Chapter Fifteen
200 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Caden, Caden!"

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Keira's voice.

"Are you okay?" Keira asks me, concern filling her voice.

"I'm fine." I respond.

"Are you sure, because you've been staring at that paper for the last 30 minutes and its upside down."

Refocusing on the paper in my hand, I notice that it is indeed upside down. Letting out a heavy sigh, I lay the paper down on top of all the other papers I still need to go over. I was currently in mine and Keira's room sitting on our bed going over lists of medical supplies I'll need as the pack doctor. Most of the medical equipment needed can be bought with relative ease but for some of the more high-end equipment and regulated substances I'll be asking James to help me out. But as Keira pointed out I'm distracted; my mind keeps going back to what happened earlier today at Pete's house.

"Pete, I need you to tell me exactly what happened."

"After meeting up at the party me and Gabi- I mean Aspen seemed to really hit it off. I think she really liked me."

"Pete focus."

"Right, sorry. After a while she asked if we could go to my place, and since my parents are out of town this week, I of course said yes. We came back here and proceeded to have what I can honestly say was the greatest night of my life. Seriously dude it was amazing."

"Pete!"

"Yeah, right, focus. The next morning is when things started to get weird, she grabbed my suitcase from the closet and told me to start packing. When I tried asking her why she just cut me off and started rambling. Saying weird things like, how we had to leave before the fighting started and that she had to talk to the witch's council about the coming war?"

"War? What war?"

"I don't know, at that point she was starting to weird me out, so I told her I wasn't going anywhere. She didn't seem to like that cause next thing I know she's grabbing some sort of powder out of her purse and blowing it in my face. My whole body froze up and I couldn't move, then she walked over picked me up like I was nothing and started carrying me out like a surfboard. That's when I started yelling for help and Alice and Cora busted in and the three of them started fighting. Alice managed to get me away from Aspen while Cora started fighting her one on one. It felt like I was watching a movie, they were both so fast and the way they went at each other was incredible. Aspen managed to get a few good hits in, but Cora was an absolute beast countering all her punches and kicks with her own. Cora really did a number on her cause by the end Aspen was limping. Hurt an outmatched, Aspen let out an ear-piercing scream that seemed to rattle the entire house. That's when both Cora and Alice exploded into giant wolves."

"Pete! As riveting as all that is, none of it is explaining how Cora and Alice where rendered unconscious."

"I'm getting to that hold on. Anyway, seeing Cora and Alice turn into wolves seemed to surprise and scare Aspen because she started backing up towards the front door. Judging by their snarls, Alice and Cora didn't seem too keen on the idea of just letting Aspen walk out of here and seemed to be getting ready to jump her. But before they could, Aspen pulled something out of her hair and blew it in our direction. That's when Alice and Cora started to wobble then fall over, the last thing I saw before I knocked out was Aspen staring at me before bolting out the front door. The next thing I know I'm waking up and Alice and Cora still haven't gotten up."

"Jesus Pete! That's all you had to say, she blew something at you guys, and you fell asleep!"

"That's what I just said!"

"If it was another powder, like the one she used to paralyze you, that would explain why the girls aren't up yet. Since their sense of smell is so much stronger than yours, they probably got hit with a larger dose."

"So, they're going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I think they'll be alright. That's one problem down, on to the other."

"What's the other problem?"

"You are Peter, I have to figure out how I'm going to deal with you."

The feeling of warm lips touching my own brings me back to the present, Keira's kiss instantly clearing my mind.

Keira pulls back from the kiss, "Do I finally have your attention?"

Looking at her face I could see amusement playing on her lips but also worry furrowing her brow.

"I'm sorry." I say solemnly.

"Don't be, I can pretty much guess what you're thinking about." Keira says with chagrin. "According to your father no one has heard from the witch community in the last eighty years. So, for one to turn up here out of the blue right when things are getting crazy can't be a coincidence." Keira tone became more speculative as she spoke.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"Also, what was that witch thinking, getting into a fight with werewolves in a human's house with the human still there? It's a good thing your friend Peter was out for all of it, it would have sucked if you would have had to turn him over to the council." Keira's tone became suspicious when she spoke of Peter.

"Yeah...real lucky, whatever Aspen used to put the girls to sleep, she must have used it on Peter first." I lied.

The lie came out smoother than I thought it would, but Keira seems to sense that I'm hiding something. But for whatever reason she doesn't push me on it.

After explaining the dangers of knowing about werewolves to Peter, I had him swear to not talk about what happened at his house with anyone besides me. After a while the girls started to come to and I had them, Lucas, and Noel go along with the story that the girls confronted Aspen when they saw her trying to kidnap an unconscious Peter. While all four of them were uncomfortable keeping Peter's knowledge a secret, they all agreed to go along with the story. Both Lucas and Noel knew how much I valued my human friends, and both Alice and Cora had come to see Peter as a friend as well. So, no one wanted to see him hurt or worse killed by the council, especially since finding out wasn't even his fault.

"I wonder what she could have wanted from him?" Keira muses out loud.

Keira gets up off the bed and walks over to the dresser, looking in the mirror she continues putting on a light touch of make-up. That's when I notice she's wearing a rather stunning thigh high black dinner dress.

'You look incredible, what's the occasion?" I ask.

Keira chuckles, "That's what I've been trying to tell you for the last half hour. We're having dinner at your parents' house."

"We are? I don't remember setting that up." I say as I think back.

"You didn't, I did." Keira explains.

"You did?" I say surprised.

"Don't sound too surprised." Keira said with a small hint of annoyance in her voice.

"It's kind of hard not be, you weren't exactly jumping for joy when I mentioned wanting you to meet my family yesterday, and now your scheduling a dinner date?"

"I said I would meet them." Keira said defensively.

"Yeah, but only after a little push from me. What's changed?"

She hesitated; it was only for a second, but she hesitated.

"Nothing's changed, I just felt like getting it over with." Keira responded coolly.

She's hiding something, and she knew I knew.

"Just out of curiosity how long have you known your human friend Peter?"

Her sudden question about Peter and her use of the word human, was her way of warning me. If I didn't let this drop, then she wouldn't let my thing with Peter drop.

"Okay." I say raising my hands up in defeat. "Give me a few minutes to get ready."

Having finished applying her make up Keira walks over and gives me a peck on the cheek, "I'll be in my office when you're ready." She says with a self-satisfied smile on her face.

I quickly get up and head to the bathroom, after a quick shower I put on one of my old dinner suits since the one I had bought for my date with Daniella got ruined that same night.

I was trying to straighten out my tie when there's a knock on the door, "Come in."

The door opens and I see Matty peek in.

"Hey." I say with smile.

I haven't really interacted with Keira's pack all that much, but by far Matty has been the most open and friendly, so I was genuinely glad to see her.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Keira asked me to check and see if you're ready."

"Yeah I'm ready, just trying to straighten out this damn tie." I grunt in frustration.

"Well come on, you don't want to keep the alpha waiting."

I walk out and see that Matty is naked and just as if I were home, I take it in stride and don't let it faze me. Seeing me still struggling with the tie, Matty turns and helps me with it.

"You're going on patrol tonight?"

"No, I just need some wolf time so I'm going for a run. Lisa and her group are going on patrol tonight. There that looks good."

"Thanks. Lisa has her own group? That's impressive for an omega." I state as we begin walking towards Keira's office.

"How so?" Matty asks, narrowing her eyes at me.

Oh oh, I rush to apologize, "Sorry that came out wrong, I just meant that omegas aren't usually combat focused so-"

Matty laughs, "Calm down, I'm just fucking with you. Actually, me and Lisa usually co-lead the group, but she wanted to go it alone tonight."

"Why?"

Matty sighs, "She's trying to impress Keira, like that's going to change her mind."

"Change her mind about what?"

Matty doesn't answer, we are a few feet from Keira's office when Matty grabs my arm, "Wait."

A few seconds later the door to Keira's office slams open and a naked Lisa stomps out upset; with clear signs she's been crying on her face. She turns and walks toward me and Matty.

"This is all your fault." Lisa tells me with angry tears running down her face.

Lisa glares over at Matty, judging by the look on her face she must have said something to Lisa through a mental link. After a few seconds Lisa glares back at me and purposely pushes past me walking off.

"Ok, Lisa has been giving me the stink eye since the moment I walked in, but what the hell was that?" I ask, confused as hell.

Matty lets out a heavy sigh then looks over to me, "Up until recently, Lisa used to be the alphas...favorite."

I felt a pit in my stomach, "Her favorite what?"

Matty looks at me with a pained expression on her face, "Bed partner."

I let what she said wash over me for a moment.

"It was only for a month and Keira put an end to it two month ago. The exact reason BEING because Lisa was getting too attached. So, will you please calm down and relax your hands before you start to bleed, and I get in trouble for causing it." Matty hurriedly explained.

Confused by her comment about my hands I look down and sure enough both my hands were clenched into tight fists. I quickly relax my hands and take a long deep breath to calm myself down. I know the anger and jealousy I'm feeling is completely irrational and was just being amplified by my mating bond. Besides did I really expect someone as incredible as Keira to stay a virgin all this time, and it's not like I have any moral high ground to stand on either.

I think about my night with Claire and immediately feel guilty, shaking my head I push down the negative thoughts and emotions and I give my cheeks a few quick smacks.

"It's in hers and mines past, we're together now and that's what matters." I say to both myself and Matty.

Feeling like myself again we enter Keira's office and let her know I'm ready.

Keira drove us to my parent's house in the white sports car I had seen her drive off in at school. The entire drive there I could feel Keira's irritation growing, it only got worse as we parked and started walking toward the front door.

"Keira, wait." I gently tug her hand to stop her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine."

I give her a skeptical look.

Keira lets out a huff, "Look, I'm just not good with the whole parents and family's thing."

"What do you mean, why?" I ask.

Keira looks away, "Let's just say I have some unresolved family issues."

It was small but I could feel anger, fear, and pain as she spoke those words.

"I really don't want to talk about it, at least not now." Keira takes my other hand and holds it, as if trying to balance herself both emotionally and physically.

"Clearly, look Kiera if you don't want to do this, I won't force you to. I'll just tell my family there was a pack emergency and you couldn't make it." I offered.

It saddened me to see her this way.

Keira takes a deep calming breath, "No, I know how much you value your family and I'm not going to let my family issues keep you from yours."

I couldn't help but admire her thoughtfulness and strength. I raise her left hand up to cup my face knowing it's what she both wanted and needed. For a moment she just stands there gently caressing my cheek with her thumb. Then slowly, she leans forward and gives me a deep, soft, and passionate kiss.

"Thank you." Keira says with a smile, sounding much calmer now.

We continue walking towards the front door and before we can even knock, my mother opens the door and greets Keira with an excited hug, telling her how grateful she is to Keira for being my mate. Stunned and clearly at a lost on what to do, Keira just stands there awkwardly trying to hug my mother back.

Getting inside we were greeted and congratulated by everyone in my family; first my parents, then Lucas and Daniella, flowed by Charles, Selene, and Claire. I don't see Noel, but I'm guessing he got stuck babysitting the twins tonight. I was surprised to see Daniella's father Ray, or rather Alpha Blackwood, was also here and offered his congratulations as well. My parents had turned this meet the parent's dinner into a full-blown mating celebration for both me and Lucas.

Keira was a little stiff at first but after chatting with my family for while she seemed to relax a bit, by the time dinner was served she evened seemed to be enjoying herself.

"This roast is delicious! May I please ask your omega for the recipe?" Rays asks my father.

"Of course, I'll ask Linda to write it down for you." My father obliged.

"Thank you, has the council made any progress in coordinating a defensive for the next White Moon attack?" Ray inquires.

Keira seemed to perk up at the question, "That's something I've been wondering too, I haven't heard anything from the council or even the smaller packs in the area either." Keira added.

My father pinches the bridge of his nose, frustration clearly etched on his face, "No, instead of working together those fools continue to bicker about past transgressions. I've even heard rumblings that some of them don't even want to fight, instead they wish to run to the boundary."

"Cowardly dogs, the lot of them." Ray growls.

"If they're already thinking of running, who's to say they won't run to the White Moon pack themselves." Daniella says to her father.

"Gotta say, your council isn't as tightknit as I thought it was." Keira stated.

My father sighs, "Yes, and this division is causing all the other packs to be divisive as well. I sometimes wonder if the alpha of the White Moon pack has the right idea of bringing all packs together under one rule."

Everyone stops and look toward my father, stunned by his comment.

"Dad!" Lucas says in an admonishing tone.

"Don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with their method of accomplishing it." My father quickly clarifies.

"But is there really any other way? I mean c'mon let's be honest, no alpha is going to give up their authority without a fight." Keira states.

Ray and my father both stay silent, knowing that what Keira said was true.

"Okay that's enough! No more pack talk, this is supposed to be a celebration for our children and their mates." My mother declares.

"Yes of course, forgive me."

"Me as well."

Both my father and Ray apologize.

"Now then, Daniella, Keira would the two of you like to see embarrassing baby pictures of Lucas and Caden?" My mother asks.

"Mom!!!" Both me and Lucas yell at the same time.

"You two shush, this is a tradition as old as time and I won't have you two ruining it for me."

We groan but keep silent causing both Keira and Daniella laugh.

"We'd love to." Keira states.

With that my mother leads Keira and Daniella away.

Once they finished eating dinner Charles and Selene excused themselves as well, saying they weren't going to miss this chance for some alone time. The rest of us headed into the the main living room and chatted. I hadn't even been gone a day, but I've missed so much already like; James has been sent out to a pack we're friendly with to help over see a birth. Alice and Cora have now officially joined my dad's pack and are out on patrol right now, and they're staying in my old room.

I feel a small twinge of sadness at the fact that I'll no longer be as close to me family as I was before.

Claire comes over and sits next to me. "What's wrong?" She asks.

"Nothing, just realizing things are changing." I answer with a sigh.

"Yeah, sucks doesn't it?" Claire responds drily.

I chuckle at her response, "I have to say you clean up nice."

Unlike usual Claire's hair was done up nicely and she was wearing a rather lovely formal white sundress.

"Thanks, your mom got her hands on me. Said this was a special night and didn't trust me to dress properly for the occasion."

"Was she wrong?" I ask with a smile.

"Hmm, probably not." Claire smile back.

We both laugh.

"So, how is it?" Claire asks.

"How's what?" I ask back, taking a sip of my champagne.

"The sex."

Startled by her question, I choke a little on the champagne before forcing it down. I shouldn't be surprised; Claire is going to be Claire. I look over and see her looking at me with an innocent expression on her face.

I pat my chest to help the champagne down. "Geez, jumping right to it huh."

Claire laughs, "Hey I'm just wondering if you've learned anything new since our night together."

The sound of glass shattering has everyone looking toward the entryway. Standing there was Keira with my mother and Daniella behind her. Her eyes were glued to me and Claire.

"Your 'what' together!" Keira demands.

I can feel Keira's jealousy and anger as she stomps toward us. I immediately get up and put myself between her and Claire.

"Keira, stop!" I spread my arms out to block her path. "It happened once long before we met, so calm down!"

Behind Keira I see my father and Lucas slowly positioning themselves to grab and subdue Keira in case she attacks, everyone else freezes not wanting to antagonize the situation.

"Get out of my way Caden!" Keira spoke to me, but her eyes were fixated on Claire.

"No, you'll hurt her if I do!"

"I have to, she touched what's mine." Keira growled.

"I wasn't yours four month ago, so calm down!"

"You were always mine!"

Now I was getting angry, "Then what about you and Lisa!"

Stunned, Keira finally looks at me. For a moment I sense guilt mixed in with her anger. "Who told you?"

"Why does that matter?"

Keira's anger rises again at my disobedience, and her anger seems to fuel my own.

"That's different, that was just some fun between girls." Keira angrily states.

"I think Lisa would beg to differ, and sex is still sex Keira!" I snap back.

Keira stays silent, she knows I'm right.

"Now back off, I'm not letting you hurt Claire, she's family."

"Family, FAMILY! You have no family, you're adopted Caden. Everyone here might as well be strangers!" Keira yells.

I flinch back as if I've been struck, her words painfully piercing my chest. A pain I hadn't felt in a long-time flows through me.

Sensing my pain seems to knock Keira back to her senses, a horrified expression now covering her face.

"Caden, I'm so sorry, I-I didn't mean it." Keira quickly tries to apologize.

"Please leave." I say softly.

"Caden." Keira pleads, reaching out to me.

But I turn away.

"Please just go." I say again softly. Afraid that if I speak any louder, I might break.

I hear her slowly turn and leave, no one says a word. When I hear the front to door close shut I turn back.

"Sorry everyone, mom I'll be in my room for a bit."

"O-of course, just call down if you need anything."

I quickly make my way up to my room, desperately trying to not lose myself to the pain.

****************************************************************************************

If you enjoy my work please leave a like or leave a comment down below, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank You For Reading!!!!!!

4