Book 4 Chapter 9: HIM!
1.5k 5 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Joan’s heart pounded and she tried to move. Unfortunately, she could only try. Her body refused to respond to her commands, all she could do was watch the approaching Demon Lord.

She’d never been this close to him while she was so much smaller than him. Nor had his red eyes ever seemed nearly as intimidating, as if they were a burning flame that would envelop her at any moment. Could he hear how hard her heart was pounding? Was this how her life would end? Could she even hurt him now? She certainly couldn’t kill his demons. But maybe if she could strike him down now, she could at least know that the Inferno God’s rebirth would be delayed. Maybe it would buy the chosen enough time to find a way to get to his heart and destroy it before he could arise.

If only she could move. He was almost here. She pleaded with her hand, just move. Strike. Attack. Do something. HE WAS LOOKING RIGHT AT HER.

Then the Demon Lord walked right past her.

Joan could finally breathe and she quickly turned around to watch him walk to the woman they’d saved, kneeling down to where Qakog had dropped her. Odd, she didn’t remember him dropping her. But then he probably had when she had been knocked into him. Either way, the Demon Lord reached down and shoved the hood off the woman’s face before, finally, slapping her across the face so hard an imprint of his hand was left across her cheek. “You useless fool. What did I tell you?” he asked in furious demonic.

“M-my lord, I was--” the woman said, but was quickly cut off.

“What did I tell you?” the Demon Lord asked again.

“Don’t move, but I was--” She was silenced by another slap, this one not nearly as loud as the first, but placed upon the same location as the first.

“I said do not move. Do not run. Do you have any idea how much you have set me back?” the Demon Lord asked, his words all but trembling with rage. “I should have left you to die. Next time I will. Be grateful for the blood in your veins or I would tear out your heart myself. Stand up, we’re leaving.”

“I can’t,” the woman said. “My legs, they’re—” She let out a shriek of pain when he reached to grab the bottom of her robe, lifting it up to reveal the burned, smoldering legs. The scent of burning flesh filled the air, making Joan struggle to avoid retching.

The Demon Lord sighed. “Very well. You’ve already cost me so much, what is a little more?” He reached into the small pouch at his hip and pulled out a small, golden vial. “Drink,” he ordered.

“But my lord, this--”

“If you perish now after what you’ve cost me, you only make this more of a wasted effort,” the Demon Lord said. “Drink this. Now. And you two.” He got to his feet and glanced between Qakog and her, finally seeming to notice them. “Good wo--” And then the words stopped. His eyes locked on Joan and she took a small step back. “You are not one of mine.”

“No,” Joan said back before cringing, a hand moving up to her throat. Now that she thought about it she didn’t think she had spoken demonic before in this life. Even such a simple word hurt her throat.

The Demon Lord stared down at her before giving a sigh. “Of course, Kazora. A shame, it seems today has been your great misfortune.” He held out his right hand towards her and the start of flames appeared in his palm.

Suddenly Qakog stood between her and the Demon Lord, his rapier out. Unfortunately, the Demon Lord didn’t seem to care, the flame growing in his hand. “Per--”

“My lord!” the woman yelled, making him hesitate. “Please, they saved me, I--”

“THEY saved you?” the Demon Lord yelled, turning to face her again, the flames dissipating from his hand. “No. You should not have had any need of ‘saving’ to begin with. If you had merely followed my direction and obeyed my commands, none of this would have happened. Now I have lost one of my most powerful beasts, another is wounded and all of my efforts were for naught!”

Joan stared, her eyes wide. She glanced back at the demons. One of them was wounded, the other two keeping watch over the corpse of the troll. Not that she could blame them, they always were notoriously difficult to keep down. But the important thing was they weren’t watching her and Qakog. She reached out and grabbed his hand before tugging him away.

Qakog glanced back at her, confusion on his face. “Huh?”

“Come on,” Joan whispered. No, she couldn’t face the Demon Lord here. While she didn’t have any idea who the woman was, she at least seemed safe from his more murderous instincts. She, as quietly as she could, slipped away.

“My lord, I merely meant, I… I was frightened,” the woman said. “That troll was unlike anything I had ever seen.”

“Frightened?” the Demon Lord asked, his voice filled with fury. “Oh, how silly of me. Apparently it is okay for years of effort to be tossed aside because you were ‘frightened’. Obviously I should have been more careful!”

Joan kept walking, pulling Qakog behind her and hoping he wouldn’t turn around. Thank the stars themselves that the Demon Lord didn’t know who she was or she knew he wouldn’t have hesitated to eliminate her in a moment. It wasn’t until a few minutes after they left the clearing that she finally allowed herself to take a deep breath and relax. Compared to the multiple near deaths she’d just experienced, the biting bugs of the swamp seemed almost nice.

“Why did you have me flee?” Qakog asked. “He was threatening you. He--”

“You saw what he had control of,” Joan said. “Do you know what those were?”

“I do now. Titanslayers,” Qakog said. “The six heralds of the Demon Lord.”

Joan paused. “Wait, what?”

“Titanslayers,” Qakog said again.

“Oh,” Joan said. “Wait, six? How do you know six?”

“There are legends of such things,” Qakog said. “The six heralds of the Demon Lord, his most powerful and loyal minions. One of which were slain in that battle against that monster.”

“I’m sure he has more than…” Joan trailed off and thought on it for a moment. Did she ever face more than six? Now that she thought about it, she only ever remembered facing four of them in a life. Were there more? As powerful as they were, they weren’t nearly as powerful as the Hero or the chosen. Still, they were dangerous. “Anyway. That meant he was the Demon Lord. You can’t mean to fight him.”

“If he threatens you, I will,” Qakog said firmly.

Joan rolled her eyes. “That’s sweet. Very, very stupid. And suicidal. But sweet. Incredibly stupid. Like, how stupid I can be sometimes.” She glanced down at the bracer. She wondered if this meant she had to thank Bauteut for knowing she was likely to throw herself in the way of danger and possible death. Maybe she’d just keep that part to herself. The sound of powerful winds made her quickly throw herself against a nearby tree, pulling him behind her. A moment later she saw the titanslayers flying overhead and away.

“We need to return to Kazora,” Joan said. “They need to know the Demon Lord is near.”

“You never told me you could speak demonic,” Qakog said.

“I can’t very well,” Joan said. “It hurts my throat.”

“Can you read it?” Qakog asked.

“A little,” Joan said. “Does that really matter?”

She didn’t receive an answer from him, which she hoped was a good sign. Either way, her mind was already awash with different thoughts and plans.

If the Demon Lord was here, there was no telling what he was up to. Worse, if he was summoning the obsidian trolls, that meant the Inferno God’s revival might be closer than she thought. Fortunately it seemed he couldn’t yet control them and, more importantly, he had lost one of his strongest demons in the attempt. On top of that, his plans had been at least somewhat set back by all that had happened.

Perhaps it would be enough. Either way, she needed to warn Isla that the Demon Lord was here. If she was captured again there was no telling what would happen to Korgron. If only she hadn’t sent the chosen off. She just hoped she could get back to the city before whatever army he had with him arrived.

 

------

 

Joan couldn’t believe it. For once luck was on her side. Thank the stars, fate, the gods, whatever it was. But she walked into the city and they weren’t under siege from the Demon Lord’s forces. In fact, there was no sign of the Demon Lord. Though she couldn’t help but note that the main gate was once more sealed and they had to wait to be allowed back inside.

Perhaps they already knew? Either way, she had to let Isla know. Any thought of glory or praise from the discovery of the Tomb of the Creator vanished from her mind and she headed straight for the castle, making her was as quickly as she could through the streets.

Once within the palace’s courtyard she gave Qakog a small nod and let him know he could go off to talk about the tomb, only pausing a moment to request he not mention her involvement for now. That earned her a confused look, but he agreed to her wish. She really didn’t care about the tomb when she knew the Demon Lord could be here any moment. She headed straight for the throne room, occasionally getting confused looks from the servants and guards when she passed.

Not that she blamed them. Every step she made caused a soft squishing sound through the halls and she was probably leaving a trail of mud with each step, but that could wait. She was nearly to the door when she found one of the soldiers in front of it, blocking her way. “I need to see Isla,” Joan said.

“Her highness is entertaining an important guest,” he said. “She can’t--”

“This really can’t wait,” Joan said. “There’s a--”

“Miss Joan,” the guard said before moving back against the door, his arms crossed when he looked down at her. “Please return to your room.”

“But—”

“Immediately,” he said.

Joan stared up at him and then the door. It was important! There was a real, credible danger here. If the Demon Lord attacked the city while they weren’t prepared, the death count would be massive.

But of course he refused to listen to her. After all, she was just a child covered in mud. How could she possibly know anything of importance? She resisted the urge, barely, to scream.

Well, she didn’t care. There was more than one way into the throne room and she’d just go that route. “Fine,” she said before storming off down the hall. She walked down the hall and made her way straight towards the back entrance to the throne room, the one Isla and Korgron usually took. She was certain Isla would understand once she told her. To her delight, the door wasn’t guarded at all and she pushed it open with a simple motion before walking in.

Only to almost run straight into Frisk, who had his back to her. Unfortunately, she didn’t have much time to react before he turned and saw her. His eyes went wide with alarm and she opened her mouth.

Only for him to be on her a moment later, a hand over her mouth, muffling her yell. “Shhhh,” Frisk whispered. “Child, by all the gods, keep your mouth silent. If not for Lady Isla’s sake, then your own.”

Joan reached both hands up to his hand, trying to get it off her mouth when he yanked her close, tightly wrapping his other arm around her neck and holding her still. She was about three seconds from stabbing him when she heard it and her entire body went still.

“A minor misunderstanding, your highness,” the Demon Lord’s voice came, so smooth and ominous that it sent chills down her spine.

Frisk let out a sigh of relief, though he didn’t take his hand off her mouth. “Why are you covered in mud? No matter. Keep silent,” he ordered.

“I would hardly call keeping me trapped against my will a ‘misunderstanding’,” Isla said. “Or using my captivity to force my sister to serve you.”

“Trapped? Nonsense,” the Demon Lord said. “You were a guest. I was merely trying to ensure that you weren’t harmed. It would have been a terrible shame if the sister to one of the chosen were to perish, would it not? Why would I desire to have made such a powerful enemy?”

“And yet it took the chosen to free me,” Isla said. “And if I was such a ‘guest’, why did your general try to kill me?”

“What?” the Demon Lord asked.

“Gil,” Isla said. “Don’t pretend you don’t know.”

“Gil attempted to slay you?” the Demon Lord asked. To his credit, he did sound surprised by this. Though, honestly, Joan didn’t believe it for a second. She wished she could see his face, she was sure she could read it better if she could. Unfortunately, from her current position she could only hear what was going on in the throne room, it was impossible to see the people within. “Another unfortunate misunderstanding. Surely he was merely attempting to rescue you. How was he to know that you were in the care of the chosen?”

“I’m not sure what else you believed could have delivered such destruction,” Isla said.

“What else? The Hero,” the Demon Lord said, sending another chill down Joan’s back.

“Of course, the Hero,” Isla said. “The Hero who, as far as we know, doesn’t exist. Besides, the Hero is no enemy of Kazora. Nor are the chosen.”

“The Hero could appear at any time,” the Demon Lord said. “You know this as well as I. Once he does, do you honestly believe he will be a friend of demons like yourself? Like your sister?”

“Am I to expect you to be?” Isla asked.

“Of course, we both want the same thing,” the Demon Lord said.

“I desire peace,” Isla said. “You desire conquest.”

“So long as the other races exist there can be no such thing as peace,” the Demon Lord said. “This world belongs to the demons like us. If the Hero comes once more and the chosen follow him again, then--”

“We will be enemies,” Isla said. “I am not one of the chosen though, Demon Lord. Kazora does not direct my sister’s action. You know as well as I that the chosen follow the will of the gods, not nations.”

“And should the Hero appear, they will follow his will,” the Demon Lord said. “How many kingdoms have fallen before his endless greed?”

“How many have fallen before your own, Demon Lord?” Isla asked.

“Human kingdoms,” the Demon Lord said. “But the difference between the Hero and I is that I am no human. I have protected and guided the demons. He turns on his own once his so called ‘destiny’ is fulfilled. If he appears, do you really believe that your kingdom will be safe? That he won’t turn on Kazora and eliminate it the moment it suits his needs?”

“Am I to believe you will not?” Isla asked, her voice haughty. “Besides, while serving as your guest I heard quite the interesting rumor. There were those who say that you, yourself, were once human.”

The Demon Lord’s laughter, cold, cruel and threatening echoed through the hall. “Oh? And please, tell me. Did you believe such a thing was possible?”

“Perhaps,” Isla said. “Where there is smoke, there is often flame.”

“I am no more human than you,” the Demon Lord said. “And far less human than the Hero will be. Should he appear and the chosen gather to his side, that will include your sister.”

“It would,” Isla said. “But I have no reason to believe he will appear now. If he has, why has he not made a move?”

“There are already rumors that he has,” the Demon Lord said. “Amongst the humans there is already the soft whisper that the Hero is in hiding. Waiting. More and more of the chosen are appearing. It is only a matter of time until he joins with them. Then--”

“Should he appear, perhaps we will begin this conversation anew, Demon Lord,” Isla said.

“Must you speak so coldly to me?” the Demon Lord asked. “I come here, alone and unarmed. I--”

“You are no less armed than I,” Isla said harshly, cutting him off.

“I come not with weapons,” the Demon Lord said, his voice now burning with anger. “But perhaps next time I will show you what my power truly is capable of. If you will not be swayed with words, then perhaps you will learn to kneel through force.”

“Do not make hollow threats, Demon Lord,” Isla said. “You know well the consequences if you were to attack Kazora. You cannot hope to win a war on two fronts, especially should most of your army abandon you.”

“You can’t begin to grasp the full might of my forces,” the Demon Lord said angrily and then there was a loud crack, making both her and Frisk jump. Joan couldn’t help being slightly grateful that her mouth was covered.

“Perhaps not,” Isla said. “But if you were able to destroy us, you would have by now. You would not have dedicated so much to capturing me. Nor would you have attempted to force my sister to your side on the belief that she was a chosen.”

“You are arrogant, your highness,” the Demon Lord said. “You underestimate me.”

“And you overestimate yourself,” Isla said. “But very well. Perhaps you are right. My sister is not here, none of the chosen are. You will not get a better chance to strike me down. So why not attempt it?”

She could hear the Demon Lord’s furious growl. “Do not think I fear you, princess. Kazora shall be mine.”

“Perhaps one day. But not today,” Isla said before she went silent. Joan waited for something to happen, for some more words to be said, her own tension rising as she could feel Frisk’s heart pounding heavily. Finally, Isla cleared her voice. “Thank you for your visit and do know your joy at my safe return to the throne is noted.”

“But of course, your highness,” the Demon Lord said, the fury in his voice gone. “Please, wish your sister well on my behalf. And I pray, should the Hero make his cursed appearance, you will both remember which side you owe your loyalty to.”

“Of course,” Isla said.

There were heavy footsteps and then the sound of a heavy door opening and slamming shut. A moment later there was an exhausted sigh. “I think I handled that about as well as could be expected,” Isla said. “Demon Lord or not, he certainly is trouble.”

“That he is,” Frisk said with a sigh. “However, there is a slight issue.”

“What?” Isla asked before giving a light grunt and then the sounds of footsteps started walking towards them.

Joan urked and tried to break free of his grip, but Frisk refused to release her. After a few moments Isla came around the corner and into the small passageway before stopping. She rested a hand against her cheek and shook her head. “Of course. Why is she covered in mud?”

“I couldn’t say,” Frisk said. “But she came running in during the middle of your meeting.”

“Of course,” Isla said before making a small gesture with her hand.

Frisk let Joan go and she stumbled forward, landing on the ground with a damp, squishing sound. She quickly sit up and glared at Isla. “You were meeting with the Demon Lord! When Korgron finds out she’ll--”

“Already suspects this was going to happen,” Isla said before stopping in front of her. “You smell like death. Come along, let’s get you cleaned up. A nice bath will be honestly refreshing after talking with that man.”

Joan opened her mouth, trying to come up with some proper response. Unfortunately, only one thing came to mind. “She does? Suspect it, I mean?”

“Likely,” Isla said before kneeling down in front of her. “Why are you covered in sludge? Were you playing in the swamp?”

“I wasn’t playing,” Joan said defensively. “I was… err…”

Isla gave a sigh before glancing to Frisk. “Have the baths prepared, please. You’ll likely need to take one yourself.”

“As you wish, your highness,” Frisk said before bowing his head.

Isla then turned her focus back to Joan. “You are certainly a lucky little child, Joan.”

“Why?” Joan asked.

“Had you been anyone else, Frisk would have snapped your neck for intruding like that. You would have deserved it, as well,” Isla said before getting to her feet and grabbing Joan by the arm before hauling her off. “Come along. We’ve got a lot to talk about, it seems.”

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page. If you'd like to support me directly I now have a ko-fi page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server. I also now have a twitter page where I announce news and releases.

114