Chapter 3
151 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quickly went through the list of names and picked a random name to switch with mine as I only had 5 minutes. Having completed my task and a huge weight off my shoulders I walked back to the centre of the gymnasium. I dressed slightly better than usual. I took off my hoody to show I had a slightly crinkled suit I used to wear to church when my parents were still alive. The shirt was a tight fit but it would have to do.

“Kevin Smith, Peter Hill, Steven miller, Noah Fox-,” As soon I heard my name. I moved up towards the front where they had an elevated podium. A lot of the other kids were moving as well. We were being led to stand in lines to await our uniforms and other essentials.

Once everything was settled. We were told to bring our parents or carers. I knew I was going to have to tell the reverend that I moved to a different school which was going to be an awkward conversation. Especially since I kept him in the dark as regards to what I was doing even though he took care of me a bit when I came to him when I was 6.

I was pretty much self-sufficient. By then even though it was a dangerous form of it. Most people would be willing to give something to a small child. If I asked for change but that wouldn’t do because that was also dangerous, and you could get hurt by all those other homeless adults. They would take offense to you taking money from people that could be giving them money. Their thought process was that whatever they were willing to give you, they could have gotten themselves. That it was their territory.

I took the paperwork from the secretary lady telling her that I would bring my carer in after he had signed everything. I would be starting the coming Monday for the start of the school semester in September.

I left once I had everything to go back home and contemplated what I was going to do next because one of my problems was sorted out. Which was safety although, only when I was in uniform would it protect me and only from so much attention. There were threats, I would still have to worry about. They wouldn’t care about those social niceties like the Joker, Killer Croc. According to my memories, the justice league existed. All the big heroes were there all though I don’t remember if a cyborg was in there.

I would have to search the news clipping to find some level of what continuum I was apart of now and wasn’t that a big headache? Am I in a fiction world? Or do authors have some level of peering into other worlds and writing what they see?

I got into the church and since it was a Friday few people inside the church. I knew that the reverend wasn’t going to be at his usual place and so I went straight into his office and knocked on his door.

“Yes?”

“Reverend Jack, it’s me, Noah, I need a favour,” I said.

“Okay come on in,” said the reverend while I opened the door and sat in one of his comfortable chairs.

I looked around the room and as usual, it was amazing. It had a lot of beautiful paintings that were donated to the church but could not be hung up anywhere else and amazing looking pottery.

“So, Noah, what do you need?” he looked at me enquiringly.

“I first need to tell you that I got accepted to Gotham Academy and that I want to attend, but I need my carer's permission. I can’t go back to the orphanage because its bad news if I have to get permission from them, they will never allow it,”

“So, you want me to act as your guardian? But how did you even get accepted into Gotham academy? Your name should not have even been put in there, to begin with. I am pretty sure you have missed half your classes this year alone. So be honest with me Noah what did you do,” The Reverend wasn’t an idiot and he fed me and gave me a place to sleep. I didn’t want to betray his trust but I couldn’t be fully honest with either because it would endanger him too much. I cared about him too much to let Gotham swallow this kind man.

“Okay, so I may have hacked-,”

“Okay speak louder Noah I didn’t quite hear that,”

“I hacked into my old school and changed around my scores and hacked into Gotham Academy. I needed to because one of my old teachers was sabotaging my work, so I would flunk. I got myself into Gotham academy but it is not like anyone can prove it was me. Even if they suspect an error or something there are more than 200 other students. I doubt one extra would affect anything,” I said.

“Noah! How could you have done that, you know if you are caught you will be sent to Gotham’s very own juvenile detention facility. You know that the corrupt police officers and the crime family recruit from there. You would be in danger and for what a school for elite brats and why didn’t you tell me before about that teacher?”

“And what would you have done to that teacher? He was part of Maroni’s crime family and he was their recruiter. It's because I would get the protection of those very elite brats! No random mob would be able to try to recruit me into just any random gang of the millions in Gotham!” I shouted at the reverend panting.

“I’m sorry Noah I should have understood what you were going through. Your still so young, okay I will sign and head to Gotham academy tomorrow. Please next time you are having problems come to me and we can sort something out together,” Said the reverend saddened.

I did not want to see the reverend sad, but I needed to get into Gotham to give me time to build up my technology and tools needed to protect myself. I went back upstairs to my little corner attic and prepared to start making more gear I could use.

 

5