Chapter 45
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seara smiled in amusement at the surprised looks on Carl and Alec’s faces. “Excuse me. I’m going to join my daughter.”

Carl and Alec turned to glare at each other once again. Cruncher cleared his throat. “Well, that was exciting. If I wasn’t awake before, I am now. Anyone want some breakfast?”

Carl ignored him, focusing on Alec. “I don’t know what sort of mind games you’re playing with Kayla, but this needs to end. She doesn’t belong to you. If you hope to change that by creating some sort of mental connection with her, you’re wrong. It won’t happen.”

Alec looked at Carl with contempt. “You are an outsider and oblivious to our ways. Let me be clear so you don’t misunderstand. Kayla has always belonged to me and she always will. She may believe she cares for you, and on some level that might even be true, but don’t delude yourself into thinking you’ll ever be more than a distraction to her.”

Carl’s fists itched to wipe the smug expression off Alec’s face. The only thing that stayed his hand was his knowledge Alec didn’t truly understand Kayla. Trying to possess someone like her was like trapping sunlight in a jar. “Have you tried telling Kayla she belongs to you? I guarantee she’ll set the record straight.”

Alec looked amused. “I don’t need to tell her. On some level, she already knows. The only reason we’re not fully bonded at this moment is because I refused. One day soon she’ll come to me again and ask me to claim her. I won’t refuse again.”

Reason left him. Carl leaped forward toward Alec. He’d kill him if he touched Kayla again. Cruncher grabbed him, holding him back while Carl struggled against his grip.

“Boss, he’s an Omni. Come on, man. Don’t do this.”

“At least your crew has some sense,” Alec said coolly and walked out of the room.

Carl jerked away from Cruncher and punched the wall in frustration. He paced back and forth, furious for losing control and letting Alec get the upper hand. Cruncher rubbed his chin. “Look, the guy’s an ass, but I’m not sure this is the best way to handle it.”

“I’ll tell you how I’d like to handle it,” Carl fumed.

“I bet.” Cruncher clapped his hand on Carl’s shoulder. “A day or two more and we’ll be out of here. I have a hunch Kayla’s going to be coming with us regardless of what happens here. You have to keep it together until then.”

Carl ran his hands over his face. He just hoped she was still willing to leave after everything that happened with Alec a few minutes ago. He couldn’t get that damn kiss out of his head. “Yeah, that’s what she said this morning.”

“There you go then. He’s not worth it, man. Taking him on will only end badly for us.”

“Shit, Cruncher, what the hell is wrong with me?”

Cruncher chuckled. “My guess? You’ve got it bad for our little dark-haired firebrand.”

Carl rested his hands on the table and sighed. When it came to Kayla, he seemed to lose all sense of reason, and logic flew out the window. “Yeah, I do. I don’t know what the hell I’m doing anymore.”

“My advice is to ignore him. Kayla’s going to do what she’s going to do. But she had a point. This guy is trying to bait you. Don’t let him get to you.”

Carl frowned. “You’re right. Dammit, you’re right.”

“So how about that breakfast?” Cruncher grinned and lifted a brow.

“Yeah, sure. Why the hell not?” He didn’t need to leave Alec alone with Kayla any longer than necessary.

1