Ruthless Showoff (Arc One, Chapter 2)
574 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Doctor Arron had spent the last week, an entire week, searching personally through all the records of soldiers employed by The Ark Organization. Searching for someone that could give Ultima a challenge, but beyond getting a high ranking officer to fight him, which was not possible since his existence was still considered classified to anyone not directly related to the project. There seemed to only be Gareth who could match him physically when he went all out, which he had observed always seemed to lighten his mood after he did it, despite showing no emotion.

Not long after Ultima talked to him, invoking those vibrant eyes and rage filled stare, he began to work out again, and even seemed to be more into it than before. Not just punching and kicking, but even incorporating dodging and flips into his routine. It seemed extremely tiring, but in his dull and neutral fashion, he did it all without saying a word or showing an expression.

So far, the record between Gareth and Ultima was all draws, and he also found out about his limit because of that. The first time it happened he suddenly missed an attack, but rather than readjust immediately or even roll out, he slowed down and then froze for a moment while his eyes clouded again. It turned out he could only go all out for one minute, before he couldn't sustain the power anymore and usually ended up collapsing. Because of this, while all the fights were draws, it was safe to say they were all Gareth's wins cause he always outlasted him. Maybe this was Ultima's reason for practicing so hard.

It was another quiet morning as Arron  poured over folders full of biographies to try and select someone, when he felt a shiver down his spine. He looked around the empty monitoring room, the others weren't there yet. He turns to the camera in Ultima's room and notices that he has stopped in his exercise to stare directly at it in the corner. After watching the display for a minute and seeing how the soldier didn't move away from looking, he stood up and decided to head down to his room. He had a feeling Ultima was trying to say something to him, as Ultima said before, he somehow knew or believed that Arron was the only one here in the morning.


Ultima finally received a notification about his status, which prompted him to turn and stare at the camera. He realized that the server was inching closer and closer and he had yet to make any headway in his plan of being in a better position to run into players. So he had to take drastic action and directly try and force himself forward. He waited and continued staring at the camera while checking the notification over again, he was glad about it but also annoyed.

Announcement
Alexander "Ultima"
Class: Ultima 2
Skills: Enhanced Physique, Broken Mind
Abilities: Ultimate Limit Release, Weapon of Heart, Shockwave Impact
Statuses: Hypnotized (Strong)
Stats follow below
Strength: 11 
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 12
Wisdom: 8
Luck: 0
Notes: All around average, stats of ten are considered the average, so you're slightly above average in endurance. As an effect of your regime, you've just earned a permanent +1 to your strength. You're currently hypnotized, which has dropped your wisdom down just a bit, rendering you worse off against charming or hypnotism. Your luck is still zero, which is rather strange to think about. It's time for you to focus on other things, stats are not all raised the same way. It will be awhile before you see an increase again from strength, so you should focus on something else. Your best bet would be to increase Wisdom, which may eventually allow you to break your hypnosis. It will be harder to raise under your current condition, but there are several ways to raise it. Wisdom and Intelligence are both raised through mental work, Intelligence could be raised through learning a new subject and training it, Wisdom however is trickier as it is your own ability to teach others and impart your own thoughts. Which is why it is a direct counter to charming and hypnosis.

According to the now longer and changed notes, he had finally raised a stat by one point, only to be told he now needed to change what he raised. This of course made sense but he still didn't like it. He also had no plans at this point to leave The Ark Organization, evil faction or not, his closest companion currently was Doctor Arron, and the only person who could match him in fighting skill was Officer Gareth. It would be stupid to cast them aside. It was a good point though, raising Wisdom may eventually let him break the hold The Ark Organization had on him.

With this in mind, and how the notes described the stat of Wisdom to him. He had to move his plan from after the server launch, to being before it, and letting it be the reason players found him. Deep in thought and still staring at the camera, the door handle moved and he turned to face it, standing straight up and tensed.

Arron walked inside and saw Ultima already staring at him, he took a deep breath "Ultima? Something bothering you?" he asked, and not a second later also added to that "You may relax" he ordered.

Ultima untensed and moved to his bed, sitting down and looking at the doctor with his dull eyes "How goes the search for people who can be my match?" he asks, speaking flatly.

Arron sighs "Not good Ultima, it's difficult, you're a secret and anyone who comes into contact with you needs to be approved by the higher ups and be moved to my project team. Anyone who would be your match is as powerful as Officer Gareth, and they can't just be transferred like that" he explained to him.

Ultima made no moves to say anything more, continuing to stare at him. He didn't talk or move at all as his clouded eyes stared at him, and kept staring, like they were trying to probe Arron's gaze for more information.

Arron shuddered "Um, do you have an idea Ultima?" he asked, seeing how intensely he was being stared at by the blank faced soldier.

"I have a minor idea yes, if there is no one who can match me. Why not make more of me?" he asked, and before Arron talked he continued "Not meaning in the way of creating more like myself, I mean, why not train people to surpass or equal me?" he explained.

Arron paused "You, could do that you think? In your state? I mean, unless you mean, training them when you're going all out. However I, I don't think that's a good idea since it lasts for so little time" he said, expressing doubts 

Ultima nodded "I could do it, I only need to be given permission to command and train a group of soldiers. Perhaps the group I trained with that one time" he said with a straight face.

Arron thought about it "If, you think you can actually train someone, then, alright. I don't think it will lead to much benefit on your part" Arron expressed his thoughts, from a scientific perspective he was interested in how Ultima would be as an instructor. He left the room, and just as he did Ultima stood back up and continued training. Three days were all that remained of that countdown, and he had so little time to put himself in a position to find Players. He still understood nothing about how this game would work, if they would spawn in this seemingly sprawling base, outside just around the continent, or what.

One day was all it took for Arron to both propose and get the higher ups to approve the idea of Ultima training his previously introduced sparring group. It was the hopes of the higher ups that he could successfully impart some of his strange power to them without requiring all the drugs and enhancements that was needed to make him.

On that day Ultima was informed by Arron right in the morning, as the doctor brought breakfast for him. He did nothing but flatly muttered "Command recognized doctor" as he finished his food and stood up to be escorted to the usual training area.

Jackson huffed as he lined up again in his own line of four, standing at attention. It had been awhile since he transferred to this new unit, and the weird guy only showed up once. He was told he'd be helping to train his fellow elites, he assumed this was a type of thing you couldn't get out of. Yet Ultima only showed up once and then never again, it couldn't be that easy, unless he got taken out for some reason, or died. Yet as he was ruminating on this, Ultima himself walked into the room with his escorts from before. He walked right up to Gareth and turned to face the group while standing alongside his commanding officer. 

Ultima had witnessed Gareth's relationship rise with every battle they had. Now that showed, as even if he hadn't yet ranked it up again, sitting at 70/100 for every draw they had in the past week and a day. Gareth didn't bat an eye or move him away from standing his eye, and not just because of the purpose of today's session.

Gareth cleared his throat before speaking loudly "Everyone! Today you will all be practicing according to Ultima's instructions, his orders are absolute. Ultima, you may begin at your leisure" he said, stepping back from him. A few moments passed, the entire room in silence.

Ultima gauged the reactions of everyone in the room, many were shocked, some curious, no more nervous people it seemed. Every man here had been training for awhile and was no longer as nervous, this was a bad thing to him, and meant they had grown complacent, believing that the worst parts were over for their sparring and training. He also suppressed a smirk as he heard a sharp buzz, and got a notification that Jackson's relationship went down by ten again. It seemed he didn't like the fact he now had to listen to him.

Jackson shook behind his fellow soldiers, who all watched with curiosity as this weird and violent guy took center stage. It made him angry and filled with envy, he showed up once, punched him twice, dodged all his attacks, and now he had to listen to him? He glared at him, deciding already to do something he'd soon regret.

"All of you, listen closely. It seems many of you are comfortable right now" Ultima begins talking, speaking flatly. "I can observe all of you are untensed, more curious than anything about current events, this is alright for when you're practicing under Gareth. However, my training will not be so easy" his voice was loud enough to carry. His words sent a wave of dread through the soldiers "Eyes forward, feet together, back straight, hands at your sides. I don't want anyone to be out of place" he spoke and everyone quickly tensed up and did it, all except one. One, stubborn, and possibly stupid person. Exactly who he suspected would be opposed to him ordering them all around.

He walked down the aisle of all four lines, but when he reached the end of the last one he stared at Jackson, who had his arms crossed and was glaring at him. "Jackson, get into position now" he orders blandly, sounding like this was a waste of his voice. 

Jackson only intensified his glare, was he challenging him "I'm not listening to you. With all respect Officer Gareth, this guy is a coward who relies on cheap shots and dodging. I don't think he's fit to order any of us" he said. Jackson's words made everyone even more tense, and Gareth looked at the blank Ultima who stared at Jackson. "Ultima!" he yells "You are allowed to punish those who won't listen to your words, but you are not allowed under any circumstance to cause lasting injury!" he ordered.

Jackson continued glaring, but quickly got on guard, watching him. Ultima meanwhile lowered his head, and took a deep breath. He froze for a moment, before he looks back up with his eyes changed from cloudiness to vibrant shining rainbow.

"Jackson! You are disobeying me! Therefore I will make a fine example out of your damn bruised body! At attention!" Ultima suddenly burst out yelling, and his voice was even louder than Gareth's was. It carried a sense of pure primal rage that made everyone who heard it and wasn't used to it feel compelled to not piss him off further. Jackson shook but stood firm, even as his relationship plummeted from being yelled at. It just needed one final push to go down a level.

Ultima watched when he stood firm even in the wake of his outburst, and all Gareth said was he wasn't allowed to cause lasting injury, likely referring to physical injury. Therefore he felt as if he was still following orders when he raised a hand and punched forward "Shockwave Impact!" he yells. Just because he could use it in a normal state didn't mean he couldn't use it when he released.

Gareth had never heard Ultima announce his attack like that before. Jackson raised a hand to block the sudden punch, in fact he blocked with both hands. There was a sudden crack in the air as the fist stopped a mere centimeter from the hands, having moved so fast once it started that it was nearly a blur. A strong wind blew past Jackson's hands and hit him in the face, knocking him down to the mat. Jackson shuddered as he raised a hand to his cheek, flinching when he touched it. 

Ultima heard that annoying buzzer one more time and received that notification he was hoping to see for study. Jackson slowly got up and moved in line with the rest. He allowed himself to relax and moved back to the front. Everyone, including Gareth, was in shock at that display, which was good. Be shocked, and break your word to talk about him to those who would soon be coming.

It was at this point that he opened his notification, and a smile came closer than ever to crossing his lips

Announcement
Relationship Notice
Your relationship to Solider Jackson has leveled down: He now considers you 'The Monster of The Ark' and to coincide with this, you've been awarded a title for hurting another living being in a dramatic way for nothing more than your own amusement, to show your superiority, or simply for curiosity's sake. 'Ruthless Showoff' can be shown when a player scans you, and they will see a recording of the moment you received it.
20