Plan of Remembrance (Arc 3 Chapter 5 Prelude)
209 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Steve couldn't believe just how badly the Q&A session had gone, one moment he was talking about how everything was under control, and then the next nearly all the reporters had a brand new thing to ask him.

He tried to get in touch with the game directors during the meeting, but they didn't pick up. He had no time to contact them afterwards either, heading right home and locking himself in. 

The TV was playing the latest news as he sat down, listening to the recap of the events that just transpired in his game, mixed with his own opinion

A news anchor on the screen cleared her throat "Five hours ago, the controversial game known as Reality Dive, responsible for the hospitalization of a few players, as well as psychological torment. Faced another incident related to the NPC known as Ultima. Across the entire planet of Larian, all players that were not hostile with his faction recieved honoray status as part of his own personal faction. Meaning he has now recruited hundreds of players in one fell swoop. According to our resident experts on the game, this is a first. There are NPCs who have hundreds of players technically in their faction, and Ultima's own Ark Organization is one of them. However, this sub-faction is technically Ultima's own, as some players have decided to declare. After the announcement, a new mission was given to every single eligable player.  This comes just during the promise of CEO Steve Harrison that Ultima would be removed very shortly for the game in the proceeding month, and during a patch. However it appears the NPC just isn't content to die. We will keep you updated as time goes on, and we are proud to inform you that one of our interns has decided to take the dive into a new reality, so check out our livestream linked below while he tries to talk to Ultima" she talked fast, covering the subject without any pausing. Once she finished and went back to other news the link to the stream stuck around.

Steve shut the TV off and groaned, rubbing his head. That damn NPC was just too, wild, this isn't how things should work. What was the system thinking? He couldn't stop it, but he would think more about all this later, once he was more rested. He stood up, adjusting his shirt before heading to bed, collapsing and passing out as soon as his head hit the pillow.


Lapis, Amber, and Seeker were all in a virtual chat room, Amber and Seeker both glaring at one another as usual. Lapis wasn't streaming for once, since this was technically a private meeting "Guys come on, we need to talk about Ultima's second quest now" he said, sighing.

Right after the notification that shocked the entire player base on Larian, a new quest was issued to every single 'honorary member' of the Lost Lights. They were all technically Ultima's allies now so they could receive quests from him, from the system. As three founders their mission varied slightly in wording, but it carried the same end goal and reward. 

Announcement
The Ultimate Project, Hidden NPC Quest 2
Mission: Evolve your shard of a legacy that you have received from the first mission by helping to memorialize Ultima before his passing. Making it so that everyone he has touched will be strengthened by him.  This can be done through works of art, tasks done in his honor, or more. As founders, you're expected to lead the frontlines to do this, to figure out how to best remember Ultima.
Reward: Evolution of 'Shard of a Legacy' into Legacy of a Project, and the associated ability of 'Enhanced Physique' which will push your stats higher faster and allow you to punch and fight above your weight class.
Failure: Should Ultima die before a sufficient way to remember him is made, the shard of a legacy will shatter, and be gone forever.
Notes: Alexander would jump at the chance to help create a way to be remembered, so long as he does not push himself too far, it will not speed the process of dying for him. Being forgotten is his deepest fear.

Lapis was at a loss as to what do with this mission. It was incredibly open ended, but that also worked against it. Alex needed to be remembered in a 'sufficient' way somehow.  Not only that but it needed to be completed before he died, which judging by the words of Steve at the posted Q&A he was already slated to die in what, a month? That wasn't a lot of time.

Seeker sighed and turned away from Amber "I don't know what we should do, I'm still dealing with the fact he's dying, I refuse to believe that CEO can just take his life like that" he says, clenching his fists.

Amber rolled her eyes "He's life like, but he's still an NPC, of course they'd take him out. After the damage he's done to people I think unless they wanted a lawsuit they have to remove him. Which maybe is why the system gave us this mission. It's one way to spite them you know?" she explained her own thoughts.

Seeker groaned "I hate that you're right. Well then Amber, any ideas in that thick skull of yours?" he asked, glaring at her. 

"As a matter of fact, yes, I do" Amber says, glaring back. "I say we make a new faction, not just the Amissa Lumina, but a faction for players specifically for us to honor him. The Ultima Guard or something like that" she says.

"That honestly just sounds like a plan to get more power and leverage over more players. Not a bad idea, but I don't think it'll do well" Lapis says, sighing "Anything else?" he asks, looking to Seeker.

Seeker was deep in thought "The Ultima Guard huh? What about, we do something not actually tangible in Reality Dive? I mean, if we make something it has the potential to get destroyed. A faction sounds like a good plan, but it doesn't carry much weight. What if, instead, we create something, record something to be remembered?" he says.

Amber blinked "Sounds surprisingly deep coming from you, humph. Well, something that will be recorded and remembered, outside of Reality Dive?"  She sighed and began to think as well. 

"You know, everyone can stream this game, sure you can link it to accounts, but everyone has the option to, and then they can be found on the forums" Lapis says. "I also know about all those news lackies logging on to try and talk to Ultima, which isn't easy to do right? Hear me out" he begins to explain something to them

Announcement
Sorry for not uploading for awhile, I was thinking of how to handle this, but I know how I will be doing it now. This serves as a prelude to the next chapter that will be uploaded. What is Lapis planning, how successful will it be, and how will poor Steve face the inevitable media tomorrow that are all watching and now beginning to stalk Ultima like a controversial celebrity? Have a good night or day, and thank you for reading this prelude
8