57 | The Proposal, Part I
213 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As she walked towards her apartment, Lyn could already hear excited footsteps approaching from the other end of the door. And so, she was not surprised to enter the apartment with Cydney pouncing on her.

"You're back!" squealed the petite woman, who had somehow managed to wrap her arms and legs around Lyn.

Lyn staggered from the sudden increase in weight. She would have hugged Cydney back if not for the bag she was holding. "Careful, Cinna, or you'll ruin the cake."

"Cake? What cake?" Cydney hopped off Lyn's body as fast as she had hopped on. Her eyes glinted with joy when she spotted the signature logo on the bag. "You bought Lady C!"

"I sure did." Lyn winked as she closed the door and made her way towards the kitchen. "Millie has some family events for the next few days, and so we ended the team meeting early today. And I thought that I could drop by Lady C on my way home."

The moment Lyn took out the crepe cake slices onto a plate, Cydney devoured half a slice within seconds. Her face lit up as she gushed, "This is so good! Did you wait very long in line?"

"It was alright," Lyn said, a stupidly wide smile plastered on her face. She was definitely going to buy way more desserts from now on; anything for Cydney's precious reactions.

"You're the best." Cydney gave her a quick peck on the cheeks before skipping towards the couch.

Lyn's heart soared to the sky as she floated behind Cydney. Soon, they settled on the seat together, with Cydney leaning against Lyn's arms as she continued to gobble up the cake.

"How's your day at work, Lemon?"

Lyn laughed. "Are you really using this nickname?"

"Of course," Cydney replied with a chuckle. "So how's work?"

"It's alright, I guess." Lyn leaned back on the couch and stretched her body. "Millie is not here, so we're just prepping for commissions now until she's back. We're booked for back-to-back commissions next week and there's quite a lot of prep work to be done, but other than that, nothing too exciting." She raised her eyebrows and looked around the room dramatically. "What about you? I see you made a mess again."

Indeed, Cydney had created a windstorm around the apartment; dozens of books were opened and sprawled on the floor, connected by pieces of scribbled papers and torn notes. This was now a regular occurrence every time Lyn left for work.

An embarrassed flush painted Cydney's face. Putting the now-empty plate down on the coffee table, she snuggled towards Lyn and laid her head on her arm. "Sorry Lyn, I promise I will clean it up before dinner. I was just... reading up on a bunch of books on magic theory."

Lyn frowned. "Magic? Cinna..."

"I know, I know, I'm not doing magic, Lyn, just reading up on it," Cydney assured her as she tugged on Lyn's shirt and pulled her body closer. "I wanted to see if there's a way I can make myself be able to use magic. I don't mean the kind I was using, but the kind you use, or everyone uses. I..."

She gulped and continued, "I sort of remember how it felt like when I opened the portal, and I have a theory. I think that, in order to work the portals, the person being transported needs to have an affinity for both worlds. But any one of us only has an affinity to one of the worlds, and so that's why it's been so difficult to cross the portals. To travel across the worlds freely, I think, maybe, both worlds need to accept me, or else a huge sacrifice is needed. Does that make sense?"

"Hmm." Lyn tilted her head. "I think so?"

"I don't know. It's just a theory, it's silly."

"No, it's not silly at all. It's a possible theory, and you should explore it." Lyn sat up, holding Cydney's hands and staring into her eyes earnestly. "I know you said you wanted to stay in this world, but I also know you don't mean it. If you want to learn more about ways to get back home, I support you. I support you in anything you do."

Forcing out a small, wry smile, Cydney whispered, "Thank you, Lemon."

Lyn couldn't help but groan. "Not that nickname again."

A chuckle escaped Cydney's throat. "You said you wanted a nickname, Lemon Pie."

"I know, stop teasing me..." Lyn mumbled as she slumped down on the couch, allowing Cydney to snuggle back into her arm. "What else have you been reading?"

"Well, I started with reading up on magic theory, with all these textbooks and encyclopedias Raph got me. And then I went down the rabbit hole and... I somehow ended up reading the entire series of Mercy Johnson."

Lyn blinked. "Wait. The entire series... In a- In a day?"

"Yeah. I mean, I'm stuck here all day while you're at work, so I'm really bored."

Guilt stabbed Lyn's heart, and she squeezed Cydney's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Cinna, I know it's terrible to be locked in like that, but it's not safe for you outside, not being able to use magic and all. This apartment is as safe as I can promise you while I'm gone."

"I know, Lyn, it's fine. I don't mind it," Cydney said, although the dullness in her eyes seemed to indicate otherwise. "Hey Lyn, can I ask you a question?"

"Hm?"

"So... I was just curious about... werewolves."

Lyn stiffened. These beasts had appeared in Cydney's memories, and while they had been mild and non-threatening, she knew just how dangerous they could be. "What about them? Are they bothering you again?"

"No, but I was reading about them. All the books have the same conclusion that if you get bitten by a werewolf, you'll die. But I was wondering if you knew what happens if you survive a werewolf bite. Like, do you turn into a werewolf?"

"What? What makes you think that? Werewolves' teeth are filled with venom and you'll definitely die if bitten. There's no way to survive unless you have a healer right next to you or something. Cinna, listen to me, if you ever need to fight them, for some reason, make sure to fight in a way that avoids their teeth. Or incapacitate them in a way that they can't bite you. You can let them claw at you, but don't ever let them sink their teeth into you, alright? Especially not when it's a full moon, I think that's when their powers are on—"

"I'm not planning to fight them, Lyn," Cydney cut her off with a slightly exasperated laugh. "I just... Well, in my world, we have this... myth that werewolf bites can turn you into one."

"Huh?" Lyn was even more perplexed. "What kind of myth is that? How does that even make sense? If they can do that, why don't they just go around biting people and turning everyone into werewolves? Then the entire human race would be werewolves and no one would hunt them."

"So I take it that if I get myself bitten," Cydney mused, "I won't turn into a half-werewolf sort of thing."

"What? No!" Lyn pushed herself off the couch, once again jolting Cydney away from her embrace. "Cinna, what are you talking about? Why would you even think of getting bitten? Please don't get bitten, you'll die!"

"I'm not, I'm not." Cydney tried to placate Lyn by pulling at her arm. "It was just a thought. I just thought that if this is possible, I could turn into a werewolf and gain an affinity for this world. This will solve the affinity thing I mentioned, and then I can easily travel through the portals without a blood sacrifice."

"And that is a terrible thought," Lyn chided.

"I know, I know..." Cydney stuck her lips out into a pout. "It's just one of the two possible solutions I could think of for now."

"What is your other one?"

The pair of black eyes darted towards Lyn hesitantly. "You won't like this idea at all..."

"Let's hear it."

"Well, I was thinking that I could... Maybe, instead of becoming someone with affinities to both worlds, I could create someone like that. Someone with half affinity to this world and half affinity to mine. And then, that person can be the one who brings me along with them through the portal." Cydney squirmed in her seat. "And I was thinking maybe I could do that by, erm... by getting pregnant with someone from this world."

The whole world came crashing down at Lyn, face first, like a hard slam into a wall. Her body collapsed on the couch, and she raised a shivering arm to cover her eyes. To cover herself from the cold, cruel world. "Wow," she muttered, "that's... Wow."

"Lyn..." Cydney's voice was a meek whisper. "Is there... a way I can have a baby with you?"

A wave of emotions flooded through Lyn, as she put down her hand and stared at the petite woman. "Cinna... I can't..." She gulped down the lump in her throat. "I'm- I'm not a... you know..."

"I know that... I- I mean, I was just wondering if there's perhaps some sort of magic that can solve that..."

"Huh?" The unease and turmoil in Lyn's heart shot up. "Well, there- there is, but I- I don't really want to become a man..." Her voice trailed off into almost a soft whimper. "But if you really want me to, I can possibly consider..."

"What? Lyn, no!" Cydney exclaimed, shaking her head and hands vigorously. "No, no, that's not what I mean! I don't mean to tell you to— Ah, I'm sorry, I just thought that maybe magic could... Anyway, it's okay, Lyn, it's a stupid idea anyway."

By now, too many head-splitting thoughts had run through Lyn's mind, but one idea stuck out to her.

A baby.

A baby with Cydney.

Her heart fluttered at the thought. She had never been one to want children of any sorts, but for some reason, here she was, tingling with excitement and nervousness over the thought of starting a family with Cydney. Living life together. Raising kids together.

Cydney became flustered when she noticed Lyn's strange expression. "I'm really sorry, Lyn, please, I- I didn't mean to offend you or anything. I didn't mean... whatever you're thinking of, I didn't mean that at all. I- I won't bring this up again."

"You could get a sperm donor."

Cydney's eyes widened. "W- What?"

Lyn repeated adamantly, "You could get a sperm donor, Cinna. And then we can bring up the child together. I hate kids but I will love and cherish little Cinnamon babies, I promise you."

Cydney lowered her head; the blush in her cheeks intensified. "I don't know, I'll- I'll have to think about it. I don't yet know how I feel about getting sperm from a random person I don't know..."

"We could get someone we know," Lyn said as she tapped her fingers on the couch. "How about Raph?"

Immediately, Cydney convulsed in a dry heave, either choking on her saliva or any leftover cake in her mouth. When she recovered, her voice was as strained as her expression. "You're kidding, right?"

"I mean, he's young, smart, and capable. Out of all my male friends, he's probably the most qualified."

Cydney looked as though she was suppressing a laugh. "Millie will kill me, right after you kill Raph."

"I won't—" Lyn cut herself off with a groan. "Yeah, you're right, I'll probably kill any man who dares to impregnate you. But if you want a child... I don't know, Cinna, I really don't know."

"I told you, Lyn, it's a stupid idea, we can ignore it."

"I don't want to ignore this. I..." Lyn let out a deep, trembling breath. Her heart was beating so fast that she could barely hear herself. "I don't mind starting a family with you, Cinna. I- I don't mean that I don't mind, I mean I want to. Well, not that I want to, but more of, erm, if you want, I'll be okay with it. More than okay, actually, I'm super willing to. But that's if you want to, of course! If- If you don't want to, I'm fine too, so no pressure..."

For a while, the room was silent. Cydney's mouth was wide open as she stared at Lyn, shell-shocked. After what seemed like forever, she broke into laughter.

"Cinna..." Lyn mumbled with a scowl. "Don't laugh..."

Still laughing, Cydney climbed onto Lyn's lap and wrapped her hands around her neck. As she spoke, her breath tickled Lyn's lips and sent a whiff of warmth down her neck. "If you want to marry me, just say so, Lemon Tart."

That sentence combusted Lyn's body into flames. She would have fainted if not for Cydney's intoxicating breath keeping her alive.

"What's with that stupid nickname?" she grumbled, her voice quivering like her heart. "And I'll ask you properly soon, I promise you."

A smirk—a freaking smirk—crawled across Cydney's face. "I'm looking forward to it."

"Geez, you're such a tease." Lyn wrapped her hands around Cydney's waist, pulling her in for a kiss.

Cydney did not hold back—ever since their reunion a few weeks ago, Cydney had not held back. She tugged at Lyn's neck with one hand, deepening the kiss, driving Lyn insane; her other hand traveled down Lyn's body, tracing, pulling, teasing.

A tease. Everything about Cydney was a tease. Her tongue was as playful and taunting as her fingers, while her moan, interspersed with her heavy breathing, was music to Lyn's ears. Everything about Cydney made Lyn want to drop down on her knees right now, and propose.

Fuck. Work tomorrow was canceled; she was going to the ring store.

Cydney had just finished unbuttoning Lyn's top when the doorbell rang.

"Oh come on!" Lyn groaned. "Who the fuck is visiting right now?"

Cydney shushed her with a tiny smack on her head, before she got off the couch to open the door.

"We're just getting it on..." Lyn continued to grumble as she buttoned her shirt back up.

"Millie?" came Cydney's surprised voice.

"Hey, Cyd. Do you have a second? Can we talk? Or maybe go out for a walk or something?"

"Sure! Let me check with Lyn."

When Cydney turned around, Lyn was already dressed and standing next to her. "Hey Millie," Lyn greeted.

Millie merely nodded. Her back was hunched and her lips were pursed; even her hair drooped like wilted flowers. This was so unlike her usual cheery self.

"Lyn, can I hang out with Millie for a while?" Cydney asked. Her eyes added the word, "Alone."

Lyn frowned. "It's not safe for you..."

"I'm going to be with Millie. It'll be fine."

Lyn glanced at the Latina. While she trusted Millie and her strengths, something still nagged at the back of her mind.

"I've been stuck at home all day, Lyn," Cydney reminded her, with a small pout—an expression Lyn could never say no to. "I'll be with Millie, we'll walk around a bit in this neighborhood, and then I'll be back for dinner. We'll be fine."

Lyn sighed and relented, "Sure, just come back for dinner, okay?"

Cydney nodded. "See you, Lemon."

"Wait, Lemon?" Millie asked as Lyn let out yet another groan.

Cydney gave the amused Millie a wink before dragging her out of the apartment. As the door closed, Lyn patted her shirt and headed towards the kitchen.

ϟ☁ϟ☁ϟ

A/N: After last chapter's random gory scenes, here's more doses of fluff and happiness! Hm, what's up with Millie, I wonder? ;)

9