Taren Is Contacted (Arc Three Chapter 1)
251 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The nation of Taren was a more a loose collection of about six cities, with trade routes and small communities inside of a circle, the capital was simply the capital because it was the biggest and in the center. It was a monarchy, and had been under the rule of The Solars for several decades. It was cold and unforgiving, the beliefs of both the ruler and the people was the same, work to survive and expand within the icy region they called home. Not like any nation fought with them for it.

This neutrality changed one day as a group of three black ships descended from the sky, each one carrying six players of The War Guild. They collectively had woven a story together, each was one of a different race, one ship didn't even have humanoids. 

The government of Taren was quick to respond, a stand by military that had not seen action in a long time beyond civil control, itself a rarity in a place where people were concerned with their safety, was dispatched. Three dozen soldiers all under a commanding officer arrived at the landing spot of the jagged black ships, they were picked up by the radars of each one of course, primitives' with their bullet proof vests and conventional firearms compared to the aliens. 

The first ship to open was the one with the most human looking, in fact, they looked fully human, but taller and more sturdy looking. It was safe to say they looked like improved humans who didn't even wear heavy clothing, just a simple fur cloak to cover their bodies from the blowing winds. They carried large guns that some soldiers recognized as heavy machine guns, made to be held with two hands at the hip, but each one was modified to be held up and aimed like a rifle. Only one held a melee weapon, and it was a humming double sided blade, the hilt itself floated behind the blade somehow, it seemed impractical.

The second ship had much less human looking, but still humanoid figures. They were much shorter, and their bodies seemed almost gelatinous, and strangely colored. Moving from step to step with a sway to their feet. They had no features at all, and seemingly no weapons, but they then produced from their body strange metallic guns that had lasers contained in a chamber, buzzing with power as a lever cranked to power it up further and drain a large battery on it that looked unlike any the soldiers had ever seen.

The final, and the third ship, had six monsters walk out from it. Wolves with cat like eyes, and bear like claws, thick and tall with warm fur. These players were part of a much more primitive race that still had managed to find tools long ago, and were now capable of making interstellar vehicles. This showed in that if it were not for the collars they had on each of them that seemed almost lavish in design, they would only be making growls to their fellows. The reason for their ability to use tools was made quickly evident, as they floated off from the platform and landed beside their fellows, a form of advanced and natural telekinesis. 

A voice came out from one of the Ursus Lupines "So, we've arrived, what is our plan?" he asked, the largest among his group. His voice was rough and low, speaking both aloud and to the minds of the other two leaders. He was known as War-Wolf, fitting for his race, which is why he picked it.

"Well, wolf" the Celestial Sapien replied, the leader being the one holding the humming blade, which he put over his shoulder "I say we raze the nation to the ground with our weapons" he said softly "or..." he spoke up so he made sure the soldiers deliberately hear "we try to make peaceful contact with the rulers of this region" he said. War Bringer looked around after saying so "If there are even any here" he muttered, still loud.

"That sounds good to me, us, either way" the gelatinous and tallest Evogoo replied, his group was a lot more tightly knit. His name was The Warring One, and it was worth saying that every one in his group followed that naming structure, The Second To War, War For Three, etc. The voice from him was almost like a chirping bird rather than sounds, but it was still understandable with effort.

"Lets move out!" Wolf said, howling to activate one of his abilites, causing the rest of the Ursus Lupine to come behind him and respond with their own howl, causing a wave of unnatural fear to wash over the soldiers. The commanding officer gulped, before quickly coming out, still armored, but raising his hands. "Extra Terrestrials!" he said, causing all eighteen players to turn and stare at him. "We have heard of you seeking war from The Ark, but you talk of peace! I am, General Darius, and I wish to communicate" he said, steeling himself in front of them.

Having taken the bait, the most human one, Bringer, came forward and put his sword into the snowy ground "Darius sir, some of our companions do wish to wage war, but we can promise you safety from that, in exchange, we were hoping to perhaps be allowed to study your nation. Tell your leaders we will be here awhile, and in exchange we will help develop your technology. We will stay here for several of your Larian days" he said, smiling.

One nodded "As he said, we seek cooperation and knowledge, which we will take, by force" he said vaguely "This is a chance for force to be avoided though" he added before moving back into his own ship with the other Evogoos.

Wolf and Bringer both did the same, leaving the general to take a deep breath before standing up and walking back over to the still hiding soldiers "Let's head back to the capital, we need to, report this in" he said, the soldiers all collectively nodded, quickly leaving and driving away.


"Do you think he'll be okay?" Lapis asked, for once in his gaming career, he didn't have the chat open, he did have the stream going, but chat was muted, it wasn't the time to talk

Arron sighed, looking at the short and masked Lightform as he rubbed his head "I don't actually know, he pushed himself way too far, he's showing the same symptoms others of The Ultima Project showed just before they ended up, expiring"

"He's not dying! No way!" Seeker said, sitting up quickly as Arron responded "I refuse to believe he's going to, I've barely even gotten to know him!" he clenched his fist, despite it being an NPC, he still fought beside them, and there was only one iteration of Alex, just like any other character in this game.

"None of us have, just shut it" Amber said, laying in a hospital bed as Seeker likely caused some damage to himself from quickly sitting up. That was evident as he faked being hurt, hissing as he laid back down. She rolled her eyes and breathed deeply "We barely know him, we don't even know where he came from, do you know Arron?" she asks him, looking at the scientist.

Arron thought "I've never taken an extensive look actually, but I could find his file, The Ark keeps very good records for these sorts of things. Alexander is, tough, and that's why he survived in the first place right? So, he'll pull through, I'm sure of that" he said after a bit, standing up "Stop pushing yourselves, I'm not sure why he is, but if Alex learned you three died just to get out of rest he'd probably drag himself out of bed to berate you or keep an eye on you" he sighed.

Lapis nodded, the other two sighing and conceding at they logged off the game. He was the only one still awake, watching Arron as he stood up and moved to walk out "Doctor Arron? Thank you" he says. The scientist, and doctor, nods before leaving the room and going to see Gareth.

He walked down the hall until he came to a locked door, for which he had a key. He opens it up and steps inside, Gareth had his top half exposed, showing several vicious but clean burns that were tightly wrapped up and liberally applied with some ointment. He was deeply asleep and resting. Arron nodded, remembering how he passed out soon after adrenaline wore off and he made sure the other three got medical treatment, prompting him to be given his own.

He sat in the room of the sleeping officer for a moment, sighing as he rubbed his eyes "You know Gareth, the plan was to maybe have you be the next subject, if you consented, you would've had that option. You are one of the best here at The Ark" he muttered "It's shocking to know you've helped Alex so much mentally while you guys just went on nothing more than a couple day's trip. From what you've said anyway, but...if I'm being honest friend, I think he may be bed ridden for good. He may live for a long time, but I know the higher ups aren't going to support him once they realize he isn't going to fully recover" Arron sighed. "We will have to see" he muttered, standing up and leaving the room. 

Announcement
Bit of a short chapter, and a very early upload, but that's because I will be busy tonight and can't write later, for the first time I am going to hold a poll. As you may have noticed reading this chapter, it is labeled as two separate arc chapters. The reason for this is that I am thinking going forward I'll be moving away from Ultima (one of the reasons he's out of commission) to focus on the story at large about The War Guild. I think this change warrants an arc change, but I'm not sure. Vote please if you have the time, and thank you for reading today or tonight. This poll will be open for three days, and until then, all chapters will be named Arc Two and Three
Should I start a new arc?
  • No, keep it as Arc Two Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, change it to become Arc Three Votes: 8 80.0%
Total voters: 10 · This poll was closed on Feb 22, 2021 09:10 PM.
7