Part 2: Old Servant Recollects That the Nephew Was Unruly and Treacherous
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 2: Old Servant Recollects That the Nephew Was Unruly and Treacherous

The servant’s eyes were in a haze of deep-rooted memories.

"Ah, the nephew... He had everything he desired, never has been refused in anything. No wonder he was a spoiled brat. His uncle did everything to make Liu LiZhong at least stop hating him so much, to say nothing of a bit of love or respect."

"At twelve he was sent to the Trade Academy, the best educational institution on the continent.  So what do you think? He failed all his disciplines and ran off home three months later."

"Some told he was afraid to leave his sister with the uncle... I don't really know...Never could figure out what was going on in that sick head of his. One thing was clear, he couldn't stand not trashing his uncle's life... Threw away his books... my, my. He just threw all books out of his study."

"What kind of books were they?" the guest asked, his curiosity awakened.

"Just books... like any other books. You should know, the master has always been thorough about any matter. 'Your troublesome teenager', '20 useful tips how to raise teen boys and girls', suchlike..."

(Ding XuShun, proceeding with utmost care not to rattle the old man:) - I beg your pardon, would you mind if I write down the titles? They sound like very analytical publications.

(Old servant, pompously:) - By all means suit yourself. I can even look for some of that series later, if there's something left.

(Ding XuShun:) - Much obliged. I happen to have a sister and a brother of just the right age.

(Old servant:) - One can see an honorable young man, a noble family's true hope. You would, no doubt, get very close with my dear lost master!

(Ding XuShun, to himself:) - God forbid. Am I looking for vinegar in the face?.. Ha-ha-ha!

(Old servant:) - Weren't you laughing just now?

(Ding XuShun:) - Never mind, that's me being truly happy. That's because I like to read educational literature so much... Please, continue.

"So... Liu LiZhong... Having been tutored at home, he mastered mathematics quite decently and did all the company's accounts. And guess what! He wasn't half-bad at it, he sure had a bright head... when it didn't come to his uncle... a boy of a respectable family after all. He kept all commercial matters in an excellent condition. "

"You may not believe it, but he really got everything under control... My honorable master was a man of outstanding... I would even daresay 'unconditional', honesty; everybody held him in the highest esteem, his one word was as good as a signed bill... above gold and rubies... yeah... good for business, of course. That's the man he was... Righteous, straightforward and compassionate - like in poems by the great Bo Bayun. The company was like a family to him... and people took advantage, can you believe it? Those scumbags..."

"So, the nephew, he took it all under control. Being as wild as he was, he put his hand on the workers; he didn't give a fuck... oh!"

TeaBag covered his mouth in terror and stood there batting his old honest eyes which were watching the world from under his bushy brows.

(Ding XuShun :) - Never mind. Don't get upset. That would be nephew Liu LiZhong's bad influence, I presume?

TeaBag nodded his old head frantically, eager to pinch the blame on Liu LiZhong.

(Ding XuShun :) - You were telling he took charge in the company: beat the fucks out of... I mean reprimanded the workers and such...

To keep up the tradition among the two of them, Ding XuShun  pointed with his eyes at the particular part of the old servant. The latter was only happy to go on with his story to sweep under the rug his unbecoming behavior.

(Old servant:) - True, true. The workers were afraid of him and... that was beneficial.

"Also, there was a complete account of the job done every day, he always finalized the balance, whatever calculations, and handed it all in to his uncle."

"We've got our business down there for the most part: the storehouses, deliveries. Now, the uncle never went to bed before the young master was back. Because he'd wake him up all the same, even at night, and say, 'Quit (eye-pointing at the right place) ...ing the sack, (whispers) asshole.'"

Ding XuShun  tried to phantom the uncle's life during that period on Linux Mountain: 'On your feet, lazy shit!' in the morning and 'Quit fucking the sack, asshole!' at night. Life... it is complicated.

"Their relationship still was terrible, of course,.. terrible. He even laid a hand on his uncle, got totally out of hand. To lay a hand on his late mother's brother, how do you like it, mm? My, my..."

"Once I went down from the mountain to the storehouse and I witnessed Liu LiZhong hit his uncle with a fist. Right in his face-bone. And that wasn't the first blow, I had heard sounds from around the corner. What had gotten into him?"

"You must know Liu LiZhong was a young man yet he was really husky. He was taller than the master, despite ten years younger, and by no means he was lacking strength or vigor. As for his uncle... If there was a man in the prefecture able to withstand Liu LiZhong's slug that would be no other than my dear master. He was a man of great might, powerfully built. He could knock down a bull with one blow holding it by a horn with his other hand..."

"Liu LiZhong says to him, 'Why the schmuck are you just standing there? You can't even give me one in the mug?' And he says, 'Wanna more? I'm all yours.'"

"My master didn't say a word, just stood there with his head down. My heart was being torn apart, you know... I hid around the corner - not to get in the way. And that Liu LiZhong raised his hand again so I was afraid he'd give the master another slug, but he put the hand down and only said, 'How do I hate you!' Do you understand it? Me neither. And he left."

"And the master smashed his fist into the storehouse wall - it went right through. And the wall fell down too. I ran up to my master but how could I help? I'm not a carpenter. I only said, 'My, my, Master Liu. The young master will scold you, you broke the storehouse. Bad for business.'"

"Nda... Who could tell that scoundrel Liu LiZhong would get mixed up with the Grandsons-in-the-Mountains? After all, he was from a prosperous honorable family which has always been loyal to his Imperial Highness. We had war leaders, governors,.. who else did we have?.. silk traders, china traders... but no traitors, never! Do you know that those rebellions were connected with the Repelling Army and backed up foreign invasion plans?"

(Ding XuShun, obviously terrified, maybe a bit too much:) - That can't be!

(Old servant:) - But it can... This is how it was.

"So Liu LiZhong, he shipped a wagon of gold to those mountain bandits and forged entries in the accounting books. He even didn't deny it. No wonder the uncle was furious with rage. And the brat, that snake which had been nursed in his uncle's bosom, he only replied (meaningful eye-pointing), '... the money!' How can anyone even talk like that about money?!"

===================================================================

2