Prologue
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stray Soul | Prologue: The World

Since time immemorial, the world is believed by all to exist as an independent entity entire to itself. Through itself was it created and through itself shall it be destroyed; by self-destruction to bring about rebirth. Always changing to remain unchanged—shifting its infinite parts to keep the whole intact. Thus, no matter the turbulence, balance is maintained.

This harmonious balance of all creation is divided into six Realms—Primordial, Ancient, Immortal, Demon, Mortal, Soul. The Primordial Realm is vast beyond imagination and void. The Ancient Realm is home to immensely powerful Divine Beasts created by Heaven and Earth. Gods, demigods, sprites, all entities born blessed with immortality, and those who have obtained enlightenment through diligent cultivation and good karma reside in the paradise Immortal Realm. Opposite is the Demon Realm, desolate and vile, home to demons, fiends, and monstrosities of all kinds. Wedged between the Immortal and Demon Realms is the Mortal Realm, home to fragile creatures striving to survive and struggling to ascend. Last is the Soul Realm, land of the dead, where every soul in the world return to after death and await reincarnation. No matter the origin of the soul, all must enter the Soul Realm.

Before recorded history, residents of the Immortal Realm have opposed those of the Demon Realm. No one knows who began the conflict. The records of the Heavenly Palace state the archdemons held evil intentions, coveting the territories in other Realms, and invaded. Contrarily, the records of the Demonic Palace declare the gods of the Heavenly Palace condemned the practices of Demon Realm, and so tried to impose oppressive authority. As both sides are immensely powerful, neither has won the struggle over the millennia.

Hatred between them escalated. At the height of the war, both the Immortal and Demon Realms employed most heinous weapons capable of destroying body and soul. Since dawn of all creation, the number of souls that exist in the world hitherto remained unchanged. Wanton destruction broke this balance. As punishment for their insolence, both the Immortal and Demon Realms contracted, becoming part of the Primordial Void. Realizing their mistakes, the Heavenly Palace and Demonic Palace agreed to an armistice. The soul-destroying technologies were destroyed to prevent another world collapse. Thence, the six Realms became peaceful.

Some, for whom hatred ran too deep, opposed peace and hid the soul-destroying instruments. These rebels were eventually caught and returned to the reincarnation cycle. Another treaty was made to destroy the remaining soul-destroying technologies. Secretly, however, both the Heavenly Palace and the Demonic Palace kept some of these weapons to use for assassinations.

Balance of the world became distorted. With the small number of souls being destroyed, the world was able to heal. This time, the remedy came from without—souls were stolen from other worlds. These stray souls entered the world without first cycling through the Soul Realm to purge their pasts. Thus, from time to time, there would be a creature born with an unnatural otherworldly knowledge. Some of these phenomena were recorded in the Mortal Realm. When these stray souls enter the Soul Realm for the first time, all would be forgotten, they would be no different from other souls. No one would know whence these stray souls came. Practically nothing of real significance would ever be noticed.

1