104. Point Chart
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re going to enter...” Eris spoke up, almost like the wheels in my head were beginning to audibly turn for her to hear.

“I haven’t even asked how the point system works yet or about the additional prize pool that’s hidden from the main screens.” The fact that I was defending myself already showed that my mind was already set on trying a fight or two if only for curiosity’s sake.

“I thought we had a purpose for coming here. Weren’t you going to figure out who’s in charge of this place?” Eris tried grounding me with logic.

“Yes, I haven’t forgotten.” I smiled. “What’s the best way to grab head honcho's attention other than to make a really big scene he can’t ignore.”

Eris had nothing to respond to that and let me continue the questioning with the receptionist.

“Is there an average amount of points that are issued per fight, how does it work exactly?”

“Events will be posted ahead of time that can be browsed at any of the many kiosks located throughout this building. Points are based on the difficulty, with a guaranteed minimum for each given rank. Any additional negotiations must be discussed with me or any other receptionist.”

She brought up a chart on the front-facing panel pointed at us on the counter. A ranking system from the lowest D, all the way to the toughest S+ difficulty. The points ranged from one thousand to one million. Completing a single S+ ranked event would grant you enough points to purchase the flight restriction permit right off the bat.

“What kind of negotiations are you talking about..., like handicaps to increase the difficulty?”

“Exactly, your thought.” The receptionist went over multiple ways to add extra points to a given event. “Things such as limiting weaponry or even banning magic. Anything you can convince us that would create more excitement for the audience.” I wasn’t going to miss this blessing in disguise. She mentioned a no magic and no weapons match would garner a ton of additional points. I needed to know a good estimate for such a fight.

“What would be the point estimation for a solo battle against that rhino beast from earlier on the condition of using no magic and completely unarmed?”

“That would be…,” There was a pause and I wasn't sure if it was a shock to hear or her beginning to internally calculate. “That ten-man group fight was limited with only contact magic through a shield and short sword and was a D-rank battle.” D-rank, I looked back down at the chart and found it only provided a measly one thousand points.

“A solo match would bump it up to a C, further adding in unarmed combat would set it as a B-class event.”

“And beating it without the help of magic?” The way she was slowly figuring out everything had me brimming with anticipation.

“A no magic clause is the highest multiplier stated and a times ten to the base point reward for the rank.” I was about to return my sight to the handy point chart but didn’t have to as she figured it all out for me.

“You'll obtain one hundred fifty thousand points for completing a B-ranked event.” The receptionist exhaled that mouthful. “Adding in the multiplier to the base points would make the total come out to a million and five hundred thousand points.” My anticipation turned into excitement and I did my best to hide it from my face. Beating the Bi-horned Rhinoceros was going to be a tad lengthy using just my fists, but it was totally doable. There were no worries when it came to his sleep magic since I could resist it without any side effects. Aside from that, the beast was too slow to do any harm so it was like a total sitting duck against me.

The woman thankfully remained silent as I turned my attention back to the chart on the screen facing us. Now if I could do the same for an A-rank that would make it four and a half million points and for an S-rank battle it would raise to seven million points. It was more than enough to do a single battle with those conditions applied to buy everything I may want from their prize pool.

I wondered what other kinds of conditions caused fights to jump ranks like that, other than limiting weapons and people. It seemed there was a lot to find out before I took the plunge into racking up points.

“Sorry for all the questions, just one more.” The woman nodded her head as if it was not a problem at all. “Could I see the additional prizes not listed on the screens?” I was preparing my heart for the many zeros that were about to follow.

“Of course.” With a few touches to the panel on her side, a list replaced the point chart that was being shown to us. “These rewards aren’t always available and the list is constantly updated which is why it is not shown on the main screens.” That sounded like an excuse to hide the outrageous prices each of them cost.

I was beginning to kick myself for thinking one million points was a lot. The cheapest item listed was a similar one-time slave token that cost five million points instead of the first one for a fifth of that price. I truly wondered if the point-to-money ratio made that deal worthwhile. I could understand buying the first token for one million points. I guess it all came down to and depended on the quality of slaves they acquired.

Next was skill books of different element types, all hovering around eight million points. That made me think about if the ones given to Eris as a reward for beating the trials were worth as much. A high chance they were most likely more valuable due to them being in Balthazar's possession.

Plenty of weapons and armor sets were thrown in there at varying prices. It seemed like things that we acquired through the trials were hard to come by. I took a moment to properly thank Balthazar for once. I didn’t have to worry about wasting points on any of them and could save it for items that acted more as coupons to redeem.

The only other thing that caught my eye was the one listed all the way at the end for a crazy one hundred million points. Auction House Token was the item's title. The woman said it allowed the first pick in the auction and that they would purchase it in my place, no matter the cost.

The possibility of the item being a good investment was slim anyway you looked at it and felt like that was just there as an end game point dump. Something no one was ever going to reach. I didn’t give it another thought and moved on to an important note that I missed prior.

A simple rule stating money-to-point conversions were not allowed and the only way to get points was through their event and gambling systems in place.

I thanked her several times for all the help she offered after all the many questions she probably repeats for every newcomer. My aim was to find the nearest and unused kiosk to see the events that were available to choose from.

“Over there, master.” Selka spotted one before I did, almost like she was surveying ahead of time.

I moved first and thanked her quick thinking, reaching the kiosk to find welcome words and a big fat button that needed to be pressed to see all of the available events.

Slightly late, but I'm liking the direction of the story. What do you guys think, any ideas you think might be good to add in or go over?

0