Chapter 1: Why are you looking at me like that?
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

??? POV

My body is slowly breaking apart as I walked at the narrow street. My consciousness is about to fade from extreme exhaustion and pain. Countless memories flashed by like a revolving lantern.

'Am I... truly going to die today?'

I wearily raised my head. Amidst my faded view is an unassuming bookstore. I froze at the spot and stared at the entrance. I was about to turn when I felt a familiar warmth. It was a strange feeling as if-

"I would regret not going in..."

I unknowingly spoke my thoughts out loud. If my former comrades heard me, without a doubt, it would surprise them. I subconsciously smiled bitterly as I recall my fallen comrades.  

*Ding*

A pleasing sound greeted me as I walked inside. I was about to look around when I noticed a young man sitting behind the counter, reading books with the gaze of a scholar. He casually threw a glance in my direction, calmly smiled, and asked.

"Welcome, is there something you wish to know?"

It seems like a typical question you'll hear from a bookstore owner or a clerk. But for me, it's like an activation of a spell that slowly turned the lively ambiance of the bookstore into a soul-wrenching room of interrogation. I couldn't help but broke some cold sweat as I stare at the being behind the counter. I instinctively reached for my gun and aimed the barrel between his temple. 

'Damn it!'

I inadvertently frowned because of the sudden movement, which reopened some of my wounds. I held it in and silently scrutinized the reaction of the young man.

================================================

Ren Imperium POV

'So much for coming across something special today.'

I inwardly grieved and studied the man behind the gun. A white tattered windbreaker, half of it bathing of dried blood. 'Yep, he stank of those people who got affiliation with mafia or gangsters.' I was so preoccupied with his appearance that before I knew it, he already closed the distance and aimed his gun between my temples. Strangely, I don't feel any stir of emotion, Anger, Fear, Despair, I felt nothing but tranquility, as if I'm just reading a book. With those thoughts, I firmly gaze at him and asked.

"Are you sure about this?"

I don't know why but the moment I uttered those words, the man immediately kneeled to the ground and steadily gazed at me.

"..." (???)

'What, why is he kneeling?' I was confused by his antics but I eventually dismissed it as some kind of eccentric's behavior. I'm about to ask him to get ou- I mean, persuade him to kindly leave when the man suddenly cut in.

"I-I would like trade my soul, in exchange, give me, give me the power to avenge my comrades!"

The man firmly stared at me with deep conviction and firm determination as if he is facing the most dreadful being of the world. 'No, why are you looking at me like that.' I inwardly retorted but eventually asked him something I've been wanting to know.

"Dear sir, may I have the honor of knowing your name?"

The firm gaze of the man wavered for a bit before regaining his bearing.

"My name is" (???)

1