Amber and Death (Arc One, Chapter 5)
501 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A teenager grumbled as he stood up, detaching the NCNCS from his head carefully and then stepping out of the GC Console. It was a massive pod, with a sleek sliding door. It required it's own outlet and for most other electronics in the house to be turned off just to work. He brushed his black hair aside and headed into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water and some chips. He sat down at the chair and took out his phone, opening and logging into the player forums for Reality Dive.

This teenager was the player known as Death Seeker, and he just got killed by that hidden NPC and was hit with an hour long revival penalty. On the forum many other players were enjoying posting screenshots of more exotic locations and creatures than the humans of Larian. He questioned why he chose the place at all, oh right, it was because his guild decided on it. He was proud of his guild, and rather unsurprisingly they were called The Seekers, they were a group of coders, hackers, and speedrunners who banded together under him in the name of finding all the secrets and choice in games. In a massive and ground-breaking open VR sandbox like Reality Dive, this goal changed to them deciding to make themselves more known.

His dark brown eyes scanned as he opened up the Larian posts, and he opened up a picture labeled 'OMG! Hidden NPC has a viewable ALIGNMENT!?' it was eye catching and posted by Amber Gem, the same girl who basically completed the first mission for everyone. He didn't like her, or her guild for that matter. He look at the information in the picture, which showed her standing in front of Ultima while Gareth met with her. In the picture Ultima looked like he just got back out of bed but still remained perfectly neutral and dull with his expression. In Amber's Vision was a nice big window displaying so little, but it said enough.

Announcement
Ultima
Alignment: Lawful Neutral, Ultima is a lawful neutral character who expects order to be followed, regardless of what is to be done. This may be due to his control by The Ark Organization, but the one thing he likes and has always admired are people who do good for no reason. He greatly believes in companionship, meaning an attack against his friends is one on himself. 
Class: Ultima Level 2
Skills: ???
Abilities: ???
Statuses: Hypnotized (Strong)
You cannot view this person's stats
Notes: Nothing to note, other than that he could kill you if he wanted.

He slowly stood up, tossing the finished water bottle away along with the chip bag, after reading the alignment another three times he texted everyone from group "Who has seen Ultima, and his alignment?" He asked, everyone had seen his alignment, but in the name of uncovering secrets they all didn't pick The Ark Organization. So not everyone had actually seen him and gotten the mission in person.

One person by the name of Treasure Seeker messaged him "Boss, didn't you die because you pissed him off? Just let other people handle it" he said. Death Seeker normally would've agreed to this, but the more he thought about his mistake the angrier he got "No, I'll do it, I don't want anyone else to engage with Ultima. I know what I saw, it says his relationship to me is now fixed at 'Biting Gnat' and that I failed the mission. What does that mean though? This is a world where we can do anything, be anyone, use magic if the planet has it, and do so much more depending on what NPC we train other right? I will be the first one to get the Ultima class from him! Mark my words, and I'll do whatever it takes" he texted boldly, feeling more heated the more he typed.

Everyone in the chat room was quiet for a little bit, until another member by the name of Thrill Seeker messaged "Think about it boss, you've got time to process what you just said. Take the rest of the night off, things have...just gotten insane here. Did you not notice the time? People have started reviving and the NPCs are freaking out. You better lie low, and gone" he finished and explained.

Death seeker sighed "Fine, alright, I'll lie low and just log on tomorrow, but I'm not budging on this!" he said, before closing the chat and heading up to his bedroom. He would be the first one, he would mend his relationship with the hidden NPC!


In the world of Reality Dive, Ultima was dragged back out of his room to accompany Gareth as he spoke to the supposed 'leader' of the teleported humans. Or at least the one who spoke up first, Amber Gem, or as she just said, Amber. Amber chose to keep the second part of her name hidden, because at least then it sounded kind of normal. He listened as she lied through her teeth again and again, sticking to the story she didn't know what was going on, talking about her home life and how she woke up here. However when asked where she came from she evaded the question, and that made Gareth more angry as time went on.

Ultima was just about to try and speak up without breaking his guise, planning to propose an idea, when a scientist crashed into the room "Officer Gareth! The, the people we shot! They're back!" he said, yelling loudly. Ultima felt his head ache as he took in how sweaty and crazed the scientist look.

Gareth looked to the unnamed Scientist "Back? What do you mean by they're back? Did it finally happen, are we seeing a zombie uprising?" he asked, it sounded comical, but the man genuinely seemed worried by the scientist's words. Ultima almost laughed at that, but remained silent behind him.

"No, no they, they just appeared again! Same way they appeared the first time, they're all complying with orders now, saying stuff like they don't want to wait to revive again cause it's boring and, and" he began to panic. Gareth moved to comfort him, only for Ultima to move first and grab his head "You're shaking" he said flatly "Them coming back from the dead, could be related to the same reason they appeared from thin air in the first place" he calmly observed. Gareth nodded, and turned to look at Amber Gem, he noticed her sweating and stared right at her dark almost black eyes "Explain that one Amber, if I shoot you right now, will you come back?" he threatened. Amber moved back "Hey, hey when did we get to shooting me? I've told you everything I know!" she said, biting her lip. 

Gareth shook his head "You're hiding something, and if you'll come back maybe I should waste my time asking some different people then" he took out his pistol and aimed at her, lining the shot up. She stood frozen in fear, Gareth didn't even hesistate after learning she'd come back, shooting her. No blood came from her, no wounds appear as if she wasn't even hit, but she faded into a shining light just like all the rest. "Ultima, you stay here, question her as you see fit when she...revives" he says, leaving the soldier alone and walking with the doctor to the other captives.

Ultima stood straight as he watched Amber Gem get shot, not flinching, and only nodding at Gareth's order as he sat down across from where she was and waited. While he waited, he checked out the new NPC functions he finally had full access to, it's been so hectic since they arrived he didn't really get a chance to do so.

Announcement
Missions
This is the tab where you can create and distribute missions to players, depending on your fame, or infamy, you can issue missions to wider audiences. At this point you're only able to issue missions to people who directly have contact with you, or to people who are your allies. You can assign an amount of EXP that is a quarter of enough to get to your current level everyday. Currently you may only make standard missions, which just have a goal the player must complete to get the reward.

Announcement
Class
This is the tab where you can choose how your class functions, this means you can change which stat some abilites use, or in the case of your custom weapon skill, decide the weapon someone gets from it. This can be done with anyone who has learned your class, even if that person is not directly known to you. Furthermore, you can later make subclasses in this menu, subclasses generally remove one feature and boost another one, giving a trade off for an increased effect in some area. You always get the boosted version of a feature, such as your Shockwave Impact always functioning even in a vacuum, so for you this point is moot.

Announcement
Allies
This tab shows your current allies, allowing you to monitor their general stats, but not allowing you to see statuses or any form of health gauge. It can also find allies directly. An ally is someone you have at least a level 2 relationship with that is positive. Some characters may require a higher level before they are considered an ally.
Current allies: Gareth, Arron
Ex-Allies: None (yet)

It was a lot to take in, but he examined the explanations over and over again, thinking about what to do next. He did admire Amber Gem's straight face, until of course she cracked under pressure. He sort of felt bad for how ruthless Gareth was to her, but at the same time, didn't feel that bad at all. He created a new mission to be ready for when Amber respawned, and was glad when the system didn't stop it from being created.

Announcement
Ultimate Question
Mission: Answer Ultima truthfully, even if he doesn't hear or believe you. 
Reward: +1 EXP, +10 favorability from Ultima
Failure: Ultima kills you
Notes: Truthfully.

Perfect! With that made he sighed quietly and leaned back, waiting, and waiting for her to come back as he was ordered. He didn't know that currently the girl was making a long winded post about how an NPC just shot her, raging about it. For the other players who literally were almost executed on sight or the ones who quickly realized they were in deep trouble in their spawns. Being shot and just having a penalty until she revived was pretty tame.

Announcement
So, um, confession...I can't write girls? Like I'm sure I could do just fine with it, but when I think of girls in these sorts of novels I think of love interests and um. Yeah I don't like those? I feel like I would do really bad with writing them in a way that isn't cringy. So, sorry about that? I will not be adding in love intreasts, for the time being at least. Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading tonight's chapters. Thank you
20