Chapter 30
1.3k 1 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The return to the Lamassu was far more enjoyable than I first expected. Over the last week or two, I haven’t bothered to maintain my connection to the earth, and right now, everything felt right. There was also the fact that I was using a new technic. Before, I used to form an image of my surroundings made of different shapes and elevations. I had a second skin, in a sense. I would feel if something had ‘touched’ me and started moving around. The glaring weakness was how taxing it was. A single step in any direction would dispel all that hard work. Distances shifted as they were all relative to me, some growing further and others closer.

The new method, however, was far more flexible. I would pick a spot and used it as an anchor, not on myself but on a chosen point. For example, I located an area half a mile away and set it as my center. Everything in a mile radius around it was visible to me. I had a three-dimensional map in my mind, constantly updating by the second, and did not fall apart with the slightest movement.

My little mini-map wasn’t foolproof, though. Any aerial intruders would go unnoticed, and if a creature were to lie on top of an unfamiliar object – I would only register what’s below. The cave incident would not occur again, but a treetop ambush was very much a possibility. Thankfully, at the moment, I wasn’t worried about either. We were still at the beginning of the forest, and short grass hid nothing from my eyes. So, making use of my time, I started munching. Say what you will, but the strange herbs were definitely working. Not only was I carrying an extra hundred pounds, but I also didn’t even budge when all of the Wyvern’s weight hung on my arm.

Valeriana noticed my hand traveling upward and asked a question completely unrelated to the motion. “Why aren’t you wearing any armor?” She said, frowning. Yet before I could answer, she spoke again. “Are those Bulikh roots?” She faked a gag. “Goddess, is that a Shariek’s core? And Felander’s spit too?” She gagged again, but it seemed more genuine. “I’m going to puke,” She said, separating and walking a distance afar.

 “My body still hurts, so I can’t wear any straps right now; my cloak is good enough, though.” I addressed the first question first. Wiggling the weird plants in the air, I added, “And these are not that bad. You should try them first.”

“I did.” She stuck her tongue out in disgust. “I ate them when I was a kid. Just you wait till they start smelling like an orc’s mouth and taste just the same.”

“Is that how you know their effects have stopped?” I asked, and she nodded.

“Yeah, eating more would be pointless.” She scrunched her nose. “Not that you can.”

I shrugged. “That’s fine then. By the way, Val,” I said, changing the subject. “Is there a way to get more privileges?”

She glanced at me, or more accurately, at the inside of my cloak. I waved my hand dismissively. It was fine to talk. The contract between us left no room for betrayal. The Wyvern was quite literally incapable of doing so.

“No,” Valeriana denied. “You only get three and no more.”

“Huh,” I remarked. “I’m pretty sure I got like five, and they’re all gone.” 

The Catkin gaped at me and pressed me to list what I had spent them on. It took me a minute to remember, and as I spoke, her face went from befuddled to mortified.

“You wasted not one… but five!?” Her voice shook, unsure whether to laugh or cry.

“I didn’t know I had a limit at the time, and I didn’t exactly have any other options,” I said. “What else could they be used for?”

“Anything. You could ask for anything you want, any knowledge you desire.”

“That’s a shame,” I lamented. Pausing for a moment, I added. “Do you think, with enough money, I could get someone to sell me their privileges?”

She shot me a disapproving look and shaking her head in dismay. “Privileges are personal and sacred, Edward. Besides, you don’t need any more; you’re plenty strong as is.”

I scoffed. “I’m a glorified radar, Val, unless I snort some magic coke.”

Her brows furrowed. “I don’t know what that means, but you’re definitely strong. I still remember how it felt to be buried underground. You managed to not only apprehend the Wyvern.” I felt a twitch near my shoulder. “But me as well. Do you have any idea how long it takes a regular mage to wind a spell?” She paused. “Five seconds, at least. Sundri takes only a tad below three. You did it in the blink of an eye.”

“That’s… ” I trailed off.

“Incredible,” She finished. I felt the Wyvern nodding in approval.

“Pathetic,” I corrected. “Why would they even bother at this point?”

“That’s just how it is.” Valeriana sighed. “Mages are still immensely powerful regardless of how slow they are. But what you did… only heroes are capable of such feats. That’s why I know that the Goddess was… not entirely correct.” Her blasphemy came out a whisper. “Once you fix your mana problem, I cannot even fathom how powerful you’ll be.”

I pondered for a moment before I spoke, “Well, I’m glad I have someone I can rely on until then.” Whatever self-doubt threatened to arise were squished. “And can trust them to watch my back when I do.”

The conversation slowly died down as the grass got thicker and taller. It rose all the way to my waist – concealing a myriad of deadly creatures – however, my scan left little uncovered. Our hull was lucrative, a horned rabbit, a bird the size of a chicken, but with a very long red neck, sharp curved beak, and hooks for nails. Finally, the main prize was an antelope. Tall, muscular legs carried it above the high grass, four great horns pointing straight forward, and hide blending in with the yellow meadow. Though, the impressive beast made no effort to hide, instead proudly flaunting itself.

However, it was no match for our predator. Following my instructions, Valeriana crouched, bending her legs, and disappearing into the tall grass. She sprinted, an action impossible if not for the lengthy tail providing balance. Fast, deadly, and efficient. There was barely a scuffle. The two small animals were both cleanly stabbed, but the antelope’s muscles were too dense to be fully penetrated. It wasn’t much of an issue though, the good old bleed ‘em out strategy was used, and by late morning we were done.

We hadn’t forgotten about the Wyvern, either. She had her fill too. The grasslands were filled with various types of snakes. The slithery bastards were everywhere, and since there was no road to follow, we encountered quite a lot of them. All of which were happy to sit and wait for us to step closer, and we did not disappoint them. I even dealt with them myself, using about four times my manapool to create a large field of tiny spikes specifically targeting each serpent.

Impaled they were, and minutes later, unmoving. My scaly servant did not care for the possibility of being poisoned. Everything would be consumed, she assured. And consume she did. They all disappeared, slurped, much like a bowl of noodles. We were on our way back. The Wyvern had reverted back to her human form since I couldn’t both carry her and assist Valeriana with dragging the antelope. And, the fact that she had doubled in weight did not help.

But she did look better. Her wing could move again, albeit weakly, and the stagger she had was less noticeable. Despite walking with her back straight and head high, her gaze was fixed downwards. I rolled my sore shoulders and handed Valeriana the rope. It was finally her turn to haul the carcass.

“You shouldn’t be ashamed,” I abruptly spoke, catching both girls’ attention. “It’s fine to ask for help. Aren’t I your Lord?” She said nothing in return. I waited a few seconds before I followed with, “You know, Val told me you’re not fond of clothes.”

She flinched. “I am not,” She replied grimly. “However, if my Lord desires… I will obey.”

“I do,” I stated, ignoring her grimace. “But I’d like you to hear my out first. You said dragons are proud beings. They take pride in their bodies and are not afraid to show it.”

She gave a heavy nod.

“I agree,” I said. “I think dragons are amazing too. And their close kin as well. I’d even go as far to say that just laying your eyes on one is a great honor in its own.” I paused for a moment. “Wouldn’t you agree?” 

She nodded again. I could feel Valeriana’s narrowed eyes hitting my back. Shooting her a quick smirk, I took a breath and let out an exaggerated sigh. “I just think that not everyone deserves such a gift, so why are you giving it away for free?”

The Wyvern appeared to be in deep thought, quietly mulling over my words. “You’re right, my Lord,” She finally stated. “Most do not.”

I held my chuckle as I heard Valeriana groaning. “I’ll buy you some clothes once we get back. Let me know if there’s something specific you want,” I said.

A quiet moment later, she replied, “Thank you.” It was the first time I had seen some color creeping onto the woman’s face; however, whether it was embarrassment or shame – I did not know.

“You’re welcome,” I said. I contemplated simply giving her a name right here and now but ultimately decided not it. It would not just be meaningless but detrimental. I had no choice but to double down. “Don’t hesitate to ask me for anything,” I asserted. “I have only delayed your naming. Delayed. You will earn it. That I am sure of.” 

A smile appeared on her face, but the sharp teeth alongside the glint in her eyes only made her seem more feral. The rest of the way back was silent, and soon enough, we were out of the forest and back at the village. Our welcoming party consisted of a dozen children as well as a company of dwarves – one wearing a frown while the other was tapping her foot impatiently, her hands on her hips.

Dropping off our game, we were greeted with a rather sarcastic remark. “Oh, thank ye so much, Masta,” The Dwarven woman said. “If all ye needed was a shaggin’, I woulda done it meself.”

This evoked several different reactions; the children were blushing and looking away, Valeriana was in a similar state but had fallen into a coughing fit; the husband’s frown deepened; and finally, the Wyvern was barely containing her ire. She had taken my ‘advice’ to heart, folding her wings around her and bending her tail upwards all to her stomach in a makeshift thong.

I placed a hand on the woman’s shoulder and measured the situation at hand. The Dwarf’s frustrations were not unfounded. I had bought them, dumped them out of nowhere, and disappeared for a few weeks. And even though I hadn’t ordered them to, they had taken it upon themselves to cook for all the gremlins here and care for them.

But the question remained, how would a regular master act right now? Punish the woman for her impudence, jokingly reply back, or get rid of her altogether and sell the Dwarf. Probably, the first, maybe the third, but to be fair – I hadn’t been a very good master. I offered them no food, no clothes, or shelter.

Time stretched, and so did the silence. They were all waiting for me to do… something. The children took a step back, dreading what was to come. Apprehension crept up the short man’s face. He tried pulling his wife back by the elbow, but she wouldn’t budge. Valeriana, however, was oblivious to such worries – knowing already how I was feeling.

“I never got your name, did I?” I said calmly.

“Eldith,” She spat, folding her arms.

“Well, Eldith, before we talk about anything, let me first apologize,” I said. “I haven’t been present these past few weeks, but I plan on changing that.” I slumped my shoulders and shook my head. “I would have gladly taken you up on your offer, but alas, Golrag is a hurdle – our love must remain forbidden.”

The slow methodical sound of the waves was the only thing heard besides Valeriana’s loud snickering. The Dwarven woman was thoroughly stupefied. “Uuhh…” She muttered, still dazed.

What did she expect would happen? Was this outcome really that unexpected? She turned to her husband, only for him to return her confused look.

“Pick a spot,” I said.

“I, uh, I mean, what fer?” She replied in confusion.

“Your new house, of course.”

She stared at me. “Ye’re serious?”

 “Of course,” I reaffirmed. 

The Dwarf kept staring at me, unbelieving. She turned to her husband again, and another look was shared, both reaching an unspoken agreement. A grin slowly surfaced on her face. “I’ll take ye on that,” She said, dragging the man away. “I’ll give ye a visit tonight after he’s asleep,” She whispered loudly, shooting me a wink. The man grumbled audibly as they moved. Eldith barked a few commands at the children, and they quickly dissipated as well.

Valeriana had her eyes narrowed at the short woman. She suggested we return to the inn to clean up and relax, but I turned her down. I still had some work to do, and she didn’t seem too off-put by my refusal quite the opposite. Giving me a tight hug and stealing a whiff off my neck, she said her goodbyes and promised to return by mid-afternoon.

My humble abode awaited me, and I made it suffer no longer, the Wyvern trailing behind me. The first thing that hit me was the smell, and God was it strong.

I took off my cloak and rolled my sleeves. Any and every single paper wet or had been wet was removed. My ‘servant’ shuffled in place for a minute, unsure of what to do, and ultimately decided to lend me a hand. A short while later, the room’s center was void, while the corners were stacks with piles of books. The task itself was not difficult but keeping my eyes from wandering too much was. She had her wings unfurled again and the tail hanging back – everything back on display.  Most of the bruises and cuts were starting to disappear, her body fuller and plumper – bouncing as she worked.

I sat at the farthest away from the door on a stump made of book piles. The woman responsible for the visual torture lagged only for a second and took a seat opposite to me – folding her legs and providing me with a clear frontal view. I forced my eyes to move upwards and had to do it once more until finally reaching her eyes.

I sighed, rubbing the bridge of my nose and distracting myself from the growing stiffness. She was beautiful and all, but this was getting ridiculous. “So, any ideas about what sort of clothing you want?” I asked, addressing the imminent problem.

She shook her head. “My body will change as I rest, mending and growing. It is best to wait afterward.”

I nodded. “And you plan on resting here?” She hesitated. “I don’t mind, but do you mind switching to your other form? This is rather… distracting.”

She glanced down at herself. Her face remained neutral as the long serpentine body replaced the humanoid one. She stretched, coiling around herself, and quickly dozed off.

Leaning back against the stone wall, I released a long-winded sigh. My mind whirled with various ideas, an avalanche I barely managed to stop. Over the last couple of days, I had struggled with figuring out what exactly the mage took. Spells was a term very loosely used. Gathering some mud and shaping it into a ball was considered a spell. Sharpening a rock’s edge was also deemed a spell, and putting two of these pointy ends beside each other was also labeled the same.

Anything that could be recreated from memory was saved and documented in my shop, and let’s just say, I had a lot. The number was in the thousands. But frankly, I had no idea what to do with them. I had never cast a spell before – at least consciously. Every use of magic was more or less improvised, but I was definitely curious to know they worked. I made a completely new spell, a miniature stone spear. A weird sense of déjà vu struck me, and I wondered if this was one of the spells I had lost.

The thought was quickly pushed aside as the tiny weapon began to form. I held it in between two fingers and scratched my head with my other hand. This felt no different than what I was doing. Was this considered casting? Honestly, I had no idea. I tried it a few more times, even going as far as to chant a few words, but the result was the same – so I decided to just continue what I was doing for now.

My first and utmost priority was housing. I settled on a simple enough plan; a house for myself and a slightly smaller one for the Dwarves, if only to keep appearances. The children would get a dormitory, a single building with multiple rooms. I had a couple of blueprints in my mind and drawn on the ground.

The planning was over, now came the execution. I made Lego-sized buildings. Each attempt increased my familiarity with the design, and so I repeated the process again and again. Soon enough, I had built a town of dirt and mud. I was ready. All that was left was scaling up the models, but unfortunately, that required an enormous amount of energy. If I didn’t want to spend weeks working on this, I had only one person I could go to.

Slowly, I removed the Wyvern’s snout off my thigh. She had stirred in her sleep, moving closer – most likely seeking warmth. Grumbling lightly, she buried her head in her body and covered herself with her two wings. I stretched my limbs and headed outside. The two Dwarves were surrounded by children, the antelope’s carcass hanging in the air, gutted. A wooden table was placed not far off, meat was cut and hide treated.

Strangely, I didn’t require any directions to find my target. I could directly somehow sense her. Following the silent instructions, I arrived at a ramshackle hut. Not so different from the rest, but located afar from the rest. It was dimly lit, and stepping through the decrepit doorway, I could barely make out a silhouette. The Arachne’s head turned, giving me pause. Disheveled hair, hunched back, baggy frowning eyes, and face fixed in a snarl. If not for the complete assurance that she could not harm me, I would have turned around and lit the house on fire. I took a deep breath and resumed my steps. The banshee glared at me, a look greatly amplified by her red irises. This was going to be a long day.

 

Announcement

I made a discord server. I'm not sure what it'd be used for, but feel free to join.

https://discord.gg/9gNBVcm7tY

29