No Sympathy Sparring (Arc Zero Chapter 5)
570 1 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ultima was once again up early, and even before breakfast arrived he was punching and kicking at the air. Over the course of the last three days Arron kept a close eye on him. Ultima knew this fact because of his relationship status, which had finally stopped growing just yesterday. 

Announcement
Relationships
Doctor Arron: Subject (85/100), you're his life's work Ultima, act like it. 
Officer Gareth: Trusted Soldier and Higher Up (0/100), he has placed his full trust in you after seeing your abilities, and since you can't refuse orders. Don't mess that up.
The Ark Organization: Enslaved Soldier (20/100), they know now that you have good potential, of course they still don't care about your wellbeing beyond you being well.

The doctor's relationship grew at a fast pace just from  watching him practicing, but it finally teetered off and stopped increasing. It no longer went up when he practiced his fighting skills. As to be expected, he managed to increase his stats a little as well in doing this, but it was only slightly even with his enhanced physique skill.

Announcement
Alexander "Ultima"
Class: Ultima
Skills: Enhanced Physique, Broken Mind
Abilities: Ultimate Limit Release
Statuses: Hypnotized (Strong)
Stats follow below
Strength: 11 (10)
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 12
Wisdom: 8
Luck: 0
Notes: All around average, stats of ten are considered the average, so you're slightly above average in endurance. As an effect of your regime, you've earned a temporary +1 to your strength, continue your training to make this a permanent increase. You're currently hypnotized, which has dropped your wisdom down just a bit, rendering you worse off against charming or hypnotism. Your luck is zero, but luck can go into the negatives, this just means your luck is nothing. Still a good thing really.

Even with the increase his skill brought, which was vague purposefully, it still only resulted in strength increasing. He understood though, before this point he'd never worked out all that much, the mere fact he could see even a temporary increase in his strength meant he was growing fast. While he was unsure of specifics, he knew a person didn't go from lifting one hundred pounds to lifting one hundred and fifty just like that, it took time and repeated effort. Meanwhile, he did that sort of increase just from exercise with no equipment, and from the sounds of it it wasn't long off before this became a permanent increase in his power rather than just a temporary one from having a routine. 

He finished up his second hour of practice when the door to his room opened. He moved from an outstretched fist to standing straight and at attention, attempting to suppress his heavy breathing as he turns to face whoever entered. 

Arron watched as Ultima whipped around to stare at him, and saw how he was trying to stay collected "You can, breath hard Ultima" he says, which results in the subject taking a needed deep breath. He sighed "Well, um, I've noticed that the past three days you've been practicing very hard. Despite the fact you have no equipment and, weren't ordered to, how come?" he asked.

"Question is why I am practicing despite no command, I am practicing in order to better serve The Ark Organization, am I not allowed to do so?" he asked, his tone flat as if he didn't care in the slightest if he said no or not.

Arron however felt like Ultima secretly, or perhaps vaguely felt some sort of satisfaction from training no matter what "No, you're fully allowed to train as much as you want. In fact, is there anything you'd like to request to help your training along?" he offered.

Ultima suppressed a smirk as the doctor said the exact right thing, his cloudy and dull eyes watching the doctor and thinking "...If I may request something, I would like to practice with others"  he asked flatly.

Arron seemed a bit surprised "Well, that can be arranged, I expected you to just ask for equipment or something. Why would you like to practice with others though?" he asked, while tilting his head.

Ultima stared at the doctor before he answered "Question is why I want to practice with others, when I can also practice alone? Others being around means there is more things to observe, more observations lead to a quicker increase in skill rather than power. Power can always be raised while skill requires specific training and observation" he said, while slowly beginning to stop panting at all.

Arron thought about this deduction from a logical standpoint, it sounded fine, and like the sort of thing someone could come to a conclusion too. He cleared his throat "Alright then, my questions are answered. I will see right away if you can join a group of other, non subject soldiers for training then" he said before leaving. 

Ultima stood still for a moment, his eyes flicking to the camera before he turned and sat down on his bed to finally untense his muscles. It went smoothly, which was good. He only needed now to wait for approval. It was likely with him becoming involved that those soldiers would be affected by his joining, since he was a secretive project. They may be selected based on results or sign up for additional and unusual training. In any case, the time would come soon when he could complete the mission depending on how many were chosen.

Arron swiftly filled out a request form, something he was familiar with doing by this point. He wrote down Ultima's request as his own for the subject to be given an opportunity to interact with non higher ups to gauge his social skills, and be given a chance to spice up his exercise routine to encourage his continued growth. Despite the fact that Ultima needed no encouragement at all, just an order to follow, or the idea that what he was doing would help The Ark Organization.

Two days later, after review from the higher ups and selecting a group of fourteen people, with Ultima bringing it up to fifteen. Officer Gareth was put in charge of a group of soldiers who preformed well, signed forms to not leak what they saw, and were outstandingly loyal to the state. It was the first day they were to be doing drills with him, but they all waited around in lines of five and one of four while their superior waited at the end of the matted room, having said that the last person would be arriving soon.

Ultima was taken out of his room right after breakfast, following his usual escorts while asking no questions as per usual. Eleven days remained on his countdown, and he had yet to increase the quota at all since receiving the fourth mission. He recognized the route they took as the same one he took to spar with Gareth, but he quelled his surprise when he quietly entered the room and saw everyone lined up. Gareth waved over at him "Come here!" he ordered, and the silent soldier strode over, not caring as he walked between the lines of other people. He stood in front of Gareth with his head down, not looking at him. "You may look at me Ultima, welcome to your new unit, I want you to introduce yourself to everyone" he commanded. 

Ultima looked at him before turning to the fourteen others who were lined up, beginning to speak in a loud but ultimately emotionless boom "I am Ultima! Loyal soldier to The Ark Organization!" he said, not moving an inch of his face. His mind hurt while he took in every possible thing about his new unit. All male, they varied in height and weight, but none were overweight or shorter than him. In fact all of them were taller than him. There were also three that exhibited signs they were nervous, two that were confused by him, and the rest were interested more than confused. 

Ultima stood tall and firm while he waited for his next order "Finish the four person row and make it a five" he said, which made the soldier move over and stand in place, standing quietly with his hands at his sides and his eyes staring straight through everyone else to watch Gareth.

"Please turn to your sides and get ready to spar with the person on it. Ultima! You are to try hard but not go all out against your fellow soldiers, understood?" He ordered as everyone began to get ready. Most were confused by what they were about to do, sparring wasn't a typical exercise. Ultima nodded, looking to his partner, who was the most confused and perhaps even a little concerned "Command Recognized" he says flatly while adopting his usual stance. 

"You may begin when ready" He says, and watches as Ultima moves nearly as soon as he finishes talking, jabbing his partner in his stomach while he's distracted and listening for orders. Ultima listens as he receives a ding right after hitting the man, who wasn't ready to be socked. 

Announcement
The Ultima Project: Origin Story 4
Mission: While you're a subject and expensive project of The Ark Organization, that doesn't mean you should remain a secret. Interact with at least 20 people and leave a lasting impression on them, negative or good. Do this before the launch of The Server for additional rewards.
Rewards: Instant rank up of The Ark Organization relationship, and ???. Relationship related rewards are subject to change based on action taken to complete the mission.
Failure: Cannot fail mission, beyond dying, so don't die
Notes: Exist Ultima
Quota Currently: 9/20

The other soldier coughs after being punched, backing up while everyone else had their eyes on him. He touches his stomach and shudders "That, was sudden, does this mean we a-" he's punched with a vicious right hook, to the lower jaw, causing him to stumble and fall.

"We are starting, you're keeping yourself open. You should have been on guard after my first attack" Ultima says blandly, like he was bored by this. Gareth was surprised that not going all out still meant taking pot shots and interrupting his opponent. Then again, Ultima didn't have any form of sympathy, just a form of loyalty towards The Ark Organization.

The other soldier slowly got back up, rubbing his jaw while closely watching Ultima "Okay man, fair enough, but you could've at least said something. Like, dodge this, or say something! This is just a spar, are you looking to knock me out?" he asked, his jaw aching.

Ultima watched him, not gracing him with a response while staying in his usual stance. Everyone was now watching the silent soldier, and he heard more dings as the number slowly climbed up with people starting to take him in and have an impression of him. It was an indirect interaction, but he was still having one.

"Continue your fighting now! Stop gawking! Ultima, I want you to let Jackson attack you a few times, you may defend and dodge, but no counterattacking" he ordered. He was surprised when Ultima moved from his normal defensive posture into a relaxed state, hands down by his sides "Understood, command recognized" he said while looking at the new relationship that popped up.

Announcement
New Relationship
Soldier Jackson: Punching Bag (-20/100), good job on deciding to sock your fellow soldier. Twice.

The first relationship that was going into the negatives, interesting, he knew the mission was now complete, which was good. However he would wait for that to be turned in once he wasn't in a fight. Jackson when ready threw a punch at him, and he calmly stepped out of the way of it. He was focused on him now, causing him to recognize when he moved. Even with average dexterity it was still enough time to dodge the attacks. If Jackson focused he may be able to actually trip him up, but it was clear he was a little too angry to focus on the fight beyond punching him.

Ultima felt sort of annoyed when he heard a buzzing sound, which turned out to be his relationship continuing to fall every time he dodged one of Jackson's attacks. He also found it sort of funny though. It finally stopped at -50/100 and Jackson was panting, worn out after trying to attack Ultima for several minutes. Everyone else was at least fighting together, but Jackson's fighting practice was just him punching at air while his 'partner' did nothing but stare at him.

The small session soon ended, and Gareth dismissed him first to be escorted back to his room. When he arrived back he did his usual habit of ten laps around the room before eating his lunch, and finally sitting at his desk. The mission was complete, and it was time to turn it in.

Announcement
The Ultima Project: Origin Story 4
Mission: While you're a subject and expensive project of The Ark Organization, that doesn't mean you should remain a secret. Interact with at least 20 people and leave a lasting impression on them, negative or good. Do this before the launch of The Server for additional rewards.
Rewards: Instant rank up of The Ark Organization relationship, and ???. Relationship related rewards are subject to change based on action taken to complete the mission.
Failure: Cannot fail mission, beyond dying, so don't die
Notes: Exist Ultima
Quota Currently: 22/20
28