Chapter 35: A Crazy Plan
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Steal cultivation manuals? Have you completely gone mental?” No. Nope. Never again will I be dragged in the crazy machinations of this maniac I call my friend.

“Pshht! Listen to me!” Rose glanced suspiciously to the left and to the right like anyone gave a fuck what we three nerds talked about. “You are already knee-deep into debt. Until you can afford a low-level manual you will be far behind in terms of cultivation. This is not acceptable! I need you, as my partner in crime, to toughen up.”

“Rose, I’m not your partner! All I want is a quiet and normal school life. Don’t make me reconsider our friendship.”

“What do you mean by stealing exactly?,” Lessandra said while probably asking herself what kind of girls she got involved with. 

Rose scoffed at that. “Look newbie, there are rules if you want to hang out with us-!” I smacked her right in her pixie-eyed face. “Ignore that devil. There are no rules but well, as you have seen we get ourselves in trouble more often than not.”

“You get in trouble. I only watch the spectacle,” said Rose.

No, I won’t react to that! Stay strong, Meadow! Instead, I only clicked my tongue. “Anyway, it’s true that trouble follows us.” I corrected myself.”Well, trouble follows me everywhere I go. Although I say at least half of my problems are rooted in this troublesome girl.” Sighing I poked Rose's cheeks. She answered with a self-loving grin.

Lessandra seemed to seriously consider the information she got. “My whole life I tried to do the right thing. I bend myself to be what my father expected me to be. I’m not scared of trouble. I’m more concerned about doing it half-heartedly. If we make trouble. Let’s go big!”

We were shocked. Neither Rose nor I thought the little lion to be so daring. After not getting an immediate answer she ruddered back. “Was that too much?”

“No that was perfect!” said Rose while suddenly treating her like an old buddy, “How about you come over to my humble abode after school and we talk about the details?”

“Your abode?” I interjected.

“Well, my home is your home.”

“It is MY home!”

“Details, details, my dear partner.

“I’m not your partner!”

The gong sounded declaring the lunch break was over, freeing me from the terror I call friend. “Song, you won’t deny me forever!” Of course, she had to have the last word. With a sloppy salute our way Rose took her leave.

I rubbed my temples while sighing. Did I imagine it or was she getting worse? Helplessly I shrugged toward Lessandra indicating my irritation caused by Rose’s whirlwind-like attitude.

She was clearly amused by our little ‘discussion’. But on our way towards the greenhouses, her face went back to her usual seriousness. “Was Rose joking?” 

“Sadly, no.” Another sigh was draining me of all the energy I had. “Rose is never joking if it involves devious schemes.”

“Let’s do it,” Lessandra said with burning greed in her eyes.

“N-no! I just want to enjoy a quiet school life. You two can do it. I pass!”

I waved her off and hurried on to the entrance of the greenhouses. Nope! I’m not going to be dragged into another crazy thing again. 

In front of me stood two greenhouses. One had milky glass I couldn't see through, the other had transparent glasses and the inside was divided into several sections. One looked like an idyllic garden. Palm Trees and giant, tropical plants with colorful blossoms were nearly reaching the ceiling. Curious flowers entwined the tree-esque plants giving off a mystical feeling. Another section was entirely filled out with razor-sharp bushes that grew human-head sized fruits. A worker in protective gear maneuvered through this field of death. In another section were various crops methodically planted, giving this Botany Club a feeling of solemn boring science. Yes, boring was good. Boring was perfect. I’ve had enough action for a while.

I opened the door to the milky greenhouse only to be attacked by a giant vine. Of course.

“Uaaaaaah,” I screamed while barely dodging, “What the hell!?”

Lessandra heard my scream and was by my side in a moment. “What’s wrong-!?”

The vine swiped again. I barely managed to jump over it but Lessandra was hit. She fell to the ground. I wanted to help her but a second vine attacked, blocking my way. I tried to parry it but its gross and slimy epidermis stopped the impact of my move. The vine slit down my arm and hit me in the ribs. Before I could rally myself it was already cut. 

Lessandra stood again rapier drawn. Her weapon looked like the extendable steel ones which could be holstered on one's belt, practical. She held the blade in front, body tilted sidewards and one hand behind her back. Regal, was the word that described best her appearance. Her bushy blonde hair was moving because of the spiritual pressure she emitted.  

The second vine attacked. She neither dodged nor blocked instead she took a quick step forward and confronted this strange foe head-on. Nature's fragile creation had no chance against the creativity of humankind to invent deadlier and deadlier weapons. Even a simple blade like the rapiers had accumulated. experience of thousands of weaponsmiths.

Damn, now I wanted a cool weapon too! “Thanks!” I said.

Lessandra shook her head. “No, no! My combat instincts aren’t nearly as amazing as yours Meadow Song. I think my weapon only was better suited against these vines.”

“Would you please stop calling me by my full name? Meadow is enough.”

She scratched her head. “Sorry, Meadow.” We both laughed.

“Meadow Song, huh? You are responsible for killing my treasured babies?” A voice appeared behind us.

I froze up. Oh no. “These vines were earthly treasures I cultivated for years!”

A glimpse back showed me the form of a small red-haired middle-aged woman with thick glasses. She wore ankle-high dirt-stained leather boots, wide beige cargos, and a blue west over a black woolen sweater. She waggled her finger disapprovingly. The gesture was imbued with so much spiritual force that we nearly toppled over.

The angry woman stamped toward the two dead plants and examined their status. She clearly wasn’t happy. I wanted to apologize. “I’m sorry. We-”

“No.” She interrupted me, not giving me a chance to explain the situation. “You went in and got attacked by those two cuties. Well, former cuties.” It looked like she was taking a moment to speak a silent prayer. “Instead of fleeing you stood your ground and defended yourself. Is that right?”

Lessandra and I exchanged a look and we both nodded. Now I have done it. I will get even more merits subtracted. My debt will grow into the sky at this rate. Yeah, sorry Mom, I tried. Might be time to think about a plan b.

“I like students who show some backbone! You’re in!”

“In?” Lessandra asked, “What does this senior mean with ‘we are in’?

“Silly, in the Botany Club, of course!” She stood triumphantly but when she noticed our confused looks she added, “I insist on testing every new student of mine and you two passed! Congratulations!”

Yay?

Sorry, for my haphazard posting. I think it will stay like this for a while. Real-life issues get in the way of writing :(

0