Chapter 0087
1k 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 0087

Asclon Burvet, the Guild Master of the largest mage guild in the Magus Alliance, the Eternal Spirit Guild, truly regretted the day when he took on the Guild Master mantle.

Back then, he was but a simple mage with 68 water affinities and 70 earth affinities. His affinities allowed him to make the cut to become a mage, but compared to his compatriots with affinities in the 80’s and a few in the 90’s, his prospect wasn’t impressive. He’d somehow caught the eye of his master, Ranaveu Grainlier, the previous guild master and was meticulously groomed to be the next guild master. Asclon thought there would be objections he had to overcome to become the Guild Master, yet to his surprise, his ascension to Guild Master was met with overwhelming approval.

Looking back at his young self, Asclon realizes he was truly stupid back then.

Ranaveu chose him over everyone else due to his steady personality and his mediocre prospect. Those with earth and water affinities were known for their calm and steadfast nature. Asclon was and still is calm and steadfast. When he was younger, gullible was also added to his personality, although he lost that part of himself ten days after taking office.

He’d often wondered why such a great position landed on his doorstep. Now he knew why his teacher bypasses everyone else and singled him out. A genius wouldn’t pay attention to the outstanding benefits a Guild Master receives. A genius would also realize something was up and refuse, and in the case of the other prospective Guild Masters Ranaveu tried to train before, run away.

In fact, one of the bastards fighting with another elder in the guild was one of those potential guild masters who ran away. The bastard didn’t come back until he learned that Asclon became the Guild Master.

The other mages either had family or sect connection which complicated the matter or their personality was not suitable for the position.

“If I had those connections, I would have wisen up much earlier and refuse the position! What exalted position? What image of the guild? What, the most powerful mage in the Magus Alliance. It’s all hogwash and horse shit! I’m a glorified babysitter!”

Asclon glanced around the supposedly respected Council of Elders of the Eternal Spirit Guild and shook his head in embarrassment.

In one corner of the room, a handsome middle-aged man flirted with a young woman who looked like she barely hit puberty while in another corner, two old brats were engaged in fistfights like two naughty children. Then there were the ones who blatantly slept through the whole meeting. They were the better ones among this bunch of rascals. At least they didn’t give him any trouble.

“Can’t you bastards act your age? Everyone here was over five hundred years old and you still squabble like children.” Asclon reprimands these old geezers even though a few of them look much, much, much younger than him.

“Now, now Lonnie, no need to throw a hissy fit. You’ve put up with us for hundreds of years already. Haven’t you gotten used to it yet?” Mac Divdiel, a handsome twenty-something young man with blue hair streaked with brown gently chided.

“If you didn’t flee to a land unknown, I wouldn’t be saddle with this joke called a guild,” Asclon yelled but immediately felt guilty. The guild wasn’t bad. It was actually a decent guild to join. The rules were outlined and obeyed and the members were nice and somewhat obedient. Trouble crops up here and there, but what guilds don’t have their fair share of problems. No, Asclon’s headache was caused by the Council of Elders.

“How dare you malign my good name. I’ll have you know, I was schemed against when I was in the secret realm and couldn’t get out until the door opened again.” Mac said in a dramatic fashion. No one believed his claim, least of all Asclon.

“Then how about you take over the guild master position?”

“Oh hell no. I’d rather be eaten by a swarm of Night Ants-”

Smack.

Teric Yuven Tremen, a jolly blond man smile brightly at the irate Mac, “Your true intent was showing again, Mac.”

“Ah, thanks, man.” Mac turned towards Asclon with a sincere and honest face and said, “I would never dare disrupt the fine working of the guild by challenging you for the position of Guild Master.”

Asclon might have believed him - hundred of years ago! The damn bastard creates scandals after of scandals and leaves a mess for him to clean up. Women fall for that honest look he gives never expecting him to be, as one woman put it, “... a two-faced liar who deserved to be tossed in the Endless Abyss for the sake of all women.”

“Guild Master, how can you say such a thing,” Mac said dramatically then turned to Teric for comfort only to be smack in the head again.

“Thanks the spirits I don’t have to deal with you guys anymore,” Asclon said while rubbing his temples.

“No! You can’t quit.”

“Guild Master stays!”

“The guild won’t last long if you step down.”

"Nooooo, who going to clean up after us?"

A long wave of entreaty came forth from the guild elders as they beseech him with heartwarming if not empty promises to behave. Although this group of misbehaving miscreants causes an endless amount of trouble for Asclon, he never wants anyone else at his back when facing a legion of devils.

“Asclon are you really stepping down without appointing a successor?” Ranaveu asked in a panic. If Asclon was to step down with appointing a successor, then the position of Guild Master reverts back to him. He’d gotten used to laid-back life of cultivating and more cultivating that he didn’t want to back to being the Guild Master.

Asclon glared at the swindler he called a teacher. It was this man’s fault he was in this position today. He can’t deny the good things his master has done for him, from protecting him from his enemies, training him so he can take revenge to find a good wife for him.

Asclon sighed, “What I meant is Cardis has sent word that he is coming back with his Successor in tow. He’ll be staying here for a while to train her. You lots are going to answer to him if you misbehave.”

Relief spread through the crowd.

“Don’t go scaring us like that.”

“It’s just Cardis. It’s not like he won’t understand.”

“Hmph, Cardis even join in the merrymaking. You guys remember the time he flirted with the wife of the Guild Master of the Reverent Research Guild?”

“Causing trouble outside the guild is merrymaking to you bastards! See if I bail you out again!” Asclon might have been angered at their antics but he was looking forward to Cardis’ return to get angry at them.

“Say, what so special about the girl that Cardis decided to make her his successor?” a redhaired woman in tight fighting black leather outfit asked. She was a fire mage and had a contentious relationship with other fire mages, however, she gets along swimmingly with Cardis. They both have their issues and limits. Each side respects the other and never cross the invisible lines the other set, hence her interest in Cardis’ future successor.

The question stopped everyone in the rooms. As one, they turned to look at Asclon expectantly.

They weren’t paying attention before because a mage taking on a student was common and not worth noting. Cardis was a different story. He is the beloved Son of Inferno, loved by the spirits and power within his own rights. Cardis has been a legend in the Magus Alliance for over a millennium and is still acknowledged as the most powerful mage in the Magus Alliance.

There might be some old fogies that haven’t ascended who can challenge him for the title, but they have to fight a life and death duel to determine the outcome.

Furthermore, over his long life, Cardis has never taken a student. He always claims they were a burden on his carefree lifestyle and immediately pushed the promising young mage onto another mentor. A few of the Elder here were originally rejected by him for some reason or another.

They were all curious as to who could make Cardis break his unspoken rule and take her on as a student.

“He said she didn't realize it yet but she is a True Daughter of Storm.”

28