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...It is about time to make a quick escape, I'd say.

  I return back to where my body is and look at it from the outside...  I'm really not very good looking am I?

  Half of my body seems to be covered in bruising and my leg, which was already broken, seemed to be even more-so broken.  I am numb to my injuries for now, as my consciousness is in my energy body.  Looking at my body's condition, I am also not looking forward to going back and feeling the consequences of my actions.

  My escape trip needs to start now.  From the earlier sounds it seems like I will soon have a horde of monsters tearing me apart soon should I stick around.

  I decide to pick up my own body, using a fireman's carry, and make my escape while letting my physical form heal.  Unfortunately, my Energy Body had shrank slightly as I burned Mental Energy when forming my energy sword.  Now being about 1.5m instead of 2, which will make my escape a bit more tedious.

  I began to move towards the river yet again.

...

"Goaaahhaaaaaaaree"

In the distance, he heard the distinctive death cry of pack member.

No.

Who would dare?

  The cry had come from near the river. 

 This river acted as the border of their land, the Pilocai territory, and that of their competetitor's, the Therious.  The river itself was also the Domain of the Creoti.

Although there are many ways a youth might die, not a single youth would release a death cry without good reason.  The death cry is a warning, a warning of danger, of a potential threat to the tribe.  If it were from a mere accident, if it were by the hands of a mere pray, the death is deserved and no cry could be uttered.

  A weakling would, after all, only become a burden to the pack.  All are raised to understand their place and duties.

  If it is the Thareous, that is a major issue.  Such a matter could easily result in a war.

  If it was a wandering warrior or predator, it would be dealt with easily and they would clearly set an example.

The creature shifted from his original form, into his Humanoid state.  Becoming a 45 meter monster which towered over countless trees in the forest.

  It uttered a roar to respond to the call to rally, it's anger and rage mixed within.

  "GAROAHERRRRRR"

  It ran through the forest towards the murderer who had harmed it's kin.  His roar echoed back the call deeper into the forest, calling more brethren to join the fight.

...

  I picked up my speed as I realized I could hear the thumping of giant footsteps behind me.  I know I am headed in the right direction, but now it seems pointless as I will likely not even make it.

  Looking over my shoulder, I could see numerous looming figures approaching.

  Is there really anything that could be done in this situation?  Is my death here now set in stone?

  The beings that gave out the system should at least somewhat care if I live or die, right?...

  Well, I have a feeling that they would not.  I am probably on my own here.  Though I wish it were so, likely no chance encounter will save me this time.

  Pht, a stone passed by my head, interrupting my train of thoughts.  

  I began weaving between the trees. Although running in a straight line is the most efficient, for this situation it is better to just ensure my head isn't smashed in by a rock.

  The immediate results of the action could be heard.  The rocks, which they continuously threw towards me, became horribly inaccurate.  The instant they would see me I would already be disappearing from their vision, behind yet another of the vast tree trunks.

  As some became impatient, they would just throw the instant they saw me without any thought.  That was even worse, as they just hit air, not even able to hit the broadside of tree in the end.

  Still, as some threw their stones others continued their advance.  Although they are not as fast in their Humanoid forms as in their original, likely because they are so massive, they still are much faster than a normal person due to their long legs.

  As with any group, there were some that are faster than others.  Two particular minotaurs were the forerunners of the group, and had nearly caught up to me.

  To reward those two enthusiastic fellows for their hard work, I turned around and sent a barrage of psyblades at their legs.

  The actual damage was not much, but the shock from the impact together with how fast they were moving caused them to trip and fall over.

  But although they were temporarily out, more and more of the hairy fellows came forward one after the other.  However, I also did my best to run. So as the more skilled runners among them were knocked down upon approach, I managed to pull further and further ahead.

  A body made of Energy was indeed much more suitable for an escape.  The human body which was naturally made for sustained running was reinforced in terms of endurance by the lack of muscular exhaustion.  So long as I had energy within me, I would be able to perform at full strength.

  If it were not for the fact I had to keep shooting out psyblades at the fellows on the faster side, I would dare to say I could keep up the chase forever.  At this rate though, I wouldn't be able to last long.

  Luckily, I had already lasted long enough though.  I could see the river, finally, in the distance.  Ah~ my salvation, sweet glorious water filled with dangerous things.

  I heard a roar of significantly higher volume just as I encroached on the side of the river.  Albeit, I wasn't necessarily planning to do this originally, I think this may be the only way to escape this.

  I cast out Energy waves to see what dwells beneath the water the instant I am approaching it.

  What I see?  Sparse fish, of the man-eating variety from the looks, and an enormous eel sleeping at the bottom of the stream.

  I jump into the water.

  The weight of my body on top of me makes me go down rather deep in the initial plunge.  Once I submerged I could see the underwater world rather clearly even without the help of psychic power. 

 The sudden change almost made me lose my own body.  I grabbed it by one arm, put it over my neck, and began to swim upwards. 

  Trying to swim through the water with my energy body, it took a lot more energy out of me.  My energy body is not very buoyant at all, it took a lot to swim back up to the surface.  When I made it back up, I heard my original body take a deep breath and cough out some water.

  Well, at least it worked out okay in the end.  Let's not try this again though.  I pushed forward through the river and the nearby fish began to encroach.

  One of the fish, curious, comes quickly to take a bite of me.  I hit it upside the head each time it tried until it swam away.

  I continued swimming through the river as quickly as I could, luckily the 'Minotaurs' had stopped themselves at the edge of the bank.  One could tell my actions had confused them for a moment, but then they cleared their heads and began casting stones at me.

  Noticing all of the stones landing around me, I begin to dip down sporadically underwater in evasion.  Since I survived the first time, it should be fine?

  Each time I re-emerge I can hear myself coughing crazily.  I suppose this counts as self-abuse?  Well, it is something I have always done anyways.

  As I grew further away from the shore the stones were no longer even landing close to me.  I loosened up on the submersion frequency to ensure my body had enough time to catch it's breath.  Gradually it began to feel as though the threat from the many minotaurs was fading away.

  However, the fish became more of a crisis the further I became from the shore.  I managed to beat them away when they came one at a time.  Yet now, they came in a group of three.

  Bloodshed was now inevitable.  There was no need for it to be my blood though.  Submerged, I looked about and saw numerous fish swimming towards me from all directions.  I looked and saw off to one side a lone fish further in the distance, and I launched a few psyblades towards it.

  The psyblades seemed even weaker in the water, but they were just enough to draw blood.  As it's blood flowed and diffused through the water it pulled the attention of every fish around.  A large majority of the fish happily changed their path and headed over there instead.

  I swam frantically, trying to get out of the river as quickly as possible.  I created another fog of blood with a fish following closer behind me, managing to draw away another large portion of them.

  When one would make it to me, I managed to clash with and deflect them away while on the move.  For some, I attacked the eyes when I had the chance.

  Eyes, which normally lack in blood vessels, bleed little even if badly damaged.  So I could safely poke eyes so long as I didn't literally poke them out.

  It was a long, tedious, continuous battle, just for the act of approaching the opposite shore.

  I swam through the river, killing, fighting, scraping by.  When the other edge of the river was still 600 meters away, I heard resounding war cries from of the minotaurs on the now distant shore.

  Turning my head, I saw 12 enormous minotaurs, each towering above the trees.  On each of their backs were bundles of giant throwing spears.  Some already drawing one, some readying to throw.

  I dove down in an instant, but one of the spears had already arrived.  It slammed into the water next to me, the force from it as though it was launched from a cannon.  Parts of the rough wooden spear splintered apart on impact, the water caved inwards.

  It smashed into the water, sucking me in from under the water and smashing into me with a wall of water above it.  I was knocked flipping backwards through the air.  Numerous booming noises resounded in the air as water flew all about as the other 11 spears landed subsequently.

  There was a short pause and things settled as the impacts became waves and the waves became ripples.  Having no time to settle myself, having barely held on to my body through the impacts, I determined to escape regardless of cost.

  

  I dove down again, dragging my body deep under the surface.  I see the deep white fronts of the crazy spear impacts  happening in water above me, and the spears that went down and deep into the dark depths of the river.

  I started swimming forward again, heading towards the wall of earth I could see a small distance in front of me.  I could still hear and feel the rumbling from the throwing spears, and it sounded like more spears were landing each volley.

  I thought they were just throwing them randomly, hoping to hit me by luck, the scatter of the throwing spears rather far apart.

  I realized that wasn't the case rather quickly though.

  The spears that pierced into the depths of the water began to gain speed on their returning journey, their buoyancy propelling them back towards the surface.  The new barrage of spears coming in, filled the gaps between them.  Their impacts becoming greater, deeper, more intense than before.

  The new impacts sucked you in, the surfacing spears pushed you away.  As they occurred in combination, the magnitude of them all combined and formed temporary currents under the water.

  The effects of this chaos extended deep down and all around, encompassing the entirety of my vision.  The net of chaotic waters and erratically moving spears which cut off my path closed in around me.

  I calmed myself and tried casting out a psychic wave with my free hand to read the flow of the waters, as they tossed me about.  I followed the flaws in the cage of currents, and slowly made my way forward.  I felt the world going black as I finally reached the wall of dirt.

  Just as I reached it, the barrage of spears seemed to have stopped, and the waters calmed.  I hesitated for a moment, but jumped out of the water regardless.

  I would definitely die in the water, but it was not guaranteed I couldn't avoid the barrage of spears on the ground.  Or at least, I convinced myself that was the case.

  Jumping out of the water, I instantly turned back.  Half expecting a sharpened tree to already be flying my way.

  But what I saw was instead a battle between the minotaurs and a swarm of gigantic black river snakes.  I cared not how it started, but it gave me opportunity to survive.  I thanked the snakes in my heart, hoisted my body back over my shoulders, and ran into the forest.

11