Chapter 26
1.6k 39 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You went missing for a whole day, Val. Of course, I’d come,” Anneliese said.

Both sisters had the same dark blonde hair, as well as the same pattern on their ears and tails, golden spotted fur. However, if you were to look more closely, you would notice the subtle differences as Anneliese’s black dots were different, tiny irregular islands huddled together instead of circular black dots.

That, however, was where the similarities ended. While Valeriana was short and lean, Anneliese was the opposite, taller and wider with more prominent curves and compact muscles. Valeriana had always loathed her smaller figure. Her older sister had longer reach, and every swing of her sword carried more strength. But as of late, she started seeing things in a new light.

She had always tried matching her opponent’s strength, but more often than not, she could not, especially against her sister. Training was proving futile; she would improve, but so would her sister. Little by little, the gap between them would widen. What was an evenly matched sparring turned one-sided. The breaking point was when her sister sympathized with her and let her win.

Fighting dumb beasts had been enlightening. She did not need overwhelming power, only her speed, and nimbleness. Her mother had said that every great warrior has their own style, and only now did she understand as she started forming her own. Another great lesson she came upon was how different sparring was from simple killing; one valued the display of great skill and technique while the other favored the opponent lying lifeless on the ground.

Valeriana wondered why it took her this long to realize this. All it took was a simple hunting trip. A trip her sister always said was pointless.

A seed of doubt had started to sprout and grew more and more the more she thought about the past. She had to forcibly suppress such thoughts as soon as they appeared. The idea that her sister was hurting her, crippling her, was ludicrous, but no matter how many times she tried, she could not pluck it out.

“So, you’ve been keeping tabs on me then,” Valeriana spoke, shaking away the needless suspicions. Her eyes were focused on Edward as his head rested beside her, something that was deeply irking her sister.

The carriage they rode was quite pricey, the beasts pulling it fast and resilient, and it was large enough to accommodate everyone. The coachman swore it would only take four days to reach her home.

“Of course, I did. Did you think mother would have settled for any less?” Anneliese asked. “Even if she did, I wouldn’t.” She sighed, downcast. “I’m so sorry I didn’t come any sooner. Mother wouldn’t let me. She even threatened to lock me up.”

Valeriana smiled. Her sister had ridden an Aludo, an expensive tamed monster mostly resembling a horse save for its trunk-like legs. She had crossed half the continent in a day and a half, with almost no rest. The poor beast was at the brink of death.

“Thank you, sister. I missed you too,” Valeriana replied with a smile. “When all of this is over and Edward is awake, I have something I want you to see.”

She doubted anyone knew about the village, let alone her sister. Edward was paranoid, excessively so. Knowing more about him now, she could sympathize to a degree, but still. The random abrupt halts he took while they were walking were irritating. The matter was not as pressing as of late, though; it barely took him a second to use his scouting ability now.

“Oh? We can drop off the slave and go,” Anneliese suggested. “I’m sure the healers will take good care of him.”

Valeriana frowned. “I’m not leaving him alone, Anny.” Her sister scowled. “Besides, I’m sure it won’t take him long to recover.”

“You seem very close to this… human. Had you taken him as a mate?”

“No,” Valeriana calmly denied.

A light snort resounded from a particular Rabbit, the demon in disguise announcing its presence. Valeriana had almost forgotten she was there. The decision to bring her along was out of necessity since she could not be trusted on her own, despite the heavy restrictions she imparted on her.

Anneliese’s eyes darted to the unfamiliar beastkin sat beside her; however, seeing her gazing out of the window, uncaring, she disregarded her. The redness creeping up her sister’s face made Anneliese frown. Not yet, she thought to herself.

“But what if I did?” Valeriana asked. “Don’t you have a mate already?”

“Yes,” Anneliese stated proudly, “and I’m getting another soon.”

Valeriana said nothing. She never favored their mother’s brazen ways. She had many mates, too many to care for. Her mother, her birth mother, would always complain about getting little to no attention from her rather busy mate. It was not something she wished to exercise herself, but her sister was of a different mind.

Silence encompassed the ride. A pang of sorrow hit Anneliese’s heart. Her sister had grown distant. She had pushed her away, but it was never her wish; she had to. However, now, things were different. Her sister was coming back, and she would make sure she would never want to leave again, even if that meant having to get along with the slave, or if needed – get rid of him.

However, Valeriana's next few words sent her mind whirling, “He’s a mage, you know,” She had casually stated.

Anneliese sucked in a sharp breath. “What!” She shouted. “What were you thinking, Val? Do you know how stupid this is!? Slave seals don’t work on mages.”

“I know,” Valeriana replied, surprised her sister did not know already.

It took the older sister a few seconds to understand the implications behind her words. “You didn’t!”

“I did.”

 “B-but how? Mother never told me where she kept them. We are supposed to only receive them when we are ready.”

“I have my ways,” Valeriana said with a smug smile.

“This is not a joke, Val. When Mother finds out-”

“It’s fine,” Valeriana interrupted. “I’m sure she knows already. Besides, it was mine anyway.”

“So, you left home, stole the blood seal you weren’t supposed to have yet and used it on a human mage.”

Valeriana nodded her head. If only her sister knew. She was sitting beside a high demon, disguised and docile, and opposite to her, a hero. How she, the little sister, was commanding both of them. She wished to tell her everything; about the village, the dungeon, but she could not.

The carriage fell silent. Anneliese was hunched over and biting her nails, her mind occupied. Feeling guilty, Valeriana faced her sister. “Hey, Anny,” She called out. Greeted with visible concern, most of the apprehension she held melted away, a genuine smile split her face. “Thank you.” She truly meant it.

And for the next four days, a grin did not leave the older sister’s face. Even as Valeriana would remain by the human’s side, going so far as to refuse to sleep in different rooms the nights they rested inns.

The intimacy annoyed Anneliese greatly; however, she quietly brushed it aside, content with seeing her sister and getting to talk to her again. She grew both curious and resentful towards her little sister’s slave as Valeriana would yammer on about him, raising the earth, erecting the most beautiful of buildings, scouting monsters and people alike from a distance almost half-way across the city. Exaggerations surely, she thought, but they must carry an ounce of truth.

The carriage came to a halt. Valeriana took a step forward, feeling the crushed snow beneath her boots and the cold air tickling her throat. She had missed it. Nothing would make her happier than a glass of hot wine right now. Her mouth watered as she walked, the trail of memories recounting more of her favorite food and desserts. Finding herself standing in front of the throne, she lightly slapped her cheeks.

Focus, she told herself. Both sisters awaited their mother’s arrival. The ‘throne’ room was the same as it was when she first left. Even though it was never referred to as such, the great embellished chair drawing your eyes, imposing, as you entered the manor, made it seem anything but.

They heard footsteps first, confident and pronounced. Councilwoman Xavienna was draped in her usual attire; leather jacket, linen pants, and a simple white shirt, managing to turn the most modest clothing into a regal and dignified garb. She bore little to no resemblance to her daughters as both her ears were more round, pointed at the tip; her tail shorter and bushier, the colors of both darker and murkier, almost appearing to be orange.

Both girls felt their mother’s gaze and immediately averted their own, settling on the ground. Xavienna towered over the sisters, running a hand through her short black hair, brushing over a few white strands. None dared to utter a word as they heard her heavily sigh.

“Daughter,” She spoke, her neutral voice made Valeriana tense, “you ran away from your home, took what was not yet yours,” Xavienna watched as her daughter's ears flattened. “And now, you come seeking help.”

Valeriana lowered her head more, feeling her mouth dry. All the preparation she had, gone. She felt her eyes tearing up, her face burning with shame. Her mother’s words were true, but she knew that already. She steeled herself, remembering the purpose she came for. She balled up her fists and took a deep breath; however, air refused to enter her lungs. Her mother had sprung her in the air, holding and suffocating her.

“I missed you so much, little panther.” Valeriana heard her mother speak. She could not reply; her head trapped in a valley surrounded by two massive hills, rising up with each bellowing laughter.

Seconds went by as she struggled, finally released from her mother’s deadly embrace, gasping for breath, she asked, “You’re not mad?”

“Why would I be?” A grin split the older woman’s face. “My little panther wanted to see the world.”

“I bought a slave,” Valeriana said, “and I used the blood seal.” Her voice getting lower and lower with each word she spoke.

do not own slaves because I do not want to. I never said you could not.” Xavienna ruffled her daughter’s hair. “And the seal was yours to begin with.”

Both sisters turned to each other, befuddled.

“Now come,” Their mother said, “you must be tired. The servants will bring in your companion. I want to hear about everything you did.”

***

Councilwoman Xavienna waited for the elf to speak rummaging through his white beard.

“It’s his manapool,” Sundri, the old mage, said from his seat. All three of them were in one of the more isolated rooms of the manor. It had a single bed and chair, originally built to hold an injured enemy, but had never been used before.

“Are you sure he’s not part of your guild?” She asked. The elven mage was a good friend who happened to be a high-ranking member of the mages' guild, a rather beneficial if not overly expensive acquaintanceship.

“No, He's a rogue,” He replied. Valeriana was right twice now.

Xavienna nodded more to herself than anything; the elf had his back to her, prodding and probing the human’s body.

“I have to inspect him further,” The elven mage stated.

She gave a silent approval, watching as he placed a hand on the human’s abdomen and another on his head. The air went still as the mage’s fingers started moving, drawing invisible symbols on the human’s skin. A few quiet minutes went by until the mage finally retracted his slightly shaking arms.

Xavienna moved around the sitting elf, noticing the faint traces of a grin on his face; however, they were gone as soon as they appeared. She blamed her imagination; the old bastard had never smiled in the 30 years she had known him for.

“His manapool is damaged,” He said. “Any mana he accumulates is almost lost instantly.” His lips twisted into a snarl as he continued, “And this is no mage. With how minuscule his manapool is, I doubt he could even cast a single spell. What a fool, choosing a path he is not destined for.”

Xavienna frowned; that was different than what Valeriana said. Either way, a mage, even if impotent, was still useful. “Can you heal him?” She asked.

“I can,” The elf replied, turning his chair to face her. “However, there is one thing to note. He has quite the rare skill, Mind Resistance, and it’s fairly potent as well. It might even be strong enough to resist the seal’s effect.”

Xavienna’s gaze sharpened. “Can it be removed?” She asked.

“Of course,” The elf smiled, drawing several lines onto his aged face, “and I can only take the skill as compensation.”

“No,” She replied. “I will hold onto it. Name your price, and you shall have it.”

His smile only widened. “I can start the healing now. Do you have the required instrument for the harvesting?”

“Yes, I’ll have a servant bring it over,” Xavienna replied, frowning.

“Then I shall begin,” Sundri said, turning back to the human. Hearing the Councilwoman faltering steps, his measured smiled untangled into a wolfish grin. A goddess-sent gift, waiting for him to unwrap it. He sent her a prayer, thanking her for such a blessing.

He had been a Master for years, stuck in a bottleneck unable to advance, and somehow an insignificant human, not a quarter of his age, had surpassed him? The idea was laughable. The bizarre youngling had the makings of a Grandmaster, only second to the Guildmaster by the guild’s sorting. Hundreds of spells, the highest rankings of the most difficult skills, yet completely lacked some of the most basic ones and had the mana pool of an ordinary member of his race.

It was baffling. How such a person came to learn the ways of the arcane eluded him, but it mattered very little. Sundri flexed his hands as his mana invaded the young mage’s body. He had to fix him before he indulged himself. The foreign mana seeped into the human’s body, spreading and finding its way to his fractured core. The Elven mage allowed himself a look inside but was met with a black curtain; his manapool was warded, yet his mind was not – another oddity.

Pulling back, Sundri kneaded his mana and applied it to the broken walls, filling in the gaps; a seemingly simple skill, but one which required considerable concentration. It took the mage half a day to fully heal young mage. With his lips tugged upwards, he took off his sweat-soaked robes. The gold-streaked elven cotton would only take a few minutes to dry, and soon, he could finally start.

***

“You’ve grown stronger, sister,” Anneliese said as she stood hunched over, both hands on her knees, breathing hard.

“Back at you, sis,” Valeriana replied, in a similar state as her sister.

Anneliese raised her arms in surrender and unceremoniously flopped down on the cold snow, ending their spar short. A draw.

“So, you’re a dual-wielder now,” Anneliese noted.

“Yes, but I am still developing the style. Carrying a dagger alongside the sword goes against most of what I have learned.”

“But it seems to be working,” Anneliese replied. “I don’t think I’ll stand a chance when you perfect it,” Anneliese jokingly said, yet some part of her wholeheartedly believed it.

Valeriana smirked, “Of course, just you wait.”

Anneliese smiled at her sister’s enthusiasm. “How about we head to town today?” She asked.

“I’m sorry. I can’t,” Valeriana answered her own smile weakening.

“Come on, Val. Mother said he’s being healed already. There is nothing for you to do here,” Anneliese reasoned.

“I know, but… why wouldn’t she let me see him?”

“It’s the healer’s orders, Val. Come on.” Anneliese insisted, and she caved in. Yesterday, she was too tired, and since Edward was finally getting the care he needed, she allowed herself some sleep. Today was mostly spent worrying over him.

Her mother forbad any visits as to not disturb the mage healing him. She had never liked Sundri. The elf would come and go for as long as she remembered, and not once had she favored his presence.

Such thoughts were swept away as she toured the town square with her sister, meeting the townsfolk and eating the food she grew up to love. Anneliese was back to the sister she knew; the last few years were a bad dream she was starting to forget. The day was over before she knew it; the pleasant recollection quickly vanished as she attempted to rise from her bed, a splitting headache pounding against her skull.

She had bought a bottle of spirits and challenged her sister; what happened afterward lost and forgotten. Groaning, she sat up, supported by her elbow. Two red eyes were glaring at her, the Rabbit’s lips twisted in a snarl. The demon was not happy, stuck in a room for the past two days.

She moved to the side of the bed, planting her feet, and sat clutching her head. “We’ll leave once Edward is healed.”

Only the demon’s eyes were exposed, a rabbit with bloodshot narrowed eyes. “Then let me out of here. I can barely even eat on my own. I’m not waiting here until he’s healed and harvested.” Gritting her teeth, she added, “Mistress.”

Valeriana smiled in satisfaction at the proper address; however, quickly sobering as her slowed mind caught up. “What do you mean harvested?” She asked.

The demon rolled her eyes, “The idiot resisted my charm the first time I approached him. He definitely has something protecting his mind. Why do you think I bothered with capturing you in the first place? Now,” She paused. “Get me the fuck out of here, oh so wise, Mistress.”

Valeriana paled. Harvesting was forbidden both by the goddess and the council. The dreadful technique was used to rob you of your skills. It could only take the ones you did not develop yourself, but that did not matter; just being under its effects was bad enough. It was one of the few things that used to scare her as a child, and so the ways to resist it were drilled into her; she doubted Edward knew any.

“We’re leaving,” Valeriana said in an icy tone. Two white ears rose up in anticipation as the Rabbit stood, hiding her grin.

***

Sundri swore under his breath. What a waste of time this had been. The human had truly gained all of his skills. Truly unfortunate, he thought. If such power were in his hands, he would rise to the top of the guild, maybe even contest the Guildmaster’s seat in a few centuries. But no. he was to stay where he was, scraping for coin working for a filthy mutt. Nevertheless, he took what he could, making the best of his situation – he reasoned. A couple hundred spells were no small matter. They would definitely fetch a hefty price. Shame, neither of his affinities were earth.

The loss in the human’s repertoire would be easily explained as side effects of his deteriorating core. It was a common outcome to such ailment, though, he could argue with how extreme it was, the consequences were quite dire. So a plan was quickly set. He would heal the human, harvest him, and help him with his recovery – maybe even ask him how he managed to advance his skills to this extent.

Everything was going according to plan. Sundri was met with no resistance as he employed the Klepto – a coin-sized device – and began the harvesting – the spells were quickly his. However, when it came to the remaining item, the one he originally set out to remove; the young mage would not let it go. The longer the process took, the worse the victim’s mind would become. It had been almost two days now, and another would be the limit; he was already pushing it.

Sundri cursed his luck again. Sweat trickled down his neck, reminding him of how much time he spent locked up in this confinement, how filthy he was. His hand traveled upwards, attempting to wipe off the wetness. Brows crossed in confusion as he noticed how viscous the droplet was.

Something hard touched his neck this time, followed by three clicks of a tongue and a sickly sweet voice whispering in his ear. “Now, now, no sudden moves.” A dagger was the source of the unknown moisture as it sat on his neck dripping.

“You’re making the biggest mistake of your life,” Sundri threatened. “Do you have any idea who I am? The guild will-” The blade traveled to his jugular.

“Stop this.” Another voice joined in, walking around him and approaching the sleeping human.

“Valeriana?” The elf puzzled. “What are you-”                   

“Sundri,” Her tone sent a shiver down his spine. “Put an end to this before I do it myself.”

“Valeriana, this is your mother’s wish. She-” The look she gave him prompted him to shut up. Yielding, he ceased the mana flow traveling through intrusive tool. He locked eyes with the Councilwoman’s daughter, conveying completion.

Wake up, Edward,” Valeriana ordered. In a slow, methodical manner, Edward rose from his slumber; however, he was not awake – remaining unresponsive and his eyes muddy.

The dagger cut the mage’s throat, though not deep enough for him to bleed out. “Works every time,” The demon said with a satisfied smile.

The mage clutched his injured neck, desperately trying to stop the bleeding. In a matter of seconds, he was limp. The Arachne’s poison had taken effect, rendering him useless.

“I’ll send someone to make sure you don’t bleed out. The paralysis will wear off in a few hours.”

All three adventurers walked through the halls, ignoring the servant’s questioning gazes. Reaching the manor’s gates, Valeriana spotted a merchant’s cart headed for the estate and successfully convinced both merchant and driver to hand it over.

“Get in,” She ordered, the demon and the unblinking human obeyed.

Valeriana rode in the front – the driver had already fled. She paused as she saw a figure dashing towards her.

“Did you know about this, Anny?” She asked.

“I-” Anneliese could not reply, stunned at how cold her sister was.

Betrayal crossed Valeriana’s face. She turned her head to the road, flicking the reins and ushering the cart forward.

Anneliese attempted to run after her sister but stopped as she heard her mother speak.

“If you leave now, you are not to return,” She said. “She made her choice. You will not coddle her any longer.”

So mother and daughter watched as the carriage got smaller and smaller. One wore a frown while the other was on the ground with her head in her hands, quietly sobbing.

Announcement

A double chapter that took way too long to finish. I think I have rewritten it at least three times with very little free time, so there might be some mistakes here and there.
Should be able to post more by next week. That's all. Thank you.

34