Chapter 4 : Alban Fortress
79 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the initial onslaught, the monster created by the chaotic God started forming roaming tribes. Most of them were constitued of between a few hundreds to hundreds of thousands of monsters, and they roamed throughout the world. It took some times for the human forces to adapt to the roaming armies of monster and in those few years, they lost land that they hadn't been able to reclaim.

One of this place was called the Great Plains. It was a vast land of fertile plains, and was once inhabited by millions of peoples. The Kelenian Empire was forced to give up those lands and to move the inhabitant to the South, behind the safety of the Gorgons mountain range. The exile saved millions of lives but the Kelenian lost almost 20% of their territory and a massive part of it's food production. It was also a show of weakness that shook the once perfect Empire.

The Gorgons' Mountains were now the natural border between the abandonned Great Plains and the Kelen Empire. Three massives fortresses had been build to defend the majors pathes and to house the soldiers. Each of them were given as responsabilities to the three strongest Duchy of the Empire. The Westernest fortress was called the Alban Fortress and was warded by the Buer Duchy. The son of the Duc himself was commanding the place. His name was Nicolas Buer.

Winter had just started and the owner of the castle was walking down a set of snowy stairs. He stopped in the middle of the Fortress's main court. He was greeted by a few guard as he passed by them on his way toward the fortress' prison. Once in it, he kept going in dimly lit corrdidor until he reached it's end.

In front of him was a black steel door. It was the most guarded place of the Fortress, from here, all of the guard where loyalist of the Duchy and this facility didn't appear on any official plan. It was built by his grandfather as the defence project begun and it was the hidden ace of the Buer Duchy. Nicolas knocked a few time and the door opened. He passed by a few other guards and kept going down until he reached a gigantic cave hiden underneath the Fortress. This place now belonged to the Cult as his father had joined it.

As he passed a few cultist, they greeted him as, "Sir Bert" or simply "Commander".

He kept walking until he reached a underground tower built in black stone. He climbed to the last floor and sat behind his wooden desk.

As soon as he was comfortably sitted, another cultist entered the room and started reporting to him.

"His Holiness the Pope as sent his instruction."

"Go on."

"The God's Gift will now be called, the "Abominations" in any communications. Their presence was successfully hidded from our ennemies and His Holiness wish to hide their true nature as long as possible. They are now our responsability. A team of mages is already assembled to study them, they are nicknamed the Abomination Research Division or AR Divions for short ..."

As his subordinate was continuing his report, Nicolas' gaze wandered to a pile of paper next to him.

Seing him look at the stack of paper, his subordinate interrupted his briefing to tell him. "Sir, those are the first observation's reports of the AR Division."

"Then let's start with that." Nicolas stood up and started going to the underground prison. The other man took the pile of documents and followed right behind him.

 


 

After a few minute of walk in the maze-like facility, Nicolas reached a vast circular room, all around him were numeroted room. He noticed that the security had increased.

His secretary who came down with walked in front of the first door and started reading the associated report.

The abominations were born from a pool of blood and flesh from hundreds of animals, races and monsters as the Cult tried to make the ritual stronger, but all of the abominations didn't have the characteristic, appearance and dosages of blood in them. It was the first thing that the AR's mages had checked. They tranquilized the monsters and entered the room to take sample from them.

A few minutes later, the duo reached the door marked "16".

"This is one of the most fascinating sample according to the report. High concentration of Vampire's, Elf's and a plethora other humanoid races' blood. It's also reflected in his appearance, it is one of the few humanoid abomination : 2 legs, 2 arms, a face, ..."

As he was reporting to his superior, the latter opened the small trap and looked around the cell, trying to catch a glimpse of "16".

"Obviously the monsters' blood in him still result in a terrifying mix that look more like a goblin, but he is still growing. It's one of the most sensitive, it has developed night vision and has excellent senses, especially hearing and smell." continued the secretary.

He turned a page and kept going.

"It has a voracious appetite and it's extremely smart. In one of it's first few days, it managed to climb to the ceiling and hide. When the guard came inside, it killed one of them. It is the main reason why security was increased and guards are no longer allowed to open doors without first calling reinforcements."

As he finished his sentence, Nicolas eyes found "16", well hiddenon a wall, halfway to the ceiling of the room. He recognised the abomination that had made a fuss a few days ago. He could already see the growth of the beast. He smilled and closed the trap before continuing his tour.

 


 

In the cell, "Beast" stopped moving as soon as the man opened the trap. He, too, could remember the man. It wasn't enought as the man found him in a few second. The "Beast" understood it had to learn how to hide better. Hunting and eating this man was it's drive to grow stronger for now, pushed by pride and gluttony. While he was trying to conceal himself even further, "C" was listening to the report that was given to the redoutable man.

It was a gold mine of information on himself, his "siblings" and he could even grasp a few thing about the world, like other races, magic and others. He wasn't surprised by the existence of magic as he had just been reincarnated. The other races mentionned were common in his homeworld's folklores.

He was now convinced that his existence wasn't in any immediate danger. He was a tool that they would want to sharpen. Now he needed to get stronger in hope to take control of his body. A few hours a day weren't enough for him. He wasn't going to live his new life spending half of his time in a crazed frenzy for flesh and blood. With his new goal defined, he focused back to the sea of soul and searched for another weak soul fragment to absorb, as the big ones might take too much time for him. He could guess that it would be easier once he got stronger, but for now he still couldn't spend too much time asleep and vulnerable.

 

As i already said in the summary, it is my first book ever and i started writing after i got a basic idea i liked. I wrote and released the first chapter in a single day. All of this to said that i had nothing. No world building, no main script,or anything . That's why i wont release a chapter every day (like most people). I have a lot of free time, but i also need to take time to build the world, characters, and everything. It may be pretty obvious but i don't even have a map. So most of my geographical indication will be approximations.

So today chapter is a bit short and i will try to stick to a chapter every 2 days, more if i have some inspiration. At least 1200 words. All i can promise for now :/ Lesson learned. Next time i start a story, i'll do my homework and have a few early chapter before starting. :)

 

5