Chapter 12 – The Request from Selarong
130 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I may need to put more chapter at a quicker pace to keep up with what I've released so far, probably within a week after the entire revamp is done.

7th September 1523 / 224, A week after Selarong Kingdom rejects the demand

“What’s happening with the plan?!” came an angry shout.

“Yes… The Imperial Oversight’s Army twenty-four ship fleet will depart shortly to administer punishment to Selarong,” the aide replied nervously.

The Papaldia Empire’s 3rd foreign affairs department was located in a facility outside the palace. Just like Celestina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, these departments were in charge of diplomacy, but in Papaldia the responsibilities were split between four separate departments.

The 1st department was found in the palace and dealt solely with five superpowers in the civilized area. These relationships required the most delicate care, the most scrupulous political decision-making, so only the elites of the elite were assigned here. Next year, they will attend the Eleven Country Leadership Conference as a fixed participant according to the Intelligence from Lyrallei’s unit.

Next, the 2nd department was situated outside the palace and handled foreign relations with other countries in the civilized area other than the superpowers. Using their national power as leverage, they pushed forward Papaldia’s national interests while pulling back against unreasonable conditions. Because these countries were all backed by other superpowers, they couldn’t just recklessly exploit them, so a level of prudence was necessary. This was where the rest of the elites worked.

Next, the 3rd department was in charge of all countries outside the civilized area, also known as the “barbarian countries.” They were given leave to apply as much pressure as necessary to squeeze whatever they wanted from these countries. With permission from the imperial oversight army, they were allowed to take punitive action on them whenever necessary. Because there were so many barbarian countries, most of the entire foreign affairs department worked here.

Lastly, the 4th department was in charge of preparing a strategy or known as strategy team and information network. Their team was involved with Rodenius War and also, the ones who offer a strategy to 1st to 3rd department should they doesn’t have another plan. The workers at the foreign department are mixed up between 1st to 3rd department due to their main role is to collect information from overseas and devising a strategy for diplomatic relationships outside the Empire.

Celestina already infiltrate the 3rd and 4th department before the Rodenius War started as they successfully obtain evidence of the Papaldia Empire’s involvement in the Louria Kingdom before the department scuttle it. If it was by Celestina, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will work together with CIISA (Central Imperial Intelligence Security Agency) to obtain intelligence before sending in diplomats in an attempt to open a diplomatic gate.

The national resource acquisition stratagem being executed behind the scenes in the Kingdom of Louria had failed because the 4th department had moved independently. Because they had invested so many resources into it, they couldn’t hide their failure, but all the information was currently still limited to the 3rd and 4th foreign affairs department, so no one else knew about the country of Celestina.

Returning to the previous matter at hand…

About 250km east of the Papaldia Empire, there was an island that looks like a mirror Island. The size was around 180km in length and 60km in width. This was the Kingdom of Selarong. East of Selarong, across the bay, like a mirror, was a slightly larger island the Holy Land of Gahara. Another 650km of Gahara lay the island of Celestina.

As part of the Emperor’s national expansion initiative, the 3rd foreign affairs department demanded that a 400 square kilometer area in Selarong to be gifted to Papaldia. That area only contained forests – the 3rd department could gain credit for obtaining land for the initiative; it wasn’t being used by Selarong anyway, so it was not a loss for them; it would be an act of loyalty towards Papaldia, so they could turn into a semi-civilized state once Papaldia share some of their technologies; and finally, they would become allied with Papaldia, which, given the power behind their name, would be a large deterrent for any surrounding countries that were thinking of invading them. Papaldia would expand and Selarong would get rich.

Selarong for some reason rejected this amazing proposal, so the department prepared a second proposal to lease the same site for 498 years. Selarong’s King Dimas politely declined the second proposal as well.

“They’re throwing mud on our name as a superpower,” fumed Kyeos, the department head. He decided to dispatch the oversight army’s fleet.


Papaldia Empire 3rd Department Office

“I apologize for the trouble, if the department head is indisposed, any official will do. Please allow us to meet with someone who has the authority.”

A group of officials from Celestina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been stuck for three months. At least the intelligence was correct and one of the staff, Silvano Shin Regal, manages to infiltrate as one of the Papaldia Foreign Affairs staff five months ago. Another was Jill, the Palace Maid who serves the Royal Family directly and has gained a reputation to the point where she was planned to receive a reward by Ludius, the current Emperor of the Papaldia Empire. Both of them are worked for Zealot Strike Force and belongs to Lyrallei’s Unit that specialized in blending in with people.

“Please wait for a moment. Things must be processed in the correct order… However, I did see the contents of your proposal, and it’s quite a difficult… our documents state that, how do you say, ‘the hurdle is very high,’ I believe…”

“What do you mean by that…?”

“If a citizen of Papaldia were in… ‘Celestina,’ was it and committed a crime, you are saying you refuse to recognize extraterritoriality…”

“What’s wrong with that? Is that a common understanding of this Civilization?”

“But we’re a superpower…”

“And what does it has to do with it?”

“Your country was only recently established, wasn’t it? Though you cannot help being outside the civilized area, it appears that you even lack common sense,” the clerk said venomously. Silvano just stares at the group as she knows how hard this matter with while handling the paperwork. Then, they receive an explanation from the clerk.

“Listen, right now, in the entire world, there are only four nations that we allow to refuse extraterritoriality. They are the superpowers. Your country is not a superpower, you aren’t even in the civilized area, yet you are unaware of common diplomatic knowledge, you are refusing to recognize extraterritoriality, and you are simply deluded thinking that your country is equal to a superpower and making demands far above your station. The department manager will be available in two weeks, so please make an appointment and return then. However, as far as I am concerned, ‘the hurdle is too high for your request,’ as it were.”

Just because Celestina was located outside the Civilization area, it was being treated as though its national power were a thousand times smaller. Now that efforts at communicating had failed, there was nothing else they could do. The Ministry officials despondently return home. These two weeks later will become two extremely important weeks to Papaldia, but at that time, no one knew what kind of future it will hold. However, for the Papaldia Empire, it will be led to the chains of events that will decide the fate of the Empire.

Exiting the office, they immediately contact Alicia to report. Since Alicia and Cecilia are interested in Gemstone Processing technology, they want to open a diplomatic relationship to start the trading. However, due to the nature of the Empire, it seems they are the same as the western hemisphere does so this is going to be difficult.


“Your Majesty. The negotiation broke down.”

“As I expected. We will prepare the army shortly and wait for a movement where they will declare war on us. Until then, keep trying to pry on them.”

“Yes, Grand Duchess.”

Forwarding the report to Sacchito, Alicia will have to inform him regarding this matter.

“I’ve got the update, Alicia.”

Sacchito in that time prepares to lay anchor at the capital, Gowok. Due to receiving a report of the Wyvern Lord participation from the Papaldia Empire, Shiela decides to use her personal mount to intimidate the Papaldia’s rider by her own initiative.

“It seems Silvano’s intel is correct. Even Shiela could use her personal mount for this matter, they could try to intimidate us with sheer number. If they can’t be persuaded to visit Celestina and goes to the war method, perhaps this time we will deploy the Undines. Also, get every intel from all colonies under Papaldia Empire, we might be able to find something interesting.”

“About that matters, Shiki and Zilva are currently at Verlaine Kingdom.”

“Huh? What?!”

It’s rare for Shiki to travels outside Celestina Empire. Did he finally found someone he was looking for? Out of the officers who once served his father, only Tohriu Shiki that was not married. The rest was already married and having children. Sacchito was curious why he got interested in Verlaine Kingdom?

“Anyway… Continue the duty, I need to ask Shina about that matter.”

The Intelligence Team continues their work to obtain more intelligence. Additionally, Eleugy arrived on the scene and positioned itself seventy-five kilometers away from Selarong Island.


The Kingdom of Selarong had no magic. All the citizens are learned to wield the sword, spear, or any weapon that is according to their specialization as basic self-defense education. Due to the constant threat from the Papaldia Empire, such action was necessary to prepare themselves to make their stand. No matter how low your birth, as long as you display an exceptional talent, you deserve a respect, any talentless people will be derided and ridiculed.

Today, Lieutenant Kumsius, is practicing with his palace knights subordinates. Kumsius has a talent for swordplay and often trains it during his leisure time. He also has a hobby of designing a building and will help with an architect when he had a chance. He volunteers himself to sign-up at the palace knights due to Selarong’s principle.

Principles of the Selarong Knights, Third Article, First Paragraph

Palace Knights at the guardians of the people lives, bodies, and possessions; they prevent and suppress crime, capture criminals, and maintain public safety and order.

As Kumsius continues to hone his skills, little he realizes that he eventually becomes a Lieutenant and takes command of the 10th Company Palace Guard.

“Kumsius, I would like to bring you to the castle,” Kumsius’ superior, Captain Johann, calls for him.

“Yes sir, what is it?”

“All Officers are being summoned by King Dimas.”

King of Selarong, Dimas was the ruler of the Kingdom of Selarong.

“That’s weird. Wasn’t it supposed to be Captain or above?”

Johann shakes his head which triggers Kumsius' curiosity.

“Oh, I’m also being summoned. Every Officers from Lieutenant or higher is being summoned to the royal palace. It appears to be a serious matter. So go on ahead.”

So, he headed to the royal palace.


Kingdom of Selarong, capital city Gowok, Royal Castle

“We may soon go to war with the Papaldia Empire.”

!!!!!!!!

Everyone paled at this sudden declaration.

The problem with there being no magic in Selarong wasn’t that they couldn’t shoot fireballs, but rather they were unable to communicate via communication magic. If they were to fight an opponent with the same sized army, the difference in their speeds of communication would create an insurmountable gap in their tactical capabilities.

Another problem was the Papaldia Empire’s enormous national power.

Kingdom of Selarong vs Papaldia Empire

Population: 1,000,000 vs 75,000,000

Navy: 25 Ballista ship and capable of seizing ships vs 643 gunboats.

Wyverns: 0 vs 550

Wyvern Lords: 0 vs 450

While the difference in military strength is depressing enough, they were also a superpower. Their soldiers were far better equipped, so there was an even bigger disadvantage beyond numerical disparity. The mere fact they were from the civilized area made them a country they shouldn’t fight.

The room went silent.

The reason Selarong had no wyverns was because, east of Selarong, wind dragons had settled in the Holy Land of Gahara. Wind dragons were very intelligent and far above wyverns in the food chain, so wyverns wouldn’t dare to come anywhere close to Gahara. Using some kind of magic-like technique called the “divine power,” Gahara allied themselves with fifteen wind dragons. They were few in number, but each one was equal to thousands of soldiers, so even superpowers were wary of them.

“Currently, I have requested aid from Gahara. We also have various other countermeasures under consideration.”

The King had sent an official letter to the Supreme King Soliskar, who lived in the imperial shrine in Gahara’s capital city, Rigon.

“In any case, all warriors should prepare for war.”

Everyone remained tense.


After the meeting

“My king, how did the matter go with the country that wanted to open negotiations regarding diplomatic relations? ‘Celestina,’ I think it was?”

After the assembly ended, one of the King’s aides, Councilor Sentiko, asked him a question in his office. In Selarong, there were only ten people who wield the title of Councilor.

“Celestina? Aaaah, we received some information about them from Gahara’s embassy, they’re an emerging country east of Gahara. Over in that area, there’s a chain of small islands, and some dangerous ocean currents… did those villagers on those islands group up and form their own country, I wonder?”

The King imagined the birth of a small country.

“That’s not… quite… According to the Celestinian, their population is three billion, they say…”

“T… three billion people?! Wahahaha, I guess they really are a big deal if they’ve sprouted that many already!” the King laughed, not believing Sentiko’s word in the least.

“Well… this came from Gahara, but they gave us the same numbers. They’ve already made a diplomatic ties with Celestina. That area of the ocean isn’t just a small chain of islands, but one huge island. They also have a highly advanced civilization that surpasses that of the superpowers…”

“Hoh… Saying they’re above the superpowers stretches credulity, but, if Gahara is going this far to praise them, I am curious what kind of country they are…”

The King and the aides decide to meet the Celestinian representatives from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


“No need to be nervous about it…”

“Empress, you know I would prefer if this was handled by Grand Duchess Eleonora personally rather than both of you.”

“It can’t be helped since we’re here already.”

The country was very stern, what interests them is their weapons as some of their primary weapons is Kris, a signature weapon from Indonesia. The quality of life seemed low and citizens appeared impoverished, but the spirits were high and all the people acted properly and politely.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Officials are accompanied by Great Emperor Sacchito’s first twin adjutant, including his wives, Luciana and Aegina. Because one of the main weapon was a sword, they are the most suitable person to take the task for this country. While Sacchito disguises himself as one of the officials and exploring around the town, both twins are accompanying Hess and other officials from Celestina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Luciana Lexington & Aegina Lexington

“Presenting the King,” a voice announced. The representatives from Celestina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs stood up and bowed.

“So, you must be messengers from Celestina.”

Looking at the armor worn by the Twin Valkyrie, Dimas can tell that they are a Master Swordsman. It will be interesting if he can spar his strength with at least one of them.

It looks like The King can match the swordsmanship of these twins, that was Hess thought on his mind, the officials at Celestina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs that wins the Kendo Championship four times in a row at University League, observing his movements.

“Yes… we have come because we would like to establish diplomatic relations with your country. Please accept these gifts along with our greetings. They are goods made in Celestina.”

Arranged in front of King Dimas were various Celestina’s items. Longsword, coat, pearl necklaces, a folding fan, winged shoes… King Dimas takes a longsword and pulled it from its sheath.

“Oh… this is a good sword,” said King Dimas, impressed. He had already asked in advance about the terms presented by Celestina and verified that the details in the documents were all correct.

“It is rude, but I do not know very much about your country, Celestina. From your proposal, if everything you say is true, a country with tremendous national power wants to build an equal relationship with us, and we would also gain access to the technology that we could previously only see in our dreams. Our country has no reason to object.”

“In that case, you’ll—”

The representative’s face brightened. As if waiting for that the King interrupted.

“However, your whole country being transported here, iron ships that float in the ocean, adventurers with capabilities on par with the military… your stories are very hard to believe.”

“In… in that case, if you would like to send messengers to our country, then…”

“No, I would like to see it with my own eyes.”

“How… would you like so?”

“In your country, your naval forces, have multiple Fleets on a Battle Group, or so I’ve heard. Along with some adventurers with superior capabilities.”

“Yes… That was correct.”

“As an act of friendship, can I request that you deploy one of those Battle Groups here? This year, we were planning on scrapping five of our navy’s ships. Instead, we can just set them afloat. In simple terms, I want to see your navy and adventurers power.”

The representative was taken aback. Normally, without any diplomatic relations, countries felt threatened by and were cautious of any other country’s armed forces coming near them. It was normal to be extremely opposed to that idea, but this monarch was instead saying, “Show us your power!!” Not only that, but they wanted to see right off the shore of Gowok, their capital city! But, this is where Alicia expects that some country may practice gunboat diplomacy which makes the Twin Valkyries accepts the proposal.

“We will accept that proposal. Both of us will take out two of it, and the rest will be handled by our navy.”

“Oho… you two? Can you both capable of doing it in the middle of the ocean?”

Luciana immediately stops Aegina that was about to draw her sword, irritated by his words. She knows King Dimas doubts them, but it can be only answered by their abilities.

“Calm down, Aegina.” Nodding, Luciana accepts it. “We accept it.”

Five days later, the 1st Expeditionary Fleet under Battle Group Moonlight Sea with Seraphic Ocean as the Command Fleet was dispatched to Selarong as a show of force and to conduct a training exercise.


12th September 1523 / 224, Selarong Kingdom, in the sky of Gowok

Captain Kurt of the Gahara Wind Dragon riders was flying over the capital city of the neighboring country, the Kingdom of Selarong. Today was the Military Festival that Selarong hold once every five years, and Gahara sent three dragon riders to fly in the sky as a sign of goodwill.

At the Military Festival, numerous officers from other countries outside the civilized area gathered to compete in tournaments and show off their country’s equipment. It was a way for each country to show off its military power and keep other countries in check. They also invited countries in the civilized area, but one of them ever came, replying with, “we are uninterested in barbarian festivals” or “we have no need to show off our overwhelming strength.”

Kurt looked down at the festival from the sky. He saw at least eight gigantic gray ships and two small but beautiful ships painted white. Two of the gray ship even looked large enough for him to land his dragon on it. They appeared to be from the emerging country of Celestina.

“How dazzling,” said his wind dragon partner.

 “It certainly is clear today.”

The sun was blinding. It was a day without many clouds.

“No, that’s not what I meant. Not the sun. But the gray boat below us, it radiates lines of light in many directions and… I wouldn’t dare to approach a ship in the air…”

“Light from the ship? I don’t see anything…”

Kurt tries to ease his partner, but suddenly his wind dragon partner flew a bit further because something has made it chill.

“Hey… are you okay?”

“Y-yeah. I’m okay. And, what do you mean with that light?”

“Yeah, I’m asking about what do you see.”

“About that, our kind converse with our faraway brethren using light that, for humans, is invisible light. To know if something is flying, it is possible to check. This light is similar to that.”

“You can tell if there are dragons in the sky? From how far away?”

“It varies by individual. This one can tell as far as one hundred and twenty kilometers. The light from that boat is many times stronger than what this one makes. Its light is also focused.”

It couldn’t be…

“It can’t be! That boat can be somehow communicating with another faraway boat without using magic, and they can also use that method to detect flying dragons outside of visual range?!”

“Those ten boats down there and one at the sky are the same…”

“Celestina… But, where is the ship in the sky…?”

Despite Eleugy remains hidden using the retro reflection panel, their position was still known by the wind dragon. Shiela’s dragon even comments, “They can detect things that normal humans can’t detect it.”

“I feel like to imagine that Celestina was an amazing country indeed.”

This was the conversation they were having up in the air.


Celestina Imperial Navy, Plasma-class Destroyer Destructo

“This is unbelievable…”

“But, there’s no doubt about it…”

Flying in the air far above them, that creature known as a wind dragon was sending out electromagnetic waves that closely resembled radio waves. But, Shiela does not dismiss the possibility that the dragons may know their position without using radar. If that happens, there is a chance that countries at Major Civilization might have already mass-produced military-grade radar.

Celestina uses this chance to continue to develop the Stealth Technology further. Representatives from Natunia Seraphic Armory, Forestry Special Assembly, Lottery Mouse Research Institute, Eclair Supernova Industries, and some of Celestina’s company representatives also arrived to observe and study each of participants technology.

5