Chapter 11
3k 10 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was on my way back with the burn ointment. Marketing my products is going to be a challenge. I have no idea how much they’re worth, and the only one who knows about them is Valeriana. I’m still hesitant about talking to her, but it seems I don’t really have a choice.

With a sigh, I decided to check out the shop again; it had been a while since I last searched for anything.

Directing my thoughts, I asked. Mana recovery

It took a few seconds, but I got an answer.

[ Query successful. 3,253,780 results found, please apply more filters for more accurate results.]

My steps faltered on the stairs. This is different. This number is higher than I remember, given the last time I check was a week or two ago, but this growth was a little too high.

I focused again. Magic Ability.

The results took even longer this time to show up.

[ Query successful. 30,269,193 results found, please apply more filters for more accurate results. ]

Okay… something is definitely amiss here.

That’s almost a twenty percent increase, so either the market is really active at the moment or some form of foreshadowing.

I picked up my pace, finally reaching the room, and found it locked. I knocked on the door and got nothing but silence. Standing there for about five minutes, I ultimately relented. Judging by how she looked when I last saw her, she’s probably taking a bath… or just locked me out. 

Shrugging my shoulders, I made my way to the kitchen again. I could smell whatever the Innkeeper was cooking from here, and my stomach hadn’t stopped grumbling ever since. I haven’t eaten anything since last night, and the smell was simply heavenly. 

The strenuous march was over as I finally reached the kitchen. Hana smiled at me and beckoned me over. Luna was helping here too but seeing as it was me, she immediately averted her gaze.

 I sat at the kitchen counter, and watching Hana cook, I realized where the smell was coming from.

Sausages. I had to literally wipe my mouth; I was drooling. It didn’t smell like any meat I’ve ever tried, but it just might be the best. A voice broke me out of my daydreaming.

“Edward?” Hana said, concerned.

I absently nodded.

"You should take care of yourself more Edward.”

I nodded again. 

“I noticed that we’re the only people staying here, is everything okay?”

She smiled a little not taking her eyes off the pan. “Everything is fine. I’m just waiting for my husband to return.” She wiggled the pan, eliciting a sizzle. “We mostly have high-tiered adventurers staying here, and well… things can get a little heated.”

“I see.” I replied. “So, are you only letting low-leveled adventurers for now?”

She laughed. “Oh not at all, Valeriana is probably the only D-ranked adventurer that can afford us, and she didn’t look like the sort that would cause trouble, and neither are you.” She paused for a second, turning her head towards me. She offered me a sympathetic smile as she said. “And well, you look like you’d break in half if you tripped over the stairs.”

Ouch. That was harsh, but she’s not wrong. The first solid food I had in a month was yesterday.

“Yeah, last month has been rough. So much has happened, and I’m just glad it’s over.” I answered honestly. “Would you mind if I stay in one of the empty rooms for a little while? Valeriana has helped me tremendously already, and I can’t ask her for more.”

She stayed quiet for a few seconds considering my plea. “Sure, you can stay in one of the servants’ rooms on the first floor until we reopen again.” Casting a sideways glance at Luna, she added. “and maybe help around every once in a while.”

Help out the kid and get a place to stay in return, that sounds pretty good to me.

Confirming that I understood her intentions, I glanced at Luna. “Of course, I’ll help out whenever I can. Also, I have a couple more recipes I can share if you’re interested.” I smiled as I saw Luna’s ears twitching.

The familiar greedy smile graced Hana’s lips, I don’t think she even needs the animalistic features with that wolfish grin. She emptied the pan on a plate, grabbed a couple of eggs from the ‘fridge’, and started cooking them in the same pan.

It took about five more minutes, but I had a plate with some sausages and scrambled eggs in front of me. I immediately dug in; the waiting was torturous enough. The sausages had a weird flavor, but they were just as good as they smelled. The eggs were similar to those on Earth if a bit chewier. It was a simple meal, yet one that I greatly enjoyed. It had been a while since I ate something like this even before my interdimensional kidnapping, and the weeks of my liquefied diet made me appreciate it even more.

I have been completely immersed in my meal for a while now, and just noticed the two pairs of eyes staring at me. Bearers of said eyes had two different reactions when they realized I caught their staring; Luna averted her eyes immediately, looking at anything that wasn’t me, the wolf; however, sprouted an amused grin and simply continued her staring.

 I narrowed my eyes slightly at the wolfish Innkeeper, causing her lips to part even more. She was in a really good mood, one that was highly infectious. A playful smile spread across my face as I got back to my breakfast and savored whatever is left of my plate.

There are so many things that I’m ignorant of, but I know one thing for certain; Whoever her husband was, he's a lucky man. As soon as I finished my plate, a cold ale was presented in front of me. I took a large gulp and aahed in pleasure.

That really hits the spot.

Hana called out to me with a sly smile. “You look like you just had the best meal of your life.”

I nodded solemnly. It was definitely delicious.

I downed the rest of the ale and stood up. I was due a conversation with a grumpy cat. With a plate in one hand and the ointment in the other, I headed upstairs. Knocking on the door and getting no answer, my thoughts started whirling. 

Is she still grumpy and throwing a tantrum? Or did she ignore what I said and ate some of the mana-candy? I felt the tattoo on my hand react to that thought. It didn’t like that. 

I knocked on the door again while calling out her name. Greeted by silence again, I assumed the worst and thought about breaking the door open, however immediately abandoned the thought. I most definitely won’t be able to and instead settled for asking the Innkeeper for a spare key. Halfway across the stairs, I heard the door opening. 

Valeriana was standing impatiently at the door with her hair glistering wet. Wearing a simple shirt and pair of pants, she looked flattering; well, save for the scowl on her face.

Sighing I picked up her breakfast and medicine and went inside the room. I placed them both on the table and sat down at my chair. She had already closed the door and went inside. Sitting on the bed and drying her hair, I waited for her to finish. Finally, done with her grooming, she eyed the plate and shot me a look.

Another sigh escaped me, as I got up and handed her the plate. I can’t get used to being treated as a servant much less a slave.

She ate in a hurried yet dignified manner. I waited a few minutes before I asking. “How did it go?”

Confused at first, but recovering quickly, she stayed silent contemplating whether to answer or not.

“Fine.” She replies as she looked away.

“Are you done with the quest already?”

“No.” She curtly replies. 

I sighed again as I rubbed my eyebrows. “Didn’t we already go through this?” I asked. “Just let me help you.” I waited until she turned her head towards me and continued. “Let’s start from the very beginning.”

“I’m Edward.” She gave me a ‘really’ look, but I kept staring at her until she relented. “Valeriana” she grumbled.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you too Val.” She was about to snap at me, but I hastily added. “Wait, wait hear me out.” Waiting until she calmed down a bit. “Your name is way too long, can you imagine trying to call out your name mid-combat?” her brows untangled slightly.

She took a second mulling it over and ordered. “Fine, but you’ll call me mistress in private.”

“Sure, but I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I protested. “Someone could be spying on us, or I might just slip. If you really want me to, I can’t say otherwise. ”

She groaned, slumped her shoulders, and said. “Fine.”

I’m really starting to question the range of her vocabulary.

“So… did you capture any slimes?” I asked.

She gave me her confused stare again. 

I’m noticing a pattern here.

“The quest?” Pointing at her damaged clothes. “I’m assuming slime did that?”

Her confusion turned to anger.

“I’m not mocking you” her anger didn’t subdue.

Raising my hands, I continued. “I’m really not; I’m just trying to figure out what happened.”

“What do you mean capture?” She asked after much hesitation.

“Do you have the quest pamphlet?”

She fumbled with the damaged clothes and fished out the quest paper. As the realization hit her, she placed her head in her hands and loudly groaned. I mentally facepalmed at her impulsiveness. She’s been blindly fighting them the whole time.

I waited for her to recover. “Why are you in such a hurry?” I asked. “You registered, bought me, and trying to finish a quest, all in less than two days.”

She paused for a second before stating. “I need to get stronger.”

I nodded my head. “Let’s take a step back here. You can’t get stronger in a day. It will take time and effort. I’m sure you already know that seeing how you’ve been holding that sword.”

She held my gaze for a few seconds, stood up, sat down on a chair opposite to me, and continued where she left off.

The staring has been going on for a while now; it was beyond uncomfortable, downright creepy really.

Deciding to put an end to the staring contest, I started. “So-“

“You’re right.” She cut me off. “I’ve been reckless.”

That’s quite the understatement.

She finally broke eye-contact, turned her head towards the pile of candy, and asked. “Are you an alchemist?”

“No?” I answer somewhat confused.

“How did you make these then?” She gestured towards the piled candy.

“Dumb luck.” I answer shortly. “I can’t make any sort of potions really, that’s the only thing that worked so far.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly at me but she said nothing.

We elapsed into another round of silence, one that I abruptly broke. “How much do you think they would go for?”

“Are you going to try selling these?” She questioned.

“Yes?”

“You’re going to sell potions as an unregistered alchemist?”

What?

She noticed my confused look as she continued. “If the alchemist’s guild knew about this, you’d be in chains right now, with something jammed in your head, digging through your memories.”

A slight shiver ran down my spine.

Ah, fuck it, it's sink or swim.

“I was going to sell them in the shop.” I state, intently studying her reaction.

She looked confused at first but recovered rather fast. “That could work.”

I blinked.

“How would you set the price?”

“Uh, I’m not sure.” I answered still befuddled. Taking a few seconds to get my bearings together, I asked. “Are you going out again tomorrow?”

“Yes, but it’ll be different this time.” She answered resolved.

“Could you pass by the guild’s square and check how much a mana potion goes for?”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “Why don’t you go check yourself?”

“I know nothing about the city, and I can’t really protect myself right now.” I replied hauling up my skinny arms.

Her eyes darted from my face to my arms, but she said stayed silent.

Looks like requests are still touchy.

Ignoring my previous remark, I thoughtlessly pressed on. “And could you please check their price on the shop as well.”

 Her eyes narrowed even more, as she leaned forward slightly, and almost growled a “Why?”

“My shop isn’t showing prices, I need more points to fix it, so it would tremendously help me if you’d help.”

Her tail started angrily swishing, and I took it as my cue to leave. “Thank you, the Innkeeper gave me one of the rooms on the first floor.” Standing up I continued. “The salve is on the table over there.”

I picked up the candy trays and headed for the door. I had a lot to process, and I could actually finally start practicing magic now.

 

59