A World The Protagonist Doesn’t Know (Arc Zero, Chapter 1)
1.1k 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When you think of reincarnating into a game world, many people say yes, and why is this so? Normally it is because we know the world, and we then believe that we can game the system. Perhaps it however will be a monkey's paw, the world is changed due to us existing, the world is older than we know, or the world is simply different altogether when you're an actual person within it.

The point of extrapolating on this, is because I am currently in a game world I do not know. Well, not as well as I would like, haha, not in the damn slightest. My name is Alexander, or as my name now is Ultima! 

I suppose I don't remember dying, and I don't remember my last life all that much, but I know for a fact that this isn't my body nor is this my world. Let's begin with me talking about how I got here, why I'm talking to myself, saying things to try and process things.

I felt some softness beneath me, softer than even my bed, at first I didn't process anything, continuing to lie there with my eyes asleep, but despite this being as I normally did. I heard voices I didn't recognize, this sound caused my eyes to quickly open and stare directly at the source of the voices. This would be my first mistake of the day.

"He's awake!" a man dressed in a thick white coat yelled, loud enough to make my ears hurt, and it's then I also felt a splitting headache I didn't notice before in my resting state. He quickly came over to me and grabbed my head, holding my eyes open and shining a light in them to investigate something.

I flinched at the sudden and very rough contact, tensing, and that's when I realized that I was restrained. I open up my mouth, but proceeded to start coughing almost instantly, why was my tongue dry as a desert in the summer? Trying to open my mouth was my second mistake, as it turns out it wasn't just that simple dryness. I coughed out a splatter of red blood, which stained the coated man's clothing.

"Quickly! Bring him to the chamber! He's showing signs of recovering!" he yelled after seeing my coughing, and I was suddenly laying up, still strapped down like a mental patient as I was pushed out of the room. I could hear two other people behind me, discussing things, in my quickness to look at this man, a doctor I suppose, I forgot I heard more than one voice.

I couldn't talk, my head hurt so much it felt like someone decided to be funny and go ahead punching it for a dozen or so times. They talked about 'it' referring to me as such, it was alive, it was healing, it needed to be controlled now. It it it, I'm not an it, I wanted to scream, but I knew that attempt would end in my coughing up more blood from my dry throat.

A few minutes passed, we passed by many doors and those harsh lights kept shining down, although this place didn't feel warm. I thought of what it could be, hospital, mental facility, secret government facility? Turns out that last guess was sort of true by the way.

Finally I was brought into a room with a simple projector, sat down in front of it, and had my eyes forced open. I knew this sort of thing, I always believed I had a good will, but the next thing I saw made my blood run cold like snowy slush.

Announcement
The Ultima Project: Origin Story.
Mission: Survive Forced Hypnosis Trial (Estimated success rate of 00% with current stats).
Reward: None.
Failure: Under permanent mind-control of The Ark Organization (A lawful evil society, you will be unable to refuse orders or missions from them going forward).
Notes: Be happy, at least you're alive, unlike the other subjects.

Ah, my first mission, one that basically went 'Well howdy there buckaroo! Looks like you're in a real gosh darn pickle! Well lemme just tell ya how deep you are in the water! Oh yeah and be happy about your current predicament gosh darn it!' yes that really helps you stupid glass window!

In any case, it confirmed what was going on, I was being put under hypnosis to serve this organization. Those highlighted words didn't escape my notice though, I started by trying to say them in my head since I couldn't exactly talk. This only intensified my headache, as well as my watering eyes, but I tried to ignore the videos rapidly repeating in front of me, knowing what it was doing. Oh believe me, I didn't expect to actually defy it, no, it gave me a not chance of doing it. I was not some idiot who thought he could 'defy the odds' like that.

Announcement
The Ultima Project: An attempt to make a super soldier by The Ark Organization, done rather brutally by injecting a subject with a massive amount of different serums and enhancers, it has thus far had a 100% fatality rate with a dozen tests. Then you came along, you're THE Ultima Project, the only one who survived longer than 24 hours, and is now beginning to recover consciousness.
Announcement
The Ark Organization: While using the term organization, it is more like a nation, located in the western continent of Larian, a decently sized planet. It is also the 'evil' choice for players starting on this planet.

Another blue text, just reading this was hard, my eyes were pulled to the much more attracting moving images as sounds also assulated my ears. I was learning though, I could use this glossary, maybe I had a system, but that was for later. I struggled and called forth this last entry, but I felt defeated by it

Announcement
Larian: A starting planet for beginners in version 1.0

It was so damn simple, and yet it left me with more questions and no highlighted information to continue asking about. Not that I could, it felt like I was sick. The pictures moving in front of me were beginning to blur together, I had a distinct feeling something was off now about me.

Announcement

Status Gained: Hypnotized (Strong)

Unable to refuse orders of The Ark Organization, in the event of you being given a suicide order, there is a chance you may snap out of this status. You also harbor no ill will towards The Ark, or at least shouldn't. The system would like you to thank it for letting you keep your restricted will. The only way this status would ever be lifted is if someone cast a 'stabilize' spell on you (not possible on this planet), or if you underwent counter hypnosis.

There it was, proof I wasn't able to stop now from helping this so called evil organization. I relaxed, visibly, both because I felt defeated, and perhaps to stop the images now that it seemed I was under control. They slowed down and then disappeared.

The doctor came back into the room, now followed by two other people, two strong looking officers, at least they seemed to be by their outfits. One of them came up to me, he was a taller man than I, looked better than I did as well, well, better than I remember looking in my old body.

"You are now to be called by the designation Ultima! What I say is absolute! Got it!?" he yelled, great. I actually managed to groan, only to cough, but hey, no blood came out this time. So I was unable to grace his majesty with a response. The doctor came out and forcefully poured water down my throat, it tasted bitter, water shouldn't taste bitter. 

"I said, got it!?" he yelled once again, like he missed my response last time. My throat felt better, but my eyes still felt watery, dry, and my headache continued. I stared ahead "Command recognized" I said bluntly, and dryly.

He looked at the doctor after I spoke "What's with that response, is he a robot doc?" he asks, growling. The other officer who has since remained quiet also looked over. The doctor shrugged "He should be stripped of all emotion, aren't machines the most logical thing? Probably just makes the most sense to him right?" he tries to explain, but that sounded dumb. I also sensed an opportunity though, and spoke up again "Designation Ultima is machine, machine for the Ark, serving it and only it" I said, more words felt good to finally say, even if I was lying through my teeth.

The officer hummed and looked satisfied "Good, you know your place, I expect you to make good use of all the resources we put into you Ultima. Now, you may be at rest" I slowly drifted my eyes down once he gave that order, seeming out of it before closing my eyes and being 'at rest' as he ordered.

I was wheeled somewhere else, and when I opened my eyes again, here I was in a room with only a bed, and a very small desk that had nothing on it. It is a lot like a prison cell, isn't it? 

I started talking to complete another mission I got, one that is now completed, and it's rewards intrigue me.

Announcement
The Ultima Project: Origin Story 2.
Mission: Monologue about your current experiences (Estimated success rate of 100% with current stats).
Reward: Selection of class and access to menus.
Failure: Cannot fail.
Notes: Monologue Ultima.
30