80. Return of the Ruins
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mole led the way for us by digging up the ground, creating a passageway large enough for all of us to pass through with ease. He led us in the explained direction with Elania making it a point to have him start the tunnel here, rather than at a site the military had previously battled in.

From what I could tell it looked like the mole was automatically imbuing enhancement magic on its claws. Not only did it allow for easy tunneling but the dirt and gravel that got pushed to the edges solidified into a proper wall. In one swift motion, he applied multiple layers of magic all at once.

The commute took several hours even with the escort. We ended up popping out into the existing tunnel system that we used to enter the ruins. I returned a nod from the mole as it left through another hole, having finished its task.

“We’re almost there this way everyone.” Alexa stayed up front following my lead as a light source while others held onto flares, ready to use them if needed.

We made it to an entrance albeit a completely different one to last time. Though that had nothing to do with the bright lights and spectacle in front of us. One could call me out for being a liar with how new and bustling the ruins compared to a normal night out in Avalon, minus the civilians.

Just as I attempted to wrap my mind around the sudden change, a flying disk no larger than a hockey puck whirled in the air. Ending with a sustained hover right over the ledge directly to our front.

An electronic voice and the holographic image of a young girl’s head formed above it. “Lord Balthazar awaits your arrival in the central temple, Volatis”

“Ah…Okay. Who exactly are you?” The first holographic device I’ve seen was the one the military had on hand. This one was somewhat similar but many times more advanced to compare.

“I am Iris, in charge of city functions and modeled to suit your likings.” Her name and appearance closely resembled Eris, all the way down to the point of having long black hair instead of short and brown.

I glanced at Eris awkwardly then back to the hovering face Iris several times and couldn’t help smirking from the similarities.

“If this face doesn’t suit you, how about this one, or--” Iris’s holographic image twirled into the face of those closest to me. Starting with Alexa then shifting to Tessa, continuing down the list of companions.

The facial features were spot on with Alexa’s being softer than her normal public demeanor.

“The first one is fine. It’s your choice!” The wink and suggestive behavior from each shift felt like she was toying with my heart.

“Very well, please follow me to the temple.” Iris’s voice swapped back to the robotic monotone voice after just imitating the others in near perfection.

Iris led the way without hearing a reply by hovering towards the base of the stairs leading down to the city, waiting for us to catch up. I noticed the differences of the city as we made our way down. There were more moving parts ranging from repair bots to cargo transport vehicles following predesigned paths along the roads. The biggest difference aside from the previous dusty ruins was the vibrant lighting, like someone had finally powered on the city's generator.

Instead of having to walk all the way to the temple on foot, an empty metallic transport vehicle arrived as we caught up with Iris. It looked similar to the government-issued vehicles but with the top half missing, providing a convertible styled aesthetic. I wondered what kind of plans Balthazar had in mind, though the new bustle here explained why he suddenly became busy during my first visit here.

I half expected a complaint to escape Eris’s mouth when the vehicles came to a stop at the start of the temple stairs. Something along the lines as to why the vehicles couldn’t climb the stairs for us…, or not this again. I even subconsciously began to lower my back for her piggyback ride, stopping to look at her.

She squinted her eyes and took the first step up without a word. “Alright, everyone let’s head on up!” I spoke clearly, following after her while attempting to decipher the mood and second-guessing if I did something wrong again.

“How are you holding up, do you need some water?” I couldn’t help asking.

No-…, I’m- f-fine…” Her voice was shaky, desperately out of breath.

We were two-thirds of our way through the staircase to the top. Her cardio was a disaster, I guessed her life as a slave had been one without much physical labor. Somewhat surprising but also not too far fetched since they only cared for her blood and magic.

Interrupting my thoughts was another bad premonition as I whipped my head back to the group, scanning for someone in particular. Selka! If it was this bad for Eris, then it was a danger to the whole group with Selka being nearby.

The tension in my body eased as soon as I noticed two people separated from the rest of the group, farther behind and lagging in pace. The person walking together with Selka was a surprise. It seemed like they were enjoying a peaceful climb conversing about random things.

Nathan stood within arm's length of her and wasn’t throwing himself on her. Seems they figured out something that could work to prevent the innate ability of Selka’s magic. It must have to do with his unique magic. He was able to weaken an opponent by siphoning their mana, at the same time strengthening his own reserves.

I’ll ask them later about the specifics but for now, they seemed fine though I continued to check on them every now and then.

“Yippeee, you’ve reached the top!” Iris congratulated with ecstatic cheering and a holographic firework show going off above her head. It was strange to see those emotions on a mimicked face. It only led to the thought of when I’d be able to see that kind of excitement from Eris.

Meanwhile, Eris on the other hand missed it, eventually arriving at the top with Tessa by her side.

“Okay, everyone take a breather. I’ll be right back.” Iris followed me inside the temple entrance, arriving at where the pedestal used to be situated with the ring on display.

“Where did the pedestal go?” The room was empty unlike to my last visit.

“It’s no longer required, simply connect with the ring to reach my lord.” I did as she said with a familiar vertigo placing me back into an empty white canvas spanning endlessly in every direction.

Special thanks, patrons: Ajesco

Please leave a rating or even better a review of the story so far. Thanks, everyone!

2