Chapter Nine
184 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning my father calls a pack meeting and has everyone gather in main house. Thankfully no one from our pack was killed last night, but there were a few seriously injured. Still in a daze from the events of last night I struggle to concentrate as everyone gathers in the main hall. Linda brings me a cup of coffee which I gratefully accept, after a few sips I start feeling better. After everyone arrives my father address the pack.

"You all know why I've called you here, the attack last night took us all by surprise, but what you may not know is that it wasn't just an attack on us. They attacked all major packs in the region the council included."

A few shocked murmurs broke out, my father raised his hand and they instantly quieted down.

"First let me just say we were lucky, apart from a few injuries we managed to not lose anyone and that's mostly because of these two."

My father extends his hand and Alice and Cora walk up looking a bit embarrassed. Claire steps up to speak.

"It's true, without them we would have been severely outnumbered. It was dumb fucking luck that they went on patrol with us last night."

"So, on behalf of me and my pack, thank you." My father says with a bow and the pack follows suit.

As I bow with everyone else I can see the girl's faces are full of pride and bow back.

My father raises his head and looks to the pack again.

"I would also like to acknowledge and commend our newest pack member for saving one of our own." My father looks to me and I realize what he just said. "Caden." My father calls me forward.

Surprised, it takes me a few seconds to gather myself up. As I walk towards my father I get a few claps and pats on the pack from members as I pass. When I reach my father, he looks at me with such pride.

I can't believe it, this is it, my dream come true. After years of hoping and wondering if I could or even deserve to be in the pack. I feel a weight lift off my shoulders, feeling so light and happy I wanted to cry, but I shake it off, now isn't the time.

"To Caden, our newest pack doctor!" My father exclaims.

The room erupts in cheers, out of nowhere my mother comes out and hugs me followed by the girls, my brother and Claire.

My father raises his hand again to quiet everyone down.

"Now, as Claire said before it was just luck that these two were with us last night. From what I've gathered so far other packs weren't so lucky. I'm hearing that many wolves were either killed or captured."

"Captured?" One of the pack members asks.

Charles responds. "Yes, from the way the attackers ambushed us and fought, it seems capturing was their priority, killing when not possible."

"But why?" Asks another member.

Charles looks to my father who gives him a reluctant nod, from there Charles tells everyone about the White Moon pack. Many were shocked by this new information while others were angry this was kept from them. After explaining that at the time they weren't sure the White Moon pack would be coming this way and didn't want to cause a panic, the pack settled down.

"The community meeting today is going to be very important, we got a lot of question and very few answers." Claire pipes in.

"Yes, but there is a pack that may have some answers." My father says.

"Who?" I ask.

"The Thorn-apple pack." My father answers

My body stiffens from hearing the name of Keira's pack.

"How?" Asks Alice.

"The Thorn-apple pack actually escaped their territory when the White Moon pack attacked. Their the ones that warned the Blackwood and Evergreen packs and got them to head here. A big part of the community meeting will be finding out what they know about the White moon pack and what we should expect next." My father answers.

Geez, I had no idea. I keep forgetting that I really don't know anything about Keira or her pack, they must have gone through hell.

"I don't think we can leave our land undermanned. I believe that anyone not going to the community meeting needs to stay here on standby." Charles states to my father.

My father agrees and approves of Charles suggestion. He looks towards the girls again.

"Given the situation, I know it's a month early, but I would like you to seriously consider joining our pack now." Shocked the girls are lost for words. "I know its sudden but please take a couple of days to think about it." My father quickly adds.

The girls just nod.

The rest of the meeting was just patrol assignments and changes. As we finished I received a text from Peter.

U still down 4 prty tonight?

Shit, I completely forgot about the party.

"You should go." My mother's voice says from behind me.

"Mom, I don-"

"You need to celebrate and who knows when or if you'll get another chance." She says solemnly.

She was right, with the White Moon pack here and the fighting that's to come, dark days were ahead of us.

"Fine, but only after the community meeting." I tell her, a bit happy I get to go the party.

It was late afternoon when we headed out for the community meeting, the only ones going were me, dad, Lucas, Charles, Claire and the girls Alice and Cora. The meetings are held deep in the woods in a small arena built with the approval of all the packs. The arena is fenced off and marked as private property to keep humans out, the road leading to it is hidden and can't be seen unless you know where it is. When we arrive the parking lot is already full, forcing us to park in the woods. As we walk toward the entrance a can see dozens of wolves crowded around the doors as they make their way inside. Some were friends catching up while others were rivals sizing each other up after the events of last night. As we make our way up to the entrance the other wolves immediately clear a pass for us. As part of the council our pack commands a certain amount of respect. It also doesn't hurt that my father and our pack have been proven to be among the strongest wolves in the region.

"Caden!"

I turn to see who called me and I'm surprised by who it is. "Javier?!"

As the rest my pack goes inside I stay behind to wait for Javier, Alice and Cora wait with me. When he reaches me, we give each other a quick bro hug and shake hands.

"Where's your brother?" I ask him.

"He was right behind me." Confused, he turns and calls out in his heavy Spanish accent. "Miguel! Where you at?"

"I'm here don't get your panties in a wad." Calls out a voice from behind a crowd of wolves, his accent just as strong as Javier's.

"What are you guys doing here? I thought you had gone to visit your pack for the month." I ask

Javier and Miguel aren't originally from Crestwood, their father sent them to school here to help build relations with other packs. Their father is the alpha of the Menos pack, their territory is far east of Crestwood where they, with the help of other packs, guard the boundary.

"We were, but big things are happening on the other side of the boundary. Stuff your father and the council are going to want to hear." We move away from the crowds so that we can talk.

"What going on? Are the vamps making a move on the boundary?" I ask Javier

"Not exactly. How much do you know about the vamps?" Javier asks.

"Not much." I admit.

Vampires like werewolves have been grossly misrepresented in the media. Like werewolves' you must be born a vampire, they're not made by some crazy infectious disease. Vampires do need blood to survive, but they need blood from other vampires usually of the opposite sex, human blood is just too weak it can't sustain them. And while sunlight doesn't outright kill vampires, it does weaken them considerably. A long time ago a truce was struck between them and us, we stay on our side of the boundary and they stay on theirs.

"Well the main thing to know is that the vamps have a king, like us they have their own packs called covens, but they all answer to the king and his coven. Recently it seems a war has broken out between the current king and another coven." Javier explains.

"Holy shit." I hear Alice say behind me.

"A few days ago, the king sent an envoy to the boundary asking for our help." Javier continues.

'No way." I blurt out shocked.

"What did you guys say?" Cora asks.

"Nothing, they gave us a week to respond. But there's more, after the king's envoy left another vamp came to see us and this guy seemed to be the leader of the opposing coven."

"Let me guess, he asked for help too." I guessed.

"Actually no, the opposite. He asked us to stay out of it, to let vampire problems be left to vampires. He said that he and his people have no plans on moving against us or the boundary but can't promise it will stay that way if decide to intervene." Javier finishes.

"So it was a threat." Alice says.

"No, a warning." I amend.

"Nice to know we're not the only ones with problems." Cora says sarcastically.

"Yeah, but how long until it becomes our problem." I say worriedly.

"You can see why we had to come back, Crestwood has the largest gathering of wolves closest to the boundary. What ever happens, Crestwood will be affected first, so we came for your opinion." Javier explains.

The sound of wolves howling tells us the community meeting is about to start, so we head into the arena. Inside the small arena is filled with bleachers surrounding a small circular stage, the bleachers are quickly filled up leaving packs, including mine, to stand near the stage. As we walk in a feeling of unease settles over me. I look over and see Keira's eyes watching me but unlike usual her eyes and face are cold and unemotional, she was a stranger to me and it scared me, after a few moments she turns away. And I could see why she had, Demetri was here with his group of wolves and they were eyeing Keira with pure hatred. Her cold expression shook me, but I understood, with so many wolves watching she couldn't afford to show weakness.

Alpha Rodrick another council member calls the meeting to order.

"I know you all have questions about the attack last night, but I do not wish to start this meeting with sadness and anger. So first I would like to open the floor to any claims."

At that a male wolf jumps up and races to the center of the stage.

Claims are when a wolf asks for their mate from another pack, it doesn't have to be done publicly, it's just a fun way of announcing that they've found their mate.

"I, Jason Ward of the Kenway pack would like to claim my mate Izzy Jackson from the Evergreen pack." The male wolf proudly declares.

A female wolf makes her way down and stands next to the man. Followed by two other males, clearly the alphas of the Evergreen and Kenway packs.

"Do you oppose?" Asks the alpha of the Kenway pack.

"No." Replies the alpha of the Evergreen pack.

"Do you require compensation?" Asks Kenway.

It's hard for some packs to lose a member so compensation is offered to make up for it. It can be anything from land, money, or even another pack member in exchange.

"I only wish to be invited to the wedding." Answers Evergreen.

With that done all parties smile and shake hands, the other packs giving them a small round of applause. When they finish the female follows her mate to his pack. Lucas nudges me, looking at him he winks at me before going up onto the stage.

"I, Lucas Silverblood of the Silverblood pack would like to claim my mate Daniella Blackwood from the Blackwood pack." Lucas proclaims loudly.

Everyone from our pack cheers, I was surprised to learn Daniella was the alphas daughter. The whole stadium seems to buzz with excitement at the announcement. When someone from a council pack finds their mate it's always big news, on top of that it being the son and daughter of the alphas. Their going to be the talk of the town for weeks. When Lucas and Daniella make their way back I give her a small hug and welcome her to the family. As other wolves start to make their way down and announce their claims I scan the room hoping to see Hannah, to see if she's okay. But as I look around my eyes seem to gravitate back towards Keira. I can't help but stare, her beautiful face still cold and emotionless sends a shiver down my spine. Sensing my gaze Keira looks to me, her eyes locking onto mine, they hold me in place pulling me deeper into them. Unable to look away my body begins to tremble; my reaction seems to amuse her as I see the faintest of smiles play on her lips.

"Enough of this nonsense !!"

Demetri's angry yell draws everyone's attention as he jumps up onto the stage.

"My son's killer stands in this very room and you all do nothing! I demand justice!!!"

Murmurs break out amongst the wolves.

"Fights between packs are not are not our responsibility, we mediate if asked but we do not interfere, you know this better than anyone Demetri." Rodrick tells Demetri in a calm voice.

"It was the council who invited her and her pack onto our lands and it was the council who convinced me to let her stay in my territory. And how was my generosity repaid? By killing my son in cold bold."

I was angered by his lie and was about to stand and say something.

"Liar!"

The wolves look to Keira who shouted, outraged by Demetri's lies, she proceeds to makes her way to the stage. As she jumps up onto the stage she continues to address the other wolves and Demetri.

"I gave your son more than one chance to stop his idiotic tirade, but he ignored them. He killed himself." Keira spat in disgust.

"You bitch." Demetri says with pure venom in his voice.

"I have witnesses from your own pack that can back my claim." Keira said.

"You mean the wolves you bribed, those traitors are no pack mates of mine." Demetri refuted. "Besides why should they believe the words of a stranger over a respected member of this community."

"More like tolerated." Said a random wolf from the crowd.

The comment brought out a few chuckles from the crowd while Demetri scowled in the direction of the voice.

"Again, the council brought this plague upon me, so I demand they help me take my vengeance and reclaim my land." Demetri stated to the all the wolves.

Whispers broke out from amongst the wolves, some were agreeing with Demetri while others doubted his words. My father made his way to the stage.

"I must say I agree with Demetri." My father said.

My jaw dropped at his words. Even Demetri looked taken aback, it was no secret that Demetri hated my father, jealous of his position and influence.

"If it's true that Alpha Keira attacked first without provocation or merit, then it is our fault and responsibility to make right." My father continued.

Demetri seemed to recover from his surprise. "Finally, someone seeing sense."

"I vote that if Demetri's claims are true and that the 'Thorn-apple pack did attack first without warning' then we help him in their subjugation." My father stated to the other council members.

I couldn't believe the words coming out of my father's mouth, I thought he was going to help Keira not throw her under the bus. But as I look over to Keira I don't see the surprise or anger I expected to see. Instead her face was clear of emotion, but her eyes, in them I could see what looked like, satisfaction?

Following my father's lead the other council members agreed with his statement. A vicious smile spreads over Demetri's face as he looked over to Keira.

"You hear that, its over for you, I'll have you on your knees begging me for mercy you-"

"Now, now. I said IF your claims were true." My father interrupted Demetri.

My father pulls out the phone with the video from that night and presses play. He hands the phone over to Rodrick while the other council members cluster around him to watch the video. The volume was set all the way up and the whole arena was dead quite so even though most of the wolves couldn't see the video they could all clearly hear what was happening. As Cole's tirade is heard by everyone a look of dread falls on Demetri's face and now Keira's has the vicious smile. When the video finishes all the wolves seem to stare at Demetri, waiting for him to say something, but instead Rodrick is the one to break the silence first, addressing everyone.

"For those that couldn't see, this video clearly shows Cole attacking Alpha Keira first and as she stated before she gave him multiple chances to back down." Rodrick explained to everyone.

"I am truly sorry for your loss Demetri, but Alpha Keira was within her right to do what she did." My father says to Demetri.

"She killed a child, a child who did not know what he was doing!!!" Demetri snapped.

"Child? He was an alpha and alphas are responsible for their own actions. If he didn't know what he was doing it was because YOU didn't teach him properly, it's because YOU gave him a position he wasn't ready for." My father snapped back.

Demetri roared with anger and lunged at my father, unfazed my father calmly knock Demetri away with one punch.

"ENOUGH." Shouts Rodrick. "Demetri if you wish to take vengeance upon the Thorn-apple pack that is your choice, but the council will not help you." Rodrick declared.

Keira walked to the center of the arena.

"And to any pack that is thinking of helping this moron attack my pack, just know that my pack is ready, and we will show no mercy." Keira releases her aura full blast.

The pressure from her aura was intense and it seemed to fill the entire arena. Weaker wolves immediately started to whine and cower in fear. While others were struggling to catch their breath, even my father and the other council members were breathing heavily. After a few moments Keira cut off her aura, smiling as she saw the fear in the other pack's eyes.

"Goddess, after that I doubt anyone is going to want to help Demetri." Lucas says while catching his breath.

Demetri, who was still on the floor where my father knocked him down, looks around and seeing no one coming to his aid turns to my father, Keira, and the council.

"You will all pay for this." Demetri says in a low sinister voice.

With that Demetri stands and leaves, heading for the exit, what was left of his pack following behind him.

After a few moments of no one saying anything my father finally breaks the silence.

"I believe it's about time we get back on track. Alpha Keira since your already here please tell us what you know of the White Moon pack." My father asks.

"Of course." Keira replies.

Keira then goes on and explains a little of what she knew and what we should expect. The captured wolves were probably being pushed for information, for everything and anything that could give the White Moon pack an edge. We should expect small incursions by wolves sent to spy on us. We should also be ready for more attacks on a regular basis, apparently the White Moon pack uses its sheer numbers to tire and whittle packs down.

When Keira finished explaining what she knew, the council thanked her and apologized for what happened with Demetri, but she just brushed it off as no big deal. Afterwards Keira turns to me and smiles, with her cold mask gone I could see the Keira I knew was back, and I couldn't help but smile back at her.

But then her smile turned into a devious grin, which immediately set off my 'oh shit alarm', and I could feel myself starting to panic.

Oh, goddess what is she planning.

"Before I go I would also like to announce my claim." Keira told the council.

"Oh, fuck." I  blurt out.

The whole stadium seemed to come alive with excitement again. After Keira's impressive display of strength, everyone was curious to see who could be mated to such a powerful werewolf.

"By all means go ahead." My father replied.

"I Keira Thorn-apple of the Thorn-apple pack would like to claim my mate Caden Silverblood from the Silverblood pack." Keira proudly declared.

The whole stadium falls dead quite as everyone turns to look at me. I feel all the blood drain out of my face, causing me to faint.

****************************************************************************************

If you enjoy my work please leave a like or leave a comment down below, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank You For Reading!!!!!!

5