Chapter 0132
717 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Last chapter for the day.  Will continue with regular schedule starting tomorrow.  

 

Chapter 0132

“Odd Squad!” Tempest cheerfully volunteer to name their group, only to be met with a resounding no from everyone. “I’ll have you know, Odd Squad is the name of a powerful group of people who later goes on to save the world.” Tempest continued with her pitch.

Everyone simply ignored the silly little girl who would sell her pride for a few pieces of silver.

“Myriad Mages came up recently. The previous group was pretty good. Too bad they met mishap after mishap.” Graden suggested.

The Eternal Spirit Guild forbids any group from having the same name. Once a group registers their group name, they are stuck with until all but one of their members dies. The rules stipulate all but one because one person is not a group. The rule also states the member must be dead. Those who are missing or goes back to their domain remain a part of the group.

The rules only apply to official members of the guild. New recruit register for temporary names. Once they become official members of the guild, they can choose to either retain their group name or join another group.

“M&M? Candy? You want us to be named after sweets? Sure, I’ll go for it. I call blue. Who’s going to be the yellow peanut? Oh yea Fenix, you take red.” Everyone ignored Tempest but in their hearts, they already decided not to take the name. Most groups do not want a recycled name. They feel like the name will jinx them to follow in the footsteps of the previous owners.

Also, any group name associated with money or food is out. They have no desire to be called foodie or money grubber even though one of their members is both. She might have thrown away her dignity for a few silver coins, but they want to keep theirs.

“Supremacy is a good name.” Bei Ting Mao offered.

“No way.” Tempest rejected the name. “I don’t want to be chased by idiots trying to kill me because they think they can make a name for themselves by doing so. A tall tree attracts the wind. A name like Supremacy is like a gauntlet thrown in the middle of a town square, inviting all challengers posse up at high noon for a shoot out. I like to live to a nice old age if you don’t mind.”

“On that thought, Dominion is out huh?” Yu Li Ming said. She had to ask because although she got the gist of Tempest’s statement, she doesn’t fully understand the connotation behind the idioms, metaphors or similes Tempest is using. The fact that she doesn’t know if it is an idiom, metaphor or simile shows how confusing Tempest is being.

“Unless you want to be hunted down and killed for being an arrogant bastard, sure, take the name. When you hear the group name Supremacy or Dominion, you’d want to challenge the group as well. And if they act a bit uppity, you’d want to kill them.” Tempest sarcasm was unwarranted, yet on point. Even they would want to challenge the group who is daring enough to take those names.

“What about Burn Them All?” Tempest was glad another person suggest a stupid name. She gets the chance to stare at the person like they are stupid with the rest of the group. “It doesn’t have anything to do with power.”

“Of course you can name your group that Fenix. You and the other fire mage dumb enough to join your group.” Graden shook his head like one of those fun Chinese rattle drums Tempest wanted so much when she was a child yet despise as she grew older. “The rest of us will continue to pick a name for our group.”

“Hey Starm, what do you think is a good name for our group?” Tempest decided to toss the problem to the most neutral member of the group. With those fat, chubby cheeks and small soft body inviting cuddles, even Tempest finds it hard to pick on him. If only he had normal eyes.

“Celestial Ascension,” Starm said wistfully.

Bei Ting Mao and Yu Li Ming nodded happily. They like the name because it draws upon their heritage while Gradon and Fenix liked it because they want to become an immortal and ascend to a new plane.

“Oh, nice one Starm. I knew I could count on you to be neutral in the important things.” Tempest praise the token bun. “Celestial Ascension it is. Everyone should thank Starm for breaking up this boring stalemate.”

“Tanks Sis Tempest for the praise.” Starm blushed innocently and hid behind Yu Li Ming.

“I give praises when it is warranted and you deserve it,” Tempest said endearingly.

“He doesn’t have any more silvers on him,” Fenix said dryly.

“Who says I’m praising him, fishing for silver?”

Everyone looked at Tempest with a disbelieving expression. They already saw how the silly girl sold her dignity for a few pieces of silver. Worse, the silvers were hers in the first place! Flattery and bootlicking aren’t above her.

“I’m not you know! Do you know how hard it is to choose a name? I watched an idiot staring at the computer screen for hours trying to think of a name for his character. When he finally decided on a decent name, the popup screen for ‘Name Already Taken’ shows up and he has to choose another name.”

“Computer screen? Pop up screen? What are you talking about Tempest?”

“Whatever.” Tempest brazenly skipped over their questions about the technology from Earth. Those days are far behind her. “Now that we have a name, what job did you pick?”

“However many people in the group are how many tasks we can take. There are leniencies for new recruits. We can fail up to ten tasks before penalties are involved. These tasks were deliberately set aside for new recruits. It is used to encourage bonding among group members.” Bei Ting Mao explained mostly for Tempest and Yu Li Ming’s benefit. Graden and Fenix know about the Assignment Center and its rules and limitation. As for the token bun, he doesn’t care about their tasks.

“I’m not asking about the rules of the Assignment Center. I could care less about it. What I want to know is the assignment you chose for us to do.” Tempest hurried Bei Ting Mao along.

“We are to pick 7 Star Herbs, 20 Terran Weed, 2 Fire Fruit and kill 50 Earthen Wolves, 10 Rock Snakes, and a Terror Hawk.”

“I don’t know anything about herbs.” Tempest honestly reports her shortcomings to the group.

“It’s fine. Most of us don’t know much about herbs either. We can study the Encyclopedia of Plants and Herbs at a later date.” Fenix put her hand over Tempest’s shoulder as a show of camaraderie.

“My earth affinities allow me to determine the general location of plants and animals within a certain distance as long as they have touched the ground. I’m not as proficient at identifying plants as a mage with the slight potential to become an alchemist, but I am not completely clueless.”

“Me, me, me.” Starm acted like a hyperactive kindergartener trying to get the teacher’s attention by energetically waving his hand in the air.

“Yes, Starm?” Yu Li Ming asked the energetic little boy. Despite his blatant favoritism towards Tempest, she still adores the incredibly cute little boy. He’d be cuter if he’d fatten up a bit.

“Me. Me. Me.” Starm continues to wave his arms, ignoring Yu Li Ming. Yu Li Ming isn’t affronted by his blatant favoritism. After learning how his power worked and his need for Tempest to regulate the power he must reabsorb, Yu Li Ming figured the little boy would do anything to gain Tempest’s favor, and thereby her assistance.

“Yes, Starm?” Tempest address the token bun in a sickeningly sweet manner.

“I see, power, I know everything. Can use with Mo’s power. I find all herbs Sis Tempest want.”

“You can combine your abilities with mine to sense everything within a certain distance?” Bei Ting Mao had to clarify before everyone starts doing a jig. Their combined power would be amazing if they can sense everything connected with the earth within a certain range.

Mages envy the cultivators from the Heavenly Mountains because of their ability to scan their surroundings. They don’t have to waste their time physically searching an area for treasures. Scan, find treasures, head directly for treasure, profit.

Unless a mage manages to learn how to combine their senses with their elements, they are stuck to physically searching for the treasure.

Combining one sense with the element is not an easy thing to learn. It is rumored that Cardis can’t combine his senses with the elements and he’s the pride and joy of the Magus Alliance. If they could learn the skill with a little assistance from Starm, then they can easily kill anyone. Mages excel at long distance attacks.

“Can do. Can’t use too much. Balance.” Everyone looked at Starm as if he is the greatest treasure in the world. Not only can he enhance their cultivation, but he can also enhance their skills as well.

Tempest didn’t care about the cultivation part of the skill parts. She can get everything from her spirits. She doesn’t need to rely on Starm for it. Her interest lies in Starm’s analysis abilities. She is going to pick his brain when she gets the chance.

“Okay, now that we know what we are looking for, let’s head out.” Tempest headed for the door but turned around when everyone stayed where they are. “Come on, let’s not burn daylight.”

“We can’t set out until tomorrow. We haven’t prepared anything for the trip yet.” Fenix explained.

Drat!

20