Chapter 8 : Hierarchy
70 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Sorry, i'm slowing down a bit.

Writing multiple personnalities inside a single body is such a mess. Even if the POV is 3rd person, i try to depict the scene as the character i'm following is seeing things.

That's why the abomination become "it" if the POV is from the human. But if it's "C" it become "him/his" for himself and "them/their" for both of them.

In summary it's a mess and i need to reread everything to check for errors and inconsistences.

 

Another few weeks had passed.

In the 16th room inside of the Cult secret complex, "Beast" was suspended to the ceiling, gripping it with his claws, and with his eyes closed he looked asleep.

But deep inside "16", "C" knew it wasn't the case.

In the last few weeks, they both had shown tremendous growth, "C" had learned he could now observe or feel their body in a way he never could in his previous life. He could travel anyway in their body and observe it's workings, the conscious and inconscious decisions of the "Beast".

For exemple, he could feel blood coagulate near a wound, or white cell hunting down potential malicious cells. He had even managed to influence their body in some ways, he could help restrict blood flow toward a wound to stop the bleeding, or even redirect nutriments toward various part of their body to choose what part of themselves to heal or evolve. He could feel he was only scratching the surface, maybe he could have absolute control on everything in their body.

As for "Beast", he had grown a lot, once barely more then 70 cm if standing on his hinds legs, he was now almost 1.5 meters tall. His senses had grown even sharper, he was stronger and even his nails/claws were sharper and stronger.

To come back on why was "Beast" hanging of the ceiling, it was related to the ease that their jailors had in finding them. "Beast" had made a lot of progress in hiding his body and presence.

Scanning the body, "C" could feel "Beast" control his bloodlust and even his breathing and heart beat were slowing down by almost half. His progress was astounding.

Their jailors had also started releasing live being into the cell : human, elf, dog, and a lot of other races. Even if he couldn't identify them, it didn't bother "Beast" in the slightest and he loved hunting them down.

There was no way out, so he would wait until the prey had looked around and felt safer before brutally murdering and devouring it. It feeded him physically and his ego was boosted every time a prey had failed to detect him. "Beast" seemed to love his little games as it was his only way of entertainments.

 

To their common surprise, today's meal was different.

The door of their cell was opened, but nothing came in, nor was the door closing.

After a few minute, "Beast" patience had run out and he jumped down to go inspect what was behind the door.

They arrived in a hall, almost empty except for a man standing in the middle. It probably wasn't the meal, as they recognised him as the mysterious and powerful jailor. He was standing straight, looking at the doors from where the abomination started worriedly coming out of.

"C" had his first good look of him as their vision had finally reached a quality comparable to a human's eyesight. He was tall, probably around 1.8-1.9 meter tall. He wore a set of robes reinforced with armor pieces, like the shoulder guards or rhe chestplate he could barely see under the capes. He had nicely trimmed brown beard, but he could see his hair hidden under the hood with the exception of a few loose locks. He had a sharp look in his eyes, not the eyes of a man fed to a bunch of monsters.

What was he doing here ?

The others abominations must have never met him as they started getting closer to him.

"C" had a bad feeling about it.

"Beast" started moving to the left. He had just seen "12", the three headed puppy, and had decided to get closer to what he knew the most.

Once he got next to it, "C" realised he couldn't call him a puppy anymore. He was now as big as a regular dog, around 70cm to the shoulder.

 


 

From the other side of the one sided transparent door, the scientists and Oma where observing the abominations, recording and taking notes. They had decided to unleash them on their leader, Nicolas, so that he could beat them.

The idea came from Oma and behind it was the intention to etablish a hierarchy.

The base of taming was the stick and the carrot. Punition and Rewards. Nicolas would be the stick, the punishment, and the food and other rewards would be the carrots.

But the abominations didn't just rush on the bait, they spread around the hall, it was the first time that all of them were released at the same place and curiosity won over hunger, at least for now.

 


 

"C" now also realised he couldn't just communicate with "Beast" but also with quite a few of his kind. Just like with "Beast" he could send them intentions, feeling or emotions, but contrary to "Beast", they answered him in the same way.

He couldn't talk to the one he wasn't connected to by soul fragments' connection. If he didn't have any soul fragment in common with another abomination, he could't talk to it directly, and needed to use someone else as an intermediate. He also felt less close with the one he wasn't connected to.

None of the abomination where comfortable attacking the human without knowing if the others were hostile or not.

After a few minutes, the abominations started assembling in groups based on theirs connections with each others, but it wasn't easy.

First the strenght of the connection depended on the size of the soul fragments, so the less abomination where part of a "network", the bigger the fragments, the stronger the connection.

Second, all of the abomination where part of multiples "networks" as their souls had the form of patchworks. So if "1" and "2" had a good affinity, and "1" and "3" also had a good affinity, it didn't mean that "2" and "3" had a good one as they might not be part of a common "network", so they could show hostility.

 


 

Until now, the AR division had only released the abominations by groups of 2 or 3 and they always had positive feedback.

But now that the population was drastically increased, some minors fights ended up getting started.

They didn't have to intervene in the fights as the monsters weren't as ferocious as when they were hunting.

 

After a few minutes, the abominations had settled into clans of between 10 to 20. They now seemed calmer and relaxed when close to their new companions.

Oma was currently searching for a common denominator in the formation of various clans but he couldn't find any. It probably wasn't a physical factor.

He decided to tell it to his new colleague, and they decided to start looking into the logs of the magic machines that monitored the room.

Strangely they had also notted that the first 4 abominations they had tested, "12", "16", "23" and "38" where all part of the same clan.

 


 

Inside the room, one of the clan decided to finally hunt down the prey that had been patiently waiting for them.

It didn't take long for the knight/priest to dispose of them. He hadn't even unsheathed his sword, he could just beat them down with his scabbard.

"C" could feel the commotion in "Beast" and their new companions. It was a mix of excitation and anger. The others clans were still their brethrens, and their pride was hurt.

Their clan was the next one to move and no matter how much "C" tried, he couldn't calm them. He knew it was suicide and they should have also felt it.

If he couldn't stop them, he had to help them. The human didn't try to injure them and "C" finally understood that he was just trying to tame them. He was humiliating and beating the abominations to instill terror in them.

He couldn't control their body so he just gave "Beast" some advices : go behind him, in his blind spot, wait for an opening and aim at his legs.

"Beast" followed his advice up to a certain point.

When most of his companions had already been beaten, he rushed too early and jumped straight at the man's back. Convinced by his victory, "Beast" failed to keep managing his bloodlust and he released it completly at the last second.

 


 

Nicolas was currently beating and evaluating the abominations. He was honestly disappointed as they just rushed in and try to bite him one by one. There was no cooperation, they had no plan and he had honestly already seen wolf pack more threatening then them. Wolf were at most Rank 2 Beast while most of the abomination had already passed Rank 3 in term of physical aptitudes.

He understood he had put too much expectations in their fighting abilities. They had only killed terrified prey in their cell, attacking on instinct, and it was their first time fighting together.

As he was absentmindedly beating the monsters into submission, he suddently felt a terrifying chill in his spine. A massive amount of bloodlust had just appeared right behind him. He hadn't felt it at all up to this moment.

He had just accepted their mediocrity and he was now in a deadly situation. Injecting man straight into his body to boost himself, he turned around, deflected the claws that were now aiming straigth at his heart with his scabbard, and punched the abomination right above it's deadly jaws.

Under the urgency of the situation, he had attacked by instinct like them and even if the punch he delivered wasn't full strenght, it was still fast enougth to create a supersonic boom.

He had felt the bone crushed under his fist and for a few second after the ghastly pale body had hit the wall, he thought he had killed it.

But he was reassured after feeling that the beast's life force didn't continue declining and instead started recovering. The abomination was just unconscious.

Reassured, Nicolas let out a sigh.

This time, he would remember him.

6