LOYD
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The moon shone bright, as many nights before it. Seemingly unchanging from night to night, the full moon stood tall. The sky that accompanied it was equally blissful but rather contradictory to its presence, it was pitch black.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Cold breeze was pretty harsh as the weather wasn’t one to take lightly this time of year. No snow could be seen but the temperature was low enough to torment those unprepared for it. As quiet as you’d like such a night to be, bells disrupted the peace. Bells from a certain residence of power.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Colossal and opulent said residence sure was. A grand cathedral stood tall in the middle of this city scape, piercing the sky with its majestic architecture. The city had lights springing all over the place and dark chariots with hanging lamps could be seen roaming the streets. The streets sure were busy around this particular place, moving around on the street was surely safe, except for the fact that someone could get run over by a horse in the dark.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Pointy rooftops, stained and decorated glass windows, quasi statue indented walls. Rich wouldn’t sufficiently describe the holy estate. Looked like something out of a dream. But a dream it was not, as conscious people could be seen strolling in and out of it. Though the night was cold, the people were well dressed. From full overcoats to topcoats, homburg hats to top hats, high boots to rain boots. They were prepared. This was an active place, seemed to be the most active one of the town. Footsteps were what crowded the nearby vibrations. That was until a rumbling started approaching the scene.
⠀⠀⠀⠀A bi horse drawn rich and opulent looking carriage had arrived. The horses were fully black and the carriage was mostly so with hints of blue outlines on outer edges. The crowd had started to notice it, pulling up in front of the cathedral. Expressions started changing and filling with joy and content. Excitement levels were rising.
⠀⠀⠀⠀The carriage door opened and smoke started emerging from inside. It wasn’t much but enough to be noticeable in the cold evening. A hand grabbed on to the side of the doorway and a sharp looking man emerged from the moving domicile. His clothes resembled the lot around the estate though they were much more fine and rich. He wore no hat, but had his dark blond hair combed and slicked back. His blue eyes bore the weight of his past, wearing it on his face like a badge of honor. The most peculiar article of clothing he was donning was a bird beak shaped mask with circular vents to its sides. His demeanor was of a man of stature. Most fittingly so, as he is the one who owned this cathedral and the nine others that reached to the edges of the city.
⠀⠀⠀⠀The man started walking off toward the front entrance. The populace around him converged towards the same goal. The chatter and disturbance outside seemed to settle as most of them had reached the residence, the carriage had also gone to a warmer place to rest. Bells echoed throughout the brugh but not a soul to be heard outside. Everything else went purely silent.
⠀⠀⠀⠀The inside of the establishment was truly crowded, people were finding their seats. Candles illuminated their surroundings and the moonlight brought color by passing through the multi tinted windows. It sure was bumming with excitement.
The Inside of the residence doesn’t let up on its magnificent outer shell. Beauty could be seen from every angle. High ceilings with crossed patterns weaving about, pillars erecting to support its massive weight were chiseled to perfection, mindless amounts of architectural detailing populated the innards of this landmark. A second floor stood tall around the filled pews of people below. Individuals of interest could be seen standing and leaning over the parapets above.
⠀⠀⠀⠀The level of deep seeded respect everyone has for this religious act of gathering was unlike anything this world had seen before, nothing could compare to their unwavering loyalty. Seemingly a worthwhile cause to devote such loyalty and respect from so many city folk, less than half the whole city is gathered in this one cathedral. However big an establishment may be, It cannot gather all of its people. That’s why the Provost of this estate has erected nine other cathedrals around the city. They were smaller, but nonetheless he’d made sure there were enough for everyone to take part, as they all indeed did.

✦⠀⠀⠀⠀ ✦⠀⠀⠀⠀ ✦

⠀⠀⠀⠀Up on the second floor, people were chatting away while waiting for the seminar to begin. Drinking and taking part of the delicious cuisine they sure were. Beautiful dresses, suits, hats, jewelry, etc… were being worn through the crowd pretty liberally. A VIP spot for sure compared to the people below, they had just arrived with their cold weather attire. These people up above were apparently there a while before their arrival.

⠀⠀⠀⠀A brown haired and modest looking man could be seen speaking to a blond haired and luxurious looking woman. The chatter seemed casual, they were both holding glasses of wine while the conversation took place.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Jenny, Do you think four would be enough at a time like this?” The man asked.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Well if he stopped treating them so nicely we might get more.” The woman replied in a joking type of way.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Yeah, well he’s compassionate you know.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀“I understand that Todd, but what if we could skip his steps and start baptizing right away. I mean honestly, I’d be better off running this program.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Her tone slightly shifted to a passive aggressive demeanor as she stared directly into his eyes, piercing him with her gaze.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Don’t you think it’s time for a change?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀The man took a second to look her in the eyes with a neutral look and replied.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“I think you might be right.” He said in a kind hearted way and raised his glass to her. She looked slightly flustered by the action but responded in kind and raised her own. Bringing them together for a semi loud clank. It seemed like they both reached an agreement and understanding on a matter.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Moments later a door opened pretty quickly next to the two, a young priest boy emerged from the other side. He seemed to be slightly exhausted or troubled in some sort of way. His facial expression said that something urgent needed addressing. His eyes were wide but he tried his best to get his composure under control.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Excuse my hurried tone and expression my lady, but the Provost wants to speak to you after his seminar.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀The lady seemed unconcerned about the situation. Her face seemed puzzled if anything, she wondered why her summoning was necessary but dismissed the thought and told the boy she would be there. She turned to her side and resumed her conversation with the gentleman as the seminar was commencing below them on the stage floor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The luxurious man from before with the beak mask was there with a book in his left hand. The whole room fell quiet as the man raised and opened the book. Moments later his distorted voice could be heard echoing throughout the hall. Distorted from the mask he was wearing, it sounded slightly inhuman but at the same time very familiar, heartwarming and soothing to the mind. Like nothing he said could ever disappoint you.

⠀⠀⠀⠀His seminar began.

~Hearing nothing but the bells. From a distance away, through a closed window. A woman holding her baby stands up to fixate her eyes on the holy domain. The baby’s cries wallow through her house as the ringing of the bells chimes faintly through the outside. She tends to her child, caressing and humming it a lullaby to sleep. Her eyes look outside, and ease up as the bells ring.~

⠀⠀⠀⠀The chamber wasn’t lit. Light couldn’t seep in from anywhere, all cracks and nicks were blocked. Until a creak could be heard and a blistering light peered in from the doorway. A pretty and well kept hand groped the door’s handle, slowly pushing it forward. Three girls emerged from the door and 3 boys soon followed suit. Dressed in all white, covering most of their bodies except the head and hairs were their robes. On the girls’ heads were diadems and the boys wore black roses on their breast pockets. Both teams occupied each side of the doorway and bowed slightly in unison. With a right hand on their heart and a left hand raised above their heads with the palm upwards, as if they were asking for a dance.

⠀⠀⠀⠀A clicking noise along with a couple footsteps could be heard from the other side of the doorway now. Three particular people soon had emerged through said path. The lavish gentleman with the beak mask, Jenny & Todd who were listening to his seminar from the second floor, all entered the room.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Jenny’s thoughts were pretty scrambled at this particular moment, she wasn’t aware of her summoning. She felt confident and portrayed a picture of herself in such a steed. Her posture whilst walking behind the beak masked man was perfect, and her stride spoke fervor of strength and pride. Her doubts were all drowned out by such phlegm and determination.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Todd’s feelings were as neutral as they could be, he felt he was at the right place at the right time. His duty is to keep order and he believed with his heart that he was doing the proper thing. He carried himself with a respectful nonchalant stride. His confidence wasn’t manufactured through steel and resolve but through reassurance and concrete belief in truth. As the three giants of stature filled the room, the two teams of boys and girls lifted their heads, put their arms to the sides, bowed again and left the room- again in unison. The door shut close, the room fell black again, nothing to be seen. As if it was magic, white light barged through the window. As if the moon was controlled to move to such a point. Wrong however, the provost had timed everything perfectly, the arrival to this room at this time so as to use the moonlight- being so as well. The beak masked man spoke first, as it always has been.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Jennifer Conwell, how is this term’s shipment coming along?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀The first sentence he spoke always had a startling effect, no matter how much they’ve listened to him before. The distortion of his voice from the mask triggers something within people’s reflexes to flinch. Jennifer’s stagger from his words faded soon after but the unease of being suddenly summoned slowly creeped up on her. Her being asked first had also made her slightly stutter her response. She wasn’t ready for it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Ye-s- Yes King sir, the shipment is ready for preparations.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Jennifer’s confidence was crumbling at the spot.

⠀⠀⠀⠀A clicking sound resumed, it came from the provost, Loyd King’s hand. He was flipping a lighter open and close. It was a slow tempo of clicks and clacks.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Todd Gryffin, what is this status report about?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀His question towards Todd sounded confused. Todd’s response breathed reassurance, his tone was clean and even.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Yes King sir, this particular status report is about insubordination”
⠀⠀⠀⠀Jennifer chuckled and shrugged with a sny reply.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Oh my, what kind of moron would dare?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀King raised his hand and plugged something into his beak mask. He held up the lighter at the peak of the mask and turned it on. A sizzling sound emerged and moments later a puff of smoke appeared out of the two filters on its side. The tempo of his lighter clicking started accelerating. He’s been speaking with his back to them this whole time, finally King turns to face his subordinates. His eyes were kind looking, whilst the bottom of his face was covered. One could probably make out that his intentions were of good demeanor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Conwell, why have you sought betrayal as an option?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀The smirk on Jennifer’s face disappeared. With a glance at Todd, her body felt numb. Todd was staring at her wide eyed. With a wink and a nod he raised his wine glass in her direction. She realized in that moment, the boy that gave her- her summons didn’t appear suddenly and out of nowhere after all. She turned her gaze back towards the Provost. Steeling her resolve she mustered up whatever courage she had left. With a strong inhale and a step forward she had spoken about what her contentions were.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Provost Loyd sir, I have not sought out betrayal as an option, my intentions were of pure regard.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Loyd’s lighter is clicking and clacking ever so faster.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“What regards might those be?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀“I simply believe that production could increase if we did not cater to the stock.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀The clicking stopped.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Loyd’s following exhale puffed out a lot of smoke through his mask filters. He’s been leaning against a desk up until now, though it was hard to see in that room they were in if not for the moonlight. Propping himself up, he took a following step forward towards Jennifer. The look of kindness in his eyes was never escaping. He didn’t project anger towards her at all, despite her treasonous claim. Jennifer being drowned out in his presence took a step back next to Todd.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Hypocrisy is the yoke of misdeeds and regretful actions and I shan't have it in my ranks.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Jennifer realized what that meant and knew the consequences. She had been on the opposite end of this many times before, when others were being punished. Sweating bullets, she felt the dread of her situation. She had been looking down at the floor unable to reply. Finally after a moment of reflection and disorientation she took a deep breath and looked up.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Understood sir, I shall take my punishment.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Loyd looks at her with a pitiful stare. He raised his head towards Todd and gave him the instructions.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Gryffin, give her the standard.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Yes sir.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Todd and Jennifer faced each other and he put a hand on the side of her neck. Jennifer’s eyes were filled with tears, unintentionally so she couldn’t help it. Her body was shaking badly, especially her legs. She knew exactly what “the standard” punishment was, and wasn’t exhilarated about being on the receiving end of it. Her chin was twitching with the sadness her expression was projecting. Distraught- yes she was.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Todd looked at her with the same neutral tone that never escaped his face. He’s been pretty indifferent to the situation throughout the whole time. With a swipe of his thumb on her cheek as the rest of his hand is still holding the side of her neck he asked “Jen, are you ready?”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Steeling herself as best she could, the only thing she could mutter was a “mhm” with a slight nod as a response.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Todd’s grip went behind her to support her neck as he had brought his other hand up. Up to her face- her eyes and stuck three of his fingers in. Pulling one of her eyes out. She was biting her tongue, not letting out a single scream and clenching her fists so hard her nails pierced her palms, bleeding them to the floor. Numb body is one of the worst feelings of dread one could experience, it fills it up with so much adrenaline it starts shaking beyond operation, ceasing to move at all, let alone being able to trigger a fight or flight response. Even if the body could, she simply wouldn’t because she’s here of her own free will. Regardless, she’s in the midst of a quasi-panic attack, so much so that she fell on her knees- yanking out the optic nerve from her eye that Todd was holding.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Her nerves had already been at a limit, the limit broke. Panicked as she was, she started balling out of control with both hands on her face. Screaming and wailing left and right, Jennifer was beyond the end of her rope. Pleading for it to stop, she leaped forward at Todd’s legs. Looking up at him she cried for him to discontinue the punishment. One eye leaked like a waterfall as she was crying so much. The socket of the other one spouted blood all over the right side of her face.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“I don’t take any pleasure in this Jen, please understand.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Loyd interjected with a slow and calm demeanor. He still looked at her with kind eyes. It must be indisputable that he did this out of necessity and not pleasure. With a jerk of her head, in a state of complete terror she looked at Loyd as he spoke to her. She wished for it to end above anything else. But her dreams would be shattered with Loyd’s next statement.

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Todd, please finish it quickly.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀“Yes sir.”

⠀⠀⠀⠀Jennifer’s heart must have skipped a couple beats at that exchange. She shivered in a pool of her own making. Wincing backwards like a stray puppy. Her voice cowering at the seams. Switching glances between Loyd and Todd she couldn’t focus. Todd put his hands on his thighs and pulled on them as he crouched down to meet Jennifer face to face. She felt the familiar hand on the back of her neck. Watching him with her one eye, he brought his other hand up again. Creeping forward to her field of vision and filling it up. Whimpering as she was, her despair was bottomless. He dug his fingers in and painted her sight black.

0