Chapter 48
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marcus shooed everyone away to clear a space around Kayla. “Security! Clear the room immediately.”

While the security officers scrambled to enforce his command, Carl relinquished his hold on Kayla. It pained him to let her go, but Alec had the best hope of reaching her. She’d been unresponsive since she collapsed, her breathing growing more and more shallow. Worry gripped him as he moved aside so Alec could assess her.

Seara hovered over them. “Is she all right?”

Alec shook his head, taking Kayla’s hand in his. “She went into the energy pool and deactivated my father’s source from there. I can still feel her, but it’s faint. If she hears me at all, she isn’t responding.”

Carl frowned, reaching down to brush Kayla’s hair away from her face. Her skin was cool and clammy to the touch. “Can you pull her out again like you did earlier?”

There was a long pause before Alec answered. “Yes, but the amount of energy required will most likely forge a complete bond with her.”

Carl nodded. He’d expected no less. “But you’ll be able to bring her back?”

“For what it’s worth, I know she loves you.”

Carl closed his eyes, lowering his chin to his chest in resignation. He’d rather see her with Alec than lose her forever. She deserved a chance to explore the possibilities life had to offer. He bent down, brushing his lips against hers. His voice was hoarse as he whispered, “Do whatever you have to do if it will bring her back.”

1