Book 3 Chapter 4: Burdensharer
1.8k 10 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Hero clenched his fists, his ire only growing with every single laugh that came from Korgron’s lips. It didn’t help that they were so powerful that she had actually fallen onto the ground and was clutching her stomach, tears in her eyes. Finally, she wiped her eyes and looked up at him, struggling to catch her breath. “Y-you actually punched a burdensharer in the nose?”

“It was charging right at the child! What else was I supposed to do?” the Hero asked, unable to keep the rage out of his voice. “She could have been torn apart!”

“Children do it all the time,” Korgron said with another snicker. “We tell them not to, but they always can and will. I did the same when I was their age. But you really punched it in the nose?”

The Hero gave an annoyed sigh and then crossed his arms. “Indeed.”

“Then what happened?” Korgron asked.

He hated to say it, but he knew what was going to come next. “The child started screaming at me for hurting it. This is your world, not mine. Are you going to help or not?”

Korgron gave another laugh but, with difficulty, rose back to her feet. “Very well, oh great and virtuous hero. I’ll teach you how to tame a burdensharer. Truly after such a feat you’ll be able to deal with even the smallest of demonic children. Perhaps even a young teenager, but let’s not push your luck.”

The Hero merely glared at her.

 

------

 

The Hero did not like this idea. The burdensharer was the size of a house and charging right at him. His instincts screamed at him to grab his weapon or launch a spell of some sort at the creature, but Korgron had ordered him not to.

But the monster’s massive teeth were exposed and the ground shook when it charged at him. If it did run him over, it would hurt. A small part of him wondered if this was all some game of the demon’s, a way to mock the very hero who she had heard legends of so often. This entire thing was foolish.

“Don’t run,” Korgron yelled from across the field at him. “Remember, if you move, it’ll think you’re prey!”

The Hero didn’t move, instead eyeing the monster charging at him. This was so foolish. He had fought more demons in his life than the Chosen of the Crown had ever seen, even if she was one herself. This all had to be a mockery. The burdensharer was coming closer with every second. There was no way it could stop in time. He readied himself, clenching his fist and readying a counter.

Except, as Korgron had said it would, the burdensharer quickly started to slow down once it was only a few body’s lengths away. To his surprise, it even came to a stop directly in front of him.

“Wait for it! Don’t do it too hard!” Korgron yelled. “It’ll think you’re an enemy then!”

The Hero rolled his eyes. After a moment, the creature paused, towering over him and staring down with big, dumb eyes. Before it leaned forward and began to sniff. As foolish as it made the Hero feel, he reached up a hand and, very gently, began to rub the creature’s nose with his palm. This was so stupid, he didn’t know why he ever let her talk him into this. How could it be so easy? Monsters like these charged into their battle lines all the time, he’d seen it himself. Why would this one be any different?

However, after a moment the burdensharer let out a small snort and then just collapsed on the ground, giving a sound that he could only imagine was ‘purring’. If the creature was a cat the size of a house. He stared at it for a moment before lightly patting its nose. “There’s a good abomination,” the Hero said.

He was given, in response, a lick from the beast’s tongue, the massive, thin appendage flashing out from between the teeth to go up the length of his body and cover him in slobber. Off in the distance he could hear Korgron’s laughter as powerful as ever and he didn’t even have to look to know she would be on the ground once more. He wondered if they really needed the Chosen of the Crown that desperately?

 

------

 

“Korgron I hope this still works,” Joan said softly.

The demon came ever closer, the ground shaking with every step. She longed to run away, but that wouldn’t have worked. It would have assumed she was prey and she doubted she could escape it. At least while she still felt achy and sluggish from not being able to move for so long.

“Kid, what in the hell are you doing? Run!” Viglan yelled at her.

Joan didn’t dare move. She just kept her eyes focused forward. After a few moments the beast began to slow and, fortunately, came to a stop directly in front of her. Its breath was hot and moist, akin to the smell of treerot. Still, despite the displeasure she didn’t dare move away. It leaned in and began to sniff her.

Do it too hard and it would think you were a threat and try to fight you. Do it too soft and it would think you were wounded and okay to eat. She had to do it firmly, but don’t squeezing. Joan reached up with trepidation and let her open palm land on the top of the demon’s snout. It went entirely still. She began to rub it, holding her breath and praying she was doing it correctly. As close as those teeth were she wouldn’t be able to regret it for long if she messed up.

However, after a moment the creature let out a soft, content sound before plopping down onto the ground. To her fortune, it didn’t even lick her, it just laid there, its eyes beginning to drift closed. Joan gave a silent thank you to Korgron for teaching her such a silly trick. “That’s a good boy,” she said softly before she began to lightly rub its snout. “You’re not a big, nasty thing at all, are you? You don’t want to--”

Joan’s words were cut off by the tongue suddenly dashing out from its mouth and licking up her body, proving her fortune wasn’t quite as good as she’d hoped. As terrible as it had been for the Hero, this was so many times worse. Her mouth had been open. She hacked and coughed, spitting and trying to get that taste out of her mouth. “Ew ew ew ew,” Joan said.

“Impressive,” A voice said from behind her. “I didn’t think any humans knew that trick.”

“I’m just full of surprises,” Joan said before turning around. Only to let out a soft, indignant squeak and pull away from the source of the voice. Unfortunately she didn’t get a chance to go far before a hand covered in black metal reached out, snagged her by the chin and pulled her in close. She stared up into eyes that almost glimmered like gold coins.

Another demon, but this one seemed different. Two twisted horns protruded from his forehead, almost as long as her arm. He was wrapped entirely in dark, black armor that looked almost like obsidian and across his back was an axe that, frankly, seemed almost comical in size. His eyes were a solid golden color, no iris or pupil. Just solid gold. For a moment she thought they actually were gold, but they did move a little bit. Slowly a grin formed on his lips, revealing two small rows of tiny, sharp teeth. “Oh, aren’t you just. What’s your name?”

“Joan,” she said instinctively, staring up at the man.

“Joan. That’s a nice name. Tell me, Joan. What is a little thing like you doing out here all by yourself?” the man asked, before his eyes glanced to the ropes on her wrists. “An escapee?”

Joan gulped and shook her head. “No, sir.”

“You wouldn’t be lying to me, now would you?” the man asked, his grip only tightening on her face.

“No, sir,” Joan said, her cheeks burning red when she realized how quickly she had started treating him with respect.

“I can’t abide liars. Especially naughty little liars,” the man said before his gaze turned towards the camp.

Viglan was staring at the pair of them with a look of horror. Slowly he began to walk towards them. “Err, hey boss,” the demon said before nervously swallowing. “I was just, err, teaching the new tribute a lesson. Teaching her that, uhhh, why you’re the boss and--”

“Oh?” the man asked. If he was the boss, it must have meant he was Dixon. “By teaching her how to tame my pet?”

“No, of course not,” Viglan said. “I was just--”

“Not many humans who can do that. You didn’t teach her?” Dixon asked.

“Of course not. I didn’t even know she could,” Viglan said.

Joan let out a squeak when her face was released and she stumbled back before falling on the ground. Dixon turned to look at her before kneeling down to look her in the eye. “You certainly did know how to though, didn’t you? Who taught you that?”

Joan gulped and stared up into those golden eyes. A part of her told her that she had to answer, another part of her screamed to not say anything. “An old friend,” she finally said. “She was a demon.”

“Oh? Interesting. Well then, Joan. Here’s hoping you and I will grow up to be friends one day,” Dixon said with a light laugh. Joan didn’t believe that for a second. She did notice that Dixon’s head then turned towards the sword Viglan was holding, but he didn’t say a word about it. After a moment he motioned to her. “Well? Get her in the cage. We’ve got tributes to deliver.”

“Yes sir,” Viglan said, quickly bowing his head and making his way towards her. However, when he passed Dixon, the other demon’s hand shot out and wrapped around his arm, causing him to drop the sword.

“One more thing,” Dixon said. Joan cringed when she saw the man’s hand begin to glow red and smoke started to rise from Viglan’s arm, tears beginning to form in his eyes but he didn’t cry out. “Let’s not have any more ‘lessons’, understand?”

“Of course, sir,” Viglan said, giving a soft whimper and clenching his fist.

Dixon nodded, but didn’t let go for a few more seconds. When he did, Joan could see a deep, red mark on the arm, the skin seared. She couldn’t imagine how much that had to hurt, even if he was a demon. He didn’t try to pick up the sword again, instead making his way to her and tugging her to her feet with his other arm, the burnt one held tightly at his side.

 

------

 

Joan huddled in the corner of the cage, her arms wrapped tightly around herself and her knees pulled up to her chest. There were three others in the cage with her and, judging by their appearances, they weren’t anywhere near as capable as her. One of them looked old enough to be her grandfather and, judging by the fact he hadn’t stirred since she had been put in the cage, he either was dead or had long since given up.

The second had his back to her and was just staring out into the darkness of the forest, his knees hugged to his chest and he kept muttering to himself about ‘shadows’. She didn’t want to imagine what he had been through to end up in such a state or what he was so scared of seeing out there.

The third was the one who worried her the most. He looked almost twice her age and had a rough, angry look about him. When she had been the Hero she’d had tons of people who looked at her like that. Usually right before they tried to pick a fight with her and she had to send their faces through a table. Now wasn’t the time to be fighting, though. Why he’d want to be fighting with her anyway she couldn’t imagine, as far as he knew she was just a child.

Joan glanced out of the cage and towards the main camp. There were so many demons and a handful of humans. She wondered what they were getting out of this. Perhaps the demons were offering them power and wealth. Or perhaps just safety. They were behind demon lines, it likely was safer than opposing them. It still sickened her, though. Even if they weren’t able to fight the demons, the least they could do was not betray their fellow humans.

Speaking of sickening behavior, her eyes narrowed when she saw Andreas walking towards the cage from the main camp.

“Comfortable?” he asked.

“The bars give it a nice homey feel and the wood floor is positively delightful,” Joan said. “Reminds me of home.”

“Where was home, exactly?” Andreas asked.

Joan narrowed her eyes on him and shook her head. “You know where it is.”

“Right, right. And your friend Searle, wasn’t it? Bauteut?” Andreas asked. “Did they teach you how to do that?”

“Do ‘that’? Do what?” Joan asked.

“You know what,” Andreas said.

“Tame the burdensharer? No, they didn’t. That was Korgron,” Joan said firmly. “And you know how and why. I told you already.”

“You told me a lot of things,” Andreas said. “You never mentioned you could do that. What else can you do?”

“A lot, I could list all of it but it’d take a while,” Joan said before giving a small smile to him. “Why? Have you finally changed your mind? Decided to help me?”

Andreas shook his head. “Kid, I’m not breaking you out of here. I told you. It’s not--”

“You’re not this person, Andreas,” Joan said, cutting him off before glancing around the cage. She turned around to face him, leaning her head against the bars. “You’re not a traitor. You’re not a killer. You’re a lot of things, like--”

“You overestimate me,” Andreas said with a sigh. “I’m not some kind of hero, even if you want me to be.”

“You may not be a hero, but you are a chosen,” Joan said. “The chosen shouldn’t be working with demons like them.”

“But some demons are okay?” Andreas asked.

“Some. Korgron is good. She’s not with the Demon Lord. I know she’s not. She’s just doing something. But I know she’s not with him,” Joan said firmly.

Andreas gave a sigh before giving her a look filled with pity. “You really believe all that stuff, don’t you?”

“Of course,” Joan said. “I’ve seen it all, after all. More times than I can properly count.”

“Then you should have seen what’s coming,” Andreas said. “I’m not the kind of guy who sticks his head out for random kids.”

Joan sighed before shaking her head. She felt that doubt creeping into herself. Was it really possible after all their lives together this was the time he betrayed her? No. She shoved that thought aside. She refused to allow herself to believe it. “I really don’t know what you’re planning, Andreas. But I know you won’t betray me. I know I can trust you. Besides, I’ve seen you stick your head out for random kids all the time.”

Andreas sighed and shook his head, a hand pressing against his forehead. “Kid, you really don’t know anything. Do you really believe all of that?”

“Of course.”

“You’re just going to break your own heart like this.”

“Then swear to me,” Joan said.

“Very well, I swear,” Andreas said.

“No, not like that,” Joan said. “Swear to me on the Scorpion and Snail. Swear that you’ll not do anything.”

“Very well,” Andreas said before looking into her eyes. “I hereby swear, Joan, on the Scorpion and Snail. If these words are lies may my strength leave my body and poison fill my veins. I have no intentions of getting you away from this. Satisfied?”

Joan stared at him for the longest time before, finally, she looked up at the sky. He’d made a vow on his very patrons. They couldn’t just ignore that, could they? He gave his word. But there was nothing. No signs of anger from the gods. No warnings. Not even an ominous thunder clap in the distance. Would the gods react? Did they care if he was lying?

Was he even lying?

Joan felt her faith and belief beginning to fade away. “You… you really mean it, don’t you?”

“Of course,” Andreas said. “Get some sleep, kid. The next few days are going to be rough.” With those parting words the Chosen of the Spear turned around and walked away, leaving her behind.

Joan watched him go and felt as if her heart was shattering. How? After all they had been through, everything they had done together, all of the challenges they had been through together, the lifetimes of friendship and comradery, how was it that now he was betraying her? In the moment she needed him most?

It wasn’t possible.

No, it had to be a trick. He wasn’t…

The words rang hollow no matter how many times she repeated them in her head. He told her everything, what he was. What he intended to do. He’d even made a vow on his very patrons.

He wasn’t her friend anymore.

What did this even mean? What would happen now? What was she going to do?

Joan leaned forward, digging her head against the bars.

She didn’t know what she’d do or how she’d do it. But what she did know was she couldn’t wait here until she was dead and it was too late to fix things. Her eyes wandered over the camp once more and she felt a small smile form over her lips.

Her other sword was probably still on the floor of that storage tent. This cage wasn’t that secure. If she was patient, well… how hard could it be? If he wouldn’t help her then she’d just help herself. If he wouldn’t rescue her then she’d just rescue him later.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server.

118