Oath to Serve (Arc One, Chapter 7)
482 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Ark Organization spent an entire day dealing with Light-Forms appearing all around HQ, they were quickly captured or killed, though some also decided to escape. It wasn't until late in the day that they received word from spies that same was happening to all the other nations in the world, even the smallest ones. However it wasn't nearly as much as them, and they decided to capitalize on this. Arron took Ultima's suggestion and the Project Light-form was changed to training them into soldiers, many of them seemed happy to not do 'boring experiments' as they put it. 

Death Seeker was happy as he was recaptured by The Ark Organization, and because he wasn't reported about, with everything going on, he was brought back to HQ. The sleek cell was somewhat interesting to him, he felt pumped up, so when he received a mission to attend training he gladly went to it. 

Ultima stood beside Gareth, his special unit stood behind them both, Gareth didn't tell him to stand with the others as players came in. This was the third group this morning, they trained fifty at a time, and were expected to have trained all three thousand fifty that opted to attend training by moonrise. He found this already tiring and boring but didn't speak, it was just basic training.

Everyone lined up fine, and Gareth began to give the spiel again, talking about how their unique abilities have given them the chance to improve themselves and become loyal soldiers of The Ark Organization. He observed that very few actually seemed excited as he talked, most were bored and waiting for the mission. 

Ultima scanned the entire room, and his eyes settled on one person in particular, a man with black hair and dark brown eyes. He was tall but weak and skinny looking. His neutral face stared at him, before there was a sudden sound as his eyes begin to change, his foot digging into the ground.

Gareth froze and looked over at Ultima, watching his eyes change "Ultima, what are you doing?" he asked, trying to remain calm as he started getting heated right next to him. All the players of course saw this, observing his eyes change color "One of these people is the one who tried to attack us last night, I will not forgive him" he says firmly, growling. Gareth looked around "Are you sure?" he asked, prompting the soldier to nod.

Death Seeker froze as he heard Ultima's words, and quickly thought about it. He stepped out of line and ran up, kneeling down in front of the two when he arrived. Ignoring that all the other soldiers took out their pistols. "It was me! I'm sorry for planning to attack you! Please forgive me Ultima!" he said loudly. The players watched this curiously, and began to record and post about it while they did so.

Ultima stared down at him, putting a foot on his head and pressing down on it. Although Death Seeker didn't feel any pain besides a tingle, it still served to make him hold his breath in suspense. A mission suddenly appeared in his limited vision, and as he quickly read it, he realized what to do next.

Announcement
Ultimate Proof
Mission: Prove your forgiveness to Ultima, swear your allegiance on your life and allow him to kill you again to prove it.
Reward: Establish a new relationship with Ultima as Debtor and Creditor.
Failure: Unfixable relationship with Hidden NPC Ultima.
Notes: This is your only chance.

Death Seeker gulped, this was extremely restrictive, but if it was what it took to engage with Ultima "Fine! I, I swear allegiance to you Ultima, in fact, my unending life is yours to do with as you wish!" he said loudly to everyone who could hear. Ultima listened to his words and growled "That so? Repent a little more, and we will talk later" he said.

It was the first time he had even tested the ability, but a rainbow blade formed on his hand, Gareth stepped back as he did so, but didn't ask a question. Rather than forming a full weapon like the ability described and probably expected to do, he formed a blade that was attached to his wrist. He slammed his fist down, and there was the sound of a loud slash. There was no blood, and no wound as he began to calm down and the blade slowly unformed. 

Death Seeker felt numb, not because he felt pain, but because he felt happy, the mission dinged as it completed, and a new relationship appeared between him and Ultima. His body faded into shining light, and he logged out while waiting out the penalty. He laughed and went to get a drink, smiling. It was already all over the Larian Ark Organization forms, and slowly spreading. He began to text his teammates, who were all shocked at the thing they just witnessed him do.

Gareth slowly got close to Ultima, patting his back "Better?" he asked, he wasn't sure what the hell he just did, but he would report it to Arron. He looked back at the others in the unit "Not a word about what just happened leaves this room, got it? That goes for all you Lightforms too!" he says loudly. Everyone snaps to attention and listens to him.

Ultima slowly relaxed, that was a pretty good show, he wished he could see the player forums, but it didn't matter to him all that much, the fact they were staring off into space while everything happened was noticed by him. He knew it was slowly spreading, and that made two players he had a relationship with. Both of them were neutral, and to do with them repenting for their sins in someway, rather fitting of his lawful neutral alignment he thinks.

He began to think about going forward, two may be enough for companions. He wanted trusted players who he could slowly form a strange bond with, it was a nice start that they both wanted his approval. The mission menu mentioned fame though, so it seems he needed to become more famous to give better missions, or to give missions to more people? If that was the case, there was only one choice, and it was one he had thought about before. The issue was it would be near impossible to tell that specific type of person apart from everyone else. He needed a video maker, or a streamer. His best bet would simply be to pay attention to the players for them talking about anyone, or maybe he could even give a mission out with smaller rewards to find a player who was well known, and hope that gave him results. 

Training progressed as normal, and it continued on throughout the entire day, forty five minutes for every single group, and stopping only for a heavy lunch. He remained by Gareth, and about halfway through the fifth session, Death Seeker reappeared right where he died. Ultima for now gave him a mission to wait, for missions, from him. He realized how stupid that sounded, but it was his best idea for the time being. He was still thinking about how to find a video making player, it was so specific and weird it's not like he could just ask a player or give a mission for it.

It was finally time for him to return to his room, and he walked there, passing by a number of players who were running around under the observation of a soldier or two, preforming tasks now. He was thinking too hard, giving himself a headache, and for once, he wasn't being observant. He was stopped as there was the sound of someone falling down in front of him. He was surprised by the person who was sitting on the ground, slowly getting back up. His confusion mainly stemmed from the fact this person was shorter, than him. He was short as hell, but this person was shorter than that, maybe about four foot seven inches. 

Ultima stared at them, they were dressed in plain clothes, like all the players who freshly spawned, only they had ripped one of the sleeves clearly and used it as a mask to cover their lower face. They had white hair and red eyes, and despite their small size, they weren't weak looking. Skinny, but noticeable muscle tone and judging from their posture, they were a frequent runner. 

The person stared ahead for a little bit, and he knew they probably got the mission from bumping into him. He would for sure remember this type of person. "Ultima? Hello! My name is Lapis!" they say. He couldn't tell if they were a boy or a girl, not because it was ambiguous, but because their voice was processed and almost autotuned. He stared at them, and continued too for a long time. Eventually Ultima stepped around them and started to walk again.

"Oh, well, um, yeah that was Ultima. He's as distant as everyone says, as I was saying guys" he starts to walk and talk. Ultima freezes and looks at him as he begins to talk to himself, and he notices a few players look and greet him, like they were familiar with him. He slowly opened his status while walking back to his room.

Announcement
Alexander "Ultima"
Class: Ultima 2
Skills: Enhanced Physique, Broken Mind
Abilities: Ultimate Limit Release, Weapon of Heart, Shockwave Impact
Statuses: Hypnotized (Strong)
Stats follow below
Strength: 11 (10)
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 12
Wisdom: 8
Luck: 0
Notes: Alexander "Ultima"
Class: Ultima 2
Skills: Enhanced Physique, Broken Mind
Abilities: Ultimate Limit Release, Weapon of Heart, Shockwave Impact
Statuses: Hypnotized (Strong)
Stats follow below
Strength: 11 
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 12
Wisdom: 8
Luck: 0
Notes: All around average, stats of ten are considered the average, so you're slightly above average in endurance. As an effect of your regime, you've earned a permanent +1 to your strength. You're currently hypnotized, which has dropped your wisdom down just a bit, rendering you worse off against charming or hypnotism. No comment on luck.

No comment on luck huh? Even the system sounded confused by the fact his luck was still, just zero, would he find an artifact if he just raised it by one or something? He arrived back at his room and sat down, if that person was a streamer, well, they were for sure recognizable weren't they? He slowly laid down without doing any exercise, staring at the ceiling as he tried to form a plan. They, seemed like a fan, a fan would be good wouldn't they? His biggest question was why they were a fan. He was just well known in The Ark Organization, and was pretty much just known as the ruthless and distant NPC beside Gareth, so he believed at least.

Lapis Lazuli was a streamer, and one who was known for their bizarre avatars and voice. He hummed as he talked to chat, which manifested itself in the bottom left corner of his eyes. NPCs looked at him funny, and were confused by him, but he didn't care cause that just meant his avatar worked for catching attention. 

"Alright guys, I gotta go eat dinner, I'll be back later K?" he says, logging off. He removes the NCNCS from his head, taking off the voice changing module. He takes a second to get used to his height before sighing, he was still living with his family, and his GC Console was actually because he made enough money from streaming to buy it. It took even more time to get the NCNCS, and a fitting voice changer, but it didn't matter. The teen sits down with his family and began to eat, talking to them. 

He scrolled through his chat, it didn't die out when he went to eat, never really did. He wasn't going to tell them he was looking at it though, it was just a mess of messages and memes. He rolls his eyes and opens up the forums while talking "I ran into Ultima" he says, talking to his sister. His sister enjoyed his streams and smiled, having been told who Ultima was "Oh wow, didja get his autograph?" she teased, chuckling. "Nope, didn't even talk to me after I ran into him, don't think he even flinched" he sighs. He wanted to get closer to Ultima, because he wanted to do something engaging. It may've been a mistake to open up his faction and starting location to a poll, especially one that he let anyone vote for. It was too late to change now though.

21