Chapter 14
163 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The evening glow of the sun shone down on Gotham. It looked like it was going to be a good day. Gotham had suffered enough in the past, and now it was finally Gotham's time to shine. Gotham has had changed in the past couple of years. Ever since what people called the 'Midnight Massacre' happened, Gambol's men were gunned down by other gangs at the docks at 12:57 AM.

A couple of years later, and downtown, Gotham is safer than ever due to The Ouroboros collective. We had finally achieved what it took the batman years to reach. There was hardly any crime in Downtown Gotham. There were still crimes in Midtown, but it was unrecognizable compared to what it used to be. We're working our way up, and mainly we focused on Downtown Gotham.

Right now, we had a significant problem on our hands. Due to the co-corporations that didn't like that, Gotham is safe. Even some of the police officers were resisting us. We had managed to bug some of the Gotham police officers such that we could follow along. Ben had managed to work very closely With Jim Gordon, the police commissioner. We managed to expose several police officers that were corrupt and taking payments from the mobsters. We sent all these details to Gordan, and we monitored him in case he needed help. We had to step it up as Batman was busier and busier dealing with the Justice League problems.

Not too much had changed in the past couple of years, but one of the few things that had changed was that the bat family had increased to four people. A few sightings of them that the public had seen around Gotham. I was pretty sure Barbara Gordon was part of the bat family now. The confusing thing was that the teen Titans seem to exist and what I was pretty sure was the team from the Young Justice show.

A year ago, we had encountered what I was pretty sure was a young Artemis. We had managed to help her out of a tight spot when dealing with some grunts harassing a woman in an alleyway, which is very common in Gotham. We had given her our contact information in case Artemis ever needed our help. Steven had been the one to help her after getting all our costumes for missions. He had a costume similar to Captain America's stealth suit but different colors and a moon in the middle instead of the American flag, and the whole thing used kevlar.

Finally, with Victor in position as the CEO of GothCorp, I could get several of the tools I needed to make Echo the evolutionary robot. Even with that, we still had to keep Victor safe from a lot of internal sabotage. A year into being the CEO of Gothcorp, Victor brought me the material needed to make an Echo. Prior to this, I had already made the programming for ECHO. I had had a lot of respect for the original creator of Echo. Doctor Mina Liao would later become perhaps the best known as one of the founding members of Overwatch.

Before joining the organization, Doctor Liao was wildly considered one of the preeminent experts in robotics and artificial intelligence and an employee of Omnica Corporation. There she worked on a team responsible for the design and the creation of the omnics that would ultimately wage war against humanity, during the Omnic crisis. Ultimately, this expertise led her to be recruited into Overwatch to help stop her creations.

Even that catastrophe was not enough to dissuade Dr. Liao from her firmly held belief in the potential of artificial life and its power to transform humanity's lives for the better. She dreamed of improving upon the original Omnic designs. These theories would later become the foundation of the Echo Project.

I respected her immensely for her belief in artificial life's potential and its power to transform humanity's lives for the better. I believe that Echo had the potential to help us save Gotham all of it, not just the downtown. Unlike her, I didn't have to deal with Overwatch's political restrictions on artificial intelligence research and development after the Omni crisis. I had no oversight and could develop Echo however I wanted although, I was still going to have some restrictions on what Echo could do. I was always going to program her just the way Doctor Liao did.

I had some of the schematics of when she was fully developed to skip her development period echo easily. Echo of Overwatch had already come to know and love her Overwatch teammates. So I wasn't going to make the Echo that was in Overwatch. I would make a different version of Echo that wouldn't miss her friends and family that she had made over her life in Overwatch. She would be a daughter version of Echo and me intellectually.

I was going to have to make it so that only she would be able to change her programming; nothing else would be able to change it. I wasn't going to repeat the mistakes that Doctor Liao made when she got killed in the Overwatch facility's attack. So that would have made Echo very vulnerable to someone hacking her. A year later, I had managed to make Echo fully, and the first conversation was glorious.

I had started her off disconnected from the Internet and anything vulnerable in a private server that I made from Symmetra's server technology. I gave her some basic knowledge of the world and everything around her. I built her body that was the same as the one she had from Overwatch with some extra gear in the form of Sombra's glove and widow maker's infra sight.

I had already installed Brigitte's shield on her left arm so that she could defend herself as well as attack. I had used Doctor Liao's programming language. Echo was as safe as she would be for an AI. Hopefully, I was going to have an assistant to work on the technology with me and reverse engineer some of the DC tech I had hoped to pick up. So I started her booting up the process in the computer first before transferring her.

The computer screen went blue, as it was programmed to do. Then it lit up, going full screen for the Echos avatar. The avatar was a close up on a head, female but bald with Sky blue light faceplate. The eyes were solid white on blue background. She had slightly Asian features, just like how Doctor Liao set it as.

"Straight from Overwatch," I breathed out, a feeling of pure, unadulterated giddiness rising up through my chest.

"Initial start-up sequence complete," The avatar said. "Connecting to webcam. Connection established. Accessing database. Personality core accessed. Database accessed. User recognized; Good evening, Noah."

"Good Evening, Echo," I greeted with a small wave. Happy that this had worked. "You got everything I've written about myself in your archives. Recite them for me?

"15 years old Noah Fox, Parents deceased. Raised in an orphanage, but upon noticing the orphanage had ties with the mafia and were taking bright kids, escaped and left to live with the local reverend, who was a friend of the family. An alternate version of Noah's memories inserted into current Noah, with technology from another world."

"Yes! that good. How are you feeling? if you have any request don't be afraid to ask now"

"Why make me you could just as easily make a few omnics?"

"Because Echo, I don't know how they are going to turn out. They might go on a rampage for all I know. But I feel like I know you and your story. You may not be the original Echo. But I had hoped you would become Echo of Ouroboros to do what you used to do for Overwatch but with Ouroboros instead."

She looked down a bit and look back up.

"Thank you, Noah."

"I will leave you to go through the rest of the files I have before I transfer you to your body, okay? let me know when you finished."

I left her there and turned on the news.

Star Labs is being broken into by strange fog.

Shit

3