Chapter 38
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Kayla changed into the clothing Director Borshin had retrieved, Carl waited in the living area with the other men. Alec was on his commlink, looking out of place in the trader applicant’s surroundings.

Rand poured everyone a drink while Alec spoke with Seara and asked her to meet him at his office. When he disconnected from the call, he accepted the drink Rand offered.

Carl looked at Alec. “I don’t get it. Why the change of heart? You were ready to put a bracelet on Kayla and now you’re going to take on the entire High Council?”

Alec took a drink and regarded him. Carl had the feeling Alec was weighing the merit in answering his questions. “My motivations are my business. However, I never intended to allow Kayla to wear a bracelet.”

“Then why did you hunt her down? Why didn’t you let her escape?”

Alec raised an eyebrow. “She belongs here. You may believe you understand her, Trader Carl Grayson, but you would be sorely mistaken.”

Carl’s expression darkened. “I understand her far better than you think.”

Alec chuckled. “Go ahead and enjoy her while you can, but she belongs to me. That’s something you won’t ever be able to change.” He put his glass down. “I’ll be waiting outside. I need to make a few more calls.”

Carl’s jaw tightened. He made a move to go after him, but Rand’s hand on his shoulder stopped him. Rand shook his head, letting him know it was a bad idea. “You know, I’ve been called cocky and arrogant in my life, but I don’t come anywhere close to that.”

Carl’s voice came out as a low growl. “I don’t trust him.”

“You don’t have to trust him. It’s whether or not Kayla does that matters. From all appearances, there’s something going on between them.”

“Going on between who?” Kayla stepped into the room. She wore a simple, white dress that stopped just above her knee. The light fabric moved with her as she walked and enhanced her femininity. The sight of her completely distracted Carl from his thoughts.

“It’s nothing,” Carl replied, not wanting to discuss Alec. “You look beautiful, Kayla.”

She looked down at the dress. “Why the hell don’t Omni women wear any practical clothing?”

Carl admired her figure. “From my point of view, I’m glad they don’t.”

Rand held up his drink in salute and added, “You won’t hear me complaining either.”

Kayla sighed. “Where’s Alec?”

“He’s waiting outside to take you to his office to meet with Seara. We should get going. Thanks for your help, Rand.”

Kayla kissed Rand lightly on the cheek. “Yeah, thanks for letting me crash here. You’ve been great.”

Rand’s eyes lit up, and he smiled at her. Carl chuckled, realizing she’d just charmed another soon-to-be trader.

“You’re definitely the most memorable Inner Circle member I’ve ever met, Kayla. If you two don’t mind, I think it would be best if I stayed here. Getting involved in Inner Circle business tends to have long-lasting repercussions.”

She grinned at him and headed toward the door. Carl stopped her. “Are you sure you want to do this? I don’t trust Alec.”

Kayla looked up at him, determination in her gaze. “I need to do this. Alec is the only one who can help me get those bracelets off.”

Carl frowned, wishing he had a better feeling about this. “I’m going with you then. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I was hoping you’d say that.” She smiled, slipped her hand in his, and they headed outside.

1