1.02
24 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lie stared at the old man before him, the grey hair with red robes decorated with images of flickering flames, looking to see if the words that have been uttered was a mistake on his part... maybe he was going senile, that tends to happen quite a bit as people got older. 

"I want you to marry my daughter" The elder repeated himself once more.  

"So let me get this straight, you're offering your daughters hand in marriage to me as a way to say sorry?" Lie asked.

"That is correct, will you marry her?" 

"I'm still young, I think its to early to marry someone." 

"Youngsters these days get married as soon as they become of age, at the very least they become engaged." 

"Even then, being engaged is a bit to much considering we're just strangers, besides shouldn't your daughter have a say in this?" 

"Kids get engaged all the time, My buddy Baboon  just found a suitable partner for his daughter quite recently and she likes him too." 

People still arrange marriages these days? Now that Lie thought about it, there was his friend Amara whose elder sister got engaged to her husband due to their mothers' influence.  Amara had come to study in the states to avoid getting matched as she wanted to love someone of her own choosing. 

"You're offering your daughter, is she a middle child that you don't want anymore?" Lie asked. The Elder instantly bellowed at him "She is my one and precious daughter, it pains me to give her away but it must be done!"

"Why? If she is your one and only daughter then marrying her to someone who she doesn't even know makes me not want to take this deal." 

The elder sighed after his outburst and got up to sit down in a chair by the wall. Next to the chair was a table which held some beverages that he casually grabbed and took a sip after opening the top. He looked back at Lie sitting in the bed dressed in a white and exhaled once more. 

"If I explain to you why I'm doing this then will you entertain this old man's idea of marrying my daughter? It doesn't even have to be marriage you can just be engaged... please... just listen before saying anything.

Lie gave the man his attention, observing his many facial expressions as they rapidly changed between anguish, relief, and melancholy. He once again sighed and after taking a swig from his drink he started to speak. "You may be an ordinary person, but you might know by now since I practically told you that I controlled fire... I am someone who has powers outside of your imagination... normally you wouldn't have known about us at all aside from those funny stories the youngsters like now a-days."

"I am a cultivator, and that is information you need to be wary of if you want to live... My sect is known as the Sky Fire Clan, we are practitioners who harness the energies of the sun and flames and most notably is our mascot the Vermillion Bird. In our clan people who can manifest their avatars into a bird have potential to become the Sect Leader, and currently we are in the process of deciding a new leader as the current one is stepping down." 

The old man pauses to let the information sink in, his eyes roaming across Lie's face to see what type of reactions he may have, and for Lie, he wasn't sure what to think. This could all be an elaborate prank, his friends could have found a guy to dress up as an elder and when he agrees to marry this daughter of his they will jump out with a camera to say that he has been pranked. On the other hand taking this situation lightly could incur the wrath of his savior.

"I have managed to manifest a Sky Fire Hawk. He has served me well over the years and I even met the love of my life with his power, sadly she passed not to long ago but my daughter is still here... My foes are dangerous, and they would stoop so low as to target a child to make sure I drop out of the running... I want to stage the fake death of my daughter, take her to live among mortals. Do so until this succession is over and she can return safely... Will you do this for me?" 

Lie gulped as he tried to process this information. People who had no qualms with kill children.  If they found him then he would most certainly be dead before he could even scream. "Please... its only for a bit of time." The elder reassured him.

"If its only for a little bit, then I don't mind." Lie finally replied. The elderly man's face split into a grin before he got up and hugged the boy in front of him. "Thank you... Of course you shouldn't worry about money since you're being tasked by me, here is a bank card that you can use. It is dangerous for me to give you a place to stay so just buy any property you think can hide her... She is allergic to eggs so be sure to avoid anything with them... Sorry I'm rambling, lets go meet her now yes?" 

Lie nodded and started to get out of bed, it was time to meet his saviors daughter.  

3