Chapter 1: A Strange Child (Part 4)
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stray Soul | Chapter 1: A Strange Child (Part 4)

When Golden Moon Province was still Golden Moon Clan, member familial clans each built their own compound and maintained distance from each other; each vying to become the dominant familial clan. Following the War of Unification, the nineteen largest familial clans, reluctant to engage with the governmental body sent by their conqueror, closed themselves off even further. Other familial clans followed suit and built new compounds. Everyone unaffiliated with the local clans settled between the compounds. The Empire built local legislative buildings and housing for stationed personnel. Gradually, the “town” was formed.

Golden Moon Province is one of the most underdeveloped provinces of Eternal Moon Empire. The “town” is the only urban area. Population of nearly 30,000 people, population density of a small city, the footprint of a large city, and yet with closed off communities that behave like villages. The lack of development is a combination of ancient enmity and governmental policies.

At the end of the War of Unification, to prevent a potential uprising, the newly formed Imperial Court, under Emperor Eolonu I, decreed that the security of the provinces be shared between the Imperial Army and the familial clans of the provinces. This led many provinces to deliberately neglect the surrounding wildernesses. Golden Moon Province took this lack of cooperation to an extreme. After land claims, the clans adamantly refused to develop more than ten miles beyond the immediate vicinity of their respective compounds. Due to a lack of manpower, the Imperial Court tolerated the clans of Golden Moon Province.

Over the years, Golden Moon Province only maintains security in the wilderness for three trade routes. One to the north with Blood Moon Province. One to the south with War Moon Province. One to the east with Eternal Moon Province. Two of the three trade routes exist in name only. Perhaps once a month would a caravan pass through from Blood Moon Province or War Moon Province. Those two provinces have a separate trade route east of Golden Moon Province to engage with each other.

On part of Eternal Moon Province, trade with Golden Moon Province is discouraged. Officially, there is no embargo of Golden Moon Province. Merchants are just nicely asked or given incentive to trade elsewhere. Even 276 years after unification, the Imperial Court remains wary of the provinces with strong cultivation methods. Limiting trade is a way to restrict development.

The lack of commercial development translated to a lack of educational development.

Wandering about town for a few days, Vazarl Nulu found one accessible classroom-size school located in the market near the Malenu Clan Compound. Education is a private good. The Nulu Clan main and auxiliary branches hire separate tutors for their progenies. Other clans do the same. Those unable to keep retainers send their children to “publicly” available schools.

The school Vazarl Nulu found is owned and operated by Jaal Wenle, a scholar from Eternal Moon Province with an unassuming appearance. He passed the District Exam of Eternal Moon Province, West District. Then passed the Provincial Exam with low marks. This discouraged the scholar from taking the Imperial Exam that year. He took time away from learning to earn lumens as a teacher. Hearing about a lack of scholars in Golden Moon Province, he headed west.

Seven years and two opportunities to try for the Imperial Exam later, Jaal Wenle is still a teacher in Golden Moon Province. With his education and background, he could become a clerk for a magistrate in Eternal Moon Province, then rise up to some secretarial position. He chose to stay in Golden Moon Province from a sense of devotion.

Vazarl Nulu watched the school and home of Jaal Wenle from an alley across the street. All the other “public” schools are behind high walls and closed gates. Only Jaal Wenle’s is in a market area. The students wear silk and have servants carry their school boxes. Classes are in the morning, about one hour, ending in time for the students to return for lunch. In the afternoons, he helps various shops with bookkeeping. Teacher Wenle is respected by his neighbors. His classroom is often used as a meeting place for nearby businesses and homeowners.

Knowing he could not afford to be enrolled in school, Vazarl Nulu evaluated how best to receive an education. To this end, he watched Jaal Wenle from across the street for four days and passively listened to what the vendors and passersby have to say.

The hot summer air forces Teacher Wenle to leave the doors and windows open. The vendors outside the classroom show their respect by being quiet. I shall stand in the alley next to the open windows. Should he tell me to leave, I shall do so. With no alternative option to receive an education, Vazarl Nulu decided to purloin an education.

The next day, Vazarl Nulu returned before start of class. He stood in the small alley by the open windows and waited. He is short, his height does not reach the window.  He heard the students shuffle to their feet and said in unison, “Greetings, teacher.”

“En. Class, yesterday we concluded with the phrase: ‘I was born not in the possession of knowledge; I am fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking knowledge there.’” [1] The voice of Jaal Wenle is mature, polite and confident. “Can anyone explain the meaning of this phrase?” He asked patiently, unperturbed if his students do not understand or cannot give suitable detailed answers. His role is to guide them.

 

[1] From the Analects of Confucius.

1