Chapter 22
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tiny stopped near a tree and sniffed the air. After a moment he looks back at his companions and gestures to them to follow. Aleks and the rest cautiously followed him as they scanned the surroundings and the sky. Horus and Ikaros kept their bows at the ready. The forest was a deep green with light breaking through the treetops now and then. The only sound was that of the group stepping on fallen branches and loose soil.

Ahead of them, a clearing opened up. Winston held his hand up and the group paused. His whiskers twitched as he looked back at them. 

“Stay close to the trees and avoid open spaces,” he said in a low voice. “The bats can pluck you right into the air.”

The party heeded his advice and stuck to the trees as they kept a watchful eye on the sky. Tiny kept to the trees on instinct as he led them further into the forest. He slowed ahead of them, garnering the attention of the rest.

“What is it Tiny?” Aleks whispered.

Tiny sat and trembled as he looked ahead. The rest walked up to him and scanned the surroundings. There were only trees and foliage around and no bat in sight. Aleks opened his mouth to say something when he heard it. The crying of pain and despair in the distance. He exchanged a look with the rest.

“We found them.” Phillip grimaced.

“Good job Tiny,” Aleks said as he ruffled his head.

Tiny calmed down a bit as he closed his eyes. Aleks turned in the direction of the sounds and then felt a weight jump on his back. He smiled as Tiny held onto him.

“Let’s go save some people.” he grinned.

A soft aye sounded out as they cautiously approached the origin of the cries. The trees became sparser and light became more frequent as the cries grew louder. Horus and Ikaros led the way with Damon and Kastor behind them. Aleks, Luke, Nike and Thanos held their flanks as they advanced from tree to tree. The two Otters, Winston and Phillip, had their throwing knives at the ready as they brought the rear.

Horus held up his hand in a fist, causing the rest of them to stop in their tracks. He crouched and skulked towards a nearby tree before peeking out. A moment later he turned back and indicated to them to move towards him. They crouched beside him and saw what he had seen. Multiple cages taller than a man littered the area surrounding a massive cave. The cages were filled with the townspeople of Middle Stop. They were the origin of the cries as they sported multiple wounds and were locked in. 

Three bats emerged from the cave causing the prisoners to cry out in alarm. One of the bats hissed at the other as they communicated. The other bats hissed back before they took flight and landed on a cage with its screaming occupants. With a mighty heave, they flapped their wings and lifted the cage into the air. Moments later they flew out of sight with the cages and screaming Draconians still in it.

“By Zeus,” Horus swore silently. “Where are they taking them?”

“As I thought. More soldiers for the new Dark King.” Winston muttered.

“How many bats are normally in a nest?” Aleks asked with Tiny peeking his head over his shoulder.

“I am no expert, but I would say close to twenty. Since they are so big.” Winston thoughtfully said.

“We will save them then,” Aleks stated, getting nods from his companions.

“I admire your courage lad, but there is a fine line between courage and stupidity,” Phillip said.

“It might be a mixture of both,” Aleks said and then turned to him. “But I know that if I don’t at least try, then I will always regret it.”

“We’re with you brother.” Luke flashed a grin at him.

“How do you propose we do this?” Winston asked.

Aleks looked at Horus. “Horus, any suggestions?”

“I might have a plan,” he said.

A while later the companions were in position. Standing behind a tree, Aleks watched the cave. In the time it took them to come to a decision, two other bats joined the first one that directed them. Like the previous time, they hissed at each other before they hopped on a cage. The cage barely lifted when a twang came from his left. Two arrows flew and two arrows found their mark. The bats crashed to the ground and tipped over the cages with their screaming prisoners. The last survivor screeched and turned to the cave. A spear penetrated its neck, turning its screeching into gurgling. Aleks looked back and saw Damon without a spear. 

“Good throw.” Aleks grinned at him.

“Lucius taught us well.” He said proudly.

“Remember everyone, stay close to the trees. If we move into the clearing we are easy pickings!” Horus shouted as he sighted his bow on the cave entrance.

A multitude of screeches echoed out of the cave as the bats reacted. Aleks pulled Tiny off him and onto a nearby tree.

“Stay there little friend.” he smiled at him.

He clutched his spear and stared at the cave as the sounds intensified. The loud flapping of leathery wings intermixed with screeches caused sweat to break out on their foreheads.

“Ready men!” Horus shouted. He pulled his bowstring taut with Ikaros following suit.

Winston and Phillip each had two throwing knives at the ready as they gazed intensely at the entrance. A brief moment of silence reigned. Then sudden movement as bats blurred out of the cave. Horus was already reloading when the first one appeared and it fell. Knives flew through the air and found their mark but not downing a bat completely. 

The vampire bats identified their position and took the sky to get out of their range.

“Spears! Defend!” Horus shouted as he pulled back and fired.

Aleks hugged the tree and scanned the sky for threats. A moment later a bat plunged in their direction but couldn’t dive down directly as the tree blocked its path. It flew past them and he punched forward with his spear, scoring a wound on its side. It screeched loudly as it took to the sky. 

Vampire bats decorated the ground as they continued their desperate battle. A cry of pain came from Luke’s side as a bat bit into his shoulder before a throwing knife bloomed in its eye. He clutched his shoulder and put his back against the tree. The bats sensed weakness and converged on their location.

“Hold on!” Aleks shouted and grabbed Horus’ shoulder and pointed to them. 

Horus nodded and directed his bow to their location. Aleks ran for all he was worth and arrived just in time to leap and pierce the flank of a bat about to bite Phillip’s head off. He nodded at Aleks in thanks and unholstered his trident. A bat fell at their feet with an arrow jutting out of its head.

Damn. Horus is good.

They fought the bats circling their position when Aleks looked up at Horus.

“Horus! Behind you!” Aleks cried out.

Horus looked behind him and jumped behind the tree. A massive vampire bat impacted the tree, pushing it to the side with its great bulk. It glared at Horus with its silver eyes and snapped at him. Horus rolled away, barely dodging the dangerous jaws and ran to them.

“Wait. Isn’t Tiny in that tree?” Luke asked through clenched teeth as he held his shoulder.

Tiny stood on one of the branches and slammed his small chest while belching. Daring the huge vampire bat to challenge him. It turned it’s silver eyes on him and rolled its head to the side in confusion.

“Tiny no!” Aleks shouted. He gripped his spear and ran with all his might.

The bat snapped up at him and Tiny barely dodged by climbing higher up. It bit onto the branch he was standing and broke it off completely, causing Tiny to fall. Fortunately, he fell on the back of the bat and grabbed its fur stopping his fall. The bat shook itself violently to get him off but a gorilla’s hands are strong, even if they are a baby.

Tiny’s distraction gave Aleks enough time to arrive and he stabbed the side of the bat. It did not pierce. The bat knocked him to the ground with his wing. Aleks felt the world spin as he got back up, his hand still gripping the spear. The bat charged him with a flap of its wings. He braced with his spear. The bat rammed him over and he hit the ground again. Shakily he got up and heard muted screams from his left. It was the only sound he heard that was loud enough to pierce the ringing inside his skull. He looked at his hand and noticed the spear was gone. Dazed, he unsheathed his sword and looked for the bat. The world became a bit steadier and his hearing returned.

“-eks! Behind you!” shouted Kastor.

He whipped his head around just in time to see the bat fill his vision. Out of pure instinct, he ducked underneath it. And moments before it completely passed him he stabbed into its smaller leg and held on. The bat pulled him with as they ascended into the sky. His hand slick with sweat started losing grip. With great effort, he pulled himself in and grabbed onto the fur. He pulled his sword out and put it in his mouth. his teeth bit down on the blade and he used both hands to pull him further up. Tiny was holding on for dear life and kept his eyes closed in terror.

The bat shook violently in an attempt to dislodge them, almost succeeding when Tiny lost his grip. Aleks caught him with one hand. Tiny looked at him with tear-filled eyes and hugged his back tightly. With sheer determination, Aleks climbed further up to the head of the bat. Suddenly the bat turned around and all he could do was hold on as his feet dangled in the air. It felt like forever for Aleks as he clung on for dear life with the screams of Tiny in his ear. The bat righted itself and all he could do was catch his breath. He readied himself to continue when something unexpected happened.

Bright colourful lights beamed down from the heavens lighting up everything in a kaleidoscope of colour. The bat froze up in shock. Aleks did not let this opportunity pass by and lugged himself forward. His knees locked around the neck of the bat and he held his sword in a double-handed grip. With a shout, he plunged his blade with all his might deep into the neck. The bat spasmed and started to fall. 

Aleks expected a plunge to his death. What he didn’t expect was a second of falling before they hit something. He righted himself on the bat and looked down. A greyish ground was beneath him.

Wait a minute, why is it wet?

He looked around him and noticed they were still in the sky. A massive fishtail flopped up in the sky followed by an enormous gush as water sprayed him from above. He looked behind him and saw a blowhole where the water came out.

This is. . . a whale?!

Suddenly the whale disappeared. A scream left Aleks’ throat as they began to fall again.

“What in the living hells is happening?!” he screamed.

His scream cut short as, after a second of falling again, they impacted grass. Aleks looked up and saw a woman with tribal tattoos sitting near a fire, looking up at him with shock. She looked around and saw they were in the air and screamed. Tiny screamed again, joined by Aleks as they looked at each other. The woman with the fire disappeared and they fell again. 

Looking down, Aleks could see his companions closing in on where they thought he would fall. Suddenly the bat with them on top of it was slammed to the side as a massive object bumped into them. He looked at where it came from and saw the back of a massive being pierced by a diamond tip spear. Golden blood spurted out from the wound as a waterfall of it fell. He watched it arrive and felt great power ooze from it. The golden ‘blood’ pushed them down to the ground and his vision darkened.

0