Childhood – IV
1.4k 1 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Last chapter of the  rewritten Childhood Arc!

“Look at it dear, Dath'Remar! The single greatest academy of magic in all of Quel'Thalas!”

True to his word, Dath'Remar was very impressive. Rather than a single large building, the academy itself was a collection of medium sized buildings all connected by smooth stone paths that led to a single large tower. There were even few patches of flowers, and general greenery along with a pond or two. Students, instructors, mages, and guards went about their daily routines as we entered the academy grounds.

All enclosed behind large red stoned walls. As far as I could see, only a single massive golden gate allowed general access into this place.

The academy itself was located right in the middle of the divide between the Sun and Royal Quarters, just along the coastline. While I couldn't see over the walls while we walked, I bet if I got to the highest point of that central tower, I might be able to just make out the Isle of Quel'danas across the water; the island home of the Sunwell itself.

“I will grant you that the Violet Citadel may be more renown across the kingdoms in that regard, but-”

To be honest, I've been tuning in and out of Firebrook's ramblings on the way to the academy. I catch, maybe, every tenth sentence. He kind of went into full on lecture mode. Explaining the history of every damned little thing he could think of. I don't even know how he can talk so much and not need to slow down to breath. I'm genuinely tempted to say magic.

Making matters worse was this damn headache I woke up with this morning. It wasn't a migraine, but it was sure as hell not helping my mood.

I mean, I was grateful for all the help he's been the past few weeks. Getting me into the preliminary exam, the books, even the new fancy robes. I certainly couldn't have done this, and I am genuinely grateful for all his aid. That being said, he could learn when to read the room. As in, realize that not everyone is as interested in the little things he seems so enamored by.

“-and in the earlier years, the kings themselves were in attendance to-”

Getting all the way here, show me just how big Silvermoon is.

The game understated just how massive the city was. In the game, cities had to be large enough to show that this was a city, but small enough to not overwhelm players walking around. I’m pretty sure I remember reading something in my last life that said all of Azeroth, with all the expansions taken into account, was only as large as New York city in terms of square footage. Data limitations and all that.

In “real life”, there were no such restrictions.

Silvermoon had a population close to one and a half million people and was divided into a dozen districts called quarters. For example, I lived in the Dawn Quarter: basically, the central entrance to Silvermoon. It was one of the poorer areas of the city and was rife with brothels and street walkers given its nature as the ‘red light’ district for the city.

I think the only area worse off was the Ember Quarter, which was directly adjacent to the Dawn quarter, and seemed to be overflowing with crime. More of the rough and tumble kind that is. Drugs, murder, muggings, and all manners of other illegal activities. Hell, I even heard slaves were a thing there! The guards launched semi-periodic raids into the quarter to stop the worst excesses but think that most people have just given up and are only working to contain the issues rather than stop it outright.

By contrast, the Sun and Royal Quarters are among the wealthiest places in the city. The Sun Quarter was where all the wealthiest residents in the city lived. Filled with all manners of shops, cafes, high end apartments and mansions, along with all the other necessities the upper class may require. Which included, of course, the best mage academies. Incidentally, it also seemed to include some ritzy looking brothels; if the three I passed, who had girls with their ‘assets’ on full display earlier was any indication.

The Royal Quarter was smaller than the Sun Quarter, but was arguably the most important area of the city. It was the central nerve center for the whole kingdom. Playing host to the royal palace itself and the Convocation's primary building; a mix between government building, military headquarters, and high society club.

So yeah, I've crossed a threshold to a place where people like me, the poor, are not usually welcomed.

While I caught a glimpse of the Royal Quarter on the way here, Firebrook and I had to walk through the Sun Quarter to get to Dath'Remar. And that was an experience.

The Sun Quarter was a very ritzy area. Ritzy in that obscene disposable income sense. I saw the price for some pastries in a window on the way here, the cheapest was fifty silver! For reference, my best clothes were twenty-five silver. A single pastry, no bigger than a muffin, was twice as much as my best clothes! So yes, this was a very expensive area. And every building, without exception, was covered in the most overblown shades of red and yellow I've ever seen. Just to hammer home the whole 'sun' thing.

You know if a blind person was walking by.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'll be the one going blind if the sun keeps reflecting off that gaudy gold plating every time I walk through the quarter.

That is if this damn headache doesn't kill me first.

One thing that did stand out to me was the theme of it all. Or rather, the mixing of themes. A weird blend of Arabian styled architecture with stereotypical European fantasy elements. For example, the clothing worn by all the people around me was distinctly European; wizard robes, tomes, wands, staffs, etcetera. But the buildings look like they were taken straight out of “A thousand nights” with the whole dome top thing going on, the curves on the buildings, and transparent red silk hanging from almost every conceivable position; doorways, windows, balconies, and so on. And on the little I saw of the insides of a few buildings we passed, I looked pretty Arabian on the inside too.

“-but that is just my opinion. Magister Ilandros may not be the best speaker, but his unedited drafts were truly something to behold.”

This, the Sun Quarter that is with all its features, was the Silvermoon that people imagine of when they think of the capital of Quel'Thalas. Bright colors. Massive wealth. Clean streets. An objectively beautiful, well clothed, and healthy population.

And magic everywhere!

Brooms enchanted to sweep away trash wherever it may be. Large, smooth, gemstones floated ethereally in the air. Mana wyrms lazily floated around little bird bath looking things that emanated arcane energy. Guards patrolled side by side with arcane golems whose ever step shook the ground as they strode by. Some people even seemed to be using magic to have large amounts of ‘stuff’ float through the air following them as they did their daily business.

Within all of this, I felt out of place.

The streets seemed too clean. Everyone's clothing looked too well kept. Every building looked to be in peak condition, no sign of poverty or wear and tear anywhere. Everyone we passed wore expensive looking clothes. Children happily waved to passing guards, who waved in turn, rather than having stones thrown at them and being sworn at like I normally saw.

This was Silvermoon. But not the Silvermoon I grew up in.

“Syllia!”

Firerbook broke me out of my musings.

I looked up at the man, “yes?”

“We have arrived at the testing center,” he gestured to the building in front of us. A three-story building adorned with gold and floating red crystals. Seemingly like every other building we passed on the way.

“Oh,” was all I could say.

“I cannot go with you past this point. Just give the receptionist the card and they'll lead you to the testing room.” He put his hand on my shoulder, “Remember, your admittance is based entirely on your score-.”

'And only the top testers will be admitted into the general exam,' had to stop myself from finishing his sentence. He's been drilling that into my head for the past week.

He looked at me for a moment, “Just do your best. I have the utmost confidence in your abilities.”

I smiled, “Thanks, I'll certainly do my best.”

Smiling, he patted me on the shoulder one last time before taking a step away from me. “Remember, I'll take you home after the examinations are over.”

Then in a burst of light, he was gone.

'Can't wait until I can do that' I mused, staring at the spot he was just standing in.

But I had more important things to worry about.

Test now, teleportation later.

Walking through the front door, the lobby area looked about what I expected. Impressive and gaudy. Lots of gold and red. Other than the obscene wealth on display, it didn't look much different from the front office of a school from my first life.

I walked up to the front desk and waited for the clerk to address me.

“How can I help you?” She didn't look up from her papers. She looked young. But for elves that meant anywhere from twenty to a thousand. Her red robes seemed well maintained, at least from my non-existent knowledge on robes.

“I'm here to take the preliminary test,” I held up the card that Firebrook gave me this morning. About the size of a postcard, it basically said that I was allowed to take the exam. Even had a little magical inscription on it to show it was legitimate.

The clerk finally looked up, gave me a quick look over, and took the card. She examined it thoroughly; front and back, top to bottom. Once she was satisfied with it, she handed it back to me, “go down the hallway to room fifteen.” Then just as quickly as she took note of me, she returned to her papers.

Well, that was brusque.

“Thank you!” I replied as I made my way.

Half a minute later I saw room fifteen. The door was open.

I took in the room.

There were dozens of kids, maybe seventy or so, along with a few adults on opposite sides of the room. All the kids were sitting at small desks. Quietly whispering to one another. Books out for last minute studying. Some just sat quietly. Of course, many of them gave me a once over the moment I walked in, but quickly returned to whatever it was they were doing.

Looked like a stereotypical classroom. By elven standards at least. Lots of desks. Big, stained-glass windows to let light in. Some crystals hovered lazily near the ceiling generating artificial light. A clean chalkboard was at the far end of the room from where I was. A desk sat empty at the front as well, a large stack of papers was on it. Probably the test.

I looked to one of the adults, “where do I-”

“Anywhere that's open,” one of the few adults in the room awnsered me before I finished.

I thanked the man and made my way to an open seat in the middle of the whole mass of children.

I was sitting between two other kids, a boy and a girl. Both seemed dressed, like every kid in this room, in overly expensive clothes. They were looking over some notes, last minute studying seemed endemic of test takers, regardless of race or world it seemed.

So, I sat there for a time. Just getting my thoughts together. Occasionally another hopeful would enter the room, getting the same look over and quip I was given; so at least I wasn't the last one in.

After twenty minutes or so, hard to tell when the room has no clock, a man walked in.

“Your attention.” His voice was slightly raspy.

Everyone looked back to the door to see the, I assume, exam proctor. He looked old. Not nearly as old as Firebrook at least. But the ware and tare of time has certainly left its mark.

Wearing a plain red hued robe, tome in one hand, he scanned the room. Waiting for the last remnants of chatting to end.

“Now that I have your attention, the exam is about to begin.” With a single gesture, the packets from the desk flew across the room. One packet landing face down on every desk. “Should you wish to leave the room, before completing the exam, it must be handed in and shall be graded with the assumption that all incomplete questions are incorrect.”

He sounded monotone. Like he lost a bet or is just doing this because he is being forced to.

“Once the exam has begun, you shall have up to two and a half hours to complete it,” the proctor walked down the rows of seats, not even bothering to look at any test taker on his way. “Read the instructions in full and answer them to the best of your abilities. Once you have completed the exam, you are to place it upon my desk and exit the room. There, you will wait until called upon by one of the adjuncts outside.” He gestured to the adults who were here before him. “There is to be no talking of any kind while you wait. Remember that if you are caught in any act of foul play, the result will be your immediate disqualification from the exam process and a permanent mark upon your academic record.”

I heard some kid next to me gulp.

“Are there any questions?” He scanned the room. No reply. “You may begin now.”

In that instant, dozens of hands flip up their exams. The head proctor reached his desk at the front, muttering something to his assistants as he opened his book. I could hear the light scratching of quills meeting paper.

I was actually pretty nervous. How hard would it be? Taking a deep breath, I flipped my test up.

Quickly writing down my name, I gave the packet a once over. Eyeballing the questions and filling in the answers as they came to me. I flipped the page.

Something seemed off.

For all the difficulty that was touted. The stress in taking the test. The fear of failure. This exam looked easy.

Question 1: Name any three school's of arcane magic. (Enchanting, Transmutation, Conjuration)

Question 2: What is another term for Arcane magic? (Arcana)

Question 3: Name the first King of Quel'Thalas. (Dath'Remar Sunstrider)

Question 4: Which dragon flight is most closely associated with magic? (Blue)

Really easy.

Question 15: Briefly describe the function of the Sunwell. (Font of Arcane energy.)

Too easy.

Question 24: Write a grammatically correct sentence in any language other than Thalassian. (I know how to write in Common.)

Once I reached the final question, I had to double check the instructions.

Question 34: what is the essence used to fuel spells called? (Mana)

It felt like I finished this test in ten minutes.

I once got screwed over in my first life in a high school test because I didn't finish reading the instructions. On that test, it wasn't the questions themselves I was being graded on, but to see if I read the instructions. Because at the bottom of the large block of instructions my high school teacher put something along the lines of 'and if you have read this far, then simply turn your exam in blank to receive full credit.'

Boy was I pissed after that. Both for the teacher for putting that in, and at myself for not reading the instructions fully. Point is, I would not put it past some super school to put something like that in their instructions to weed out kids who just read ahead and those who listened to the proctor's instructions.

Because there is no way the questions are this easy.

I double, then triple checked the instructions.

No. I had been right the first time.

Was I missing something?

Putting my quill down, I checked the rate my fellow test takers were working at. The initial flurry of quills had quieted down. Substantially. To my left and right, faces contorted with frustration and confusion. Taking a risk to see if I was doing something wrong with mine, I subtly looked down at the test of my neighbor’s test.

And wow was he getting a lot wrong.

Apparently according to my neighbor, three schools of Arcane magic are teleportation, alchemy, and fire magic.

Right off the bat, a lot of things are wrong there. First, it's not teleportation but telemancy. Second, telemancy is not a school of arcane magic, but of transmutation, which is a school of arcane magic. Third, alchemy has nothing to do with arcane magic. And fourth, he put 'fire magic' as a school of arcane magic.

Feeling a tad cocky, I looked over to my other neighbor, I realized she wasn't much better off. On the question about dragons, she put her answer as ‘mana dragons’. Thankfully, she crossed out her initial answer of ‘magic dragons’.

Neither kid was that far into their respective exam.

What the hell are they teaching these kids. This school is supposed to teach the best of the best? This stuff is literally in the first few chapters of the books Firebrook gave me! These kids don't seem to know anything-

These kids, I frowned. That's right.

I glanced around the room again. This test… is for kids.

All of a sudden, any bluster I had fizzled out. My ego was brought back down to Earth, Azeroth, whatever. I was reminded that I wasn't actually an intelligent kid, I was an adult of average intelligence stuck in the body of a ten-year-old.

And my headache continued to drum in my skull.

So, I sat there quietly for some time. Staring at my exam.

----

I did eventually turn in my exam, after four other kids had turned their own exams in. Didn't want to seem like I had finished too quickly.

As I made my way out, I heard the proctor call to me, “wait.”

He motioned for me to come back.

What is it? I mused, as I walked to his desk.

When I reached him, he slid my test in front of me. A spar quill on the side and tapped the top.

NameSyllia

“Full name please.” He tapped the page again.

Full name? But that is my- . Right. Rich people have family names. And because I am here, I obviously just didn't put my family name in. Right.

Okay, time for the awkward part, “Sir I-”

“If you do not write your full name on the test, it will be thrown out.”

Well, that escalated rather fast.

Now then, do I go through the effort of telling him I have no family name? Or do I just make something up and sort this out later. After a brief moment of inner conflict, the second option won.

Taking the quill, I wrote the first vaguely elf-like, fantasy sounding, last name I could think of.

The test was scooped up from me the moment my quill left the paper.

The instructor looked down and nodded at my handy work. “Thank you, Miss. Dawnguard.”

As I exited the room, I saw that the door for the room directly across was now open. I saw the kids who 'finished' before me waiting. The room was identical to the previous one, just emptier.

From the clock in the room, I found I had 'finished' with two hours to spare.

So I just sat there.

None of us talked to one another. Or none of them talked to me since I heard a few whispers between them. But no real communication occurred between the group as a whole. Just a bunch of quiet, stressed-out kids in an empty classroom with a single adult in the back for supervision.

One more kid walked in, but that was about all that happened.

Then, thirty minutes later, the receptionist from earlier walked in. Clipboard in hand, she rifled through some papers. Not even bothering to look up, she addressed us.

“Congratulations for successfully completing the first half of the examination.” She droned off, the ‘congratulations’ with no real cheer in it. She didn't even bother to look up from her papers. “Each of you will now be given a room number. Proceed to the designated room for the second half of the examination.”

“Wait,” one of the kids raised his hand, “shouldn't we wait for others to finish?”

“Yeah,” another quipped, “there's only six of us here”

This question got the lady to look up, though the glare she sent their way made clear her view of it. “That is not your concern. You are to follow the instructions you have been given.”

Any further protest died right there.

She returned to her papers, “Zarenis Grandcloud, room two. Derath Peacebloom, room three. Matines Goldenburn, room five. Kyleen Silversand, room six. Syllia Dawnguard, room seven. And Sedyen Brightbranch, room nine.” Finishing her list, there was no further comment. She opened the door and ushered us out.

Looking at each other for a moment, we made our way out to our respective rooms.

Thankfully my assigned room was close by, and the door was ajar. I knocked in it softly.

“Yes, come in,” a soft voice replied.

The room was small. Books, scrolls, papers, and other things I couldn't name littered the office. All lit by the soft glow of mana crystals. At the end sat a man. Blonde haired, sharp features, clean shaven, wearing a clean pressed shirt. His spectacles shined in the soft mana glow.

He looked up from his work and gestured for me to come over. “Well come on girl, let's get this over with.”

I closed the door behind me and took a seat.

He rifled through the packet of papers before looking back up. “So, Miss Dawnguard do you want to tell me how did you do it?”

“Sir?” was all I could think of to say. Do what?

“Cheat on the exam.”

What!

He saw the confused look on my face, and sighed; taking off his glasses to clean a smuge with a small cloth fished form his pocket. “You managed to avoid tripping every single anti-cheating inscription written into every desk in that room.”

There were inscriptions on the desks? “Sir, I- I didn't cheat.”

“We know you finished the exam long before Mr. Goldenburn did.” He ignored any further protest. “We also know you waited approximately forty-two minutes after completing it to turn it in. To appear as if you completed your exam the mundane way.”

“But sir I-”

“Do not worry Miss Dawnguard, you are not in trouble.” He cut me off

What? Okay now I'm confused. “But sir, you're claiming I cheated.”

“Not claiming, we know you did,” he 'corrected' me. “That being said, you didn’t break any rule of the exam. You would be penalized for being caught, but you successfully completed your exam without any proctors seeing it or tripping the inscriptions. All the while under the watchful eye of said Inscriber who wrote them.”

Huh? My mind worked through the words. They're saying I cheated, but that I still passed?

“Dath'Remar is an institute that is dedicated to training mages, not priests,” he explained seeing my confusion. “You completed your exam while following the instructions to the letter. Even if your accomplice managed to get all the answers to you, and taught you to avoid the inscriptions, it still takes a great degree of skill to execute a plan like that. Especially for a girl as young as yourself. I would call that impressive.”

Wait a second, are they saying that my answers were too smart? That the only way I could have possibly done my work was cheating?

“But I didn't cheat sir,” I muttered.

He brushed it off. “Yes, yes. You didn't cheat because you weren't caught. And a society without laws has no crime. You don't need to be so obtuse about this, Miss Dawnguard.”

But. But. My mind was short circuiting.

“Rest assured, you passed the exam with full marks, and will be admitted into the general entrance exam in half a year's time.”

I was quiet for a moment. “What about the others? Did they pass?” I questioned.

The man gave me a good natured smile. “I can't speak on the other examiners behalf. All I know is that you are the only one who, without reservation, demonstrated the intelligence expected of a Dath'Remar applicant. They actually let me be your examiner because we all knew how quick this interview would be and I do have papers to grade before the day's end. But to answer your question, the others have potential, all they need to do is demonstrate it in their interviews and they will earn a spot in the entrance exam.”

I ran through his words in my head. Somewhat conflicted on being congratulated for 'cheating' so good that it amazed them.

Seeing my face, he sighed. “Miss. Dawnguard, out in the wider world everyone works to their own strengths. Some have money. Others influence. Fewer still have intelligence.” He took out a cloth to clean his spectacles before continuing. “If a situation is not to your strength, then work around it. Take my advice, never limit yourself to your own detriment. This is simply how our world works. Those who cannot realize this are either left behind or crushed beneath it.”

“I understand sir,” what else could I say to that.

“Good. Now I don't wish to rush you out the door, but I do need to get back to my assignments. Just be on the lookout for a letter in the mail a few days from now, it will provide all the information you will need for the entrance exam.”

I nodded, but as I made my way to the door, I heard him say one last thing.

“Oh and Miss Dawnguard!” I looked back. “One small critique, do take some time to clean up your handwriting. Some of the words seemed to blend into one another.”

I waited outside the building for an hour before Firebrook showed up to take me home. Rather than walk through the Sun Quarter again, he just teleported me to my front door and just as quickly left.

Wonder why he didn't do that in the first place.

Maybe he wanted to show me the sights. Impress on me the wealth outside of the Dawn Quarter?

I told Mom the good news of course. She was happy. I think. Took her a moment to respond, her face went from happy, to stoic, then back to happy. I think she's just a little nervous about me trying to get into such an elite school.

The rest of the day seemed to breeze by. Bath. Dinner. Studying. Small amount of practicing magical exercises. Reading. Sleep.

Sleep didn't come easy tonight. I tossed and turned in my bed from that headache that seemed to dog me the entire day. No matter what I did, no matter what I took, it just stayed there. Eventually, by sheer virtue of exhaustion, dreams claimed me.

And yet it felt like that damned headache persisted even in my dreams.

And thus the Childhood Arc is over, and the Exam Arc will begin next time!

For anyone curious about how the headaches will proceed this time:

Spoiler

The reveal for Old God interference is set for later, after some Old God nonsense occurs for a period of time. What exactly is that period? Well you'll have to read on to find out!

[collapse]

For anyone who is just reading these new chapters and has no idea why the other chapters all say "Old", that is to denote the Un-rewritten portions of the story. Reading them wont necessarily spoil what I have in mind, since a lot of the edits are just for pacing and interactions rather than wholesale changes to the plot, but be aware that if you choose to keep reading onwards, the exact events are very much subject to change in the path to said common plot. Just wanted to say that so I don't get comments saying stuff like "why is this happening twice" or "didn't this happen already?"

Anyway, next Arc should be posted in its entirely by the weekend.

28