Chapter 13: Stats and Levels
472 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the leader’s toast, we, the heroes decided to talk with each other, I met some good acquaintances, but what got my attention was they were always talking about their abilities, stats and levels, was it some sort of famous game?

It garnered my attention so much that I asked my Australian friend, the Hero of Animals and Beasts, Mason. He then said something, that for me was unbelievable.

“The [system] is what our patron gods gave us, it helps us with getting stronger and acts as a guide to defeat the enemy, we can improve our stats, we have special abilities and normal abilities, my special ability is [Tamer’s voice]. A powerful ability that helps me tame any kind of beast I want for a limited time… how about you?”

I was unable to answer his question, he said this and that about this ‘system’ yet I didn’t get a single thing about what he said to me, it just left me confused.

“How do I exactly use this… [system]?”

I asked him, to which he laughed and patted my shoulder.

“Your funny, Theo, every hero has the system, that’s what the god first gave us, out of the two gifts that the patron gods will give us, the first is the System and then our familiars.”

I knew the familiar, but the system no, I don’t have a single clue, I don’t even remember my patron god mentioning a system, only a familiar.

“Let me present you my familiar… [Summon Familiar: Rex]!”

He said in a dominant voice and in his hand a magic circle appeared, it was the size of his palm and it’s color was khaki like the attire Mason was currently wearing, Then suddenly a black spider with a face of a lion marked on its abdomen appeared.

Mason then both insulted and complimented his spider familiar.

“This little shit right e’re, can do one of the most unbelievable shit I’ve ever seen in my hometown, this shit right here can also make a poisonous web and can even mind control a few animals and beast, this may be a little runt but he gets the job done.”

He explained to me, he added insults to his familiar yet ended with a compliment and praise about it’s ability.

After complimenting it, the spider then vanished as a khaki ray of light came from Mason’s palm again.

was it retracting it?

“Don’t worry, he listens to me, if I want him out of my sight he gets out.”

He then looked at me with a curious face and then asked.

“So, what about your familiar? I mean I’ll understand if your familiar doesn’t want to come out, maybe your too low-leveled”

Low-Leveled? What the fuck are you even saying?

I don’t know anything about this, Stats, special abilities, levels, I only know the familiar, but this [system], what do you even mean? And too low-leveled to even call out my familiar? I didn’t understand a single word he said to me, I only know the familiar, but to think I can’t even summon my familiar.

I can’t materialize my gun and I also cannot summon my familiar, I don’t even have this so-called [system], am I even a hero, is this [system] even needed?

I decided to stop our conversation, I can’t let them know that I can’t use their so-called [system], I also can’t summon my Familiar, I can’t use these special abilities, I don’t even have stats to help me, is this some sort of game?

I then tried conversing to someone more composed, I wanted to talk with Bernard, Simon’s friend, I knew he was composed and sensible, so I might have a vague idea of this ‘system’

As I found him drinking wine, a few bottles to be precise, I knew he was drunk the way he walked, he was staggering, his legs were like noodles, just a single misstep of his legs will make him fall on the ground.

As I was about to talk to him, he noticed me and offered me a drink.

“Ah, Theo, you must… be thirsty please have a drink with me…”

He walked towards me whilst his legs were staggering and then fell onto my body, but I was able to catch him, due to his drunkenness he was unable to walk properly, so I sat him down a nearby chair to which he instantly fell asleep.

 Really… you got to be kidding me…

To be honest, that wasn’t what I intended to do, well if I can’t talk with him, I can always talk with Simon, he also seems reasonable.

I tried looking for Simon, to which I saw him sitting near a corner, stress drinking or something, I then walked towards him and sat near him, and started our talk.

“Say… Simon do you know something about what they call the [system]?”

He looked at me and replied straightforwardly.

“Yes, they are our support, they’ll help us be stronger and cultivate our skills.”

I was then shocked, I thought Mason was messing with me but to think Simon even has that, then doesn’t that mean that all the other heroes except me has a ‘system’.

“Then, what level are you?”

“Level 9, Special Ability: [Justice’s Decision], I also have my stats and a familiar, though I often label him useless since his ability is only the [truth seeker], basically the ability to see true lies and such.”

He then covers his mouth as he hiccupped due to drinking, before adding more to his explanation.

“But there is a certain flaw, if the judge is saying something that is connected to the convicted’s actions and past actions, it will be identified as the ‘truth’. It’s like my power to enact justice doesn’t allow me to actually show ‘true’ justice.”

He then looked at me and before saying

“Just like you, if in this world you’re convicted of your war crimes, my familiar won’t do anything as it is technically classified as truth and not lying.”

“I, I see…”

I said that in an awkward manner, as both of our faces were almost near each other, it seemed like he was making me look like the Germans in his world. But that is a true massive flaw, if the convicted has done the same actions in his past, it means that it is technically true and there is a larger chance that he actually committed it.

He then looked flustered at me, before immediately looking at the opposite direction, by how he acted he seemed to avoid eye contact and is currently embarrassed or he is just literally too drunk.

Well, not that I can do anything, he’ll obviously forget this encounter, he's drunk.

Since I’m unable to do anything, I’d rather seclude myself for the time being, most of the other heroes are now conversing for their future plans, as for me, since I don’t have a single thing about this [system] they keep talking about, I’d rather keep my distance.

They’ll use that against me, a hero that doesn’t have a system, materialize his weapons, or even summon his familiar, if push comes to shove, I’d have to do hand-to-hand combat or retreat, my agility is normal and I can obviously handle a few amateurs in combat.

But their [system] and [stats] is a problem, from what I heard this [system] supports them by leveling them up and giving them stat points, as for the [stats] they can improve their strength, agility, speed, intelligence, dexterity, etc. using the said [Stat points].

I slowly made my way to the room’s balcony, separating me from the massive group of boastful and arrogant heroes. At the balcony I was feeling the cold breeze of the night and the two moons shining on the balcony I was on. That’s when I thought about my situation.

“Isn’t that unfair?”

“What’s unfair?”

Hearing a sudden male voice from behind, I looked behind me in haste to get a glimpse of the man.

And before I knew it, he was already near my face and pointing his dagger at my liver, as I felt the dagger’s tip on my skin.

“Mr. Theo, I don’t want to fight… but you should watch yourself…”

He whispered in my ear with the same suspicious expression as mine.

Who the fuck are you?!

“Who’re you anyway… 'be careful' just who the fu-“ I said in a pissed tone before being interrupted.

“I don’t want to cause trouble but the rumor of the systemless hero has spread out through the others… though they aren’t pointing any fingers or names but in a matter of a time, you will be hunted down by the others, Afterall killing a hero grants a few thousand exp points even at level 1.”

The fuck?

“So, your saying they’d betray me just to get a level up.” I asked as if I was interrogating a POW.

“Yes, I don’t plan on killing on you, but you need to be vigilant, just because you’ve talk with them doesn’t mean they are willing to be allies to you.”

After his warning, he released his grip and his dagger at me and left me at the balcony of the room, nonetheless how he acted he was suspicious, he said to “Be careful and hide my identity” but he knows my identity more or less, he can use it against me.

But, to think that this “Heroes” are willing to kill their allies just for them to get stronger.

Just like the simulations…

But currently I need to hide my identity and distance myself from the other heroes, as long as they don’t know who I am or my abilities, I can last a little longer.

***

Hours later, the party had ended, most of the other heroes were currently finishing their plates and leaving the palace grounds, with most of the other heroes leaving the room, I purposely stayed behind as I was outside on the balcony.

when I entered the interior, it was dark and a ghost-like hall, I took a seat in a nearby chair and sat down, analyzing my current problems and situations, if I combine all of my situations and problems, it’s not going to end well.

Can I even try and fix this?

As a soldier and an officer nonetheless, one of my abilities was to quickly assess any situations whilst having a possible solution to fix it, I can get a lot of solutions if I think fast enough and thoroughly and with my ability it’s needed both military and politically.

But now, I think I have something blocking my head, all of my enemies are ‘Heroes’ that exceed human capabilities, they have a [system] that teaches and helps them be more stronger than before.

And with my current abilities and skills as a ‘Hero’ I am merely an ant compared to them, they have levels that rank their capabilities as ‘Heroes’, and I remember playing any MMORPGs if your level is higher, you can upgrade your skills and abilities while being given [stat points].

They have both quality and quantity! This is already Operation Barbarossa! And I’m the Germans!

Their fighting capabilities exceeds mine and normal humans and they also have a number of skills and abilities that they can use, not to mention the quantity or extent of their mana storages, they can even use it all day if they can.

I stood up, defeated and confused, I then walked to the door of the banquet hall, As I walked in the palace hallways, I can’t help but think.

Did that god of death lie to me?

I thought, but nevertheless I still have my tactical and strategic mind, as long as I have a professional and experienced army that I can use I'll do what I must to win.

Not as a Hero, but as a commander.

Author here! tomorrow Monday, is the last week of my semester, and as the lazy guy I am, I barely passed my assignments and projects, so I'll be taking a break for three days or so, so that I can focus on my assignments and projects as long as I pass my assignments, it's all good.

So, uh, yeah, thank you for reading The Grim Reaper is a Military Officer... And I'll be back!

-JDC

20