Chapter 33
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carl drummed his fingers impatiently on the table in the interrogation room while he waited. It was nearly an hour before Director Borshin and Alec entered. Director Borshin sat at the table across from Carl while Alec casually leaned against the wall and observed.

Director Borshin cleared his throat and said formally, “You’re being charged with accessing a Priority One restricted area. As you know, conviction of this crime will automatically bring your trader status into question, and a review will determine your continued eligibility.”

Carl was quiet for a moment before he spoke, “What area am I being accused of accessing?”

Director Borshin glanced down at his tablet before answering. “You were recorded accessing the Inner Sanctum earlier today without authorization. More charges may be pending upon further review.”

Carl looked at Alec. “You must be desperate to find her if you’re going to these extremes.”

Alec didn’t reply, and Director Borshin continued, “We’re prepared to dismiss all charges related to this crime for information on the whereabouts of Mistress Kayla Rath’Varein.”

“I’m sure you are, but I can’t help you.”

The alarm on the door beeped, and it slid open. Seara stepped into the room and glanced at Carl before turning to Alec.

“I believe there’s been a misunderstanding. I received the notification of their arrest, and I’m here to dispute the charges. They were in the Inner Sanctum at my request. I heard Veridian had returned to the towers and wanted to speak with him.”

Alec studied the woman for a long moment. “Are you prepared to make that an official statement, Seara?”

She inclined her head. “Yes, I am.”

“Very well,” Alec replied. “I hope you know what you’re doing.” He gave Seara a long look and then turned to Director Borshin. “Release them and take her statement.”

She gave him a curt nod, and Alec walked out of the room. Seara turned to Director Borshin. “Director Borshin, I’d like a minute alone with Trader Carl.”

Director Borshin acquiesced, leaving them alone in the room. Seara held up her hand before he could speak. “I apologize for any confusion. I must have forgotten to submit the notification of your visit.”

Realizing they were still being monitored, Carl forced a smile and stood. “No problem. It happens to all of us.”

Seara led him out of the interrogation room. “Director Borshin, I’m ready to give my statement. I trust you’ve released Trader Carl’s crew members?”

Director Borshin looked up. “Yes, Mistress Rath’Varein. They’re in the hallway waiting. If you’d care to have a seat, I can take your statement.”

Seara sat in the chair and darted a quick look at Carl, nodding toward the door. The meaning in her eyes was clear: she wanted him out of there. He had no idea what this was going to cost her, but she appeared to have control of the situation for the moment. Heeding her unspoken request, he headed outside to where Xantham and Veridian were waiting for him.

“Damn, Boss, that was a little too close.”

“Let’s go,” Carl replied, not comfortable with the listening ears around them. “I don’t want to talk here.”

1